Start by marking “Some Words With a Mummy” as Want to Read:
Some Words With a Mummy

Some Words With a Mummy

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Published (first published October 23rd 1845)

To ask other readers questions about Some Words With a Mummy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Words With a Mummy

Exina
The narrator is invited to take part in the unwrapping and autopsy of a mummy. The scientists find the body in a surprisingly good condition. As the title suggests, the mummy is very much alive, due to his special genes and the unusual way he was embalmed.

But it is not a horror story! Actually, Allamistakeo is a very sophisticated and polite mummy, having a lofty conversation with the men gathered there.

The story starts hilarious, and it is overall quite funny, though I quickly got bored as th
Leah

I always celebrate Poe's birthday with cupcakes a reading or two of his work. I opted to forgo my usual picks and my favorites and instead chose a short story often overlooked: Some Words With a Mummy. Some Words With a Mummy is among Poe's latter works, this one being published in 1845, just a few years before his death. One thing I love about the Victorian era is what was considered a fun hobby: the occult and mysticism (as mentioned in my review of The
Cornelia
SOME WORDS WITH A MUMMY is a creative, well written short story. Poe is amazing, though he wrote in the Victorian age his stories have such a fresh, modern out look to them. He is so talented at satire and this story has an incredible funny ending with his sarcastic touch. If you like satire, I highly recomend this short story.
Timothy Morrow
A great satire joke on modern life, asking the question, are we even better then the Egyptians at that point of time? Quite entertaining......Timothy~
David
Jul 05, 2014 David rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Having got permission to examine a mummy, a group of men open the sarcophagus and find the engraved name of the mummy, Allamistakeo. Word play! Well, they proceed, find the mummy has all its organs intact, and decide to jolt it with electricity, which awakens it! Being that it's Edgar Allan Poe you might think he'd describe in gruesome detail something about the mummy's desiccated body or the terror the men feel. No, instead when electric charge is applied to its foot, the mummy rears back its l ...more
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
It was a pleasant read. I even laughed at many places,which I rarely do when reading Poe. An Egyptian mummy is revived,quite accidentally,by a group of friends to whom it was lent by the museum for study. They try to gather details of life at that time and ask him if life was as developed as in the present time. They point out few important inventions of the present time and ask him to comment on that. The mummy,who was a Count,shame them by pointing out the marvels of his time. In a subtle way, ...more
sabisteb
Auch diesen Teil habe ich mir auf HR2 angehört.
Diesmal für der Traum, in welchen Poe die Geschichte "Gespräch mit einer Mumie" des echten Poe träumt, ihm den Hinweis, was das letzte Wort von Jimmy Farrell bedeutete. Er bricht noch einmal in die Leichenhalle ein, wird aber überrascht und entführt. Für seine Neugier muss einer mit dem Leben zahlen und auch Anna (das kleine Mädchen, welches sich als Prostituierte herausstellt) wird verstümmelt. War diese Entdeckung wirklich diesen hohen Preis wert?
Tariq Bokahri
Such an odd story it left me wondering so many things. i haven't read many of poe's work but i'm familiar with his work and this short didn't feel like any of his other work as it felt a bit of satire statement on the state of the upper layer of society of the time.
Dunya Al-Mishqab
This one in particular was so odd. First of all, it's not the unfamiliarity of a mummy being brought back to life to have a little chit-chat with them, but the fact that they had their conversation in ancient Egyptian tongue! It seemed to me that it sounded like some sort of an initiation to an anti-religious belief. Plus, where would anyone find any person for that matter who spoke ancient Egyptian very fluently!
In another hand, I found it slightly strange and contradicting to have the count s
Abby
Interesting idea- mummifying oneself in order to see what life will be like in 1,000 years or so. This story was packed with Poe's dry wit.
Ralph McEwen
A reanimated mummy explains why his mummification worked.

The dated verbage must have made this book difficult to record.
Audio Book MP3 downloaded from
Public Domain stories from Project Gutenberg, that are read by volunteers.
I listen to these short stories while walking to and from work.

Play Duration: 00:36:25
Read By: Gregg Margarite
Mark
Funny and extremely clever- especially the fact that in the story, the modern people (in the 19th century at the time) could only find one superiority when compared to the ancient Egyptians: cough drops. This actually has a lot of truth. Ancient peoples were more advanced than most people give them credit for.
Ebster Davis
Extremely satirical and not what I was expecting at all. I enjoyed it very much.

The only thing is, like with a lot of Poe's lit, it's very archaic (at least by today's standards) which I personally find amusing but some people might find it annoying and difficult to understand.
Chelsi
The process in which Poe describes as being "embalmed" only to wake a couple centuries later reminds me very much of the modern-day cryogenics.
MB Taylor
Downed a free epub from feedbooks.com and read it on my Nook.

An interesting piece of absurdity.
Arax Miltiadous
πρέπει να ναι τα πάθη
σεβαστά.
Marts  (Thinker)
A strange tale by Edgar Allan Poe!
Esra Nur
Esra Nur is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2015
Ahmed Jadaa
Ahmed Jadaa marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Tracella Shelton
Tracella Shelton marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Paul Madukon
Paul Madukon marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Ahmed Ibrahim
Ahmed Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
  • The Squabble
  • Bir Adam Yaratmak
  • Ben Ruhi Bey Nasılım
  • Aziz Bey Hadisesi
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr ...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings The Complete Stories and Poems The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Essential Tales and Poems The Cask of Amontillado