Start by marking “Welding with Children: Stories” as Want to Read:
Welding with Children: Stories

Welding with Children: Stories

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  315 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
A master storyteller's triumphant, moving collection about lost souls, found love, and rediscovered tradition

Tim Gautreaux returns to the form that won him his first fans, with tales of family, sin, and redemption: from a man who realizes his grandchildren are growing up without any sense of right or wrong, and he's to blame; to a camera repairman who uncovers a young woma
Published September 3rd 2000 by Picador (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Welding with Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welding with Children

Patty
Nov 09, 2015 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the stories really knocked my socks off. Sorry Blood and Easy Pickings were my favorites, and I imagine I'll read them many times. Some of the other stories were also excellent, and there were a few that were good but not great. I will be seeking out his other books, books for sure.
Suzanne Moore
Oct 13, 2012 Suzanne Moore rated it really liked it
All these stories were very entertaining, but “Sorry Blood” had me on the edge of my seat so to speak. I worried through most of the story about the old farmer with Alzheimer’s. When the old man was picked up by a stranger claiming to be his son, I was furious with the way he was being exploited. The slob who took advantage of the confused old man was so grotesque that I wanted him to get his due in the worst way. Others have compared Gautreaux to Flannery O'Conner and I can see the resemblance ...more
Pam Marriott
Aug 22, 2015 Pam Marriott rated it it was amazing
The voice, the voice, the voice! A true ventriloquist with his characters but the honesty and heart of this author is heard in the placement and sound of every word. A magician of precision in tight, full writing, however impossible that seems! I savored every story. Yummmm!
Julianne
Jan 10, 2011 Julianne rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was a perfect lunch hour book for two reasons. First, each short story in this collection takes about 45 minutes to read start-to-finish, so the logistics couldn't have been better. And second, these stories take place for the most part in southern Louisiana (though not New Orleans), and I enjoyed getting that far out of the office each day.

Though each short story is self-contained and capable of standing on its own (no recurring characters), they all seem to complement each other. Each su
Anara Guard
Nov 06, 2014 Anara Guard rated it really liked it
I read a lot of stories, and Tim Gautreaux has a voice unlike any other. His particular Louisiana tone is so precise, the strangeness of some of his characters is heartbreaking. They are everyday and odd at the same time. As the title of the collection indicates, they take risks and do things that no "ordinary" person would dream of doing, and they somehow seem not to regard the perils as we think they should. We cringe at the choices they make, we hope for the best, we turn the page, we sih.
Richda Mcnutt
Jun 24, 2011 Richda Mcnutt rated it really liked it
I loved Gautreaux's novel, "The Missing," and was so pleased when my daughter gave this collection of short stories to me for my birthday. It did not disappoint - unlike some collections which are quite repetitive in either theme or similar characters, Gautreaux gives us eleven stories that are completely different. Some are humorous, some bittersweet, some quirky; but all feature unique Louisianans that will keep you entertained. The only bad thing about the book: it's not long enough.
Rhonda Browning White
Feb 05, 2015 Rhonda Browning White rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection of stories that range from heartache to humor. There's no way I could select a favorite. This is definitely a collection I'll read again one day.

Highly recommended.
Sharon
Apr 06, 2013 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Tim Gautreaux was my creative writing professor in the 70's. My grown daughter gave me this book for a birthday present, as she knew how highly I thought of Dr. Gautreaux. I had forgotten what a splendid writer he was. The title story, Welding with Children, is both heartbreaking in parts and laugh out loud funny in other parts. Wonderful, wonderful stories.
Mary Z : )
Feb 08, 2013 Mary Z : ) rated it it was amazing
This is my first Tim Gautreaux book, but certainly not the last. He has outstanding storytelling skills. The characters and storylines are fresh, interesting, and diverse. The short stories feel complete, yet at the same time there's a sense that each story existed before and after the episode I read. This was a page turner that I didn't want to end.
Mike R-w
Aug 28, 2007 Mike R-w rated it really liked it
I liked this collection better than Same Places, Same Things, though I gave them both four stars (I'd be in favor of a 100 star rating system). So many contemporary short story authors equate "bleak" with "literary." In Welding with Children, Gautreaux demonstrates how a story can be hopeful without being cheesy or unrealistic.
Jlnpeacock
Mar 02, 2010 Jlnpeacock rated it really liked it
This is a collection of excellent short stories. There were a number that were so real and touching; others were delightfully funny. Perhaps the stories seem more true because they take place in South Louisiana...and I do know a few folks just like the ones in the stories. It was a pleasant read.
Dianne
Jun 18, 2009 Dianne rated it liked it
Spotted this book in the book stack at Goodwill. Got my money's worth. Effective title-made me pick it out of a row of books. I've read other books since then, but didn't realize it was the same author until then.
Justa Lanie
Nov 04, 2013 Justa Lanie rated it it was amazing
I loved every one of these stories. Each had an ongoing tension to pull you through the story and each had unique characters that you can't find anywhere else. Great book for anyone who loves Southern fiction.
Julian Cruz
May 29, 2014 Julian Cruz rated it liked it
Just read the first story; don't bother with the rest.
Leah
Jul 22, 2009 Leah rated it really liked it
We read this for a college class and I remember it being a fantastic collection of short stories. I would draw a comparison between Gautreaux and Flannery O'Connor.
Stephanie Murphy
May 27, 2011 Stephanie Murphy rated it really liked it
This is the first Gautreaux story I ever read. It was delightful and so much fun to go back home with. It got me hooked on his stories. Now I'm a big fan.
Elizabeth Michael
Feb 01, 2008 Elizabeth Michael rated it really liked it
Gautreax is a lot like Carver and Dubus, except that he's wholly southern and, in many ways, a lot less serious--and never aims to be anything but.
Restroom
Nov 07, 2010 Restroom rated it did not like it
Unfortunately this is not instructional and at no point involves the use of children as flux. I rolled the dice; I lost.
Lacey
Nov 28, 2007 Lacey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone over 16
Shelves: southern-lit
You'll never really know why you like this book as much as you. But there's a symmetry and poetry that make it a classic.
Katie
Aug 13, 2009 Katie rated it liked it
Really 3-1/2 stars. Entertaining stories with well-developed characters. I'll look forward to reading some of his other books.
Aug 02, 2015 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few stories were five stars (the first one, Welding with Children, particularly). Others were just ok.
Great selection of short stories by an excellent Louisiana author. My favorite story was "Easy Pickings"!
Kitty Tomlinson
Dec 17, 2008 Kitty Tomlinson rated it it was amazing
Short story collection that really brings forth the atmosphere of South Louisiana. Great writer.
Marilynn
Jun 21, 2012 Marilynn rated it it was amazing
Southern short stories. A great and varied collection. Loved it!
David
Feb 25, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
A fine, slim volume of some of Gautreaux's sweetest stories.
Karen
May 14, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful language, compelling characters, engaging stories!
John
Nov 16, 2008 John rated it it was amazing
Tim Gautreaux is an authentic voice of Cajun Louisiana.
William
Oct 21, 2009 William rated it really liked it
Interesting short stories. "Easy Pickings" was hilarious.
Cassidy Alexander
May 14, 2014 Cassidy Alexander rated it it was amazing
Really good stories well written.
Joshua
Sep 21, 2013 Joshua rated it really liked it
As good as I remembered. Maybe better.
  • Oyster
  • The Hermit's Story: Stories
  • Poachers
  • Selected Stories of Eudora Welty: A Curtain of Green And Other Stories / The Wide Net and Other Stories
  • Red Clay, Blue Cadillac: Stories of Twelve Southern Women
  • First, Body: Stories
  • One D.O.A., One on the Way
  • Big Bad Love
  • The End of California

“I flunked out that semester, but I got my money's worth learning about people that don't have hearts no bigger than bird shot.” 2 likes