Start by marking “Practical Guide to Linux (R) Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming” as Want to Read:
Practical Guide to Linux (R) Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming

Practical Guide to Linux (R) Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming

The essential reference for core commands that Linux users need daily, along with superior tutorial on shell programming and much more. The book is a complete revision of the commands section of Sobell's Practical Guide to Linux - a proven best-seller. The book is Linux distribution and release agnostic. It will appeal to users of ALL Linux distributions. Superior examples ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by Prentice Hall PTR

Be the first to ask a question about Practical Guide to Linux (R) Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming

Joe Vaughn
Dec 05, 2007 Joe Vaughn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Linux Newbies
Excellent is the first word that comes to mind for a primer. While I'm more *nix oriented, this is an awesome starting place for anyone with the savvy to install Linux on a box but doesn't know the hell to do with it afterwards. Unlike the majority of LUGs with replies with RTFM n00b33 replies to basic functionality questions, this book gives practical examples for first-timers and frames knowledge in such a way as to provide newcomers with the ability to ask *smart* questions of those of us who ...more
Blair
May 29, 2014 Blair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
I have used this book in a class I led at work, and strongly recommend it for people that are interested in developing their Linux proficiency.

This book will not make you a Linux expert. But you will have a solid foundation from which to develop the skills you learn from this book to become that expert over time, after you read this book.

I like this book because it provides ample coverage of its topics. Each chapter is a sort of mini book in and of itself, providing solid coverage of the topic i
Joakim
It was hardly a practical guide considering there were no examples given to show the codes in action. I also felt that material wasn't covered comprehensively. I've picked up Steve Moritsugu's Practical Unix since, because I was disappointed with this one..and my course required a comprehensive knowledge of UNIX/LINUX commands and utilities..also I wanted to get into shell scripting. So far Steve's book is proving to be 100x better than this one.
I would only recommend this to people who are try
Evan Snyder
Apr 14, 2014 Evan Snyder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comp-sci
As a programmer who had already spent some time tripping around Linux environments, I found this a most excellent, to-the-point overview of the operating system's baseline functionality, file system, and commands. Explanations were kept direct and simple, which is ideal if, for example, you are already familiar with what ACLs are, but need a quick hit about using them on a Linux box. Extensive command reference at the back.
Amclinux
Feb 16, 2010 Amclinux rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have come across for the UNIX , LINUX "power user". If you really want to understand the shell,text editors (Emacs,Vi),programming tools,sed,gawk then this book is for you. This book is distro neutral, and the examples in the book, will work for any distro ex (fedora,Gentoo,FreeBSD, Debian).
Zach Klippenstein
Jan 27, 2012 Zach Klippenstein rated it it was amazing
A great book for the linux user who wants to learn how to use the shell. Serves as a very detailed, yet easy to read and understand, introduction to bash and tcsh. Definitely made me more productive (and is a great skill to show off at parties). Includes a very handy little command reference, until you get comfortable with man pages ;)
Daniel
Aug 03, 2011 Daniel rated it liked it
Pretty good book to understand a little of Linux, but not to use as a guide or a reference book. It left alot of important things out, or in some cases the subject that I was looking for was divided in small parts all over the book.
Alex
Jun 11, 2012 Alex rated it it was amazing
Intense book. Kind of reference of it all. Lots and lots of information. At least you get to know what you're capable of to do.

Its really emerging your keyboard ninja within :) Huge volume but well worth the time.
Rich Tijerina
Jun 21, 2014 Rich Tijerina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book. I would choose this over Linux in a Nutshell, as it contains everything the other book has, explains clearer, and has more 'practical' info.
Jimyip
May 27, 2013 Jimyip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive for introducing frequent use commands, shell scripting. Use as a reference book than a textbook
tnicholson Nicholson
Oct 13, 2010 tnicholson Nicholson rated it really liked it
If you want to learn Linux any one of the Sobel books is good. They are all the same just a new cover and distro of the month.
Jordan
Feb 21, 2011 Jordan rated it it was amazing
An excellent book for learning basic shell scripting and bash and tcsh commands. A must - read for anyone who hopes to one day be a Linux guru.
To
To rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2011
Miguel Caetano
Miguel Caetano rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2012
John
John rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2015
Elanor
Elanor rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Einar Barrios
Einar Barrios rated it it was ok
Mar 23, 2016
Samer
Samer rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2014
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2013
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2014
carl littrell
carl littrell rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Catrine
Catrine rated it really liked it
May 15, 2015
Jason Anderson
Jason Anderson rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Carina
Carina rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2012
Victor Caliman
Victor Caliman rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Jeremy Weiss
Jeremy Weiss rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2014
Darlene E
Darlene E rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Stephen Linderman
Stephen Linderman rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2012
  • Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML & CSS
  • SSH Mastery: OpenSSH, PuTTY, Tunnels and Keys
  • Learning the bash Shell

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Mark G. Sobell, author of many best-selling books, including A Practical Guide to Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Sixth Edition, A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux, Third EditionA Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming, Third Edition (all from Prentice Hall), has more than thirty years of experience working with UNIX and Linux. He is the president of Sobell Associate ...more
More about Mark G. Sobell...