Start by marking “Amaryllis (St. Helens, #1)” as Want to Read:
Amaryllis (St. Helens, #1)

Amaryllis (St. Helens #1)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  4,911 Ratings  ·  147 Reviews
One of the best psychic detectives on St. Helen's, which recently has been cut off from the mother planet, Amaryllis Lark follows a hunch and is lead from a wild murder investigation to a red-hot love affair. Reissue.
Published May 1st 1998 by Pocket Books (first published October 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Amaryllis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amaryllis

Cyndi
Feb 14, 2012 Cyndi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was annoyed with this book in so many ways. It was a book I had to force myself to finish, and, in fact, I probably wouldn't have finished it if I hadn't left it at school to read while my students read their books.

First of all - Amaryllis?? Amaryllis?? Really?? What a lame name. Though I suppose a character with a dumb name should be equally dumb and she was. Amaryllis was naive and grating. "Oh, no! Someone did something bad! I can't believe people aren't perfect like me!" "Oh no! People do
Mojca
This was a great story with a wonderful mix of paranormal, sci-fi, and suspense elements with a little wink at historical romance with the whole “society-approved marriage” theme.
Loved the hero, loved the premise, adored the psychic angle (very early Arcane Society with the added need of a focus link between two individuals), especially alongside the fact the entire population “suffers” from it. Though it’s set on a far-away (not-yet-discovered or forgotten) planet it had a very contemporary rom
Alp
4.25/5

Nice book. It was a perfect mix of romantic, suspense and paranormal.
This was one of many books that had me hooked from page one. I liked Lucas and Amaryllis, they were attracted to each other since the first time they met. Lucas was really sweet so I couldn't help falling in love with him.
Mara
Jun 06, 2015 Mara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, futuristic
Amaryllis made me realize that Jayne Castle/Krentz's voice just doesn't work for me, because this is the 4th book of hers that I've read, and I found them boring, dull and with so many nits I don't find it funny.
I've lost quite some money on this book (7+$) and even more precious time, so I hope you won't mind I will not go in to many details.

World-building. Not a strength of this author. I wonder why creating a sci-fi settings if then you limit yourself to superficiality. Fake earth name are ju
Ranee
Oct 27, 2015 Ranee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ranee by: pushed as a dare book posed as a date book
Strange use of adjectives to describe features of characters. I did not detest it, actually found myself laughing at times. Bottomline, this is a romance book trying to do a Dick Tracy while Professor X is all giddy with their abilities but I'm no expert in all three themes. Will I recommend it to friends? The excitement of pulling a practical joke on them thrills me but I know they can handle it, so yeah why not.

This is really a 2.5 rating. The surprises were predictable, but somehow I found m
Bark's Book Nonsense
This one disappointed me big-time. I've come to the realization that Jayne Castle/Krentz/Quick's voice/style just doesn't work for me because this is the 6th book of hers that I've read that I found very dull. I should note that I do not like mysteries as a rule so maybe that's my problem because that's what the bulk of this book was.

Set on another planet, 200 years in the future, Amaryllis Lark is what they call a professional "prism." Her world is filled with people born with differing psychic
BJ Rose
Mar 26, 2011 BJ Rose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychic, futuristic
About 200 years ago, pioneers from Earth began colonizing the planet of St. Helen’s. They traveled between the two planets through an energy gate they called the Curtain. But suddenly and mysteriously, the Curtain closed, and the remaining pioneers were left to survive on their own. Things were made much more difficult when they realized that none of the tools and materials they brought from earth would last – books disintegrated, electronic equipment would not function, anything they made from ...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
Predictable but in a nice way. I enjoyed it but I can tell it's her early work. But I don't care. I liked it anyway:)

The hero annoyed me by the way he kept trying to stop Amaryllis from investigating, and she was a prissy annoying heroine. It worked though. I prefer her Harmonh series I think.

But yeah, enjoyable but not fantastic or anything.
Amyiw
Jun 09, 2015 Amyiw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this 3 1/2 bumped up. It is a bit old school futuristic paranormal romance with a standoffish woman, strung tight. Big businessman trying to hide his talents.

A curtain/veil opened on Earth 200 years earlier and allowed intrepid humans to venture to a planet in another part of the galaxy, St Helens. Unluckily the curtain closed, so St Helens has evolved through the founders perseverance though 200 years later many question those motives and really what were the founders beliefs. Many peop
Maria
Dec 7 ,2008 - The first in the St. Helens series, this one is about Amaryllis, a full-spectrum prism with high ethics working for Psynergy, Inc. and Lucas Trent, a rough executive who has two talents that are both off the charts. Another case where opposites attract and find out that they're not so opposite after all. I love the characters in the St. Helens books and feel like I am visiting old friends every time I re-read them, which is often. The mystery isn't bad either.
Jan 3, 2011 - It's be
Carrie
SFR Reading Challenge 2012
TBR Reading Challenge 2012: Personal- on my tbr list since June 2010.

Grade B

This is a fairly typical Jayne Castle/Krentz book: not too deep, but entertaining. Her heroes are rarely well-developed, and seems to spend a lot of time gnashing teeth over the heroine's actions. Lucien is a fine hero, but a little bland. Amaryllis is more developed, but isn't an inspiring heroine. One character describes her as "a prissy, straight-laced, self-righteous [person] who seemed to
Sharon Falk
I was interested enough to finish the book, but I really wasn't drawn to the main character at all. Actually, I found myself rooting against her. If she would have talked about the founder's values one... more... time...

Also, the living on another planet aspect didn't work so well for me. Making up words like coff-tea and occasionally talking about a curtain just don't make an off-world book for me. Also, I felt like some of the things they said just didn't make sense without having the Earth as
Sherry
Sep 28, 2008 Sherry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How to review a book that you have trouble putting into a specified genre, hhmmm? I’m not quite sure either but I do know that “Amaryllis” is an interesting and enjoyable read. It has a little something for readers of science fiction, something for romance fans, a bit for suspense and even light-hearted humorous banter for those who enjoy chic lit. If you are looking to try for something a little different, be sure and give this title a try.
Lyndi
Sep 11, 2013 Lyndi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a really hard time pushing through this. I skimmed a lot. Because Amaryllis was such a naive, prissy little sprig. Their words, not mine. It was annoying.

What I did enjoy was Lucas (yum!) and Amaryllis's's's (whatevs) coworkers. And I liked the twist, because I already felt like I had solved the mystery 30% of the way in. But the author really surprised me.

I kinda liked it, but Jayne Castle has done waaay better.
Kavita Ramesh
The constant repetition of the prism/spectrum theme in this series dampened my enjoyment for the otherwise interesting plot. In my opinion, the author went over the top, repeating similar sentences and themes over and over again, without trying to vary it a little (so that it stays interesting for the reader).
Maggie
Jan 27, 2013 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amaryllis is a hoot. She's very much a by-the-numbers kind of gal who gets into all kind of trouble in her chosen profession. She lands at a not-so-highly thought of tourist attraction and finds a dead guy.

Don't want to reveal the plot, but if you like futuristic paranormals, this one is for you. It was the start of the dust bunnies and ghost hunters.

This one's on my keeper shelf
Gunnhildur Rúnarsdóttir
Good book.

The world building surprised me in a good way. The characters were fun and the story was good. Would love to read more about Amaryllis and her escapades but I think each book in the series is independent. The titles are the names of the lead female character in each book.

This was a fast read so perhaps I'll check out the other books in this series.
Mιss •kαthєяίиє•  Τhε Emεrαℓd Pяίиcεss®
Amazing books! The series Amaryllis-Zinnia-Orchid by Jayne Castle are certainly one amazing amazing experience....
Set in a futuristic planet where Earthlings colonized some time ago before the Curtain closed between the two worlds, they were forced to their own means.
The books combine a sense of supernatural along with some good old mystery solving.
Mary
Jan 03, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone needs a little paranormal romance. Besides that, why not stretch into an imagined future parallel to Earth? Extrasensory fun, Amaryllis seeks out truth and justice. Lucas Trent, a self
made corporation owner falls in love w/ her. They make a good team and solve a murder or two.
KarenF
Jun 05, 2011 KarenF rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, romance, own
4*s because even a Jayne Castle that I don't love is still an entertaining book. This one didn't hold my attention as much as the Harmony books (I think I missed the dust bunnies!) but I really liked Lucas and Amaryllis and am intrigued by the set ups for the books.
Books In Brogan
Dec 13, 2016 Books In Brogan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-reviews
This is an older series by Jayne Castle and just finished re-reading them and they were very "ahead" of their time in that they fit in perfectly with the current Fantasy Romance books. So if you are looking for something to read over the holidays this is a great series to read.

This review was originally posted on Books In Brogan
Donna
Nov 14, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Told with her trademark sense of humor, adventure and love this, the first in a trilogy is a truly fun read. Jayne Ann Krentz writing as Jayne Castle builds an incredible world and you are a sucked into it and don’t want to leave even after the last page has turned. Opposites attract and fall in love against all odds. Off to read the next in the series.
Shanna Hurd
Jan 05, 2017 Shanna Hurd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance
There isn't much that is ground-breaking here, but it is an enjoyable futuristic science-fantasy romance novel. Lucas is an off-the-charts psychic talent and Amaryllis is a strong prism--able to focus his talent to make it more useful. There is an automatic connection between the two, as Amaryllis becomes obsessed with solving the mysterious death of her mentor. Danger and romance abound.
Kimberlee
Jan 09, 2017 Kimberlee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much enjoyment.
Sharon
[I also reviewed this title on my blog: Ishari's Bookshelf]

Um.

Yeah...

Maybe it was the "InstaLove"? Maybe it was the crappy world building? Maybe it was the utter predictability of the story line? Maybe it was the copious amounts of jelly-ice?

Whatever it was - I. Could. Not. Stand. This. Book.

I only finished it because I was stuck in the car for 6+ hours and had packed my alternate books. Wow, this was not a winner for me.

Amaryllis takes place on a remote planet, St. Helen, that is closed off f
Lisa
Jan 30, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of JAK/AQ/JC's other books and in reading through the reviews of those books I've frequently seen people comment that the St. Helen's series was some of her best. And I was pleased to find that the books live up to the hype. I wouldn't say that Amaryllis is a perfect book but it was definitely a solid and engaging read. The romance between Amaryllis and Lucas was believable and I genuinely felt the connection between them. And I liked the sense of desperation and melancholy that ...more
Annette McIntyre
More than just a regular romance novel, this one has suspense and a whiff of science fiction thrown in, along with some paranormal activity. All in all the mixture makes for a pleasant read.
Cruth
Author: Jayne Ann Krentz writing as Jayne Castle
First published: 1996
Length: ... pages
Setting: Future on the planet of St Helens.
Sex: Reasonably explicit but infrequent.
Hero: Off-the-scales psychic-detector. Owns a mining company. Widowed.
Heroine: ex-Academic now professional prism.
Paranormal: Every psychic talent requires a prism to control and direct their talent. Prism must be at least as strong as the talent or risks "burning out".
Includes: Excerpt from Orchid by Jayne Castle.

Reminiscent of
Tiff TowelsandHearts
Apr 19, 2013 Tiff TowelsandHearts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
4 stars

I didn't really expect much from this book, truthfully. I'm more of a contemporary-sizzle-type when it comes to romance books. Suprisingly, though, I liked it. It had a whole new concept that I've never encountered (especially for a book published in the late 90s) and that's what made it so unique.

Amaryllis Lark is a full-spectrum prism working for a company that loans prisms to talents who need focusing (yes, quite confusing but when you read it, you eventually get it). On a fake-date/
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Amaryllis (1996) 1 2 Sep 23, 2012 03:39PM
  • Shield's Lady (Lost Colony, #3)
  • Wicked Widow (Vanza, #3)

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Sant
More about Jayne Castle...

St. Helens (3 books)
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)

“They were having sex on Gifford's desk, if you must know."
Lucas's eyes glinted. "His desk, huh?"
"Yes." Amaryllis raised her chin, the better to look down her nose at him. "I would have thought it would have been extremely uncomfo rtable, but they appeared to enjoy it.”
8 likes