Start by marking “The Six Messiahs (The List of Seven, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Six Messiahs (The List of Seven, #2)

The Six Messiahs (The List of Seven #2)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  649 ratings  ·  38 reviews
The ancient holy texts are missing.
The death of the world approaches.

Six extraordinary men have shared one vision of a black tower and a river of blood. Somewhere in the desert wastelands of America, the ultimate battle will be waged. The greatest experiment in evil since the beginning of time is under way, with all humanity its designated sacrifice.

The future is in the ha
Published July 26th 2005 by Avon (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Six Messiahs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Six Messiahs

kirkesque
Mark Frost's first novel was The List of 7—one of the finest stories I have ever read. Mark Frost's second novel The Six Messiahs I grabbed up with an eager ferocity I have not often experienced.

The copy I read was 424 pages in length. Reaching page 419, I would have given this one 4 stars; a fine work, a few flaws. The last five pages took three and a half of those stars away. He... just... stopped. The ending would have to have done something to even be bad. This one wasn't even enough to get
Fabian
I guess its a rule of action adventure books that the grander the scale the less endearing the tale. This is the sequel to "The List of 7," an eye-opening superfuntoread experience. The same characters, Arthur Conan Doyle, Jack Sparks, Alexander... all return. If this were The Mummy franchise, 7=The Mummy, 6=The Mummy Returns.

There is to be a congregation of six figureheads at a dark tower in the middle of Arizona. Doyle travels the ocean (has some obstacles... his brother accompanies him on hi
Jeanene
Overall, a good story.

There were couple of times when I questioned the accuracy of some of the historical details, which really pulled me out of the moment. It's that sort of thing that can make or break an historical novel.

I wasn't particularly happy with the Jack Sparks character development, and wished that there was more of him and less of Doyle like in the first book.

On the plus side, Frost's writing skills were noticeably better, even if the story wasn't. The final chapter was well writte
Craig
I'm a great admirer of Mark Frost and loved 'The List of Seven' and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the transference of those main characters from Victorian England to the New World. It was an engrossing and enjoyable romp from East to West and the central story remained gripping - my only minor complaint was that the ending felt a little truncated; I could greedily have accepted a more extended denouement. Nonetheless, a top-notch read!
Silver
I remember when I read The List of Seven in high school, and I found the book to be completely fascinating. I kept me on the edge of my seat and once I picked it up I did not want to put it down. I absolutely loved Jack Sparks. So when I happened upon this book I was quite excited about it. Needless to say I was left somewhat disappointed. There was something about this book that I found not quite as engaging as the first book. It took me a bit longer to really get into it, and I thought it star ...more
Jason Pettus
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com:]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted illegally.)

I recently had occasion to think again about the exquisitely strange 1990s television show Twin Peaks, co-created by David Lynch and Mark Frost; and that got me thinking again about Frost's two genre novels from that time period as well, 1993's The List of 7 and '95's The 6 Messiahs, the first of which I
Talia
This is the sequel to an earlier book, "The List of 7." I thoroughly enjoyed the first book in this 'series.' It was gripping, fast-paced and really drew me in to the world of Jack Sparks and Arthur Conan Doyle.

This latest outing is set in late 1890's America, dancing from New York out to California before settling in Arizona. The plot, while still following the occultic theme of the first book, just didn't grab my attention as much as "7." Because there were so many characters in this book, I
Jan
The Six Messiahs is a story of "evil". The Author, Mark Frost tells a story of another Author. Arthur Conan Doyle, who wrote the Sherlock Holmes books.

In this story Mr. Doyle and his brother have embarked on a tour of America to sell his books. However, on-board the ship, sailing to America, he becomes immediately drawn into intrigue, himself becoming somewhat of a "Holmes" character and his brother his "Watson". He also meets an old friend,Jack Sparks who, it appears, was the muse for his books
Dulce Brito
Mark Frost en su libro del sexto mesías nos habla sobre la vida de Arthur Conan Doyle y su famoso personaje Sherlock Holmes, es una historia entretenida abordo de un barco lleno de asesinos y un ninja, hay muerte y aventura, es muy complejo, porque cuenta varias historias a la vez, pero esta padre.
Alex Scales
Some of the worst writing I have ever experienced, with a plot that reads like Stephen King fan fiction. The concept of the series (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle vs dark forces) is full of potential, but fails to do anything memorable.
Damarys
la verdad me costo tomarle el ritmo a este libro, en un inicio me parecio lento y sin sentido (lo odie), luego al avanzar la trama mejoro con personajes entretenidos.

el libro es la continuacion de otro (mm no lo lei y tampoco me parecio necesario; éste se explica muy bien solo) y trata principalmente del bien y el mal que reina en todo ser humano y la opción que poseemos de escoger a uno o el otro con sus debidas consecuencias.

3 estrellas más que suficiente porque tiene un inicio difícil, el des
Thk
I was glad that I pressed on reading this book, written in quite a quirky and unusual style that does not really promote fast reading. A highly off-the-track storyline that involves Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Thomas Edison a la The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, many has said that Frost's books are great material for a movie script, and this is not a bad suggestion considering his contributions as scriptwriter for the Twin Peaks show. Taking place in the wild wild West, with hints of religio ...more
Jo
Another good read from Mark Frost. However, the reason I dropped a star was the ending - it was as if the author ran out of paper and so abruptly finished the story in a very hurried and incongruous manner from which the rest of the book had been written.

Having said that, I really did enjoy the book. I like Frost's style of writing, and how he pulls together several story lines to one climatic conclusion. He keeps the reader engaged and I did find it hard to put down at the end of each chapter.

S
Stephanie Nunley
Herbert
Add this to the list of sequels that never should have been written. Loved The List of Seven—a real page-turner—but this book is lousy. So slow! It took me 5 mos. to read this thing; I kept putting it down and picking it up again. The plot is incoherent. The writing is torturous. Way to many anachronisms make it a poor work of historical fiction. Do not waste your time.
William Thomas
A ludicrous novel by the co-creator of Twin Peaks. This book switched from modern prose to 19th century prose and utilized historical figures to create a B rate The Stand. Possibly, Mark Frost, you should also do a bit of research about the period you are writing about and understand that writing dialogue based on modern historical findings when the characters would have no way of understanding those findings 100 years prior makes your book come across as amateurish and laughable.
Sadie
One of my guilty pleasures that I don't often admit is reading religious conspiracy type thrillers. I don't read many since I don't seek them out but when I find one by accident at the library, I'll check it out.

The premise isn't bad, though not great, the characters are mostly interesting and the writing is about mediocre, but still, this book is a very generous ok. I couldn't recommend it to anyone unless unsatisfying endings and less than thought out plot lines are appealing.
Jeff LaSala
For the most part, an enjoyable read—due in part to my fondness for the protagonists I already came to like from the superior The List of 7. But where I rereading that one periodically, this one wasn't as memorable. I did like it, though. I liked seeing a new take on old America from the eyes of Brits. The ending was definitely a disappointment. One of the most rushed sequences I've ever read.
Shawn Hart
While not as good as the first, it is still a pretty good story.
Tanya
I read this because Mark Frost did Twin Peaks with David Lynch, and I wanted to see what he was capable of on his own. Little did I know, Mark Frost did a lot of the Twin Peaks writing, and perhaps moreso even that Lynch. This book is very good; although I only vaguely remember the story line, I remember being impressed.
Ryan
Fun read. My only real complaint about this book is that the set-up took SOOO LONG, and the ending was very abrupt. At times, there were too many storylines going on - I'm still not sure the time devoted to Dante Scruggs was worth it. List of 7 was better, but I'm glad I read this one also.
Nancy
almost as good as The List of Seven.. like a fine Japanese ink drawing, a few lines deftly done, give you a whole charecter. Great Holy Books, figures of vast sprituality and ancient knowledge solving a crime that may destroy all of mankind. a entertaining & mind opening adventure.
Nicholas
Nov 16, 2007 Nicholas rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sherlock Holmes fans, Twin Peaks/David Lynch Fans
Doesn't sing quite as high as the first novel, The LIst of Seven, but The Six Messiahs delivers the goods nonetheless. It's been well over ten years since I read it - but it was very well crafted and a fine read. Still remember much of it vividly - the mark of a "good" novel.
Roger
Few times has a sequel so disappointed me. The disappointment I experienced reading "The Six Messiahs" was nearly on a par with the disappointment I felt reading "Dune Messiah". "The List of 7" was a great book...but this sequel fell flat!
James
The start and ending was okay but the middle seemed to lag in pacing. The List of 7 was much better.
Jamie
I found myself enjoying this entry into the Doyle series nearly as much as the original entry. While not high culture they are entertaining light reading and perhaps that alone is enough to recommend them.
Ronald Wilcox
First novel in the series "The List of 7" was markedly better than this sequel. Last part of the book did not even feel like it was written by the same author as the first 3/4 ths. Disappointed.
John
One of my all time favorite books. I wish he'd write more than just the two books in the series. I love a mix of history, the supernatural, and Sherlock Holmes.
Lilienalien
i liked the list of seven more, but is a great mystery and dark journey
Julie
This one was hard to start for me. Enjoyable but with no satisfying ending.
  • The Night Calls
  • The Lost Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Holmes for the Holidays
  • The Amateur Executioner: Enoch Hale Meets Sherlock Holmes
  • Vládci strachu
  • The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite, #1)
  • The Consulting Detective Trilogy Part I: University
  • On Conan Doyle
  • Night Watch: A Long-Lost Adventure in Which Sherlock Holmes Meets Father Brown
  • The Minutes of the Lazarus Club
  • The Limehouse Text (Barker & Llewelyn, #3)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Alliance
  • The Sign of the Four: A Sherlock Holmes Graphic Novel
  • Young Miss Holmes, Casebook 1-2
  • Steampunk Holmes: Legacy of the Nautilus
  • The Angel of the Opera: Sherlock Holmes Meets the Phantom of the Opera
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Plague of Dracula
  • Chapel Noir (Irene Adler, #5)

The List of Seven (2 books)
  • The List of Seven (The List of Seven, #1)
The Paladin Prophecy (The Paladin Prophecy, #1) Alliance (The Paladin Prophecy, #2) The List of Seven (The List of Seven, #1) The Match: The Day the Game of Golf Changed Forever The Greatest Game Ever Played