Start by marking “The Magical Ms. Plum” as Want to Read:
The Magical Ms. Plum

The Magical Ms. Plum

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Ms. Plum is the magical teacher every schoolkid wishes for!

Everybody wants to be in Ms. Plum’s class. It’s not just that she teaches the usual things in unusual ways. There’s something more, something about Ms. Plum herself—and her mysterious supply closet. Whenever she asks her students to get her an eraser or a pencil or some paper clips, they come back with something .
Published September 8th 2009 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Magical Ms. Plum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magical Ms. Plum

Disclaimer: I read this book in manuscript form and fell in love with it immediately, sensing I was reading a contemporary Mrs. Piggle Wiggle. What kid isn't going to love a book about a magical closet that you enter looking for markers or art supplies and come out with a miniature animal. There's a catch, however: that mini animal ends up causing each kid to change in some way. Perfect for confident readers who are ready for a more sophisticated text but not the often age-inappropriate content ...more
Oh, magical grown-ups. You never get old. There is a long and strong tradition of grown-ups with extraordinary powers helping (or hindering) their young charges in the annals of children's literature. Your Mrs. Piggle-Wiggles. Your Mary Poppins. Your Ms. Frizzles. Your Younguncles, even. They're usually nannies or caretakers, but once in a while you get a teacher thrown into the mix. When someone described the plot of the early chapter book Magical Ms. Plum to me, though, I raised a skeptical ey ...more
If Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle had a sister who taught 3rd grade, she would be the delightful magical Ms. Plum. Bonny Becker has created that perfect teacher who is able to understand each student's quirks and needs. Every time Ms. Plum sends a student into her supply closet, they come out with a magical little animal friend or two. Tashala, the horse lover, comes out with a tiny horse, and she soon realizes that horses outside of her dreams have clean up issues. Eric, the class clown, gets a talking par ...more
538 PM Jeremy Kossak
Ms. Plum is a teacher at Springtime Elementary. The supply closet in her classroom holds many useful things, but it also holds something else...something mysterious. Join Ms. Plum's best class ever through a year of friendship, discoveries, and transformations! The students in Ms. Plum's third grade class learn a lot about each other and themselves in this allegory of growing up.

The prologue of the book is a great way to entice third graders to continue reading. The Magical Ms. Plum is an outsta
Dean Deters

Summary-The story is about a magical cabnet in a class .The teaacher picks on a kid to get something from the cabnet and they come out with a pet but it gose back at the end of the day .

Setting-The story takes place in a classroom .It is important to the story because in the classroom there is a magic cadnet .

Character Trait-Ms.Plum is the main character because she is a teacher .She is nice and kind .Because she says nice things like "it will be the best class ever"!

Most Important Event-One
Mrs Piggle Wiggle as a teacher finding the perfect solution for each of her students' problems. Shades of the fabled 4th graders. Fun story to read aloud.
Ms. Plum reminded me of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, except that, unlike Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, Ms. Plum is a third grade teacher. In her classroom is a magical supply closet. Whenever a child is sent to the supply closet to get something mundane (paperclips or tape, for example), that child always comes back with some sort of animal. And this animal always teaches the child a lesson. Eric talks too much and is constantly interrupting others. His animal is a parrot that can read his mind and says out loud w ...more
After reading the first chapter of The Magical Ms. Plum, I felt like it was going to be a real drag of amateur writing from start to finish. While the writing did improve a bit, what really turned this tale of third grade around is the creative premise that kept my wife, daughter, and I coming back for more after each chapter.

The story follows a Ms. Plum's third grade class for a year, and what is unique about Ms. Plum is that she has a supply closet imbued with magic. Whenever a kid goes to th
Indeed…it’s true that everyone wants to be in Ms. Plum’s class. I especially would have loved to have been in such a magical classroom as a child. This is most certainly a children’s book, which is not usually a book that I review and recommend, but upon seeing the title, I knew it would be the kind of book that a lot of people would enjoy. I feel like it should be added to the list of great children’s books that become classic over time, like Where the Wild Things Are and Alexander and the Terr ...more
Lisa Ard
What a delightful read! Wouldn't it be nice if we could walk into a magical closet and find just what we need? That's the premise behind 'The Magical Ms. Plum'. Ms. Plum teaches third grade and every one of her students recognize that she's a little different. But they can't communicate how she's different. What happens in Ms. Plum's class stays in Ms. Plum's class. And what happens is this...each child will be sent to the supply closet when they need to go. Perhaps they are overly pessimistic, ...more
Cute story to be read with the niece. This story had some good lessons that were taught in some very fun ways. The niece giggled and really seemed to enjoy the story along with the things that were taught. We discussed some of the items that were learning experiences from the book.

Well written and highly enjoyed by my tween.
Working in a school, I have a chance to see the power of a good teacher to make a difference in the lives of his/her students. While I too try to make a difference, I only see each class once a week, so except for the avid readers who I see almost every day, I often don't know all the challenges that students struggle with, both personal and familial.

This light read involves students facing up to and learning from their weaknesses through the use of a magical closet and its magical inhabitants.
Interesting concept. The students in Ms. Plum's classroom are introduced to her supply closet where they encounter magical and mysterious creatures and situations that help the students become the best students she's ever had.
Sweet book! Great for kids newly confident in their reading skills.
My review here:
I support Indipendent Bookstores. You can, too:
Tj Shay
You just have to love a book about a teacher who helps kids find what they really need and who thinks they have the best class ever!! Love this book from Bonny Becker!!
A fun book, reminiscent of Mrs. Pigglewiggle. Kids start thinking about some of their more annoying traits after a visit to the supply closet.
Danielle Fisher
My 7 year old daughter devoured this book. Didn't want to sleep, wanted to read it first thing in the morning. She absolutely loved it!
Got to love a good teacher! Fun story. I would even want to be in this classroom! :0)
My daughter would probably give this a 4, but it was just okay. Still had a great time reading it to her though.
Easy chapter book (J fiction, could almost be J/E). Ms. Plum is a teacher with magical powers (or is it her supply closet that has the magical powers?) - each time she sends a 3rd grade student in to fetch supplies, the child comes out with an animal perfectly suited to help the child - whether they need help gaining confidence, humility, or something else. A pleasant, humorous read with gentle lessons about getting along. Ms. Plum is kind of like Ms. Frizzle, but with a more subdued demeanor, a ...more
A modern Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle!
Karen Arendt
I love Ms. Plum's supply closet. Each student who enters it to get supplies that the teacher has asked for comes out with an animal that fulfills some need in the student. When a student enters the supply closet without permission, an animal comes out that mirrors the student's personality. Full of character building with being didactic. Students will love finding what the next animal is that will come out. Perfect for 2nd an 3rd grade and as a read a loud.
Claudia  Fett
Good read-aloud for a third grade teacher. This special teacher has an interesting closet in her classroom. When Ms. Plum sends a child into the closet to retrieve something, an animal comes out with the child. Each animal is different and poses a unique situation involving the child who just came from the closet. The children in Ms. Plum's class change and grow during the time spent in the presence of Ms. Plum and her menagerie.
Liz Fambrough
I love this book! Ms. Plum is a teacher and within her classroom she has a magic closet. You never know what is going to come out of the closet but you better believe it is something that help you overcome whatever behavior trait you have that you would like to overcome. Whether that may be lying, shyness, maybe a bit critical...there is a creature just waiting to help you out. Oh how I wish I had the key to Ms. Plum's closet!! =)
A cute little story about a teacher with a magical supply closet. No plot really, just a collection of chapters about various students and the magical animal surprises they each discover individually throughout the school year when they get sent to the closet for supplies by Ms. Plum. I liked that each student's magical animal helped make that student a better person by building character. Reminded me of Wayside School.
I read this in one sitting and really liked the Magical teacher and what is in her supply closet. She has the best class in the school and no one seems to be able to tell future students why. But she reaches each child and it is really a fun read for middle grade and elementary students. It was a Junior Library Guild selection and an author I wanted to get to know before a conference.
Rachel Yingling
This is a fun book to read. The students in Ms. Plum's class get a learning experience that they never expected. They learn things about themselves and it happens because of the special supply closet that Ms. Plum has in her room. She asks students to get her things from the closet sometimes and every time they do it turns into a great adventure for the students.
If you are in 3rd grade @ Springtime Elementary and have Ms Plum for a teacher Wow! She has a magical closet that seems to have just the thing each student needs. Or is it that Ms. Plum is a magical person. If you ask her former students what it is about the class, their lips twist, mouths pucker, and they are never able to say much about it. A fun read.
For some fantasy/adventure fun try the Magical Ms. Plum by Bonnie Becker. The supply closet in this 3rd grade class holds a magical creature for each one of her students.

For the fantasy lover, try The Magical Mrs. Plum in which every one of her third grade students receives a visit from a magical creature living in her supply closet.
have you read this book? lets talk about it! 1 1 Mar 24, 2013 12:19PM
  • Sophie Simon Solves Them All
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Dory and the Real True Friend
  • The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken: The Next Misadventure (Chicken Squad Adventure, #2)
  • Snake and Lizard
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • The Small Adventure of Popeye and Elvis
  • Some Good News (Cobble Street Cousins #4)
  • The Night Fairy
  • The Problem with the Puddles
  • Melonhead
  • The Adventures of a South Pole Pig: A novel of snow and courage
  • Penelope Crumb
  • Spelling Trouble (The Misadventures of Salem Hyde, #1)
  • Highway Robbery
  • The Last Newspaper Boy in America
  • Heroes of the Dustbin (Janitors, #5)
  • Dear Max
Bonny Becker is the author of a number of award-winning picture books and middle-grade novels. She lives in Seattle.
More about Bonny Becker...