Liars Anonymous

Liars Anonymous

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  46 reviews
“Hands On Emergency. This is Jessie. Is there an emergency in the vehicle?”

Roadside Assistance Operator, Jessie Dancing, knows what it’s like to take a life, and she’s trying to put that memory behind her. But when the call comes in from real estate tycoon Darren Markson, she thinks she hears him being killed while she’s on the phone with him. This can’t be, but she knows...more
Published April 14th 2009 by Minotaur Books

Lynne
Just finished reading “Liars Anonymous“, a book that is not my type of novel at all.
However, I surprised myself by liking it a lot! Despite myself!

The setting was southern Arizona and the Mexican-American border area. I usually prefer novels set in the United Kingdom or the Eastern U.S. or Canada.
The novel featured Jessie Dancing, a hard-bodied ex-con complete with tattoos and steel-toed shoes. Not my usual protagonist of choice.
The novel is a stand-alone work. I usually read series.
The premise...more
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Jessie Dancer
SETTING: Arizona
SERIES: Standalone
RATING: 4.0

She's a murderer. Even though judged innocent in a court of law, Jessie Dancing knows that she killed Walter Racine, and for the best of reasons—he had abused one of her friends as a child and was now poised to do the same to her friend's daughter. She's trying to put her life back together and is working as a Roadside Assistance Operator in Phoenix. But then she gets the call that changes her life, that brings her back to th...more
Kathleen Hagen
Liars Annonymous, by Louise Ure, talking book borrowed from National Library Service for the Blind. Grade B.

Jessie Dancing is a woman who finally found out as an adult that she was adopted, and that once her parents had children, her mother wasn’t interested in her anymore. She was a person who put justice for her friends first. Her friend Katherine had apparently been abused by her uncle and she was afraid Katherine’s daughter would be abused as well. So Jessie took care of it by killing the un...more
Laren
Our protagonist is an operator for a vehicle contact system (much like On-call) who receives an odd call from a car just involved in a hit-and-run. When the police are dispatched to the scene, they find no one there. The wife of the car's owner claims that it isn't her husband's voice on the recording of the call, and that he is alive and well on a business trip. But our operator heard evidence of a possible kidnapping and doesn't quite believe the wife so she launches her own investigation.

Comp...more
Robin
This was my first title by Ure, who has already won a Shamus award. I love the way she puts words together, with precision, passion and beauty. Probably this isn't a book for everyone, as it's very very dark - I think the true definition of noir is not only are you not so sure about all of the characters but the main character as well - and the ending is rough. In it Jessie Dancer, a phone operator for an Onstar type service, gets a call from a client who (it sounds like) is being assaulted in t...more
Nikki
The relatively small number of stars for this book does not reflect the quality of the writing, the plot, the setting or the characterization, but only that I guess it was just a bit too dark for me. As in The Fault Tree, Ure has a protagonist with a lot of issues, and as the book goes on more and more is revealed. The initial event is a very up-to-the-minute one, in which protagonist Jessie, who is an operator with a service similar to GM's OnStar, gets a call about a car accident that quickly...more
Susan
Jessie Dancing is forced to return to Tucson, which she fled after she was acquitted of murder. But Jessie really killed a man, for reasons she thought sufficient. Her father believed her innocent plea, but her cold, unforgiving mother knew that she was guilty. Jessie has punished herself with grueling workouts, with meaningless sex, with pain. She's on the edge of another murder, with a policeman who worked her last case sure she's guilty again. Jessie should leave, but she knows that a child i...more
Joy
Interesting first book by the author. A
rodeside-assistance operator is asked to follow up on a call by giving info directly to the wife of the caller, which leads to a major adventure in solving a crime. I thought the book was
an interesting idea, but too much travel to Mexico and relationships that were not really clear. Always good quotes: "Pain is just weakness leaving the body." "Same circus, different clowns." Francis Bacon: "A man that studies revenge keeps his own wounds green." Alfred Hit...more
Patty
This was a DNF for me. I wasn't crazy about the premise and then made the mistake of reading part of a review. The review confirmed my belief that I wasn't going to enjoy this book, so I decided to just quit. Have too many other things to read to bother with ones I won't enjoy.

I read Louise Ure's first three books and enjoyed them tremendously, so I think it was the subject matter, not the writing style. In fact, I could finish this based on how she pulls people along, I just don't think I would...more
Alex
I loved almost everything about this book. The Southwestern setting is vivid, the protagonist is appealingly flawed, and the supporting characters are well drawn. The plot is twisty, surprising, and satisfying. The writing is good and there are some strong images, such as the Day of the Dead details and some of the borderland ephemera. I would quibble with a few plot points, but not so much that I didn't thoroughly enjoy the narrative. Louise Ure is an author to recommend to others and to seek o...more
Cindy
This started out slow for me. The author let us know from the beginning that Jesse had been tried for murder and been aquitted, but we learned more about the case in little bits through the rest of the story. I suppose that's what kept me reading.

The ending was a total surprise...I certainly didn't see that coming!

I thought at first I would give this a strong 3 star rating, but by the end I'm feeling more of a weak 4.

I do plan to read other books by this author.
Diane
Definitely a disappointment given that this book had won the trifecta of starred reviews: Kirkus, Booklist and PW. It is tryin to be both a mystery and a thriller and consequently doesn't really suceed at either. A post solution twist at the end is interesting but doesn't really help that much. The author has created a very interesting character in the protagonist but not much else.
Kat
A new take on the "amateur" investigator. The heroine has herself gotten away with murder. She's trying to escape that past working in a new town as a roadside assistance operator when she takes a call from a customer she thinks she hears being killed.
Strong lead and supporting characters and a good mystery. I look forward to reading more by this author.
Kitty
Jessie works for HandsOn (a ficticious OnStar) and hears a beating and murder take place after an accident. Though she herself has a checkered past, she still can't help getting involved with the police in this case. It leads to other intrigues and then Jessie is a suspect. Well, she does have a history... I stayed thoroughly engrossed to the bitter end.
Jan 26, 2010 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Laura by: Suzanne Beecher
Shelves: mystery
Interesting female protagonist. Haven't read anything like this before. Won it through Suzanne Beecher's Read-it-First email book club. This isn't chick-lit or your stereotypical female heroine novel. The main character is raw and frank and flawed. Lots of other interesting characters. Suspenseful story line. Ending was surprising but very satisfying/appropriate.
Viccy
Jessie Dancing works for an emergency contact company. One evening, she gets a call from a crashed car and hears the owner being beaten. Jessie is forced into confronting her past while she pursues justice for the car driver. A very well-constructed plot which raises the question of whether being not guilty is the same thing as being innocent.
Kim
Mostly, the topic is just a hard one to read. It involves a particularly gruesome serial rapist. Loved the way the character deals with what happens at the end, however. Very victorious. Still had an underlying sense of sadness because of all the damage that was done. Really well written.
Susan
I really enjoyed the beginning chapters of this book. Then the main character started to grate on my nerves due to stupid decisions on her part, some of which seriously affected her life. She just had such a martyr attitude toward the end that I kind of went through the motions to finish the book.
Mary Kay
Three years age,Jessie was acquitted of a murder she is actually guilty of & her family has disowned her. Now she is involved with illegal aliens & Hispanic gangs & some really, really nasty deaths. This story takes place in Arizona & the ending is a shocker.
Kris Hilliard
This was an okay book. The plot had a lot of minor characters which lead to a little bit of confusion, but I liked the main character Jessie. The ending was really not what I expected, but made a lot of sense to this character's past.
Mark Bayer
Jessie Dancing is a well drawn, consistent character. Not likable exactly. But even though the ending caught me by surprise, it was entirely consistent with the Jessie I'd come to know over the course of the book. A great read.
Kristin
Liars Anonymous is a gripping thriller that’s much more than just the same old, run-of-the-mill mystery.

Read the full review at http://www.nightsandweekends.com/arti...
Phyllis
Didn't really like this book. Didn't relate to the main character at all. I found myself wanting her to get caught for something, anything so she'd be punished for the murder she committed.
Angela
I love Ure's heroines. They are flawed and break my heart every time. Plenty of complexities and action. Louise Ure is a great mystery writer. I hope she wins the Edgar for this one.
Jan
Fantastically flawed characters, great plotting and current elements of technology keep this story moving and the reader involved. I'll definitely look for the first two novels Ure wrote.
Lisa
Great book about a gal who is once again accused of murder. To prove her innocence, she starts her own investigation. With plenty of twists and turns, the ending is a surprise!
Sallie
It was good enough to finish, and Ure definitely brings her characters to life, but the story was telegraphed a bit too much for my liking. Ure's best remains The Fault Tree.
Leslie Angel
Liked it more than 3 stars--say, 3.5. She does a great job of setting,(Tuscon, Mexico) and the narrator's voice. Still, I liked the Fault Tree better, which I would give 4 stars.
Sue
This book began in an okay manner. It then became very unrealistic. Some readers may consider it "different" and enjoy it. I just did not like it.
Denise
I loved this book. Great voice, wonderful sense of place accomplished in a few brief strokes.
Excellent plot and terrific character.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Louise Ure spent a quarter of a century in advertising and marketing in the United States, Singapore and Australia before finding her true love: writing crime fiction. Her debut mystery, Forcing Amaryllis, won the Shamus Award for Best First Novel, and Booklists starred review said, "Ures debut so compellingly evokes the hot, dry Southwest, readers may want to have an ice-cold glass of water nearb...more
More about Louise Ure...