Start by marking “Dark Inheritance” as Want to Read:
Dark Inheritance

Dark Inheritance

Here is the spellbinding tale of a lovely young woman pursued by a proud family's shameful past...from a Cornwall mansion to the fabled Crystal Palace in London to glittering Venice...and coming ever closer to the terrible menace of her Dark Inheritance.
Mass Market Paperback, 264 pages
Published November 12th 1976 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Inheritance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Inheritance

Linda

Fate played into the hands of Miss Susannah Button. Not long after she was hired as governess to Miss Hester Dewaine she was approached by a family member and offered a sum of money. She was asked to voluntarily leave Landeric. Her answer was 'no'.

A secret was revealed that eventually took her to Austrian-ruled Vienna. She started her new employment as companion to an elderly Dewaine cousin. All the while she loved a man who would take the back burner to this historical suspense.

Hopin
MomToKippy
Sep 15, 2016 MomToKippy rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Susannah Button's father died. Her mother had passed when she was a baby. His last words to her were "Landeric" then "Forgive me." She wondered about that in the many years to come. Why would her father use his last bit of strength to say that hated name to her? Susannah lived among the fisher-folk of Pennan Haven on the Cornish coast but would now have to leave to find employment and make her way in the world. And so it begins.

"Memory is a house with many doors that open and close of their own
Diane Lynn
I liked this book a lot, my first by Carola Salisbury, aka Mike Butterworth. There were a lot of historical references, which I enjoy in a book.

The story starts in England in 1845. We meet Susannah Button, the daughter of the local tavern owner in a small town in Cornwall. She is almost 21 and has been well educated. Educated beyond the norm for someone in her position, but there are reasons. Then we meet the snobby Dewaine family (Sir Tristan, son Mark and 3 daughters). They live up in the big
Christine Honsinger
Loved this, my first book by Carola Salisbury. I know I will be searching out more...she is eloquent and original. Even though I suspected one major plot twist, the final few pages revealed a real surprise. Loved the heroine, and my heart went out to her throughout...Highly recommended to other suspense/gothic/mystery/romance readers (yes, it had all of this, but not too much of any one thing...it really almost felt like it fell into a genre all to itself, or even a classic novel.)
Rabby
Feb 12, 2012 Rabby rated it really liked it
The first chapter is everything the rest of the book is not: pretentious, boring and flat. It was a struggle to get through that first chapter, which felt like it was written by someone else entirely. My solution and suggestion would be to read that opening chapter simply because it is necessary, but press on despite how awful it may seem; the rest of the novel is well worth it and not at all in the same vein. It was quite a delight to find the many twists and turns of Dark Inheritance, which I ...more
Martin Conisby
Nov 22, 2013 Martin Conisby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good traditional Gothic by Carola Salisbury (a.k.a. Mike Butterworth).
Being Human
Jan 31, 2015 Being Human rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-read
Namita Kandel
Namita Kandel rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2014
Neelam
Neelam rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Knowhermoine
Knowhermoine rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Bonnie Seiwell
Bonnie Seiwell rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
May 20, 2011
Delores Alger
Delores Alger rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2014
RoxyBambina
RoxyBambina rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2012
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2013
Sherry
Sherry rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2013
Cheri Ochoa
Cheri Ochoa rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2013
AinmCleite
AinmCleite rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2009
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Mary Easterday
Mary Easterday rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2013
Linda Holway
Linda Holway rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2009
Michelle Norton
Michelle Norton rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2013
Suzette Cuerpo
Suzette Cuerpo rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2013
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Misfit
Gosh this was fun. So many ups and downs and twists and unexpected turns.
Hafiza
Hafiza rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2013
Carola Salisbury is a pseudonym for Michael Butterworth.

Butterworth trained as an artist at Camberwell College of Art and worked briefly as a tutor in drawing at Nottingham College of Art. After briefly working as a salesman, he joined the Amalgamated Press (later renamed Fleetway Publications) after submitting samples of artwork to them. Although these were turned down, he tried again, submitting
More about Carola Salisbury...