Start by marking “Maybe Tomorrow” as Want to Read:
Maybe Tomorrow

Maybe Tomorrow

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The other day this little one asked me, "When did you start being an Aborigine, and how old were you when you started that?" Like it was a career path or something. I just cracked up laughing.
Boori Pryor's career path has taken him from the Aboriginal fringe camps of his birth to the runway, the catwalk, the basketball court, the DJ console, and now to performance and stor
Published February 28th 1998 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Maybe Tomorrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maybe Tomorrow

Georgie
I first read this book when I was in high school, and it was a thought-provoking introduction to contemporary Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander issues through the life of Boori. His story is full of tragedy and pain and yet told with humour and hope. I re-read it years later as a student teacher, around the time I visited a remote Indigenous community in North-East Arnhem Land. Diving back into this narrative as an adult, having read and thought a lot more about Indigenous rights and issues, ...more
Bryce
Boori's story is told in a somewhat non-narrative manner through anecdotes and through discussion of a number of themes. He gives a thought provoking and emotionally poignant appeal for reconciliation, engagement and cooperation and backs this up with methods for this to be achieved. Despite all he has been through, he is never angry but is often funny.
Miffy
There should be more stories like this in the world. Monty Pryor's heart-breaking, uplifting, and funny recollections of his life - so far - will fill your heart and feed your soul. If you think that you know about 'the Aboriginal history' of Australia - think again. Monty brings an intensely personal point of view to the history of Australia, and at that same time manages to describe the universal experience of Aborigine's on this island both before and after the arrival of Europeans.
Written in
Emma - Mybookcorner
When I arrived in Australia three years ago I went straight to the library to learn more about the country I had landed in. The first book I walked away with was 'Maybe Tomorrow'.

I have since recommended it to friends, book clubs and now I recommend it to you. Many parts of it have stayed with me, and I hope that My Book Corner does it justice here.

Reading this book feels like Boori is talking to you - as a reader you gain a real sense of who he is and what he thinks - and this feels like a real
Benn Jamieson
Best book that I have read all year. Sensational insight into modern Indigenous Australia. I later met the author when he came to speak to my students at my school, and they loved him.
Aston Martin
A great autobiography which puts power and agency into the authors hands. Indigenous Australians have had their histories written by "academics", mainly the white anglo-saxon variety. Maybe Tomorrow sheds light on what life is like for many Indigenous Australians. A very sad, yet uplifting story that Maybe Tomorrow many more Indigenous Australians can share their stories too.
Carol
A book that has given me a lot to think about in terms of where I fit, what I can do and what I need to do. I love the work that he is doing in the schools with raising awareness of very real struggles and issues and helping to correct some misconceptions. A very honest book that had me laughing at his insight and stories and crying at the tragedies both current and past.
Franziska Crivelli
It was my first book, while my stay in Australia. This book is amazing, instructive, heartbreaking and much more!!!
It helped me to learn more about the aboriginal culture. It would be a great story for a movie!!!
Terese Smith
Well worth reading. A unique insight and voice. Sad and uplifting at the same time.
Weird coincidence to find a connection to one of the Irish suffragists I wrote my thesis about so many years ago.
Kim Wilson
This was a book I had to read for school, but it was a complete eye opener for me. I really liked his storytelling.
Cristy
An amazing book that opened my eyes and made me re-evaluate what I knew about my country.
Marjorie Mason
Marjorie Mason marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Annalise
Annalise marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Mehalet
Mehalet is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2015
Steph Fanny
Steph Fanny marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Phoebe Bowen
Phoebe Bowen marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Lulanorwood
Lulanorwood marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Marco Cerbo
Marco Cerbo marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Emmanuel Shamoun
Emmanuel Shamoun marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Jace
Jace marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Estelle Tatiana
Estelle Tatiana marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Khristinariley
Khristinariley marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Shake a Leg Two Hollow Sticks, a Bunch of Leaves and Me Riding the Black Cockatoo My Girragundji The Binna Binna Man