Start by marking “Caballeros” as Want to Read:
Caballeros

Caballeros

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  480 ratings  ·  30 reviews
¿Cómo se desenvolvería un auténtico caballero en nuestros días? Posiblemente, acabaría pereciendo en el intento.
Cuando el protagonista —homónimo del autor— conoce al gentleman Henry Morgan comprende que ha dado con su alma gemela. A Klas acaban de robárselo todo, así que decide ponerse en manos de Henry: este le descubre un anacrónico mundo de lujo, y le revela que está pl
Published January 30th 2009 by Grijalbo Mondadori Sa (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Caballeros, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caballeros

Neil Powell
About halfway through this, I was convinced I was going to hate it. The fact that I rated it so highly, shows how beautifully all the strands came together at the end.

It started by introducing us to the narrator (who is also the author), who is locked away in an apartment frightened for his life. It then cuts to 12 years in the past where the narrator meets Henry Morgan, a charming, outgoing musician/bit part actor/boxer, who the narrator has an immediate connection with. Klas (the author) moves
Jim
Jun 08, 2009 Jim rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who have a lot of time on their hands
Recommended to Jim by: Canongate Books
The core of the book is a universal one, the younger man enthralled by an older one. In this case it's the twenty-five year-old narrator/author who is taken under the wing of Henry Morgan, a “pianist, boxer and charmer”, who although only ten years older than the writer has packed an awful lot into his life. And in the first section of the book we really see the relationship between these two develop. Klas quickly moves into the large flat that Henry shares with his brother Leo who, according to ...more
Spigana
Dīvainā kārtā šī grāmata pēc pārlasīšanas mazliet sabojājās, bet man tomēr atkal patika.
Ļoti blīva grāmata, kuru neiespējami kampt pa lieliem gabaliem, bet poētiska un skaistā valodā bez gala. Tāds vīrišķīgi romantisks stāsts, kur džentlmeņi spēlē džezu, raksta dzeju, boksējas un iestājas par taisnību.
Helen
Didn't think I was going to like this at first (and it took a while to get into it) but in the end the story was compelling. Klas Ostergren features as himself, which is a bit confusing, but it is mainly the story of the Morgan brothers and various secrets past and present which you slowly work out through hints until all becomes relatively clear. The depiction of Stockholm and some of the Swedish background is very good. (It first appeared in 1980, and the main events cover a year in which Klas ...more
John Erik Lindgren
Leste nylig ferdig denne boken, som fikk fornyet aktualitet da Östergren nylig kom med en oppfølger, "Gangsters". Veldig flott bok fra 1980, som beskriver et lite, kanskje progressivt, men i alle fall spesielt miljø i Stockholm på 60- og 70-tallet. Mange menneskeskjebner veves inn i hverandre, og jammen er det ikke en snev av storpolitikk også i bakgrunnen. I sentrum står brødreparet Henry og Leo Morgan, sett og beksrevet av Klas Östergren selv. Henry er dandyen som sjarmerer, trikser og ordner, ...more
Laurel
I agree with another reader that this book should be read straight through over a week or two and not in bits and pieces, like I did. The way I read it doesn't do it justice. The novel requires the mind to take a few short leaps here and there and when you read it like I did, the leaps become chasms. Reading Gentlemen to me was a bit like reading Roddy Doyle's Henry Smart trilogy. I can't quite put my finger on why, but the thought kept springing to mind as I read the book...perhaps because you ...more
Claudia Glezz Cisneros
Superlativa novela publicada por primera vez en sueco en 1980 por un autor de solos 25 años, que después se hizo muy famoso. Es la historia de los hermanos Morgan, Leo joven frágil poeta, y su hermano mayor Henry, fascinante donjuan, siempre perfectamente afeitado , músico y viajero. El autor conoce a Henry en el gimnasio y va a vivir con él en su enorme piso, en Estocolmo. Un piso de rara atmósfera donde nunca se abren las cortinas y la noche es siempre una posibilidad. Así es como el joven esc ...more
Mänsomläser
Gentlemen utkom första gången 1980 och är ju en sådan där bok man bör ha läst. Jag läste den först nu och läsningen ackompanjerades av tankar som: "Men hur är det möjligt att det här tramset har fått en sådan uppmärksamhet? Vilket jävla dravel! Men vad är det här?..." etc. En bok om ingenting som verkar vara skriven av en begåvad högstadielev, ett upplägg utan avslut. Det kanske är min största litterära bedrift att jag faktiskt läste ut den.

Så läste jag Gangsters och det är bara att böja på nack
Axel Dalman
Apart from the rather tiresome story of the brothers' Morgan growing up, this story has a wonderful language and pace. I read it in Swedish which obviously adds a lot to the experience, especially since I can relate to the places in Stockholm that he talks about. Except for the slow parts (the descriptions of Leo's writing are particularly boring) this book is written with a self-confidence that makes it an utter joy to read.
Bettie☯
Jan 12, 2015 Bettie☯ marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bettie☯ by: Laura
Translated by Tiina Nunnally

Description: Beaten up, bruised, and scared, a young writer hides in a Stockholm apartment, writing the story of its disappeared inhabitants: the flamboyant and charismatic Morgan brothers.

It all began a year earlier, when he was rooming with Henry Morgan, a boxer, piano player, composer, bartender, and old-fashioned gentleman with a Gatsby-like capacity for turning life into a feast and absolutely no talent for keeping secrets.

The two friends led the high-life in Sto
Kenneth Fredette
I liked some of the situations that the Morgan brothers got in. Maud was an interesting character and Klaus seemed to end up with her as things fell apart. Thank you Tiina Nunnally for the excellent translation.
Marcus Sundberg
Didn't know where it was going, and I probably took to long to finish it to really start enjoying it. Very profligately (had to look that word up) written, and hard to read if not focused. Good story though.
Joakim Silverdal
Half way through this book I was furious and on the verge of putting it back in it's spot amongst the yellow (yes, i know...) books in the bookcase. I found the endless introduction of new characters and plotpoints tedious. But turning the last page I'm so glad i didn't stop reading.

Gentlemen comes together beautifully in the end and with it's beautiful language it was well worth the read. Klas Östergren incorporating himself into the story makes för an intersting exploration of the characters a
Aniabania
Książka podszyta wątkami kryminalnymi, prezentująca perypetie osobliwych i humorystycznych przygód Henrego Morgana. A wszystko to na tle szerokiej panoramy społecznej Szwecji na przestrzeni 40 lat.
W miarę wczytywania się najpierw byłam zaskoczona w jaki sposób wątki i osoby nieśpiesznie okazują się powiązane ze sobą. Potem z pewnym zniecierpliwieniem oczekiwałam, że akcja nabierze tempa i będzie zmierzać ku być może zaskakującemu, ale jednak jednoznacznemu rozwiązaniu. Nic z tego, wątki kryminal
Torbjörn Einarsson
En riktigt skön skröna. Väldigt trevligt språk, med fantastiska utsvävningar emellanåt.
Max Galax
Contemporary art-project about digging undeground tunnels in Stocktown. Jk.
Heather Barrett
The translation is excellent and provided me a brilliant read during a sojourn in Stockholm. There's humour and digressions into sidelines that inform about the latter half of 20th century political and social history. There's also a mystery about the gentlemen that is almost explained but remains unresolved. Finally there's a charm about this novel. Can't wait to see the movie!
Ludmirska
This book even in translation has remarkable, engaging original language, author tells the story as if leading the way down the long enjoyable in every step road, sweetened and spiced up by the details of everyday happenings with the three main characters along with insights into human nature. A gem of story telling, a gem of writing.
Martin Ljungqvist
Fascinating characters and episodes from their lives. There is a story in the background of it all. I really liked the book for the characters, anecdotes, atmosphere and language. Really well written. It is not predictable. Had hoped for more about the plot so I guess I have to read the follow-up Gangsters as well.
Andrea
I made the mistake of reading this in small chunks, it's the kind of book that needs to be read in a few sittings (i.e. large chunks). It's unputdownable when it's read with that sort of attention.

It's a fictional caper-like tale of the Morgan brothers, and their accomplice, your author.
Fredrik Öst
A very very good book. I am in love with time depictions and this one is one of the best ones. It also captures Stockholm in an interesting time. Now I don't have time to write so much more. This one was to at least have written one review.

READ IT.
Birger Ekenstierna
En väldigt välskriven och intressant bok. Språket är tungt men likväl mångfacetterat och flödande. Berättelsen är närmast episk i sin uppbyggnad och innehåll. Oerhört berikande läsning! Högsta betyg!
Dit is het eerste deel van een tweeluik. Als je het tweede boek leest (Gangsters), dat 25 jaar later geschreven is, ga je ook weer nadenken over het eerste boek!
Vi Le
Lingua a demarrer mais c'est pour mieux vous attacher aux personnages, on ne veut plus les laisser. Interessant portrait de la Suede des annees 60-70
Pierke
Moeilijk. Traag. Prachtig. Vreemd. Vervreemd. Nog nooit iets dergelijks gelezen. Benieuwd nu naar gangsters maar nog even niet.
pierlapo  quimby
Una piacevolissima sorpresa. Ostergren è uno scrittore di razza.
Werner Van laere
One of the best novels I read this last year.
Natasha
well-written but the pacing was strange.
Bernadeta Szwarc
Our love with Östergren started with this book.
  • Den allvarsamma leken
  • Montecore: En unik tiger
  • Gösta Berling's Saga
  • Mina drömmars stad (Stadsserien, #1)
  • A Burnt Child
  • Kalla det vad fan du vill
  • Gregorius
  • The Conqueror
  • Maken: En förhållanderoman
  • The Way of a Serpent
  • The Death of a Beekeeper
  • The Settlers (The Emigrants, #3)
  • Strändernas svall
Klas Östergren was born in Stockholm in 1955 and is the author of several novels including the landmark Gentlemen (1981) and its sequel, Gangsters (2005). A leading star of Swedish literature for nearly three decades, he has won the Piratenpriset and the Doblougska prize from the Swedish Academy. A founder of the rock band Fullersta Revolutionary Orchestra, Östergren has also worked as a transla ...more
More about Klas Östergren...
Gangsters Twist Fantomerna The Hurricane Party Den sista cigarretten