By Blood We Live

By Blood We Live (Otherworld Stories #7.2 -Twilight)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  594 ratings  ·  59 reviews
From Dracula to Buffy the Vampire Slayer; from Castlevania to Tru Blood, the romance between popular culture and vampires hearkens back to humanity's darkest, deepest fears, flowing through our very blood, fears of death, and life, and insatiable hunger. And yet, there is an attraction, undeniable, to the vampire archetype, whether the pale European count, impeccably dress...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Night Shade Books (first published 2009)

'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerDark Lover by J.R. WardInterview With The Vampire by Anne RiceThe Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Best Adult Vampire Books
326th out of 1,123 books — 6,471 voters
Nine Stories by J.D. SalingerThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeA Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'ConnorDubliners by James JoyceThe Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
Collections of Short Stories
392nd out of 1,595 books — 1,238 voters

More lists with this book...

Miriam
I picked this up after realizing that Gaiman's Snow, Glass, Apples was not a book but a quite short story (why do some short stories get independent listings and others not?). That turned out to be a quite dark re-envisioning of Snow White. It was good but not superb; given the length too much space was given to unimportant details.

My very favorite story in the collection was Garth Nix's "Infestation," a very original and science-fictiony explanation of vampirism.

There were a couple stories th...more
Cynthia Armistead
This thing is an enormous tome! I don't know if it has been released in hardback or not, but if it has, that version has to be anchor-worthy. I requested it from the library because Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette had stories in it, and I'll read pretty much anything either of those worthies publish. I didn't expect to care for most of the rest, and didn't plan to do much more than flip through them.

As it happens, I read most of the other stories, and there were many surprises. I did skip some...more
Oria
I could say I have been hungry for short stories but I didn’t know it until I saw the fat book sitting there on the shelf, as if waiting for me. The cover promised rich short stories by writers like Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Joe Hill, Tad Williams, Anne Rice and many more, just perfect for sinking my teeth into on my commute to and from work.

I must confess that I have a soft spot for horror stories, and vampire tales fit into that category nicely. Taking the book from the shelf and leafing thr...more
Wayne
Newer anthology of short vampire stories. Some of the stories are outstanding, some are so-so. Worth reading for the Neil Gaiman Snow White retelling Snow, Glass, Apple. The Harry Turtledove Under St. Peter's is a great what if? Steven King's short is a finely crafted Salem's Lot update. Those along with oft-reprinted Anne Rice short and the Brian Lumley's are among the best and well worth the read.
James
I picked this book because it contains one of the very few works by Sergei Lukyanenko that have been translated into English. Lukyanenko's story, "Foxtrot at High Noon," was short but excellent.

Other highlights of this collection include "Snow, Glass, Apples" by Neil Gaiman (although trigger warning, for just about any trigger you can imagine...); "Child of an Ancient City," by Tad Williams; "Endless Night," by Barbara Roden; "Infestation," by Garth Nix; "The Vechi Barbat," by Nancy Kilpatrick;...more
Alex Telander
Vampires and zombies continue to be incredibly popular, and after editing a collection of zombie stories in Living Dead, John Joseph Adams now turns to the tale of the vampire in By Blood We Live. Featuring stories from Stephen King to Neil Gaiman to Kelley Armstrong to Jane Yolen; after reading this book you’ll either be sick of the blood-sucking fiends or be stocking up on garlic and crosses.

The collection kicks off with Neil Gaiman’s twisted tale of Snow White moving on to the only short stor...more
Megan
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to rate this. On the one hand, I can look at it objectively and see that it contains a lot of quality vampire stories, with a wide variety of takes on what makes a vampire, and what makes a human. On the other hand, I just could not focus on any of the stories, to the point where they sort of all blended together in some strange vampiric world. Except for the ones I'd read previously, like Neil Gaiman's and Stephen King's. Those I reread just to enjoy them...more
Deborah
88 • Endless Night • (2008) • shortstory by Barbara Roden
106 • Infestation • (2008) • novelette by Garth Nix
120 • Life Is t...more
Jevron McCrory
Typical of most anthologies, some stories are are to die for, others are so weak I am amazed they made it in. Thus, the beauty of collections such as these, you don't like the current story, fear not, another is on the way shortly.

I cannot forgive the total RIP OFF of 'The Lost Boys' style font and design for the cover though! Unforgivable! It's not a homage, it's theft and it's sickening.

Bah, for what it's worth, this was money well spent and I intend on reading the whole thing again.
Jolene
This book was "FANG"TASTIC from my point of view!!!! I totally LOVE Vampire Stories!!!!! This book is a really AWESOME book with some short vampire stories by some very talented authors. You get to encounter such talented authors like: Anne Rice, Neil Gaiman, Kelley Armstrong, Stephen King, and many many more....

For example ( & this is just a couple): I love how Anne Rice takes you back in time with "THE MASTER OF RAMPLING GATE", & she tells the tale of how the young vampire came about....more
Kristi
Not the strongest collection by JJA....but there were definitely stories I liked and had not read before. Others were just ok, and some I had read elsewhere. There is a "further reading" index which will be helpful to look into other material for the authors I enjoyed. There's a particularly twisted story early on in the Vatican that was the high point for me so it was hard for the rest to live up to that one. I also liked the story of Van Helsing's sons (Abraham's Boys). And he ends with a clas...more
Darcy
I was very disappointed with this book. Usually when you get anthologies like this they are hit or miss. You may or may not read all the authors, some are better than others at short stories. But my biggest beef with this one is that all the authors that I wanted to check out had their stories published in others books. Yes, it was stated that they were, but here I was picking up what I thought was going to be a good filled with some fun shorts by my favorite authors only to find out I already r...more
Katie
One of the best collections for vampire stories I have ever read, though I feel the selection was rather hit and miss. I can say there is a rather large spectrum of lores and ideas about vampires and how they are to be. Many of the stories I felt were to short and did not allow for a lot of connection with the stories and their characters. While the ones that did really allowed for connection. For those that just enjoy a light read of short stories this is a good book but if you want more in dep...more
CJ Ruby
Great Harry Turtledove short story in this.
Kate McDougall Sackler
Great anthology! Only recognized two stories, only disliked two stories (not the same two). Fun read!
Heather Perkins
Mar 09, 2010 Heather Perkins is currently reading it
Still going through a lot of the short stories so right now all I can say is there are a ton of stories and they are all wildly different. I picked it up because of some of the names on the cover, Eric van Lustbader, Anne Rice, Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, and Garth Nix, and because I have a love of vampires. I'm loving most of them, but have found I'm not a big fan of the stories that are different takes on, or continuation of characters from Dracula.
Jacqie
I'll read anthologies if I know I can't get sucked into a book. With short stories, it's easy to read 20 pages and then go do what you've gotta do. I started reading this one in September and just finished it in early November, so I walked away from it quite a bit. There are lots of older vampire stories in the book, and some were enjoyable, but I'd say it was an average read that didn't make me want to try the next short story right away.
Elisabeth
Probably the best anthology I've ever read. I'm usually disappointed in so many of the stories, but I enjoyed every one of these. The editor, John Joseph Adams, is a young man who graduated from the University of Central Florida in 2000, with a degree in English. I'm impressed! I'd read another of his anthologies, "Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse", a year or so ago. As I recall, that one was pretty good too.
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
I found myself skipping through a lot of these stories. They just did not grab my attention the way that most short stories do. Of course I'm leaving out the stories that I have already read by Neil gaiman and Kelley Armstrong since I have enjoyed these in other collections. The Joe Hill story was worth ready as was the Barbara Hambly, and Kristine Kathryn Rusch. These were original and enjoyable :)
Karl Krekeler
I read the first 6 stories, and they're all great! I hope to buy the book sometime so that I can read the stories at my leisure. The only downside of the anthology is that, since all the stories involve vampires, they lose a lot of the suspense of what the bad thing is lurking in the darkness... But, there are still some surprising twists on classic stories and a lot of fun stories.
Travis Cherry
Some interesting mythology can be found in this compilation of short stories and has a little something for everyone. I have never been the biggest fan of vampires in general and have found myself setting it aside in a bid to find other more entertaining material. It's a great collection for those who enjoy the genre. I will never imagine Snow White the same again. *shiver*
Rachel
I'm a fan of John Joseph Adams anthologies, but I found this one rather average. Maybe I'm just not that into vampires. This anthology starts off with an excellent Neil Gaiman story but then proceeds to an only decent Ann Rice story. There are some interesting takes on the vampire mythos in this collection but not enough for me to give it more than 3 stars.
Molly
The free Baen edition only had about half of the stories that I saw in the dead tree version, but those that I did read intrigued me enough to buy the full version the next time I'm in a bookstore. Definitely not the typical vampire stories, in fact, almost the complete opposite of what's being offered out there post-Twilight, which made them extremely refreshing!
Natalie
Jan 20, 2012 Natalie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
John Joseph Adams has put together another great collection of short stories. This time the theme is vampires. My favorites from this collection were Neil Gaiman's Snow, Glass, Apples; Harry Turtledove's Under St. Peter's; Kelley Armstrong's Twilight; and Stephen King's One for the Road.
Jenn
With the exception of the contributions from Neil Gaiman, Anne Rice and Stephen King all of the stories were ones that I had not yet had a chance to read. Harry Turtledove's "Under St. Peter's" is by far my favorite, though those who are very focused on their religious background may not like it.
Kate
An anthology of vampire stories. Overall, a good anthology. Worth reading for the Garth Nix short story, if nothing else.

A short warning, though, as the introductions to the stories tend to give away rather a lot. I would recommend against reading the introductions if you don't like spoilers.
Christina
This is a bizarre compilation. Some of the stories are good and others just plain disgusting. I liked most of the stories by familiar authors but the rest I didn't care for all that much. It's likely there's something in here for everyone...but only a few out of the many stories in here.
Kelly Wagner
Eh. This collection had a lot of stories I just didn't care for. Some authors I like but these stories aren't their best work; some authors I've never heard of and don't care if I ever see again. The last story is a Steven King one that refers to 'Salem's Lot.
Rachel
I really enjoyed this book. Every story had a different knid of vampire. Not all of the stories were my cup of tea, but most of them were quite interesting. The last one in the book is from Stephen King, and is linked to his Salems Lot book. It was just as creepy!
Jocelyn Hood
As good as some of the short stories were, there were just as many mediocre ones. For this reason, this was an incredibly slow read for a compilation of short stories. It is unfortunate because I was very excited when I found it in my local library.
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.2)
  • A Fantasy Medley
  • Tails of Wonder and Imagination
  • Dying for It: Tales of Sex and Death
  • Hellbound Hearts
  • Vampires in Love
John Joseph Adams—called “the reigning king of the anthology world” by Barnes & Noble.com—is the bestselling editor of many anthologies, such as UNDER THE MOONS OF MARS: NEW ADVENTURES ON BARSOOM, ARMORED, LIGHTSPEED: YEAR ONE, BRAVE NEW WORLDS, WASTELANDS, THE LIVING DEAD, THE LIVING DEAD 2, BY BLOOD WE LIVE, FEDERATIONS, THE IMPROBABLE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES, and THE WAY OF THE WIZARD...more
More about John Joseph Adams...
The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes The Living Dead (The Living Dead, #1) Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse The Living Dead, Volume 2 (The Living Dead, #2) Epic: Legends of Fantasy

“Hey presto: time travel. You don't need a time machine, it turns out, you just need a friend to laugh like a teenager. Chronology shivers.” 6 likes