When the Snow Fell

When the Snow Fell (Joel Gustafsson #3)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Joel Gustafson’s journey toward becoming a man continues.

As it has in the past, the first snow of the year signifies to Joel Gustafson his very own New Year’s Eve. So when the snow begins to fall on a cold November day, Joel gets busy making new resolutions—three, to be exact.

As the winter days pass, life becomes ever more complicated. Joel has questions and the answers d...more
Published August 11th 2009 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 1996)

Celia
When I bought this I didn't realize that it was a children's story and part of a series. Some stories for children appeal to adults. This one didn't appeal to me. I need to read book descriptions more carefully in the future.
Barbara
Henning Mankell, the successful adult mystery writer, is trying his hand at the lucrative young adult market. While the writing in When Snow Fell is evocative and beautiful, it is hard to imagine young readers engaging with this book. Additionally, the setting is the 1950s in a small town in northern Sweden, not a sure-fire attention grabber. Thirteen-year-old Joel Gustafson celebrates his own personal New Year’s Eve when the first snowfall of winter comes with resolutions and all. As always, th...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

On the first snowfall of the year, 14-year-old Joel always makes his New Year's resolutions.

This year he's made three: live to be 100, patch up his relationship with his father, and see a girl naked.

Life keeps getting in the way, however, of him reaching his goals. His father is a lumberjack who goes on drinking binges and seems unhappy with life. His mother abandoned them years ago. To add to his plate, he's trying to navigate girls, first kisses, bullies,...more
Anni
First time I read a non-Wallander by Mankell. Readable, though I'm certainly not part of the ather audience (which would be teenage boys). He touches on crucial issues of growing up without ever lecturing. Personally, I will stick to Mankell's adult fiction in te future though.
Charlène
Histoire trop lente, on attends qu'il se passe quelque chose...
En revanche, belle transition pour Joel, garçon très intelligent qui se prépare à passer dans le monde adulte.
Catherine Woodman
The third in the trilogy about Joel, a 12 year old boy in rural 1950's Sweden (Mankell himself??). This continued to be an odd series from the start to the finish. Joel is not all that likable, nor is his father a model parent (by any means)--in this one he starts to proposition women, and seeing his father as competition. His father also lapses into drinking in this one, and you start to see why Joel has this pseudo-adult persona--he had to take it on. I liked this series over all but I would n...more
Noussa Assma
I like this book
Kelly
Thirteen-year-old Jacob lives in small-town 1950s Sweden with his father, a sailor turned logger, in this coming-of-age tale. Jacob is forced to be his "own mother," as he puts it, responsible for the shopping, cooking, and cleaning, as his mother left several years ago. By the end of the story, Jacob has learned a bit about growing up, and a bit about how to still be a kid. Very well written, though the translator's choices seemed odd at some points.
Judy Mcdonald
I have been reading a few books from Swedish authors. This is a young adult book, imaginative and dark with the central character seeming more innocent than I expect a thirteen year old to be. Like me he was born in 1945. I also read Italian Shoes by Henning Mankell, a story about an isolated retired doctor. Mankell gives a good sense of location and creates vivid characters.
Eileen Doyle
Nicely written coming of age story about a boy in Northern Sweden who has in many ways already grown-up, as he tries to understand the crazy adults who make up his world and his growing curiosity about sex. Definitely not an adventure story, unless your adventures involve lots of snow. Has a similar feel to My Life As A Dog.
Roy
This is a magical book written from the perspective of a child. It is a companion piece to 2 books I haven't read yet. It is a young adult novel but is fascinating to all us older children, too.
Sara Carter
I don't think I was the target audience for this book. Joel's quest to see a naked woman didn't really do a lot for me but his relationship with his father and friends felt authentic.
Pat
Mankell is one of my favorite writers, but this book was boring.

coming of age...sometimes funny, sometimes sad, mostly not very interesting.
Mariana
I'm enjoying this coming of age series of novels about a young boy growing up at the end of the 1950's in a small town in rural Sweden.
Joan Cobb
This is a Swedish coming of age story. The writing is great and the thoughts and actions of our protagonist are very endearing. Nice read.
Frida
I found the book very boring and uninteresting, though I suppose it could have been because I actually read the book in German.
Anna
Short coming of age novel about a Swedish boy in a small village during the 1950's. Funny and sad and enjoyable.
Kieran
A kids book, very do goody. Troublesome child makes good. Hovwever, Mankell writes well enough.
Andy Weston
written for teenagers - but a great short read - Scandinavian setting tremendous, and good humour
Anezina
i enjoyed it big time......
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Salva
Salva marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Valpuri
Valpuri marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • Fireflies
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk, #2)
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • Freaks and Revelations
  • Catwalk (On the Runway, #2)
  • Alis
  • Chasing the Bear (A Young Spenser Novel)
  • In Lane Three, Alex Archer (Alex Archer, #1)
  • To the Blight (Wheel of Time, #1-2)
  • A Kidnapped Santa Claus
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • Kisses and Lies (Scarlett Wakefield, #2)
  • There Will Be Wolves
Henning Mankell is an internationally known Swedish crime writer, children's author and playwright. He is best known for his literary character Kurt Wallander.

Mankell splits his time between Sweden and Mozambique. He is married to Eva Bergman, Swedish director and daughter of Ingmar Bergman.
More about Henning Mankell...
Faceless Killers (Kurt Wallander, #1) The Fifth Woman (Wallander, #6) Sidetracked (Wallander #5) The Dogs of Riga (Kurt Wallander #2) The Man Who Smiled (Wallander #4)

“To grow up is to wonder about things; to be grown up is to slowly forget the things you wondered about as a child.” 46 likes