Start by marking “Music of Silence: A Sacred Journey Through the Hours of the Day” as Want to Read:
Music of Silence: A Sacred Journey Through the Hours of the Day

Music of Silence: A Sacred Journey Through the Hours of the Day

Music of Silence shows how to incorporate the sacred meaning of monastic living into everyday life by following the natural rhythm of the hours of the day. The book tells how mindfulness and prayer can reconnect us with the sources of joy. “An invitation to join in quiet ecstasy, to rediscover sacred rhythms.” — Jack Kornfield, author of A Path with Heart
Published November 30th 2001 by Ulysses Press (first published November 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Music of Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Music of Silence

Louanne Enns
Jun 16, 2013 Louanne Enns rated it liked it
Read this little book in preparation for and on a Quiet Retreat. It was a helpful overview of the monastic hours of the day and the gifts each hour brings. A great book to read to help re-cover a sense of the rhythms of our days and years.

I particularly like the chapter on the hour of Prime in that it is a deliberate "assigning of the work" for each day that begs one to pause and consider what is to be done. The reminder to not begin in the middle, but to pause and start each day anew, is sage
Brian
Feb 16, 2015 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a warm and wise little volume, beautiful and useful even to an atheist like me (though admittedly I'm the kind of atheist who has a curious notalgic fondness for Catholic ritual and a fascination with monasteries).

Using the canonical hours, also known as the Divine Office, the authors offer what is basically a framework for reflection, mindfulness, and intentional action amid the routine of an ordinary day. Frankly, if you are able to "read around" some of the more explicit Christian my
booklady
Excellent audio book which I wouldn't mind owning as a written text as well, for the sake of all the wonderful quotes. This is the second time (at least) I've listened to it and it serves as a encouragement to see all work as prayer when properly, i.e., reflectively done. It also creates a desire to listen to Chant. Last time I remember going out and purchasing a bunch of CDs. This time, I just need to get them out and start listening to them again.

This book is worth returning to for refresher a
Michael
Mar 10, 2009 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality, 1990s
This is an interesting little book about the symbolism of different angels associated with hours of the day, and it's written by a monk. But, I was hoping to learn more factual / historical information; it's a little self-helpy.
Ann Yeong
May 11, 2015 Ann Yeong rated it it was amazing
How does one live in touch with eternity from day to day? How can we enter into Kairos even as we go about our work and busyness in our daily lives? In this lovely little book, Brother David Steindl-Rast O.S.B. breaks open the day into its "seasons", each with its own message, grace, contemplation, and action. He explains how the Liturgy of the Hours (or the 'angel' announcing each hour) invites each of us to a contemplative living out of each day.

From centering ourselves in the silence before d
Karen
Aug 11, 2016 Karen rated it liked it
His work feels like poetry rather than prose.

"The economics of affluence demand that things that were special for us last year must now be taken for granted; so the containers gets bigger, and the joy of overflowing--gratefulness--is taken away from us. But if we make the vessel smaller and smaller by reducing our needs, then the overflowing comes sooner and with it the joy of gratefulness. It's the overflow that sparkles in the sun.
The less you have, the more you appreciate what you've got. W
Richard Southworth
Feb 18, 2014 Richard Southworth rated it it was amazing
Excellent Book. I had always thought that all of the monastic services were essentially just so many prayer services during the day. Even though much of my own practice comes out of the monastic tradition I just figured that there was no way for me to do that many prayer times each day so I did not pay attention to what they were about. Steindl-Rast took me on "a sacred journey through the hours of the day" and in the process I learned that each of those "hours" had a special focus, and they wor ...more
Emsiclaire
May 07, 2016 Emsiclaire rated it it was amazing
This was the kind of book I need to start better knowing David Staindl-Rast's work.
"Music of Silence" is a beautifully crafted Book of Hours (there are so many citations from Rilke's poetry collection too) for everyday' spiritual path of joy, serenity, inner dialogue with God and ourselves. Through this book you can experience gratefulness every our of the day; you learn to «Stop, Look and Go», according to Staindl-Rast's preciuos philosophy of life hour by hour, before dawn until night.

Since I
Karen Floyd
Jun 15, 2010 Karen Floyd rated it it was amazing
I actually own the 1st ed; didn't realize there was a 2nd. Which means I'll probably have to acquire the latter to see what the differences are!
A beautiful, accessible little book for laymen/women about the monastic hours, what each means, and suggestions for incorporating at least the awareness of them into our lives and the rhythm of our days. Steindl-Rast urges the importance of living in the present moment instead of staying stuck in constantly reliving the past or anticipating the future, s
Nicos Hadjicostis
Jul 13, 2016 Nicos Hadjicostis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
The "Music of Silence" by David Steindl-Rast and Sharon Lebell is a modern spiritual masterpiece! It shows how to introduce the secret meanig of monastic life into our everyday lives. Ideas such as gratefulness, present moment awareness, aliveness and more, are introduced in a way that is both profound and simple. To be read and re-read many times.
C.
Jul 21, 2014 C. rated it really liked it
This book was used in a Religion course at the university where I worked. I've had it for several years without reading it. In a fit of sudden inspiration, I took it up. It is was quite good and led me to find out more about Brother David's work. He can be found at Gratefulness.org, a wonderful website full of inspiration, including meditations for each of the hours he speaks of in his book.
Tandava Brahmachari
Nov 09, 2012 Tandava Brahmachari rated it liked it
Lovely tour through the hours of the day from a contemplative, monastic perspective. I felt like I would have appreciated a bit more guidelines of what to do with it all, but it was nice, regardless.
Aggie
Aug 23, 2007 Aggie rated it it was amazing
about incorporating a monastic life in your daily life... the rhythms of the day and the angels that beckon us then..
Jan
Mar 21, 2011 Jan rated it really liked it
Shelves: reread, religion
This is a wonderful book, which I recommend to everyone who wants or needs to think about the way he leads his daily life. A book to reread every other year when old (bad) habits return.
Lyn
Sep 10, 2015 Lyn rated it it was amazing
I have been re-reading this book for decades and it still inspires, quietens and deepens; new and remembered gems of wisdom with each reading. Beautiful.
Naomi
May 09, 2013 Naomi rated it it was amazing
Lovely and luminous, Steindl-Rast guides readers through the monastic hours and encourages attention to them in every day life.
Mike
Mike rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2013
Ted Kinzer
Ted Kinzer rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2015
James
James rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2016
Angela Carlson
Angela Carlson rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2017
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Rachel Petersen
Rachel Petersen rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2008
Sheepngoat1
Sheepngoat1 rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2009
George H. Opsahl, Jr.
George H. Opsahl, Jr. rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2015
Lawrence Webster
Lawrence Webster rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2014
Brooke Larkins
Brooke Larkins rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Michael Allen
Michael Allen rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Wanda Cuniff
Wanda Cuniff rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2014
Stephanie Pilachowski
Stephanie Pilachowski rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2014
Deborah
Deborah rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Fathers
  • The Old Testament (Great Courses, #653)
  • When the Well Runs Dry: Prayer Beyond the Beginnings
  • Poustinia: Encountering God in Silence, Solitude and Prayer (Madonna House Classics Vol.1)
  • Teresa of Ávila: An Extraordinary Life
  • Why Catholics are Right
  • A Travel Guide to Heaven
  • The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality
  • 7 Secrets of the Eucharist
BROTHER DAVID STEINDL-RAST (b. 1926) is one of the most well-known spiritual teachers in the world. Born in Austria, he came to the United States after receiving his PhD in Psychology from the University of Vienna. As a member of the Benedictine Order of Catholic monks, he is known for pioneering work in interfaith dialogue (especially between Christianity and Buddhism), his promotion of the spiri ...more
More about David Steindl-Rast...

“Look closely and you will find that people are happy because they are grateful. The opposite of gratefulness is just taking everything for granted. ” 30 likes