Start by marking “Cooking for Baby: Wholesome, Homemade, Delicious Foods for 6 to 18 Months” as Want to Read:
Cooking for Baby: Wholesome, Homemade, Delicious Foods for 6 to 18 Months

Cooking for Baby: Wholesome, Homemade, Delicious Foods for 6 to 18 Months

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Parents today know that one of the best ways to give a baby a great start in life is with wholesome, homemade foods.

While ready-made baby food is a convenience that any new parent can appreciate, feeding everyday fresh foods is the best way to teach a child healthy eating habits and an appreciation for good food from the cradle onward.

The 80 recipes in Cooking for Ba

Published February 3rd 2009 by Touchstone (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Cooking for Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cooking for Baby

GateGypsy
Until I laid my hands on this, I hadn't read any baby cookbooks at all. Wow, was this full of a lot of useful information! I sincerely learned several something-news in each chapter! The preparation instructions actually informed my choices regarding what items got put on my Christmas wishlist! There's a "baby broth" recipe (on page 44) that I may make my regular homemade stock (since most store-bought stocks are unsafe for me.) I think I'll copy out the spices and herbs info pages (42/43), beca ...more
Rob
Oct 04, 2009 Rob rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rob by: David P.
Shelves: cookbook, with-holden, own
Probably the best baby food cookbook that exists. And probably because once you get out of the purée section, you find yourself saying If I just double the recipe and "thinly slice" instead of "finely dice" the lamb then this will be frickin' awesome. Seriously. A baby food cookbook that is unafraid to cite coriander, garlic, and/or polenta in the recipes... Well, it's starting to sound an awful lot like a normal adult cookbook. Maybe even a gourmet cookbook.

That being said, I believe that the i
Joanna Weissen
My baby just started eating solid foods and this cookbook is like my bible. I refer to it all the time, and not just for his food either. The section on herbs and spices is useful for cooking for the rest of the family. There are other sections in addition to the recipes that are quite helpful on how to store food, how much babies eat, different food textures, finger foods and snacks, tips on getting toddlers to eat, and what nutrients are in foods.

The recipes are simple and easy to follow. Mos
Natalie
I found these recipes to be nice and simple, but fun and creative as far as ingredients. It was nice to have a reference for how to prepare certain foods and how to pair them with other ingredients. I borrowed it from the library, but I think I might buy it. It covers a lot of time in an infant's eating development.
Rebecca
I received this book 5 years ago, after the birth of my first daughter. The recipes and feeding suggestions are simple to understand and easy to execute. Since delivering my twins last year, we have revisited this book and have found it as handy as we remembered it to be.
Meredith
This is an excellent baby cookbook. It is one of the few baby cookbooks that actually provide instructions on how to thaw frozen baby food (page 15) as well as how to freeze it. There is a handy chart (page 11) listing the most easily digestible foods for baby's first tastes, the foods most likely to cause gas or colic in babies, and the foods to which many babies will have allergic reactions.

The recipes are divided into four sections: 1) First Tastes: 6 months, 2) New Flavors: 7 to 8 months, 3)
Betsey
Update: I made a recipe tonight from this book, "Little Veggie Fritters," which was delicious and not just for children.

I love cookbooks with pictures. This has been a great resource for me for making food for my infant. The range of recipes is great, and they are truly delicious (I taste everything she eats first!). I thought some things were a bit adventurous for the age they're recommended for, but maybe we need to get a little wilder on the food around here.

There are many recipes in here th
robin marie
Gorgeous layout and photography. Useful content.
Brynn
I liked this book. It had some good information about starting a baby on solid foods. I used a few of the recipes, but most of the recipes in this book are super fancy, even though it's baby food. Like really weird, things too fancy even to cook for myself and my husband. Any of this info could be found online. Plus, making your own baby food is super easy - just cook whatever until it's mushy, blend it, add water if needed, then freeze in silicone ice cube trays. No big deal.
Sarah Arlen
Oct 29, 2008 Sarah Arlen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, chefs, foodies, people looking to give gifts to new parents/parents-to-be
This is such a fabulous and essential book to have when you're about to have a baby! My husband and I love and respect food, and we want to pass that on to our cute kids from the start as best we can. With this book, we feel like we learned a lot and that we can turn to it for inspiration even for "adult" meals. And it's put together so well with such beautiful photos and thorough descriptions while keeping it simple. Like a food nerd, I read it like a novel!
priddymomma
I especially liked this for the toddler-friendly family meal recipes at the end. I could see us doing some of them, though not anything involving lamb as a personal preference. This book has a lot of information in it about introducing solids, which would certainly be helpful for first time moms. I also like that they use some vegetables and fruits that aren't mainstream with baby food companies, like papaya. I'll be purchasing this book, I believe.
Janelle
We didn't feed either of our children purees (we took a baby-led weaning approach), so the first half of this book wasn't very helpful. The recipes in the second half have been great! I love the variety in the recipes. This book goes beyond typical American "kid food" like burgers and fries, peanut butter and jelly, and cheerios and gives little ones new flavors and textures to try early on. Yay for real food!
Jessica
Its nice to have some baby food recipes for babies that don't want bland food. i love tat this has basic baby food with spices and flavor! plus it has foods you wouldn't think of making for baby and they are made in such a way that make food interesting and baby can create a great pallet to shape their little tastebuds for the future!
Holly
Great simple recipes for fresh baby and toddler meals. I like the simplicity of the recipes in this book. While it does contain some involved multi-ingredient meals, I find myself refering to it for the easy options for roasting or steaming veggies. Great polenta and bulgar recipes too!
Kate
Yikes! Why does it freak me out that in about a month, Sam will be eating something other than breast milk? This has some good easy recipes - but really, how hard can pureeing fruits & veggies be? I like how it is broken up in stages from 6 - 18 months.
Rachel
A friend recommended this book to me, because I was interested in making my own baby food. I read through the intro and some of the recipes, and I'm anxious to try some of them. Just gotta wait for little man to get old enough to eat this stuff!
Alisa
Haven't tried all these recipes yet, but I have tried some. Fun easy beginning way to start making your own baby food...all the way up to simple toddler food that adults can also eat. Have consulted it quite a bit the last couple of months.
Christen
I am really excited about this book. I am using the recipes to make side dishes for Husband and myself and also to feed to Baby. It is really fantastic and proposes a good mix of flavors. We are only in the second section so far, but it is great.
Jen
Checked out from library - will probably end up purchasing. It has way more than purees. It does a good job of introducing spices and different textures to growing baby.
Christie
decent...some of the foods were a little to much, but the basic baby food is great!! lots of great tips for raising a healthy eater
Rachele
I thought it was a good book to get the basics of pureeing baby food but it didn't really go beyond that and that's what I was looking for.
Hannah
The age-related information was very helpful. The recipes present great ideas to get you started.
Allison
Really neat book. I can't wait to start making some of the recipes!!
Monica
Good suggestions but no time to follow this advice
Karen
Great book, great pictures, lots of practical information.
Heather
loved this book, wish I had a baby though...
Halima Ismond
Halima Ismond marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Trisha Evans
Trisha Evans marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Heather
Heather is currently reading it
Nov 16, 2014
  • Top 100 Baby Purees: 100 Quick and Easy Meals for a Healthy and Happy Baby
  • The Best Homemade Baby Food on the Planet: Know What Goes Into Every Bite with More Than 200 of the Most Deliciously Nutritious Homemade Baby Food Recipes-Includes More Than 60 Purees Your Baby Will Love
  • The Baby and Toddler Cookbook: Fresh, Homemade Foods for a Healthy Start
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
  • Home Dairy with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Cheese, Yogurt, Butter & More
  • Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on Baby Furinture, Equipment, Clothes, Toys, Maternity Wear and Much, Much More!
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • The Wholesome Baby Food Guide: Over 150 Easy, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes from Purees to Solids
  • Southern Plate: Classic Comfort Food That Makes Everyone Feel Like Family
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • D.I.Y. Delicious: Recipes and Ideas for Simple Food from Scratch
  • Chicken and Egg: A Memoir of Suburban Homesteading with 125 Recipes
  • Baby Sign Language Basics: Early Communication for Hearing Babies and Toddlers
  • Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More
  • Preserves (River Cottage Handbook, #2)
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
  • Fix, Freeze, Feast: Prepare in Bulk and Enjoy by the Serving, More Than 125 Recipes
  • The Baby-Led Weaning Cookbook: 130 Easy, Nutritious Recipes That Will Help Your Baby Learn to Eat (and Love!) a Variety of Solid Foods—and That the Whole Family Will Enjoy
The Petit Appetit Cookbook: Easy, Organic Recipes to Nurture Your Baby and Toddler Petit Appetit: Eat, Drink, and Be Merry: Easy, Organic Snacks, Beverages, and Party Foods for Kids of All Ages Hydrogen Peroxide (Safe & Sane Uses for this Versatile Household Solution) Going Home Hydrogen Peroxide (A Practical Guide to Safe and Sane Uses for Hydrogen Peroxide)