Start by marking “Leaving Fletchville” as Want to Read:
Leaving Fletchville

Leaving Fletchville

Brandon is the biggest and toughest kid in his small-town school. He is feared as a bully, but he only pretends to be "dumb as a bag of hammers," so he can learn as much as possible about the people around him. When Leon, his sister Winnie, and their lively little brother Sam, arrive in Kingsville, they are the only black people in town. Everyone is curious about ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Leaving Fletchville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaving Fletchville

Canadian Children's Book Centre
Brandon Clifford is big, good at fighting, disruptive in class and uninterested in schoolwork. As the book begins, he makes sure to cause a commotion just as the teacher is questioning Zach about his assignment. Why? Brandon knows that Zach will get a beating from his father if his homework isn’t done and Brandon is also observant and kind – something he tries to hide. Then Leon George’s family moves into Brandon’s apartment building and Leon joins Brandon’s Grade 8 class. As the only black ...more
Brayden
Apr 01, 2016 Brayden rated it liked it
Leaving fletchville was a really interesting book because you never new were the book was going it was always a surprise. Leaving fletchville was probably one of the best books i read beside the strange gift of Gwendoline Golden. Fletchville was a very detailed book and i would definley recommend this book to anyone at anyage.
Heather
Jul 18, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
If you saw how many times Brandon was in the principal's office, you'd think he must be a really bad kid. But he's not. He is always trying to help people out - and if that means getting in trouble, no big deal. He is a very likable character and the book is a smooth and engaging read. I would definitely recommend this one to boys, especially the so-called "reluctant readers."
Emily
Dec 02, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved it. The author is so amazing. I love the book, if I could give it more than 5 stars I would!
I recommend this book to anyone that likes Realistic Fiction.
Jessica
Feb 07, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
***Spoiler Alert***

Have you ever had to be the adult in your family? Well Brandons friend Leon has to take care of his sister and brother with no parents. The genre of this book is realistic fiction because it could have happend to some kids around the world. I liked this book personally and I dont know if you will but I will show you whats it is about in my book review.

The setting takes place in Brandons school and Brandons neighboor hood in Kingsville. So it all started one day when Brandon as
MSJennifer
Feb 19, 2014 MSJennifer rated it really liked it
This book was a quick read (being that it was only 158 pages); however, it was a fantastic read. I really enjoyed getting to know the real Brandon. I knew at the beginning of the story that there was "going on" with Brandon than just the class clown. Although he puts on the act that he is the typical "always in trouble" student, I knew that there was more there. I think my suspicions about the "goodness" of Brandon's character was exposed when he checked in on a friend in need. I am not sure why ...more
Erin
Nov 05, 2014 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: booklinx
Brandon is the class jokester, not caring what other people think of him. But that doesn't mean he's a bad kid. When a new family comes to town he watches like he always does. Eventually becoming friends with Leon, the new kid in his class.

A realistic fiction depicting middle school life that wraps up just a little too neatly for me to find it completely believable. For example, getting sent to the principals office repeatedly and not getting in an trouble at home. Running around whenever you wa
Ashley
Feb 27, 2011 Ashley added it
I thought the book was interesting and a great book for young adults. The main character, Brandon was the strongest and biggest kid in his school and was known as a bully. But when he meets Leon, Winnie and Sam, everything changes. Brandon doesnt care what race they are but decides to do the right thing and help Leons family stay together as a family.:)
Joy
Jul 01, 2010 Joy rated it really liked it
Quick and great read. At first, one would assume Brandon is a bad kid, but you know what they say about assuming... Brandon is only interested in helping his friend, Leon, and Leon's sister and brother.
Me
Jan 06, 2014 Me rated it really liked it
As always a pretty much perfect read.

I love the character development, I love the plot development, I love the ending.

Quite a few laws are twisted here, but that's just how it had to be.
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2011
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2009
Thomas Radonic
Thomas Radonic rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2012
Melody
Melody rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Omar Central
Omar Central rated it did not like it
Feb 03, 2014
Rina K.
Rina K. rated it it was ok
Jul 19, 2012
Leah
Leah rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2010
Echo
Echo rated it it was ok
Dec 09, 2012
Vivian
Vivian rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2011
A Datt
A Datt rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2011
Justine
Justine rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2012
Sarah rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2012
Caleigh
Caleigh rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2014
Ally
Ally rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2012
Jessy
Jessy rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2013
Becky Brett
Becky Brett rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2013
Sanjna
Sanjna rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2013