Start by marking “Quotations From Chairman Mao Tse-Tung” as Want to Read:
Quotations From Chairman Mao Tse-Tung

Quotations From Chairman Mao Tse-Tung

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  810 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Quotations from Chairman Mao Zedong (simplified Chinese: 毛主席语录; pinyin: Máo zhǔxí yǔlù) has been published by the People's Republic of China since April '64. It is a collection of quotations excerpted from speeches & publications. The alternative "The Little Red Book" was coined by the West for a pocket-sized edition printed to facilitate easy carrying. The closest eq ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1964)

Clouds
[the interesting words are in the comments]

Who hasn't heard of Chairman Mao's little red book?
But who's actually read it?
It's like Che Guevara - a political icon that's been absorbed into pop-culture.

This is firmly on my 'read one day and stop being an ignorant ass' list.

Either that, or I'm just writing some on-topic drivel so my review won't be deleted by the Goodreads Censor.
A little of column A, a little of column B...
*makes a see-saw motion with his hands*

chris
Mar 31, 2007 chris rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: stalinist assholes
While I read this in 9th grade, while I was still an aspiring Marxist-Leninist, I think that 2 years later I can safely discard it. The content consists solely of Mao quoting himself. This book serves no purpose, other than for Bob Avakian and his followers in the Revolutionary Communist Party, who in all probability masturbate to it on a daily basis.
Manny
More or less on impulse, we went on a short trip today to see the Musée Suisse du Jeu in La Tour-de-Peilz. The setting is extraordinarily charming: it's an old castle on the shore of Lake Léman, not far from Montreux.

Musée Suisse du Jeu

Our excuse for visiting was a simultaneous Go exhibition being given by a German 3 Dan player. I hadn't played for a couple of years, so I asked for a three stone handicap and after many vicissitudes finally managed to win the game. The German guy was a good sport about it, conside
Vanessa
Chairman Mao was many things to many people, but to me he'll always be boring.
Stevie
My understanding and empathy for China's form of communism was deepened.

Poignant Quotes:

...When human society advances to the point where classes and states are eliminated, there will be no more wars, counter-revolutionary or revolutionary, unjust or just; that will be the era of perpetual peace for mankind.

Over a long period we have developed this concept for the struggle against the enemy: strategically we should despise all our enemies, but tactically we should take them all seriously.

Place p
Jason Marciak
Statements of revolution, communism, how to found a nation and build a worldwide movement are the core of this book. Quotations should be read by any person looking to capture a goal for themselves. There are lessons of direction, how to manage resources and people and how to pass on these lessons from generation to the next. Communism and capitalism intermingle in this book enough for one to see the embittered battle that once had the full audience of the world's attention.
Michael Gerald Dealino
To summarize it in one word: CRAP.

Only a person with a minutiae of a brain could possibly appreciate this propagandic piece of gibberish and gobbledygook from a man responsible for the deaths of at least forty million Chinese.

The author and this work can't be recycled, unfortunately. The pages can be used for toilet paper though.
Tom Oman
The Little Red Book is just a bunch of repetitive drivel.

I read this book as an historian, not as someone looking for ideological inspiration. I have always been fascinated with Chinese history and Mao in particular so I thought I would have a read through the infamous book that condensed the thoughts and philosophies of the man who influenced so many.

Well sadly it did not turn out to be the intriguing insight into the mind of Mao that I thought it might be. Rather it is just a bunch of repetiti
Nocheevo
Dec 17, 2007 Nocheevo rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Try hard lefty revolutionaries and rabid right wingers with short attention spans
Shelves: politics, history
Chairman Mao, Chinese leader and one of those pillars of Communist thought that earned an -ism that is the legacy of all successful commies.

This isn't much of a political treatise, more a collection of speeches and sound bites on a number of topics from which the overall themes can be gleaned. Some of points are great and concise, some a little rambling but its interesting to contrast his rural based concepts with the Marxist-Leninist model.

Its easy enough to dip in and out as required. It make
Sean O'kane
A fascinating read this. The title of being one of "the most published books of all time" carrys some baggage these days as it usually means populist trash. Not this. This collection of quotes contains some gems of wisdom, but also some advice that perhaps seemed relevant to the cause at the time but now sound dictatorial. Nevertheless, its historical importance as a glimpse into Chinese history and politics is without parallell. Even if you disagree with reactionary politics, this is a must rea ...more
Seth Kupchick
I first learned about this book from the Sixties comedy classic, "I Love you Alice B. Toklas," so I guess this movie taught me about Gertrude Stein and Chairman Mao, not two people I'd usually put together, since Mao wrote that 'a revolution is not a dinner party,' and Gertrude Stein was famous for her dinner parties, but that might say more about how many free thoughts were running through the Sixties when Herbie gave his straight older lawyer brother this book on the Venice boardwalk, and star ...more
David Spencer
Mao is mostly a poetic and beautiful man in the writings before the assumption of power in China in '49, but most of his later output is pretty intense and Orwellian double-speakesque. Still, some fucking excellent quotations in here, and a really interesting look at the evolution of Mao's particular brand of Marxism-Leninism, at least up to the 60s.
John Christy
Mao updated communism and resolved many of its internal contradictions, particularly after Khrushchev's rise in the USSR which coincided with increasing liberalism and bureaucracy. Required reading for any serious political analyst regardless of ideological bent
Rachel Jackson
It's hard to review Quotations from Mao Zedong without some kind of historical perspective, especially one from the United States, but I tried to read the book as people would have done so back when it was published — even then, it seems laughable that anyone would believe in his words more. Quotations is a typical propaganda attempt by the Chinese government to get people to conform to their ideas of socialism and communism.

I am not commenting on this book from a philosophical or ideological po
Hank Pin
The Great Helmsman's words flow like the mighty water of the Yellow River, majestic and calm, bringing nourishment to the Chinese people. The Glorious Teacher, Chairman Mao, has developed the universal truth of Marxist-Leninist thought to a new height, guiding the nation on a new path towards constructing socialism. Chairman Mao, the people yearn for you like the crops yearning for the sun!

Anyone who doesn't like the words of the Great Helmsman is a capitalist roader, running dogs of Liu Shaoqi
Jayden gonzalez
to investigate a problem is to solve it.
Don Gubler
Reading for understanding.
Patricia
My first thought reading this collection of quotations was that Chairman Mao was very organized. The revolutionary's enemies were categorized as imperialists (warlards, bureaucrats, comprador class, big Landlord class, reactionary section of the intelligentsia), right wing of the middle bourgeoisie. Allies were classed as petty bourgeoisie and semi-proletariat. I guess this was a good trait for someone who needed to organize the masses in revolution.

One thing I was also surprised about was Mao's
Erik Graff
May 13, 2008 Erik Graff rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in the Cultural Revolution
Recommended to Erik by: Edward Erickson
My exposure to the efficacy of Mao Zedong Thought came about in struggle with imperialist forces here, in Illinois, in 1969.

Martin had an older brother who had insinuated himself into the U.S. Armed Forces to such an extent that he had become responsible for elements of their training. Part of that consisted of war games and he invited Martin, George, Ed and I to participate. Seeing this as an opportunity to obtain experience in guerilla warfare tactics, I jumped at the chance.

Awakening to a red
Cherie
There is such a disconnect between what Mao is quoted as saying in this book and what Mao actually did, that this book is difficult to read. Knowing a little of the the history of the Cultural Revolution and the Great Leap Forward makes this book sound a little like George Orwell's "Animal Farm" "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"
Richard
I picked this one up at my parents home. Both of them were raised as devout Christians, but rebelled against the old values of obedience and religious prudence in their youth (and against the draft-boards and war in Viet Nam in case of my father).
While "Quotations From Chairman Mao" are still culturally and politically significant, I, as a liberal, could not identify with any of what he was saying; the atrocities of the cultural revolution and great leap forward kept popping up in my mind, which
Books Ring Mah Bell
Not the edition I looked at. I picked this up at my dad's house... a second edition from 1967. Inside, a few pages in, is the following stamp: A copy of this material has been filed at the Foreign Agents Registration Section, Department of Justice, Washington, DC... blah blah The fact of registration does not indicate approval of this material by the Government of the United States.

Cool.

This started a great conversation on China and communism, my dad went into the basement to look for "more of
Tom
Occasionally interesting as a keyhole to how propaganda operates; mostly dull and monotonous.
Jennifer Cui
As a Chinese I find those days fascinating and I'm learning more and more through talks with my mum and hopefully get to talk more with my grandparents (who are all for Mao more or less). This is not a novel or a non-fiction. It carries history. Stop saying Mao's a self-boasting prick, we all know that, but hey, do you even know why or even bother asking why?(because he was a prick.. Yeah)

P.S. i don't care what he was, he did write a few decent poems. And please don't rate them by their translat
Lazarus
I received this book from CN Times Books in a Goodreads giveaway.

The Red Book is a collection of excerpts from Mao's speeches and writings, compiled from throughout his public life. Mao saw himself as something of a warrior-sage in the style of Sun-Tzu, as his writings on "people's war", and his strategies against imperial powers strongly attest. He saw the sheer number of Chinese as the country's greatest political and strategic asset, and formulated his uniquely Chinese conception of worker's
Benjamin Sheffield
I wonder if anyone, while very hungry, tried to eat their copy of this book...
Doyle
le succès du Petit livre rouge qui est donc un recueil de citations peut s'expliquer par son caractère pratique et accessible. les questions toujours contemporaines des contradictions du peuple, de la guérilla et de l'organisation d'un mouvement de masse mais aussi les points plus sensibles que sont la haine de "l'ultradémocratisme" et l'obéissance aux dogmes du Parti et qui est un "révisionniste" sont toujours aussi importantes à comprendre pour continuer à mener une lutte des classes
zoot
Literally just a bunch of short quotations from Mao's works. Historically this book is extremely important, but I don't rate on historical importance. On it's own terms, there's little of interest here. Maybe it provides a quick synthesis of Mao's thought, but really, if that's what you're looking for, you might as well just use Google.

Some of the quotations are nice enough, but I'm sure it'd be better to read them in the context of the original pieces.
Allen
I read this in one night. My Mom and dad gave it to me after getting back from China. He heavy believes in Marxist-Leninist theories. I agree mostly with the book about how you treat people. But he has a hate for Japan and the USA and call them Imperialist. Of course this was after the 2nd World War. the Idea's laid out in the this book are great but it is communist and certain part of your beliefs are not permitted. He says the only God that does Exisist is YOU!
Gerard
There's really not much to say here.
It's a nice book with a whole bunch of qoutes from Mao Zedong, bundled with some guiding text.

I received this book for free through Goodreads Firstreads.
  • Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems: Ptolemaic and Copernican
  • The State and Revolution
  • The Doctrine of Fascism
  • Red Star over China: The Classic Account of the Birth of Chinese Communism
  • The Rhetoric & The Poetics of Aristotle (Modern Library)
  • Martin Luther's Ninety-Five Theses
  • An Essay on the Principle of Population
  • Das Kapital
  • Sextus Empiricus: Outlines of Scepticism
  • The World as Will and Idea: Abridged in 1 Vol
  • Serranto's Redemption (Breaking Out, #2)
  • New Science
  • Papal Bull: An Ex-Catholic Calls Out the Catholic Church
Mao Zedong, also transliterated as Mao Tse-tung, and commonly referred to as Chairman Mao, was a Chinese Communist revolutionary, guerrilla warfare strategist, Marxist political philosopher, and leader of the Chinese Revolution. He was the architect and founding father of the People's Republic of China (PRC) from its establishment in 1949, and held control over the nation until his death in 1976. ...more
More about Mao Tse-tung...
On Guerrilla Warfare On Practice and Contradiction On Contradiction Four Essays on Philosophy Selected Readings from the Works of Mao Tsetung

“An army of the people is invincible!” 31 likes
“The great man, Genghis Khan, only knew how to shoot eagles with an arrow. The past is past. To see real heroes, look around you.” 9 likes