Start by marking “One Brown Bunny” as Want to Read:
One Brown Bunny

One Brown Bunny

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Award-winning duo Marion Dane Bauer and Ivan Bates bring counting to life with this new sweet story about friendship!

One brown bunny went out one day
to find a friend who'd like to play.

Join brown bunny in search of friends in the forest. Marion Dane Bauer's charming and ryhmic text paired with Ivan Bates's bold illustrations will draw children into a wonderful world of fri
Published February 1st 2009 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about One Brown Bunny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Brown Bunny

MissInformation
Brown bunny is looking for playmates in the woods, but no one seems to want to play. Rhyming, clever and simple text make this one sweet to read aloud.
Soft watercolor illustrations.
Christine Turner
One brown bunny went out one day to find a friend who'd like to play. Three black bears crunched their lunch. "I'm here," said Bunny. "May I munch?" But the bears all growled and left in a bunch. Newbery Honor winner Marion Dane Bauer and Ivan Bates create a perfect read-aloud picture book about the wonderful world of friendship. Hop along with one brown bunny as he tries to get two red birds, three black bears, four blue fish, and more to come out and play.

Subjects

Animals -- Infancy -- Juveni
babyhippoface
One brown bunny goes in search of a friend. Along the way he meets two red birds, three black bears, four blue fish, five gray mice, and more, but none of them have time to play.

Ivan Bates' cartoon-style illustrations are adorable. While the story isn't anything fabulous or ground-breaking, this book would make a terrific Easter or springtime gift for little ones learning their colors and numbers.
Inna Nako
-i enjoyed this book because it can be used in a variety of ways
-colors of animals
-rhyming words
-counting the numbers one through ten
-can be used as a way to start a math assignment where children can make their own little booklets of numbers
-can also be used in a science lesson about different animals and there environments: water, land, swamps; also includes clouds and flowers
Heidi
I enjoyed the illustrations. I liked that Bunny found friends, since I was beginning to be feel very sorry for him (and angry at the others' being insensitive). This could work a bit for counting while still having a bit of a story with it. Could work for a preschool storytime, but I'm not feeling very much behind it. Probably best as a lap-read with a toddler and preschooler.
Dolly
Aug 03, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet little counting book with adorable watercolor illustrations and a peppy rhyming narrative that is sure to entertain young children. We enjoyed reading this book together and we really liked the picture with all the different clouds in different shapes, reflecting the pinks and purples of the setting sun.
Jo-Ann

Nonfiction:

Activity/Movement/Song:

Craft:

Vicki
This is a cute story for counting, rhyming, and seeing different animals of the forest, but there is no explanation of why the animals do not want to play with Brown Bunny, then at the end all of a sudden they do?? I don't really get it.
KMC
Gentle, simple--would be perfect for a baby storytime. One thing I liked about it in particular was that it included a page about clouds, so it'd work well in a cloud-themed storytime (not an abundance of theee out there...).
Pamela Ann Will
I fell in love with One Brown Bunny. It has a very sweet message about friendship that all children can relate to. I have taken it with me to family gatherings to read to my nieces and nephews.
The Library Lady
The triplet rhymes feel as if a line has been left out--I tried reading this out loud and it didn't FLOW. Cute idea, cute art, but in the end, it flops.
Erin
Lovely illustrations, and the theme of being "left out" is useful, but the resolution is a little too pat and seems to leave the theme hanging.
Tricia
girls really enjoyed this book about a bunny seeking out friends. counting book. illustrations very detailed. will try for outreach.
Leah
Spoiler alert -- it all works out for bunny when s/he finds a friend or two. Counting and various woodland creatures feature in this title.
Melissa
I thought this was a very cute counting book. Zachary liked the rhymes, but I may try to read it again when he is older.
Lbrown107
I would use this book in a second grade classroom to talk about animal environments/habitats and basic needs of animals.
Kelli
Rhyming book that calls for some action. Pretty predictable. Cute illustrations. Good for a backup book.
Bree
Notes:
like the illustrations enough but not really a fan of the sort-of rhyming story
Owen
The bunny goes everywhere to find a friend to play with.
Chelsea
Very playful and colorful. All bunny wants is a friend!
Tina
"colors, counting to Ten, bunnies"
Good for colors and counting.
Alice
Jl
Jl added it
Nov 13, 2014
Emily Raup
Emily Raup marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Sandra Pfeifer
Sandra Pfeifer marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Marion Dane Bauer is the author of more than eighty books for young people, ranging from novelty and picture books through early readers, both fiction and nonfiction, books on writing, and middle-grade and young-adult novels. She has won numerous awards, including several Minnesota Book Awards, a Jane Addams Peace Association Award for RAIN OF FIRE, an American Library Association Newbery Honor Aw ...more
More about Marion Dane Bauer...
Am I Blue?: Coming Out from the Silence On My Honor Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book Runt Land of the Buffalo Bones: The Diary of Mary Ann Elizabeth Rodgers, An English Girl in Minnesota (Dear America)