Start by marking “Welding with Children: Stories” as Want to Read:
Welding with Children: Stories

Welding with Children: Stories

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  276 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A master storyteller's triumphant, moving collection about lost souls, found love, and rediscovered tradition

Tim Gautreaux returns to the form that won him his first fans, with tales of family, sin, and redemption: from a man who realizes his grandchildren are growing up without any sense of right or wrong, and he's to blame; to a camera repairman who uncovers a young woma
Published September 3rd 2000 by Picador (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Welding with Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welding with Children

Suzanne Moore
All these stories were very entertaining, but “Sorry Blood” had me on the edge of my seat so to speak. I worried through most of the story about the old farmer with Alzheimer’s. When the old man was picked up by a stranger claiming to be his son, I was furious with the way he was being exploited. The slob who took advantage of the confused old man was so grotesque that I wanted him to get his due in the worst way. Others have compared Gautreaux to Flannery O'Conner and I can see the resemblance ...more
Julianne
This was a perfect lunch hour book for two reasons. First, each short story in this collection takes about 45 minutes to read start-to-finish, so the logistics couldn't have been better. And second, these stories take place for the most part in southern Louisiana (though not New Orleans), and I enjoyed getting that far out of the office each day.

Though each short story is self-contained and capable of standing on its own (no recurring characters), they all seem to complement each other. Each su
Anara Guard
I read a lot of stories, and Tim Gautreaux has a voice unlike any other. His particular Louisiana tone is so precise, the strangeness of some of his characters is heartbreaking. They are everyday and odd at the same time. As the title of the collection indicates, they take risks and do things that no "ordinary" person would dream of doing, and they somehow seem not to regard the perils as we think they should. We cringe at the choices they make, we hope for the best, we turn the page, we sih.
Richda Mcnutt
I loved Gautreaux's novel, "The Missing," and was so pleased when my daughter gave this collection of short stories to me for my birthday. It did not disappoint - unlike some collections which are quite repetitive in either theme or similar characters, Gautreaux gives us eleven stories that are completely different. Some are humorous, some bittersweet, some quirky; but all feature unique Louisianans that will keep you entertained. The only bad thing about the book: it's not long enough.
Sharon
Tim Gautreaux was my creative writing professor in the 70's. My grown daughter gave me this book for a birthday present, as she knew how highly I thought of Dr. Gautreaux. I had forgotten what a splendid writer he was. The title story, Welding with Children, is both heartbreaking in parts and laugh out loud funny in other parts. Wonderful, wonderful stories.
Mary Z : )
This is my first Tim Gautreaux book, but certainly not the last. He has outstanding storytelling skills. The characters and storylines are fresh, interesting, and diverse. The short stories feel complete, yet at the same time there's a sense that each story existed before and after the episode I read. This was a page turner that I didn't want to end.
Mike R-w
I liked this collection better than Same Places, Same Things, though I gave them both four stars (I'd be in favor of a 100 star rating system). So many contemporary short story authors equate "bleak" with "literary." In Welding with Children, Gautreaux demonstrates how a story can be hopeful without being cheesy or unrealistic.
Jlnpeacock
This is a collection of excellent short stories. There were a number that were so real and touching; others were delightfully funny. Perhaps the stories seem more true because they take place in South Louisiana...and I do know a few folks just like the ones in the stories. It was a pleasant read.
Dianne
Spotted this book in the book stack at Goodwill. Got my money's worth. Effective title-made me pick it out of a row of books. I've read other books since then, but didn't realize it was the same author until then.
Justa Lanie
I loved every one of these stories. Each had an ongoing tension to pull you through the story and each had unique characters that you can't find anywhere else. Great book for anyone who loves Southern fiction.
Julian Cruz
Just read the first story; don't bother with the rest.
Leah
We read this for a college class and I remember it being a fantastic collection of short stories. I would draw a comparison between Gautreaux and Flannery O'Connor.
Stephanie Murphy
This is the first Gautreaux story I ever read. It was delightful and so much fun to go back home with. It got me hooked on his stories. Now I'm a big fan.
Elizabeth Michael
Gautreax is a lot like Carver and Dubus, except that he's wholly southern and, in many ways, a lot less serious--and never aims to be anything but.
Restroom
Unfortunately this is not instructional and at no point involves the use of children as flux. I rolled the dice; I lost.
Lacey
Nov 28, 2007 Lacey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone over 16
Shelves: southern-lit
You'll never really know why you like this book as much as you. But there's a symmetry and poetry that make it a classic.
Katie
Really 3-1/2 stars. Entertaining stories with well-developed characters. I'll look forward to reading some of his other books.
Great selection of short stories by an excellent Louisiana author. My favorite story was "Easy Pickings"!
Kitty Tomlinson
Short story collection that really brings forth the atmosphere of South Louisiana. Great writer.
Marilynn
Southern short stories. A great and varied collection. Loved it!
David
A fine, slim volume of some of Gautreaux's sweetest stories.
Karen
Beautiful language, compelling characters, engaging stories!
John
Tim Gautreaux is an authentic voice of Cajun Louisiana.
William Milton
Interesting short stories. "Easy Pickings" was hilarious.
Cassidy Alexander
Really good stories well written.
Joshua
As good as I remembered. Maybe better.
Sharon Creal
The Piano Tuner - not to be missed.
Kate
Gatreaux writes great stories. Period.
J-P Teti
These stories are delightful and funny.
Melissa
Easy Pickings was a riot.
  • The Hermit's Story: Stories
  • Fast Lanes
  • The End of California
  • Half in Love: Stories
  • The Voice at the Back Door
The Missing The Clearing The Next Step in the Dance Same Place, Same Things: Stories Waiting for the Evening News: Stories of the Deep South

“I flunked out that semester, but I got my money's worth learning about people that don't have hearts no bigger than bird shot.” 2 likes