Frozen Tracks

Frozen Tracks (Inspector Winter #5)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,230 ratings  ·  55 reviews
It's autumn in Gothenburg and an anxious mother calls the police: her little boy was lured into a car by a man offering sweets. The child is returned unharmed but then the same thing happens with a little girl, and then another. Each child attends a different nursery, and each parent contacts a different police station, so, at first, no connection is established and the re...more
Published June 5th 2008 by Vintage (first published 2001)

Toni Osborne
Book3, in the Erik Winter series

This author is slowly growing on me or is it that I am now becoming more accustomed to his style, a style that is haunting and psychologically shrewd. “Frozen Tracks” is a superbly crafted crime novel, a compelling and dark thriller, definitely the best I have read from this author so far.

A glimpse into the story:

DCI Erik Winter and his team are baffled by a rash of beatings in Gothenburg that have nearly killed several young men, a distinctive mark left by the...more
harryknuckles
A number of students have been attacked in Gothenburg. Inspector Winter and his team are puzzled, not only by the strange mark the weapon leaves, but also the sometimes evasive nature of the students themselves. Are they trying to hide something?

Meanwhile, young children are being abducted from playgrounds across the city. A man offering sweets is tempting them into his car, only to return them before anyone notices. The parents pick up on it from their child's stories, and report it. However,...more
Kevin
This story held me just captivated enough to keep reading, even though something about Edwardson's writing style really annoyed me. There were things I liked about this book: the personal lives of the detectives; the role of the cold, gray climate; the whole Christmas factor...made it a cozy read. I held out for what I thought was sure to be a great suspenseful ending, and the payoff wasn't entirely satisfactory. The last 30 or so pages of this book are so ambiguous and convoluted that I had to...more
Lucy
This book was a typical crime thriller which forms part of the Inspector Winter series. I have never read any Inspecter Winter books before but I will certainly look out for them. He is a likeable chap (unlike his fellow cantakerous literary detectives comme Morse and Wallender) and he seems to be affected quite deeply by the circumstances of the case (which is often poorly done in crime writing).

I thought it was an interesting and slightly different story and I had no idea what the twist/who t...more
Chris
I am trying out different Scandinavian detective story authors. This story was "3-stars good." I liked Erik Winter and the other detectives on his team involved in the cases. There were 2 cases happening at the same time which ended up being related. That means there were many characters (with Swedish names) being introduced. There is a lot of dialogue in this book; so with all those people being interviewed, it did make for pages and pages of dialogue. But some of it I really enjoyed because of...more
Kristin

a review, as requested by ted...
this novel was a good read, has some engaging dry humor, moves right along at a good pace, has nice human elements to the story, has good characters. on the downside, edwardson often takes us into the mind (and point of view) of the criminal, who is something of a cliche - and i'm not sure having this point of view added to the story. as a whole, it's not the most original story, but the interesting characters give it enough newness to keep the story alive. it get...more
Gina
One of the Inspector Winter mysteries set in Gothenburg, Sweden. This series provides intriguing mysteries and interesting characters. There is the jazz loving Erik Winter, the older family man Bertil Ringmar, the hard-nosed Fredrik Halders, and the black Swedish detective Aneta Djanali. Two sets of crimes need to be solved. First, there are several young students who have been assaulted and almost killed. Second, there are several children who have been snatched by a stranger for short periods...more
Linny
Edwardson excels here, much better than Death Angels in its pace, suspense, character development, humanity towards his protagonist, much abused in childhood. He has eliminated the excessive chatter that was in Death Angels, but left enough to convey the humor and personal lives of the several detectives. Brings together the 2 seemingly unconnected crimes against small kidnappings of the children and the brutal attacks on young men. Very compelling writing. Too bad more of his novels aren't tran...more
Kim 'BookAddict'
Not my cup of tea, but I really liked the narrating of the audiobook. :)
Blair Kauffman
Recommended by a librarian colleague prior to visiting Gottenburg, Sweden, so I read it while traveling that part of the world. It's not as good as the current fad trilogy "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series but is a good introduction to an off beat Swedish world with recognizable places for anyone visiting Gottenburg. No regrets taking time to read it, but it's not great literature.
Kay
Slow, slow, slow fast with obscure stories of the detectives thrown in. Really the book is well written but I am not a fan of books that take you along for a long time and then end all at once with a fast and confusing conclusion. I did find glimpses of Winter's life interesting and think he is an excellent example of how many hours police put in on the job to the detriment of their relationship with their own families. Also interesting were the references to how the Christmas holiday season is...more
Rosemary
Always looking for interesting new detective writers and here's another good Swedish author with an interesting detective, Eric Winter and his family and fellow detectives. Author was a journalist and lecturer at Gotheberg Univ. where the novel is set. He has won Swedish crime awards. Different from Wallander. In this one you get to know the childlike/adult perpetrator from the beginning and have some sympathy for him and what made him the way he is. I liked the characterisation of the other det...more
Becky
I'd never read anything by Edwardson, and thought it was worth a try. I'm very glad I did so, a really interesting story of child abduction and abuse, very nicely put together story and well written characters. The translation was very well done too although there were a couple of points where what seemed like stock phrases were used, I don't know if this is down to the translation or the original writing. I will look out for more by this author.
Morgan
"Edwardson is an acquired taste. As we say in the computer world he 'streams'. You may go two sentences into a paragraph or even into the next paragraph before realizing another character is in a dialogue externally with another character or internally with himself. I like his style, but you have to stay alert and not assume what's what. I am not going to review his Eric Winter Series. You can try one and make up your own mind"
Virginia Walter
Edwardson follows in the tradition of great Swedish mystery writers like Sjowall and Wahloo, Henning Mankell (the master), and Stieg Larsson. Detective Chief Inspector Erik Winter is faced with two bizarre crimes in his Gothenburg jurisdiction at Christmas time. I wasn't completely convinced by the series of accidents and coincidences that lead to the solution of the crimes, but I do like Winter and plan to read more.
Donna
Way too much dialogue & about 30% of it totally trivial or unnecessarily repetitive. Two different story plots evolving at the same time & unrelated to each other. The motive for some of the crimes in one plot line is extremely lame, when it's finally revealed. And the other plot line, when solved, leaves more questions than answers about the motivation behind the perpetrator. I won't be reading this author again...
Natasha  Briggs
This is the first book in Edwardson's series that I have read. It was interesting and educated me about Sweden and surrounding areas. It took me a while to get into the story and it became better the further I read. It is was building up to a great ending, but to my disappointment the ending was not what I expected. Still a good book all around and if I came across more of his books I would probably read them.

K
First time reading this author, but won't be the last. Reminiscent of Stieg Larsson-- an enjoyable and well crafted plot and well told throughout.
Definitely another very fine example of the Scandinavian noir that I really enjoy.
Linda
I found this in the sale bin at my campus book store. I was not familiar with the series, but that didn't seem to matter. The book is set in Gothenburg (Goteborg). I read it quite a while ago and recall having a hard time picturing locations and distances. perhaps I should have looked up a map. A good read and the translation retained the Swedish spellings for names and most places, which I prefer.
Anita
interesting twist, well written, easy read.
Wanrong
The second book by this author, but think it's like the 5th in the series, which meant that I didn't quite understand some of the side-plots running in the detectives' lives. Unlike Mankell or even Nesser, I felt that this book was slightly harder to relate to - but nonetheless, a good thriller that took a close look into the psyche of the perpetrator.
Palmreader
Not nearly as dark as others in this series. I keep waiting for the other shoe to fall. This was a good read, but not as intriguing as others. Winter's personal life is not the misery it used to be. Perhaps he's growing up? Never sure.
I do think he's an intriguing character, as are his colleagues.
Ldemaree
I'm really interested in murder mysteries written by writers from Sweden, Iceland, etc. This is the first book I've read by this particular author, and it was excellent. It seems to be in the middle of a series, but I never felt I didn't understand the characters or their motivation.

I highly recommend.
Agata
A very good book, the further you reach in Åke's Inspector Winter series the better it gets, patience is rewarded. I like his unpretentious, modern style. I appreciate the characters creations and small micro world of my favourite Göteborg which he managed to depict in his novels.
Lawrence
This is my first Ake Edwardson. It's a "four-star mystery". It has all of the great police/home details that I have come to associate with Swedish mystery books. And it is very suspenseful. A real page-turner at the end. To say anymore would be to start spoiling.
Jane
I did not like this as much as some of Edwardson's other Inspector Winter books. I found it rambling and overlong, even though I continued to enjoy his style of writing. I felt that he had lost his way, and didn't know quite how to come to a satisfactory conclusion.
Urszula
The story keeps you chained to the book till you finish it. The tension doesn't go down even on the last page and at the same time there's really a lot of "internal life" of the characters. Nice piece, really nice
I don't remember if it was this book or Never End, but one of them (or maybe both) use cognitive interviewing techniques, which was terribly interesting. Obviously from the title, this is a winter-time read.
Christoph Fischer
Just when I thought I was over Scandinavian crime fiction with its formulas "Frozen Tracks" pulled me right back into it. Similar to his previous work in many ways but very entertaining and compelling.
The translation 1 4 Oct 24, 2013 07:09AM
  • The Cruel Stars of the Night (Ann Lindell, #6)
  • The Fourth Man
  • The Inspector and Silence (Inspector Van Veeteren #5)
  • The Black Path (Rebecka Martinsson, #3)
  • When the Devil Holds the Candle (Inspector Konrad Sejer, #4)
  • Dregs (William Wisting #6)
  • Unspoken (Anders Knutas, #2)
  • Shadow
  • Burned (Henning Juul #1)
  • Voices (Inspector Erlendur #5)
  • The Torso (Inspector Huss #3)
  • Between Summer's Longing and Winter's End (The Fall of the Welfare State, #1)
  • The Darkest Room (The Öland Quartet #2)
  • Frozen Moment (Christian Tell, #1)
Åke Edwardson is a Swedish author of detective fiction, and a professor at Gothenburg University, the city where many of his Inspector Winter novels are set. Edwardson has had many jobs, including a journalist and press officer for the United Nations, and his crime novels have made him a three-time winner of the Swedish Crime Writers' Award for best crime novel. His first novel to be translated in...more
More about Åke Edwardson...
Death Angels (Inspector Winter, #1) Sun and Shadow (Inspector Winter, #3) The Shadow Woman (Inspector Winter #2) Never End (Inspector Winter, #4) Sail of Stone (Inspector Winter, #6)