Start by marking “Master the Art of Running: Raising Your Performance with the Alexander Technique” as Want to Read:

Running is both a popular competitive sport and a highly effective form of exercise—a simple, inexpensive way to achieve a wide range of cardiovascular, muscular, and emotional benefits. Now, by combining running with the healthful body-awareness principles of the Alexander Technique, runners can improve their competitive performance while multiplying the health benefits ...more
Published March 28th 2006 by Collins & Brown

To ask other readers questions about Master the Art of Running, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Master the Art of Running

Aaron
Mar 05, 2012 Aaron rated it it was ok
The parts motivated by the Alexander Technique are pretty good, especially the emphasis on keeping the neck relaxed. I hear advice about keeping the shoulders relaxed a lot, but those two areas work together. Where this book really falters is when it advances the hot nonsense of Pose technique. Pose, for those unfamiliar, is a school of running created by some dude from Russia and brought to America because too many Eastern Europeans are really good at physics, and when they are instructed to ...more
Michel B.
Aug 22, 2010 Michel B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
Good use of humour and sprinkled with interesting anecdotes - both personal and from the world of professional athletes - make this an easy read. Yet, it's an instructional book so there are many techniques one learns about, to help run better - ahem, should I say to help master running well. The book is so easy to read that I've got to go back over a few chapters to review and practice some of the information.

Since I'm rather new to running, I can't really comment from experience, other than t
Kyla Squires
Pretty clear directions on developing and maintaining good running form. A couple good drills, and tests to determine some of your tendancies. The list of dos and don'ts at the end seem very useful. I think this has already improved my ease of running, but I'll wait till I've spent a little more time implementing the techniques in this book before I give it a rating.
L
Sep 10, 2011 L rated it it was amazing
Shelves: artemis-inspired
This book focuses on running using the Alexander Technique which involves relaxing muscles that are not in use and preventing energy leaks through poor posture. While it predates the barefoot craze it comes to the same advice, forefoot landing - light and quick. The advice is easy to understand and put into practice from "We run like we sit" and how to improve posture to photos of elite athletes and a rundown of their strengths and weaknesses. Caroline Kluft and Ed Moses are particularly ...more
Jessica
Sep 09, 2016 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, running
This had some valuable ideas, but the idea of basing your entire training program around them seems a little silly to me. Read it, take it with a grain of salt, adapt it as you see fit - or not at all.
JDK1962
Apr 03, 2013 JDK1962 rated it really liked it
Actually 3.5 stars...for what it has, it probably could have been shorter. But it definitely has some very useful coaching on running form, and made me interested in checking out Alexander Technique, Pose Method, and Chi Running.
Melanie Hopkins
Jun 16, 2008 Melanie Hopkins rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melanie by: Ian
Really helpful. Especially for those of us who are inexplicably running a half marathon in five weeks even though we've only run twice in the past 6 months.
Danny T
Jan 28, 2013 Danny T rated it liked it
You should read this if you are new to running - there is a lot of stuff goign on in your mind as you run. This book helps you master the mind part of the sport...
Mira
Mira rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Essie Jansto
Essie Jansto rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2013
Chris Chen
Chris Chen rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2014
Kelsey Ho
Kelsey Ho rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2013
Steven Ulbrich
Steven Ulbrich rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2014
Peggy Rapp
Peggy Rapp rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2011
Cathy Kroll
Cathy Kroll rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2014
Peter Martin
Peter Martin rated it liked it
May 17, 2014
Micah Joel
Micah Joel rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Sally
Sally rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Mel
Mel rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2014
David Morley
David Morley rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Queren King-orozco
Queren King-orozco rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2013
greglowe
greglowe rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2016
Superstartez
Superstartez rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Jamie Thin
Jamie Thin rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Jack
Jack rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2011
Laird Dinsmore
Laird Dinsmore rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2013
Gareth mcintyre
Gareth mcintyre rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Layla
Layla rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2011
Kadri
Kadri rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2015