Start by marking “Persephone” as Want to Read:
Persephone

Persephone

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  40 reviews
On a warm spring day, the beautiful young goddess Persephone is snatched from her home by Hades, god of the Underworld, and taken away to live underground and become his bride. Persephone's mother, Demeter, goddess of Earth, is so brokenhearted that she curses the land so nothing can grow a permanent winter. / How will Persephone and her mother be reunited? Will spring eve ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Frances Lincoln (first published January 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Persephone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Persephone

Miriam
As soon as I saw the cover image I wanted this book. It is perfect for the myth: lovely and sad and dark and mysterious. Several other illustrations were also quite striking, especially the one where Demeter's cloak is turning into storm cloud to spread winter over the earth. I like the visual connections the illustrator made between the gods and the natural forces they represent. Those images are the most memorable part of the book, however. The retelling itself was nothing special. In fact, I ...more
Rebecca Ann
This was a stunningly beautiful picture book about the greek myth of Persephone. This has always been my favorite myth, and Hades my favorite god. That may seem odd, but stop and think about it. Hades married one woman, and even though he tricked her, he didn't assault her (in most versions) like just about every other god does to the women who catch their eye. He also shares her with her mother. By comparison he's almost not a terrible person. Anyway, this story can never really be aimed at you ...more
Mckenzie Marcinek
This is a book about Persephone the daughter of Demeter the goddess of growth. Persephone is taken by Hades the goddess of the underworld to be his queen. Demeter is so sadden by this that she turns earth dark and cold. So Demeter has Hermes the messenger of father Zeus, god of the sky to go to the underworld to get her daughter. Hades agrees to send Persephone back but first makes her eat three berries. Once back to earth Demeter explains to Persephone that since she eat the berries she now has ...more
Meredith
Although the text is not my favorite retelling of the Demeter/Persephone myth, the pictures are absolutely stunning. This is the most beautifully illustrated Greek myth since Alan Lee illustrated Black Ships Before Troy The Story of the Iliad by Rosemary Sutcliff.
Katie
1. Genre- Traditional Literature
2. Awards- None
3. Grade Level- 3-4
4. I could use this when discussing myths with my students. I could read this myth perhaps with a couple other popular myths that explain why things are the way they are. I could then ask the students to work together and come up with their own myth using the gods we have learned about in Greek mythology to explain an event.
Elissa
The text alone would have earned this no more than 2 stars. But the illustrations raised my overall opinion. As someone else noted, the text is sparse and reads no different than all the other child-friendly stories we've heard on the myth of Persephone. In fact, it reads more like a textbook as there is very little emotion infused in the words. However there is strong emotion in the illustrations and they can very nearly tell the story all on their own. My favorite is the last spread in the sto ...more
Elizabeth
A Greek Myth... I hadn't ever heard the story before, and I really liked it! The pictures were quite interesting as well.
And just a tip: if you are ever in a fairytale/myth, in a bad guy's home, do not eat anything. Okay?
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I think this is the best retelling of the Greek myth that I've read yet. Virginia Lee's illustrations, especially of the underworld, are beautiful and haunting. This will have to be ordered for my library's collection!
Not charming, as I was hoping. The story is really bare bones, I would consider it too simplistic for a picture book, it reads like a blurb out of a childish mythology book and yet that is not a good thing. Hades kidnaps Persephone and she is weeping and generally being sad-face, then Hades is all like "you've made me happy, I love you, but if you have to go, I will let you go" and he seems ally guilty and sweet, then of course he tricks her into eating some pomegranate seeds. I just feel that a ...more
Elizabeth
This is the story of Persephone. Persephone is abducted by Hades. Her mother, Demeter, is overtaken with sadness, so she makes the earth infertile as punishment for her daughter's absence. Hades is ordered to return Persephone to her mother, and he agress to do so, but not before tricking Persephone into eating three pomegranate seeds first. Persephone is returned to her mother who realizes what has happened. Persephone is doomed to return to the underworld for three months each year. During thi ...more
Meg
I reviewed this book here:

4 stars primarily for the beautiful illustrations, which are both classic (inspired by Greek and Roman art) and original (e.g. the way the illustrations use layers of rock and soil to show the barrier between Earth and the Underworld). The story itself is fine but definitely not a feminist retelling. It was kind of weird when the water nymph is all "No one enters here by force!" and then Hades just, well, enters by force. Nice wor
Renée
Great for teaching young kids about the cycle of the seasons in addition to learning a Greek myth. Striking illustrations. Particularly great for Neo-pagans and homeschoolers and fans of pomegranates. Age 6+
Racheal Paquette
I bought this book for my daughter, Persephone, for Easter! I loved reading it to her and looking at the pictures which were beautiful. Such a wonderful book!!!
Delicious Strawberry
The illustrations alone give the book 5 stars. They're beautiful and detailed, lush and filled with color. Heck, the pictures were more interesting than the story... though with the sparseness of the story, just almost any artist could have told a better story with illustrations.

The story itself is lacking, which brings the rating down to a 3. Many parts of the myth have been cut out, and the characters are portrayed as very simplistic. I know this is supposed to be a children's book, but there
Jennette
The drawings were beautiful,the story was short and to the point!! I neither loved this book nor hated it,i liked it abit but felt it needed more.
Dolly
Aug 26, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We are a bit preoccupied with Greek mythology right now. We've been reading books from the Goddess Girls and Myth-O-Mania series and our girls (especially our oldest) are enthralled. This was a different, more traditional perspective on the story of Persephone and I was a bit worried that they wouldn't like it without the modern dialogue. But they really liked the story and we loved the illustrations - they are very beautifully detailed and expressive.
Paula Griffith
This is a beautifully rendered book children will want to read just to look at the gorgeous illustrations. However, the story is well written so that readers will understand not only the plot, but will be able to enjoy their experience with myth and the leading characters, Hades and Demeter. The transitions between what is going on in the Underworld and what Demeter is doing as Mother Earth could be a little more smooth. Recommended for grades 3-6.
Emily
A pretty retelling of the Persephone myth. I read a YA novel last year that was a retelling of Persephone that implied that she fell in love with Hades and Demeter was a bit of an overprotective mother, and I admit, that story has colored my opinion of the traditional tale somewhat. But for kids who are looking for more on Greek myths, this is a fairly straightforward version of the tale.
pati
Persephone is carried off to the underworld by Hades, but her mother, Demeter, places a curse of winter on the earth until Zeus allows Persephone to return, which causes spring to come, stipulating that Persephone must return to Hades for three months every year. A continuation of the Greek mythology fad! J398.2
A reliable retelling of the myth of Persephone. The illustrations are well-done and the story is clearly told. A good, but not necessary, addition to school library collections. Recommended for grades 2 - 4 or elementary students interested in Greek mythology.
Melinda Belle Harrison
Very good book. Simple. It's relates the myth to why we have seasons. Art work is divine. A very young child could be read this story and then at winter time, you could use it to explain why winter comes. I love this myth. Note: This is very much a young child's book.
Alexandra Sinkus
1. Traditional Literature
2. None
3. 3-4
4. I would use it during mythology segment. For an activity I would have each student pick a season and have them draw where Persephone would be during that time (ie underworld during winter/our world during summer)
Aimee
A simplified re-telling of the myth, with a more educational postscript. The illustrations succeed in merging Classically Greek and contemporary elements, though my favorite one is not in the book. (It's the cover!)
Kolet
I am a huge fan of Greek Mythology so when I saw this book I just had to read it. It is such an easy read for children and the illustrations just make the book inviting to read.
Karen
The pictures make this version. Very clear about Persephone's shock at her abduction, and Demeter's rage. Love the drawing of mother/daughter reunited. Love this myth.
Matt Desenberg
Excellent telling of the story. One of the relatively few times this year my 4th graders have said "Mr. D, I really loved this book," after we finish a picture book.
Emma (Miss Print)
Great illustrations but my favorite text is still Demeter and Persephone: The Seasons of Time. This version is more truncated. Great source notes though.
Megan Sanchez
Nothing particularly unique, but there wasn't anything bad about it either. The author really adds nothing to a story that has been done before.
Chelsea
Pretty pictures. I remember reading this story (not this exact book) when I was little and wanted to read it again. I am glad I did!
  • Pegasus
  • The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus
  • Squid and Octopus Friends for Always
  • Tsunami!
  • Billy Twitters and His Blue Whale Problem
  • But Who Will Bell the Cats?
Tales Told in Tents: Stories from Central Asia Greek Myths: Stories of Sun, Stone, and Sea Amazons!: Women Warriors of the World Persephone: A Journey from Winter to Spring The Classics: Greek Myths