Start by marking “By Blood We Live” as Want to Read:
By Blood We Live

By Blood We Live (Otherworld Stories #7.2 -Twilight)

From Dracula to Buffy the Vampire Slayer; from Castlevania to Tru Blood, the romance between popular culture and vampires hearkens back to humanity's darkest, deepest fears, flowing through our very blood, fears of death, and life, and insatiable hunger. And yet, there is an attraction, undeniable, to the vampire archetype, whether the pale European count, impeccably dress ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Night Shade Books (first published July 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about By Blood We Live, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Blood We Live

Miriam
I picked this up after realizing that Gaiman's Snow, Glass, Apples was not a book but a quite short story (why do some short stories get independent listings and others not?). That turned out to be a quite dark re-envisioning of Snow White. It was good but not superb; given the length too much space was given to unimportant details.

My very favorite story in the collection was Garth Nix's "Infestation," a very original and science-fictiony explanation of vampirism.

There were a couple stories th
Cyn Armistead
Aug 03, 2009 Cyn Armistead rated it really liked it
This thing is an enormous tome! I don't know if it has been released in hardback or not, but if it has, that version has to be anchor-worthy. I requested it from the library because Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette had stories in it, and I'll read pretty much anything either of those worthies publish. I didn't expect to care for most of the rest, and didn't plan to do much more than flip through them.

As it happens, I read most of the other stories, and there were many surprises. I did skip some
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
I'm not going to lie, I really really want to read this because the cover references my all-time FAVORITE vampire movie.
Oria
Aug 13, 2011 Oria rated it really liked it
I could say I have been hungry for short stories but I didn’t know it until I saw the fat book sitting there on the shelf, as if waiting for me. The cover promised rich short stories by writers like Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Joe Hill, Tad Williams, Anne Rice and many more, just perfect for sinking my teeth into on my commute to and from work.

I must confess that I have a soft spot for horror stories, and vampire tales fit into that category nicely. Taking the book from the shelf and leafing thr
Shadowdenizen
Sep 23, 2016 Shadowdenizen rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology
3.5 stars, rounded up to 4.
A decent collection, with a better than expected author list.

But very few of these stories actually really GRABBED me and made me say "Wow"....
Alex Telander
Dec 02, 2009 Alex Telander rated it liked it
Vampires and zombies continue to be incredibly popular, and after editing a collection of zombie stories in Living Dead, John Joseph Adams now turns to the tale of the vampire in By Blood We Live. Featuring stories from Stephen King to Neil Gaiman to Kelley Armstrong to Jane Yolen; after reading this book you’ll either be sick of the blood-sucking fiends or be stocking up on garlic and crosses.

The collection kicks off with Neil Gaiman’s twisted tale of Snow White moving on to the only short stor
Wayne
Apr 25, 2010 Wayne rated it really liked it
Newer anthology of short vampire stories. Some of the stories are outstanding, some are so-so. Worth reading for the Neil Gaiman Snow White retelling Snow, Glass, Apple. The Harry Turtledove Under St. Peter's is a great what if? Steven King's short is a finely crafted Salem's Lot update. Those along with oft-reprinted Anne Rice short and the Brian Lumley's are among the best and well worth the read.
Deborah
106 • Infestation • (2008) • novelette by Garth Nix
120 • Life Is t
Jessica Darling
Aug 24, 2015 Jessica Darling rated it really liked it
Finally! I would like someone to pet me in a congratulatory manner, only to acknowledge the feat of me finishing this book. That is not to say that I did not enjoy this huge brick of words (I gave it 4 stars dammit!), but the last couple of stories did start to feel like a bit of a drag. All in all though, this was a great read – very Octobery too, if I do say so myself!

Compiled and edited by John Joseph Adams, this anthology of vampire stories is filled to the brim with some very well known and
James
I picked this book because it contains one of the very few works by Sergei Lukyanenko that have been translated into English. Lukyanenko's story, "Foxtrot at High Noon," was short but excellent.

Other highlights of this collection include "Snow, Glass, Apples" by Neil Gaiman (although trigger warning, for just about any trigger you can imagine...); "Child of an Ancient City," by Tad Williams; "Endless Night," by Barbara Roden; "Infestation," by Garth Nix; "The Vechi Barbat," by Nancy Kilpatrick;
Megan
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to rate this. On the one hand, I can look at it objectively and see that it contains a lot of quality vampire stories, with a wide variety of takes on what makes a vampire, and what makes a human. On the other hand, I just could not focus on any of the stories, to the point where they sort of all blended together in some strange vampiric world. Except for the ones I'd read previously, like Neil Gaiman's and Stephen King's. Those I reread just to enjoy them ...more
Jevron McCrory
Jun 21, 2010 Jevron McCrory rated it really liked it
Typical of most anthologies, some stories are are to die for, others are so weak I am amazed they made it in. Thus, the beauty of collections such as these, you don't like the current story, fear not, another is on the way shortly.

I cannot forgive the total RIP OFF of 'The Lost Boys' style font and design for the cover though! Unforgivable! It's not a homage, it's theft and it's sickening.

Bah, for what it's worth, this was money well spent and I intend on reading the whole thing again.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Twilight - 2 stars

Cassandra POV about her annual kill. No me gusta. And I typically do like Cassandra . . . this was just a bit too morbid for me.
John J Questore
Mar 16, 2015 John J Questore rated it it was ok
You’re browsing for something to read and see the following on the cover: Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Joe Hill, Anne Rice, Brian Lumley, Harry Turtledove – all writing about Vampires; who WOULDN’T buy this anthology, right? Sounds like this would be an amazing anthology to read. And for $1.99, it seems like a steal – which it was. $1.99 stolen from me! No offense to John Joseph Adams (the editor), but this had to be the worst collection of stories I have ever had the displeasure to choke down. Ok ...more
Mandi Patterson
Mar 09, 2017 Mandi Patterson rated it it was amazing
awesome anthology!
Kristen
Mar 06, 2017 Kristen rated it did not like it
I won't start this review with a synopsis, since that is available under the book description.

Not my kind of story I guess. I found it to be to short to make a connection with the characters. Maybe I will read the series one day, and re-rate this short story.
Elin Nilsson
Jun 15, 2015 Elin Nilsson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, favorites, 2015, gaiman
By Blood We Live is a short story anthology of vampire stories by various writers. The only reason I bought this anthology was because it said Neil Gaiman on the cover. Normally it takes a long time for me to read anthologies, but this one I finished in a week. You know when you read anthologies and there are always, always some stories that you love and some stories that you just want to end because you just don't like them? This wasn't true for this anthology. I loved every single story in thi ...more
Jolene
Oct 23, 2013 Jolene rated it it was amazing
This book was "FANG"TASTIC from my point of view!!!! I totally LOVE Vampire Stories!!!!! This book is a really AWESOME book with some short vampire stories by some very talented authors. You get to encounter such talented authors like: Anne Rice, Neil Gaiman, Kelley Armstrong, Stephen King, and many many more....

For example ( & this is just a couple): I love how Anne Rice takes you back in time with "THE MASTER OF RAMPLING GATE", & she tells the tale of how the young vampire came about.
Darcy
Jul 11, 2010 Darcy rated it it was ok
I was very disappointed with this book. Usually when you get anthologies like this they are hit or miss. You may or may not read all the authors, some are better than others at short stories. But my biggest beef with this one is that all the authors that I wanted to check out had their stories published in others books. Yes, it was stated that they were, but here I was picking up what I thought was going to be a good filled with some fun shorts by my favorite authors only to find out I already r ...more
Kristi
Apr 21, 2013 Kristi rated it liked it
Not the strongest collection by JJA....but there were definitely stories I liked and had not read before. Others were just ok, and some I had read elsewhere. There is a "further reading" index which will be helpful to look into other material for the authors I enjoyed. There's a particularly twisted story early on in the Vatican that was the high point for me so it was hard for the rest to live up to that one. I also liked the story of Van Helsing's sons (Abraham's Boys). And he ends with a clas ...more
°☆.。.:*・Arianna°☆.。.:*・
I didn't particularly like this book. It had a slow pace throughout and it was kind of boring. It was a little intriguing with this being in the vampire's perspective and showing how she was dealing with being a vampire. It was just not that interesting. In a blink the appeal is there and then it is gone. You get used to the vampire girl and are just bored with it the rest of the way through.
Heather Perkins
Jan 27, 2010 Heather Perkins is currently reading it
Still going through a lot of the short stories so right now all I can say is there are a ton of stories and they are all wildly different. I picked it up because of some of the names on the cover, Eric van Lustbader, Anne Rice, Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, and Garth Nix, and because I have a love of vampires. I'm loving most of them, but have found I'm not a big fan of the stories that are different takes on, or continuation of characters from Dracula.
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
I found myself skipping through a lot of these stories. They just did not grab my attention the way that most short stories do. Of course I'm leaving out the stories that I have already read by Neil gaiman and Kelley Armstrong since I have enjoyed these in other collections. The Joe Hill story was worth ready as was the Barbara Hambly, and Kristine Kathryn Rusch. These were original and enjoyable :)
Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount)
The authors represented in this collection are all higher caliber than what I am used to seeing in a short story collection like this, and there were very few stories in this book I didn't love. AND, I am generally not into vampires. I'll have to find other short story collections in this series, because this one was unexpectadly great. The others mentioned in the back pages look equally promising.
Seth Tucker
Oct 06, 2015 Seth Tucker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This anthology has a wide variety of vampire stories from all over the world. It features different types of vampires from different cultures and how they react to different things. Two of my favorites were the Rabbi that had to fight a vampire for the soul of a boy and one featuring Quincy Morris from a very different Dracula than told by Stoker. If you are a fan of vampires then this collection will provide you with many good yarns about the bloodsuckers.
Elisabeth
Sep 19, 2009 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Probably the best anthology I've ever read. I'm usually disappointed in so many of the stories, but I enjoyed every one of these. The editor, John Joseph Adams, is a young man who graduated from the University of Central Florida in 2000, with a degree in English. I'm impressed! I'd read another of his anthologies, "Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse", a year or so ago. As I recall, that one was pretty good too.
Jacqie
Nov 04, 2009 Jacqie rated it liked it
I'll read anthologies if I know I can't get sucked into a book. With short stories, it's easy to read 20 pages and then go do what you've gotta do. I started reading this one in September and just finished it in early November, so I walked away from it quite a bit. There are lots of older vampire stories in the book, and some were enjoyable, but I'd say it was an average read that didn't make me want to try the next short story right away.
Travis Cherry
Oct 23, 2009 Travis Cherry rated it it was ok
Some interesting mythology can be found in this compilation of short stories and has a little something for everyone. I have never been the biggest fan of vampires in general and have found myself setting it aside in a bid to find other more entertaining material. It's a great collection for those who enjoy the genre. I will never imagine Snow White the same again. *shiver*
Rachel
Jan 02, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it
I'm a fan of John Joseph Adams anthologies, but I found this one rather average. Maybe I'm just not that into vampires. This anthology starts off with an excellent Neil Gaiman story but then proceeds to an only decent Ann Rice story. There are some interesting takes on the vampire mythos in this collection but not enough for me to give it more than 3 stars.
Molly
Jan 24, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
The free Baen edition only had about half of the stories that I saw in the dead tree version, but those that I did read intrigued me enough to buy the full version the next time I'm in a bookstore. Definitely not the typical vampire stories, in fact, almost the complete opposite of what's being offered out there post-Twilight, which made them extremely refreshing!
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)
  • Tails of Wonder and Imagination
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women
  • Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
  • Dying for It: Tales of Sex and Death
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2 (Otherworld Stories, #8.1; The Chronicles of the Black Company 0.3)
  • The Urban Fantasy Anthology
  • The Bitten Word
  • Twilight Zone: 19 Original Stories on the 50th Anniversary
  • Otherworld Primer
  • The Monster's Corner: Stories Through Inhuman Eyes
  • Bewere the Night
  • Vampires in Love
  • Fast Ships, Black Sails
John Joseph Adams is the series editor of BEST AMERICAN SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY. He is also the bestselling editor of many other anthologies, such as ROBOT UPRISINGS, DEAD MAN'S HAND, BRAVE NEW WORLDS,WASTELANDS, and THE LIVING DEAD. Recent and forthcoming books include WHAT THE #@&% IS THAT?, OPERATION ARCANA, PRESS START TO PLAY, LOOSED UPON THE WORLD, and THE APOCALYPSE TRIPTYCH (cons ...more
More about John Joseph Adams...

Otherworld Stories (5 books)
  • Men of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories, #1)
  • Tales of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories, #2)
  • Otherworld Nights (Otherworld Stories, #3)
  • Otherworld Secrets (Otherworld Stories, #4)
  • Otherworld Chills (Otherworld Stories, #5)

“Hey presto: time travel. You don't need a time machine, it turns out, you just need a friend to laugh like a teenager. Chronology shivers.” 14 likes