The Most Important Place on Earth: What a Christian Home Looks Like and How to Build One

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Many people did not grow up in a Christian home, and many more do not consider their childhood experience a good model. Robert Wolgemuth presents this inspiring, practical book for people who want to have a Christian home.

So, what's so great about a Christian home? There's redemption. There's forgiveness. There's hope. Laughter and genuine happiness. There's discipline and...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Nelson Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Most Important Place on Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Most Important Place on Earth

Elizabeth
Feb 15, 2011 Elizabeth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christian parents
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Kelly
Shelves: faith, parenting
Fantastic book, loved it, definitely recommend it to all parents.
It was humorous, insightful and packed with lots of solid biblical advice given in a casual manner-he said take it or leave as you wish. He told lots of stories (a little too many intro ones in my opinions) but it made it a quick read.
I have several friends who don't like reading parenting books, but I find I need to read them frequently, it helps ground me and remind me of good things to do in my 'job'. I got really mad at the fou...more
Kelly
I do not typically read parenting books, but my brother-in-law and sister-in-law recently gave me this book and I ended up reading it straight through in two days. It has really good, concrete ideas for creating a positive, emotionally safe home for your family and how to live your faith in your family. Not everything was something I needed to read about to know - I already tell my husband and son that I love them multiple times a day- but all the information was necessary because I know not eve...more
Christina
I read through this book with a discussion group this summer... and then summer ended and I just finished the last three chapters. This book has made a huge impact on my life and in our home this year- it's full of encouraging and practical ideas on how to have a Christian home that is warm, loving and points others to Christ. The author gives so many great ideas he warns in the introduction you must pick a few at a time to implement and then come back for more.

I will not go into details because...more
Carolyn
Loved this book. Felt like I knew him since so much of the book happens in Wheaton and Nashville. Hopefully my life trajectory will also include Orlando. :)

In any case, I liked this book because it seemed so common sense - kind of like what it is - an older Christian just presenting some advice. I want my home to be "a kingdom outpost." I grew up in a home with many spoken and unspoken rules for behavior and it was not a place any of us wanted to bring our friends. I practically grew up in my be...more
Cari
The best parenting book I've read - came highly recommended for good reason. I've read this twice but need to reread it every year so I remember what is truly important in the lives of my children.
Carolyn
Lots of good ideas and advice about how to have a Christian home. Very practical and biblical.

My main draw-back: I could tell the author was a 60-year-old man speaking to 30-year-old women, particularly by his examples, which felt a bit outdated or unrealistic. (i.e. I wish I'd been his editor.) At the same time, there was something comforting about reading an older father's perspective on creating a Christian home.

In the end, I'm not sure I would have finished it on my own, but it was a good c...more
Colleen
I read this book this summer, and would recommend it to friends with a caveat - there are parts that are legalistic, but the ideas are wonderful. It is encouraging to me that I can create a home where Christ is in the center. I plan to read this book again, as I am sure new parts will be more applicable as my children grow older.
Carrie
I would give this book a 10 if I could! It provides simple, practical ways to create a Christian atmosphere in your home and ways to "walk the walk". I would highly encourage believers who did not grow up in a Christian home to read this book - it will definitely get you headed in the right direction.
Shannon
Feb 17, 2010 Shannon rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: newly weds
A very good overview of what a Christian home is about. We all need reminders and this is one that gives me a that without finger pointing. The author offers exmaples from his own life experiences so we learn along with him.
Peggy
A good and practable book about the running of a Christian home. There was nothing much new, but the author put it all together and a good review about what is really important.
Jill
Not sure what I was looking for, but there was no new information here. Most of the info here was how we already live.
Monica
I read this one over and over. What a great read!!!!
Melinda
This book was incredible! I've loved the practical applications. Read through it with a book club this summer and finished it on my own. We have been implementing many of the suggestions. Our most memorable so far is the ABC memory verse book. My 2 year old has enjoyed this and has almost 26 verses to memory - working on getting the last 3 done before she turns 3:) Highly recommend.
Emily
I loved this . . .
Sarah is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2014
Clint
Clint is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2014
Jodi St.peter
Jodi St.peter marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Fiu Tori
Fiu Tori marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Melissa Pecunia
Melissa Pecunia marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
karen
karen marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Jackamo
Jackamo marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Most Important Year in a Man's Life/The Most Important Year in a Woman's Life: What Every Groom Needs to Know/What Every Bride Needs to Know She Calls Me Daddy: Seven Things Every Man Needs to Know About Building a Complete Daughter Couples of the Bible: A One-Year Devotional Study to Draw You Closer to God and Each Other 7 Things You Better Have Nailed Down Before All Hell Breaks Loose How to Lead Your Child to Christ [With CD]