Start by marking “The Book of the Penis” as Want to Read:
The Book of the Penis

The Book of the Penis

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The almighty penis (a.k.a. dick, schlong, pecker, rod, tool, johnson, etc.) has long been a major object of adoration, revulsion, ridicule, amazement, joy, pride, and even frustration. But does anyone really, fully understand the penis? Novelist, playwright, and journalist Maggie Paley completely submerged herself in the obsessive world of this most forthright of organs -- ...more
Published May 3rd 2000 by Grove Press (first published June 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of the Penis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of the Penis

Shannon
Another edit: Okay so I finished/skimmed the rest o' this. Basically, it fails. I guess part of it may be me failing as a reader b/c I already know enough about dick for this to be very informative. But still.. I'm a snob and I maintain that a book that aims to be nonfiction should have, you know, citations. And not just make things up. There was some comment in there that was like "gay men like big penises and care more about penis size than straight women. also they have tons of sex b/c they a ...more
Caitlin Brast
Cute, and anecdotal, but no real content. It's just a light read, less for actually reading, and more for bringing out at bachelorette parties.
Jason
There was some interesting trivia contained here, which has spurred me toward more authoritative sources. I do regret Ms. Paley did not cite her research better: we are given a mere "selected bibliography." Overall, Paley presents a passable overview of such a voluminous subject in an approachable style akin to that of Mary Roach.
Patricia
This is a terrible book if you're looking to gain any sort of reliable information about the penis. It reads more like a rag-magazine than an actual book with facts. She even starts out the book saying it's just a collection of things she has heard at parties and a few facts she's picked up along the way.
Kaitlin Mooney
the first two chapters were awesome and really interesting but the rest of the book was too anectodotal and not even fun to read. It was a good book for the shock value and had its moments but its mot the type of book I would keep for my book shelf.
Aleyna
I really enjoyed reading this book and I found that it led me to ask my boyfriend questions so that I knew him a little better and just men in general. I would be interested to read the female counterpart.
Brittany Kubes
Errr, this book is a waste of time. At one point, the author prefaces a thought with, "In my admittedly unscientific sample..." -->she should have said that in the intro to describe the entire book.
Amy
This book was interesting, a lot of penile trivia and heresay, not too technical or scientific.
Sanfordgrant
This book will inform you on everything penis related. shocked me and made me giggle.
Unclebill
Education and fun. I knew so little before reading this book.
It was fun, too!
Meutia
this is really pleasant to read, but not as good as vagina monologues.
Sherri
funny with unknown or less heard of facts.
Rose Heredia
Very disappointing and forgettable.
Amanda Greenlee
Amanda Greenlee is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2014
Andrea Martin
Andrea Martin marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Robin Mcdonald
Robin Mcdonald marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Lilian Hütti
Lilian Hütti is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Jody Galvin
Jody Galvin marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Karin
Karin added it
May 03, 2014
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014