Start by marking “When Darkness Falls (Alliance Vampires #2)” as Want to Read:
When Darkness Falls (Alliance Vampires #2)

When Darkness Falls (Alliance Vampires #2)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,342 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
WHEN DARKNESS FALLS...
In a windswept Scottish cemetery, Jade MacGregor's carefree vacation abroad is marred by a seemingly random tragedy. A year later, back home on a shadowy French Quarter street, she glimpses an oddly familiar face. Coincidence--or something far more disturbing?
AND TERROR TAKES HOLD...
Surrounded by her friends and engrossed in her work, Jade should feel
Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Published October 1st 2000 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about When Darkness Falls, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
A Rush of Wings by Adrian PhoenixHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostIn the Blood by Adrian PhoenixOne Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene FrostBeneath the Skin by Adrian Phoenix
Paranormal in New Orleans
140th out of 264 books — 364 voters
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le GuinTall, Dark, and Vampire by Sara  HumphreysDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisIn a Dark Wood Wandering by Hella S. HaasseDark Heart of Magic by Jennifer Estep
Books with Dark in the title.
123rd out of 164 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Sherri Hunter
Mar 15, 2010 Sherri Hunter rated it really liked it
I've had this book in my TBR pile for the better part of 8 years now and was never compelled to read it. Last year, I decided I needed to be proactive in culling down my TBR pile, I found this book in one of the many nooks and crannies I have books stashed in and pulled it out deciding this is one I would read, though the desire that grips most readers to read a particular book wasn't present for me with this book. I don't know why since paranormals top the list of my favorites in genre.

WHEN DAR
Philip
Apr 05, 2016 Philip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Heather Graham book that I have read. For me it was a book that was hard to lay down once I got started (but sometimes you have to make yourself do it). Just a little about it; Jade McGregor goes to Scotland to do research on old cemeteries, joins a group of college students to tour an underground tomb. She is then caught up in a vampire attack, where some of the college students are killed, she is saved by a mysterious man, she and a few students survive. Is this all over for J ...more
Holly
Oct 14, 2009 Holly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of paranormal romance/vampire fiction
Serena Akeroyd
Apr 08, 2012 Serena Akeroyd rated it liked it
I really love paranormal stories and it's the genre in which I want to write, so I can be a little critical, but in this book, I was quite disappointed by the lack of romance between the hero and heroine- Lucian and Jade. The basics were there and good they were, but I really wanted Jade and Lucian to be feeling the luuurve and it didn't feel as though they were. Which really made the story lacking to my mind. I loved the paranormal parts, which did feel under-developed, but still, great afterno ...more
Gina
Mar 11, 2011 Gina rated it liked it
After picking this up as an afterthought in a used bookstore for $1, this was much better than I expected. The worldbuilding was very good and I like the characters. Plot development and pacing could have used some serious work. I thought this was the 1st in the series but I was wrong. Reading in order may have helped with the issues I had with it. I liked it enough that I'll pick up the others if available cheap and used as well.
Phoebebb
Feb 08, 2015 Phoebebb rated it it was amazing
This book turned me into a reader. I never really liked reading ... until I found the right subject. This book introduced me to the world of vampires which inspired me to explore more into the paranormal world of reading. It is still to this day one of my very favorite books, and will always hold the very first memory I have of that feeling after you have just read a very good book.
Gina
Mar 15, 2008 Gina rated it it was amazing
Just as excellent as the first. A connection is felt between the characters, Jade and Lucian in particular, but with her sister, father, stepmother, and friends alike. The suspense and action was perfectly blended and kept me coming back for more. Drake's descriptions put you in the middle of the story with no going back. Can't wait to read Book #3, Deep Midnight.
Diane Paules
May 14, 2014 Diane Paules rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

The only thing I didn't like was the poor editing. Look past that and you have a wonderful story of love and vampires. I really enjoyed reading about Maggie, Sean, and Lucien again. A great read if you are a fan of the genre. loved it.
Sherry
Apr 13, 2013 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heather Graham is one of my favorite authors. I don't think she could write a bad book if she tried. I am in love with "HER" New Orleans & the tours she gives us with her books. I love the mystery & suspense in which she weaves her tales. Delightful.
Lottie Hancock
This was the first Heather Graham book I had ever read and I have been hooked ever since.
Paranormal Romance
Suppressing the horrible memories of her near death experience in Scotland at the hands of vampires and the living dead, the heroine is sure all that is behind her. That is until similar ritualistic murders start happening in New York, then North Carolina.. moving closer and closer to New Orleans. Scared, she turns to her boyfriend cop and his connections in homicide to try to find answers to why this is happening and if-as she fears- has something to do in connection to her. But the police can' ...more
Emily
Apr 01, 2011 Emily rated it it was ok
This second book in Shannon Drake's vampire series was really quite disappointing. In addition to the myriad spelling, grammar and punctuation mistakes, the plot and characters were very lacking. My copy is not even an ARC, so I was completely mystified as to why the publishing company would allow this manuscript to be sold in this condition.
Lucian, self-proclaimed "king of the vampires" is the hero of this tale, doing battle against an ancient foe that seems too powerful to defeat. Fortunately
Julie
Aug 14, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
When Darkness Falls, by Shannon Drake ( Heather Graham) is a vampire romance novel. Written a good five years before the Twilight books made paranormal romance hot as fire, the author sticks to the basics as we knew them at that time. Jade, an author, lives in New Orleans. She survived a mass murder in Scotland while doing research for a book. She finally starts getting her life back to normal. She has good friends and family and is dating the perfect guy. But, one by one, the survivors in Scotl ...more
Deborah Vespo
Apr 28, 2013 Deborah Vespo rated it it was amazing
Cool, just discovered that Shannon Drake and Heather Graham are the same person. I'm a bit slow that way. Anyway, this is great vampire story. You've got your good vampires and then your really really bad vampires. These guys are not your run of the mill kinds of vamps that a lot of contemporary authors are writing about. They are vicious, evil monsters that have no compunction when it comes to killing anyone. There is a lot of great background history that explains the main Vampire character's ...more
Lindsey
Jul 10, 2014 Lindsey rated it it was ok
Why am I reading vampire smut?

The story line is pretty decent and I love the sex scenes, especially when Drake refers to the peoples' genitals as his/her "sex" - ok I'm being sarcastic with the last comment. Unfortunately, I find the writing a bit choppy. There is no flow in the sentences and her word choice makes me think she is a smart girl who needs more practice writing.
Wendy Brandt
Jan 27, 2016 Wendy Brandt rated it really liked it
The second installment was not quite as good as the first one. I think perhaps it was a little too drawn out. I am, however, really enjoying this series.
Lauren
Dec 02, 2015 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, vampires
A year after a terrible massacre in Scotland that jade witnessed the culprits are back to kill the survivors. Unfortunately they know that jade was one of them and they will do everything in their power to try and kill her. That is where her savior Lucian comes in but he also has to convince jade that things aren't always what they seem.

Such a great story even rereading it over. I loved Lucian's totally vampiric character. He just embodies my thoughts of the perfect sexy vampire in my dreams.
Michelle
When a book is on my actively reading list for 3 months, it becomes obvious that I am not going to finish it. I just want to make it clear that it is not the story fault, but Barnes and Nobles.
If you are going to scan an out of copy right book, PLEASE have at least one person proof read the scanned version before you sell it online! at least one word a page was wrong. It is very distracting and takes away from the story when you have to figure out if that h should be an n and that H should be a
Karen
Mar 16, 2016 Karen rated it liked it
Better than the first book in the series.
Diane
Feb 12, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it
seems each story is the same thing over and over in each book..just with different characters adding to the group. this is the one with more werewolf in it and i do like that. about time. lol. something different.
JackieB
Sep 03, 2012 JackieB rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, supernatural
I thought this was a good PNR. It had good believable characters and the plot generally built up tension well. The only slight drawback for me was that there were a series of flashbacks which filled in one character's backstory. I didn't think that it really needed filling in with the amount of detail (and flashbacks) which were used. I thought the flashbacks "diluted" the build up of tension in the main plot a little. However, I am not a big fan of flashbacks, so that may account for my feeling ...more
Janine Grondahl
Jan 22, 2016 Janine Grondahl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only four stars because I was frustrated with some of the characters stupidity after they found out about vampires....
Draven
Nov 05, 2011 Draven rated it it was ok
Sorely disappointing follow-up to Beneath A Blood Red Moon. All the things I loved about Lucien in the first book disappeared the second he met the character of Jade. I felt it was a gross injustice to both the fans of the series and a character that was so vivid in the previous novel and had such potential to make the second book even better than the first.

This is the only book that the author has ever let me down with, that I've read of hers, so far.
Leirmarx
it has a nice plot. and I have such high hopes for Lucians story. generally its a good story its just that the main characters seems not connected. they seems to be like friends with benefit. maybe its just me but the passion I was expecting from an ancient vampire who found love for the second time seems blah in this book. and I'm waiting for an epilog coz the ending is unsatisfactory. I mean that's it? what happens next?
Allison
Oct 15, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It was well written and had enough romance as well as suspense and intrigue. I liked how all of Jade's friends came out to help her in the end. She has very loyal and wonderful friends to do that and stand by her when her life had been turned upside down since her trip to Scotland. I would have loved to find out what happened between Jade and Lucien after everything.
Carrie
Apr 03, 2013 Carrie rated it liked it
I read the first of the series a year or so ago, and wish I had realized it was connected so I could re-read it first. The book stands alone well though, it just bugged me that I couldn't remember all of the backstory to some of the other characters. Well paced, some interesting ideas about vampire culture and their interaction in our world. A good read!
T.M. Carper
Dec 29, 2014 T.M. Carper rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, paranormal
Second in a series. Maggie and Sean (from the previous book) has cameos and the vampire king Lucian (also seen before) takes center stage against an old vampire who is killing groups across the globe.

Fast-paced up until the conclusion, especially when it's clear that they are feeding on Jade's friends and family.
Feb 04, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A good paranormal romance / thriller involving good vampires vs bad vampires set mostly in present day New Orleans. This is the second book in Shannon Drake's vampire series. This is the story of Lucian and Jade. I especially enjoyed learning about Lucian's past and how he became a vampire.
Nikki Duplantier
Sep 04, 2013 Nikki Duplantier rated it did not like it
This book was horrible. It was horribly written and the character development was just awful. There was nothing that kept my intrigued. Lucian and Jade have no chemistry at all. I was ready to put the book down as soon as I began reading it.
Cenna Lipscomb
Jun 15, 2013 Cenna Lipscomb rated it liked it
I really didn't connect with this book at all. The vampire part of the story was very interesting, however the romance was severely lacking. There was no heat or passion between the H/H at all, and their romance was very contrived.
  • Kiss of Darkness (Alliance Vampires, #7)
  • Be Mine Forever (Forever Vampires #3)
  • The Vampire Who Loved Me (Cabot, #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
Heather Graham Pozzessere
aka Heather Graham, Shannon Drake

Heather Graham was born on March 15, 1953 and grew up in Dade County, Florida, and attended the University of South Florida at Tampa, majoring in theater arts and touring Europe and parts of Asia and Africa as part of her studies. After college, she acted in dinner theaters, modeled, waitressed, and tended bar. She married Hershey Dennis Po
More about Shannon Drake...

Alliance Vampires (8 books)
  • Beneath A Blood Red Moon (Alliance Vampires #1)
  • Deep Midnight (Alliance Vampires #3)
  • Realm Of Shadows (Alliance Vampires #4)
  • The Awakening (Alliance Vampires #5)
  • Dead By Dusk (Alliance Vampires #6)
  • Kiss of Darkness (Alliance Vampires, #7)
  • Blood Red  (Alliance Vampires, #8)