The Broken Lands (Empire of the East, #1)

The Broken Lands (Empire of the East #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The passing of thousands of years left the planet Earth a series of broken lands...a mutated world of distant alien empires and near-at-hand rapacious satraps.
The hunted common people were sustained by one last legend - that some day one would come who would "rise the Elephant" and thereby bring back the Golden Age.
This is the gripping novel of the young rebel who found ou...more
Published 1968 by Ace

Derek
The Empire of the East, represented west of the Broken Mountains by a collection of satraps on the frontier, is your fairly standard evil land-conquering organization of a type endlessly imitated/replicated by genre fiction. Purpose of conquest and subjugation: check. Evil overlord who hangs rebels by their thumbs outside the pterodactyl roost: check. Smoking hot evil daughter of overlord: check. Evil wizard who secretly loves evil daughter of overlord: check. One wonders if this story or series...more
Colin
An odd combination of post-atomic-apocalypse-sci-fi and sword-and-sorcery . . . not exactly my kind of combination of genres, but well-written, and with some really good ideas . . .
Jeff Hillendahl
Read this as a stand alone book. When I found out it was a trilogy, I couldn't wait to get my hands on the other two. I now have the Empire of the East trilogy. One of my favorites.
Daniel Swensen
Fun pulp sci-fi in the classic vein, mixing magic and technology in liberal measure. May seem a bit tin-eared to modern sensibilities, but I think it holds up well. That ending is quite the unabashed lead-in to a future book, though!
Jeff Crosby
Odd short novel of a post apocalyptic world with some technology mixed with magic. The story is slight for Saberhagen, but the premise is sound. He obviously saw some of the shortcomings when he combined this with its two sequels into a single revised volume as Empire of the East.
Keith
Three in One; From "Empire Of The East"; Book 1
Peter
Interesting read - bit dated now in some ways
David Vonallmen
David Vonallmen marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Heather Perkins
Heather Perkins marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Clay
Clay added it
Jul 07, 2014
Jimmy Pedersen
Jimmy Pedersen marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Angelica Penteado
Angelica Penteado marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Sergio
Sergio marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Tristan
Tristan marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Paul W
Paul W added it
Jun 08, 2014
Alazzar
Alazzar marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Stormytiggs
Stormytiggs marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
The First Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1) Berserker (Berserker, #1) The Second Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #2) The Complete Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1-3) The Lost Swords: The First Triad (Lost Swords, #1-3)