Start by marking “Boy Gets Girl” as Want to Read:
Boy Gets Girl

Boy Gets Girl

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  281 ratings  ·  25 reviews
What is a stalker? And what kind of life can a woman lead when she knows she is being followed, obsessively and perhaps dangerously, by one?

This is the dilemma facing Theresa Bedell, a reporter in New York, in Rebecca Gilman's tensely fascinating new play. When Theresa goes on an awkward blind date with a friend of a friend, she sees no reason to continue the relationship-
Published May 29th 2000 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about Boy Gets Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boy Gets Girl

Anna
The problem with this play is that it feels like --- no, scratch that, it doesn't feel like much of anything. It's basically a dressed up version of Gender Studies 101, specifically the theory of the male gaze. Don't get me wrong -- I took and enjoyed Gender Studies 101, and the theory is pretty interesting. But this play is pretty flat, and appears to be written for shock value. I was hoping to find a slim, modern play with a strong female lead written by a female author to teach instead of Cat...more
Sean
Jan 10, 2010 Sean rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010, drama
A near perfect play about stalking, and more generally, the relations between men and women -- especially how men view women, and women view themselves. Absolutely gripping, and I thought Gilman does a great job of getting into mens' heads. She absolutely nails the men in her play, both good and bad guys. If she had help from a man to write some of the male characters, she got some really good help, and if she didn't have help, she should be a psychiatrist -- she's that spot-on.
Jen Klug
I thought the dialogue was great, for the most part. Very natural and easy and believable. She cranks up the tension but still some of it is surprisingly funny, which keeps you a little off-balance, which makes the tension even higher.

But some of the speeches were too heavy-handed. It seemed like we should be able to understand Gilman's point from the events, without having the characters tell us why it's scary and bad that this character is being stalked.

Of course, this is just from reading the...more
Marilyn
I loved the 02/03 Canadian Stage production of "Boy Gets Girl" so much that I could still here Eric Peterson's voice in my head when I read Les Kenkatt's lines over ten years later. I mention that because I can't really say if I'm giving four stars to the book itself or to my memory of the text interpreted. I do know the play offers a great mix of tension and humour, all while exploring a tough and thought-provoking topic. It's well worth a read, assuming you can't convince Peterson and friends...more
Fiona
I liked the heavy themes of how genders are raised in society, expected to ogle or be ogled. I liked that the main character remained a strong woman, even though she was was a victim of a psychopath's stalking. They'd gone on a blind date and after a few minutes and a polite beer, she decided she never wanted to see him again. Theresa was not an especially attractive character, but enough to keep Tony passionately pursuing her, even when she told him she was no interested. The tone of the stalki...more
April
Aug 29, 2012 April rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: meh, play
Okay, so I started reading this play with some great expectations. I had heard that it was great and the mini reviews on the cover made it seem entertaining and thrilling.

The play started out okay, and this just got boring. I was interested more in Theresa's interactions with Tony. It seemed like Gilman got frightened by the idea of showing more of how creepy Tony is. I know it was an artistic choice to have audience imagine what Theresa was reading in Tony's insane notes, but it just left me u...more
Gemma
This play really frustrates me. Gilman chooses an incredibly simplistic view of almost everything she purports to address—stalking, the skewed ways in which one gender perceives another, making life changes not by choice. Stalking, in particular, seems to me a *lot* more complicated than this, with much deeper effects on its object (emotional, not concrete—I suppose she gets the extreme of the concrete down pretty well). She could have solved this by developing Tony earlier, allowing them to spe...more
Nan
Gilman always laces her plays with debates about modern life and its problematic meanings. Maybe her most interesting use of it comes in this play about casual knowledge and how that translates into objectification of the most violent order. Full of tension and devolving mental strength as an identity is infringed upon.
Sherri
This was a disturbing play about a stalker. The blind-date-gone-bad is just one piece of it though. Gilman develops more fully a few other male characters to illustrate the complicated relationships between the sexes. There is a lot to discuss here.

Courtney
This is a solid play. I liked the premise and the characters (though I still can't get behind liking the interview scenes with Les), the pace was solid, and reads well. I haven't seen it performed but it's a great read with food for thought.
Rebecca
EVERYONE should read this play - it is well written, and thoroughly frightening. It brings to light an uncomfortable situation (stalking) and increases the audience's awareness of how an innocent situation can turn into a dangerous one.
Barbara
Shows the dangers of dating, stalking, and how one's life can be ruined overnight by trusting the wrong person. Also that our laws protecting women against stalkers and crazed men are completely ineffective. Scary.
Robin
A disturbing play about stalking, power and objectification. It illuminates important issues in a gripping and unsettling fashion, even if parts of the dialogue seemed more didactic than realistic.
Cait
AMAZING play. I loved it. Really creepy, and calls out rape culture and the seriousness of acquaintance stalking.
Amanda
NOT a bedtime story. But - an amazing, harrowing portrayal of the experience of being female.
Hannah
Great play. Very disturbing, but fascinating characters and raises some interesting questions.
Adam C.
Didn't love it. But its punch still landed. Makes me glad I'm done dating.
Aaron Goodier
I don't remember liking this, but it could well be because of its creepy plot.
Julia and Bryan
This also was an assignment and quite freaky.
Mark
This play is much better when it is staged.
Briggs
Very interesting. Very unsettling.
Nicholas
Probably her best so far.
Tanya
A scary play about a woman who is being stalked by a man she has turned down a relationship with. Very creepy.
Ken Ballin
  • Dead Man's Cell Phone
  • The Last Days of Judas Iscariot
  • Bash
  • Urinetown: The Musical
  • The Goat, or Who is Sylvia?
  • How I Learned to Drive
  • Anna in the Tropics
  • Topdog/Underdog
  • The Heidi Chronicles
  • subUrbia
  • A Little Night Music
  • Dog Sees God: Confessions of a Teenage Blockhead - Acting Edition
  • Dinner With Friends
Spinning Into Butter The Glory of Living Blue Surge The Sweetest Swing in Baseball The Crowd You're in With