Start by marking “A Gentle Creature and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
A Gentle Creature and Other Stories

A Gentle Creature and Other Stories

In these stories, Dostoevsky explores both the figure of the dreamer divorced from reality, and also his own ambiguous attitude toward utopianism, themes central to his great novels. In White Nights, the apparent idyll of the dreamer's romantic fantasies disguises profound loneliness and estrangement from "living life." A Gentle Creature and The Dream of a Ridiculous Man s ...more
Published June 1st 1995 by Oxford University Press (first published 1876)

To ask other readers questions about A Gentle Creature and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gentle Creature and Other Stories

Luís C.
I Loved this book! Analysis of the short stories from this book:

1st.) A Nasty Story (1862)

The maintenance of the story spoke to me with an irresistible farce and I expected laughter, but it did not happen.
It is indeed a farce, but it's from the cold humor. It is caustic impertinence, not fat laugh. Do not expect the maximum joke (shame on me) but it is even more terrible.
Although I had some difficulties with the names of the protagonists, unable to recognize though initially and obliged, theref
Maru Kun
"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired."
Two of the three stories in this well chosen collection prove Chekov decisively wrong. If you have mastered human psychology and looked deep into the human soul like Dostoyevsky then the pistol can appear but its hammer does not need even to be cocked.

All three stories are about dreams and dreamers. Dreams are extremely strange things which, in and of themselves, are only dreams so are neithe
MJ Nicholls
A Partial Excuse For My Misanthropy. Part One. 1) I am awestruck when I meet a new person. I babble to overcompensate for the feelings of respect I have for this person who is alive, like me, and who lives a life, like me. 2) I like people! 3) Then something happens. The more I speak to the person I have met who is brilliant, the more I start to realise how profoundly not brilliant they are. How ordinary. How like me. 4) All those wonderful words they used when we first met, like “hello” and “pl ...more
Angie P.
Jan 19, 2017 Angie P. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Η μια ιστορια καλυτερη απο την αλλη....ισως ξεχωρισα λιγο παραπανω το Ονειρο ενος Γελοιου....τοσο αλληγορικο και τοσο επικαιρο. Οι λευκες νυχτες επισης πολυ δυνατο κειμενο....σε προσγειωνει αποτομα στην πραγματικοτητα και την σκληροτητα των ανθρωπινων σχεσεων αλλα παρατηρεις και μια δοση αλτρουισμου που πλεον σπανιζει! Ισως λιγοτερο αγαπημενο απο τα τρια θα ελεγα πως ηταν το Μια γλυκια γυναικα....ενας μονολογος του συγγραφεα πανω απο την ηδη νεκρη γυναικα του..οπως και να'χει ο Ντοστογιεφσκυ ειν ...more
Hugo Emanuel
May 22, 2013 Hugo Emanuel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
“A Submissa e Outras Histórias” coleciona uma série de contos de Dostoievski que demonstram, acima de tudo, duas características do autor que julgo serem pouco discutidas e apontadas: a sua versatilidade e o seu humor. São duas características que habitualmente não são atribuídas a Dostoievski, provavelmente devido ao facto de os seus trabalhos mais conhecidos serem obras monumentais e trágicas, com um crítico e temerário olhar sobre as grandes questões sociais, morais e filosóficos da época e o ...more
Margaret
May 01, 2015 Margaret rated it really liked it
A Gentle Creature is a collection of three short stories by Dostoyevsky: "White Nights," "A Gentle Creature," and "The Dream of a Ridiculous Man." Taken together, these three stories are representative of many of the themes Dostoyevsky explores in his novels. In "White Nights," the protagonist is a solitary man who has never spoken to a woman, and rarely speaks to anyone at all. One evening on his ritual walk, he encounters a young woman weeping and they form a brief nightly friendship. In "A Ge ...more
Stewart Clem
May 06, 2009 Stewart Clem rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
"Dream of a Ridiculous Man" is one of the greatest short stories ever written.
Evripidis Gousiaris
Sep 15, 2015 Evripidis Gousiaris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Το παρόν βιβλίο περιλαμβάνει τρεις αυτόνομες μικρές ιστορίες με διαφορετικούς πρωταγωνιστές και πλοκή, περιέχοντας όμως όλες το στοιχείο του ονείρου. Ο Dostoyevsky καταφέρνει μέσα σε λίγες σελίδες να παρουσιάσει ολοκληρωμένους και αληθοφανείς χαρακτήρες, όπως επίσης να σκιαγραφήσει διαφορετικές προσωπικότητες τις οποίες ο αναγνώστης θα κατανοήσει και θα ξεχωρίσει αμέσως. Ο κάθε ήρωας θα τον ταξιδέψει στην δικιά του περιπέτεια, την οποία χρωματίζει με την δικιά του παλέτα σκέψης καθώς την αφηγείτ ...more
Amir
Dec 21, 2007 Amir rated it liked it
شبهای روشن
مترجم: قاسم کبیری
تعداد صفحات کتاب: ۹۵ صفحه

ماجرای کتاب یه رمان رمانتیک خیلی قوی و در عین حال غمناک هست. فیلم شبهای روشن رو با اقتباس از این کتاب ساختن و اگر فیلم رو دیدین من حتما توصیه میکنم کتابش رو هم بخونین.
داستان سبک آشنای نویسنده های روس و بخصوص خود داستایوسکی هست. موضوع داستان تمرکز داره بر روی طبقه فهمیده ولی از لحاظ مالی ضعیف. توی این داستان هم سبک داستانهای داستایوسکی نوعی از درونگرایی و افسردگی به صورت واضح دیده میشه که با یه احساس رمانتیک قوی آمیخته شده.

نازک دل
مترجم: قاسم کب
Lauren G
Jun 13, 2007 Lauren G rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"dreams of a ridiculous man" will change your life. it's what was inside my brain as a little kid all the time. i felt comfort and awe in delving into dostoyevsky's heavy, haunting, and touching 20-odd pages of this story.

white nights and notes from the underground are also two other huge favorites i read the same year.
Celine
I really enjoyed these three novellas. "White Nights" is about a chance meeting, about a man who lives with his head in the clouds and a woman waiting for her beloved to return his affections after a year's absence. I loved how the turn of events in this novella was so realistic and truthful, instead of contrived such as we tend to be used to as a reader.

"A Gentle Creature" is a monologue of a man whose wife has just died. His thoughts churn around and around in his head, and he tries everythin
Marinho Lopes
Aug 07, 2015 Marinho Lopes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“A Submissa e Outras Histórias” de Fiódor Dostoiévski inclui as seguintes “histórias”: “Uma história dos diabos”, “Apontamentos de Inverno sobre impressões de Verão”, “O crocodilo”, “Bobok”, “Menino numa festa de Natal”, “O Mujique Marei”, “A centenária”, “A submissa - história fantástica”, e o “Sonho de um homem ridículo - conto fantástico”. Apesar de bastantes diferentes entre si, estes contos e pequenas novelas ilustram bem o génio de Dostoiévski no retrato psicológico das suas personagens. D ...more
Neil
Feb 18, 2009 Neil rated it really liked it
This is great. Gotta read more Dostoevsky. next up: The Idiot.
Gabrielle
Aug 18, 2010 Gabrielle rated it it was amazing
I started to read Dostoevsky with this book, and feel completely in love.
John Pistelli
This little book, translated by Alan Myers, collects three of Dostoevsky’s short works on the subject of the "dreamer"—one early piece, the classic 1848 novella "White Nights," and two pieces of the 1870s, first published in D.’s Diary of a Writer: "A Gentle Creature" and "The Dream of the Ridiculous Man." This allows a fascinating juxtaposition of the writer’s early and late styles. Spoilers below.

"White Nights." I have been meaning to read this one for a long time, and somehow never got around
Jolyon Tuck
Mar 12, 2017 Jolyon Tuck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These three short stories appear in a totally accessible translation. Love, loss, suicide, utopia, isolation - it's all here and it is completely relevant still.
Dimitar Dimitroff
Mar 12, 2017 Dimitar Dimitroff rated it really liked it
Even though the first story was, to me, quite meaningless, the second and especially the third one blew my mind away. I cannot even say why, but I was enraptured.
Uninvited
Oct 24, 2016 Uninvited rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book mainly because I've been wanting to read The Dream of a Ridiculous Man for quite some time. Turns out, it was the other two short stories that I found interesting.
The Dream is about a man who is on the verge of suicide, but on the night he decides to kill himself, he falls asleep, dreams of a "perfect" world and realizes how simple it is to achieve such a world just by following one rule - not one magic rule, mind you, this wasn't an internet banner ad. I won't give a
Pedro
Mar 05, 2015 Pedro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uma História dos Diabos: A premissa é interessante e o desenvolvimento também. Pena a história ser interrompida com inúmeras explicações e divagações. Apesar disso, é uma sátira hilariante cm personagens memoráveis. 4 estrelas

Apontamentos de Inverno sobre Impressões de Verão: Prometia ser uma crónica de viagens e acaba por ser uma crítica de costumes em forma de ensaio sobre a influência da Europa na Rússia. Para quem espera um conto, é difícil de ler. 2 estrelas

O Crocodilo: Uma história fantást
Sophie
λατρεύω τα διηγήματα του dostoyevsky. κ αυτό γιατί καταφέρνει να εξελίσσει τους χαρακτήρες του ακόμα και σε μικρή έκταση, καθιστώντας τους πολύπλευρους και πάνω απ όλα ρεαλιστικούς.

οι λευκές νύχτες αφορούν έναν ανεκπλήρωτο έρωτα, και είναι διήγημα βουτηγμένο στη μελαγχολία. ο πρωταγωνιστής του ερωτεύεται παράφορα μια κοπέλα που έχει ήδη δοθεί συναισθηματικά σε άλλον.

το όνειρο ενός γελοίου μιλά για έναν άνθρωπο που αυτοχαρακτηρίζεται γελοίος και που πασχίζει να αλλάξει τα δεδομένα της κοινωνίας
Nikolin Kote
Oct 02, 2016 Nikolin Kote rated it liked it
Nuk do pershkruaj punen e Fjodorit(po marr guximin ta quaj me emer , se me eshte bere shume i afert keto kohe), por do perqas mendimet e mia me nje cope paragraf nga kjo novele, qe te them te verteten eshte dhe boshti qe vertitet kjo veper.
Cila ishte arsyeja qe vdiq kjo grua? Me besoni! Sinqerisht dhe seriozisht rrekem ta kuptoj gjithcka, po perse i dha fund jetes , kete s'po mundem dot ta shpjegoj. Pyetja dhe tani me mbeti pa pergjigje. Mos valle, u tremb nga dashuria ime prej te cmenduri? Mos
Julia
Jul 22, 2011 Julia rated it it was amazing
The first story, White Nights, is a dreamy, clearly delineated account of an intense and fleeting love. I thought about the Wire, "You want it to be one way...but it's the other way."

Dostoyevsky apparently wrote A Gentle Creature after reading a news story about a seamstress who jumped out of a window, icon in hand: "a meek suicide" that "keeps haunting you for a long time." Sums it up pretty well - this is a super creepy story, with a narrator whose relentless self-absorption fails to yield any
Pete daPixie
Three stories in this Fyodor Dostoyevsky sampler. 'White Nights' was written in the 1840's and can be considered an early work which was not very successful. I found it overly romantic. It hints at a suicide which is a theme in all these tales.
'A Gentle Creature' (1876) is a more mature and interesting multi-themed story, which ends in a suicide and 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man' (1877) is a far more fantastic composition than the latter two, and here, Dostoyevsky begins with a suicide. Certain
Riley Haas
Dec 29, 2016 Riley Haas rated it liked it
"Just reviewing "A Gentle Creature."
This is a little change, because he actually explains in the preface what he is doing stylistically, which is notably different from most of his other work. It's interesting and it is a real twist on the "man saving a woman" plot.
I have trouble with the male character sometimes, but I guess he's not that different from many of the other protagonists in his other shorter works."
Maria
Jan 29, 2013 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, classics
I've read this book one or two years ago. I completely forgot about this book until a friend who borrowed it returned it. However, I remember all stories in this book very well.

This was my introduction to Dostoyevsky, and I've never been more impressed. The stories are very complex, and full of symbolism, but very heartfelt despite the themes.
Bruno Carriço
Uma história dos diabos e A submissa são os habitualmente bem trabalhados conflitos morais de Dostoievski. Muito bons. Pelo meio há coisas menores e um penoso (de enfadonho!) Notas de Inverno sobre impressões de Verão.
Adam
Mar 30, 2014 Adam rated it it was amazing
Every time I read his books I feel sad with every sentence for I know that with each sentence the end of his novel is near. As for this particular story it is the saddest and most touching one I ever read. No one, I repeat, no one can ever write at this level. Out of this world.
Inge
Oct 22, 2007 Inge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm biased because I love Dostoevsky to begin with. The stories in this book are in his usual psycho/analytical style, though they are perhaps some of his more twisted ones. You're just not sure what you're supposed to be thinking, and I think that's the whole idea.
Tiffany
Sep 02, 2007 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
I love Dyostovesky's short stories. They are much more focused than the novels, there is no room for pages of meanandering philosophical deliberation so action is more immediate. Look for the humor behind the darkness, it's there, trust me.
B-MO
Oct 28, 2007 B-MO rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Mutiple Short Stories....some of them already talked about in other reviews...

Gentle Creature was an intresting way of telling a story...From the mind of an already demented man standing over his freshly dead wife's body. Trying to justify the situation to himself....preety twisted...
  • Creatures That Once Were Men
  • Stories
  • Dostoevsky: The Mantle of the Prophet, 1871-1881
  • Collected Poems
  • A Confession and Other Religious Writings
  • The Best Early Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Russian Magic Tales from Pushkin to Platonov
  • Tales and Sketches
  • Nevsky Prospect (Russian Texts)
  • The Last Joy
  • Selected Poems
  • Tolstoy: A Biography
  • The Time: Night
  • The Innocents Abroad/Roughing It
  • The Portable Nineteenth-Century Russian Reader (Portable Library)
  • Plays 1957-1980
Fyodor Mikhaylovich Dostoyevsky (Russian: Фёдор Михайлович Достоевский), sometimes transliterated Dostoevsky, was a Russian novelist, journalist, and short-story writer whose psychological penetration into the human soul had a profound influence on the 20th century novel.

Dostoyevsky was the second son of a former army doctor. He was educated at home and at a private school. Shortly after the death
More about Fyodor Dostoyevsky...

“I was laughed at by everyone upon every occasion. But no one knew or guessed that if there was a man on this earth who knew better than anyone how ridiculous I was, that man was myself, and that was the thing that I found most exasperating of all, that they did not know it.” 3 likes
“I was ready to leave with every load, with every worthy individual of respectable appearance hiring a cab; but absolutely nobody invited me, not one; it was as if they had forgotten me, as if I was actually something alien to them!” 2 likes