Charley Harper ABCs: Skinny Edition

Charley Harper ABCs: Skinny Edition

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  43 reviews
A classic ABC board book featuring the colorful wildlife illustrations of Charley Harper. Young children can learn their ABC's through the delightful and graphic images of animals created by American illustrator Charley Harper. This small gem is sure to become a classic, and is a beautifully designed and educational book for Harper fans, both young and old.
Board Book, 20 pages
Published November 1st 2008 by Ammo Books (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Charley Harper ABCs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charley Harper ABCs

Liesl
Lovely geometric illustrations! The collages on the opening and closing pages in particular are striking. I wish that U, W and X represented animals like the rest of the letters since their associations interrupt the flow, but this is a minor quibble. I like how a brief biography of Harper is included at the end along with a couple of pictures.
Kelly
As you'd anticipate, the art is striking. Most of it young children "get." Some if they don't. (For example, the aesthetic of "O is for owl," "P is for pig," "T is for turtle," and "Z is for zebra" can be a big confusing, especially for the youngest children who are still working to recognize reality, let alone its abstraction.) Similarly, while the book doesn't claim to be an ABC animal book, it seems to aim for that goal, tossing in other bits of nature as needed ("N is for nest," "U is for un...more
Greg Majewski
THANK YOU for not doing something dumb with X like "X is for X-Ray." Charley Harper must not have ever drawn a Xantus's Hummingbird.

I also think P is funny. Even though "P is for Pig," the illustration is of a piggy bank overlaid on the blueprints of a house.
Esti
Charley Harper's ABCs is one of many board books to proclaim “D is for dog,” but one of few to do it so beautifully that adults will be as captivated as children. Published just after the artist's death, the book is as much a tribute to his art as an alphabet primer, with pictures that, though they still illustrate the words chosen for each letter, span a range of styles and will definitely merit second glances. The large text and vibrant colors will captivate small children, while the fine deta...more
Giraffasaurus
This was even more stunning than the color book! The endpapers are phenomenal. If you enjoy Charley Harper's work, this won't disappoint. I'll have to buy this one for sure.
Lisa
Great book to help learn animals and letters.
My only complaint is that they have animals for every letter except for letters U, W, and X.

For you Charley said "U is for Underwater","W-is for web", and "X is for How many X's can you find?"

I wish he stuck with animals and put "U- is for Urchin", "W-is for Walrus" and "X-is for X-ray fish."
So that part of the book bugs me, but the illustrations of the book are great and I would still buy the book for my family.

Heather
24 months - We already have a number of ABC books and I wasn't sure we needed another but three things sold me, the beautifully drawn graphics, the simple colored backgrounds that make the letters and words jump out and the $1 price tag at Goodwill. I'm glad I bought it. It took ten minutes to flip from the inside cover, O was fascinated by all the images. After we've read this book a few times it will be a great crib book for "quiet time" (nap time).
Katie
Ages 0-4. This nice chunky board book introduces youngsters to the ABCs—and to a famous Ohio artist! Parents, too, will revel in this stunning collection of Harper’s animal and nature prints, featuring stark color contrasts and precise lines. The association between the letter and the illustration is very clear, thanks to the simple text—“A is for Ape, B is for Bird”—and makes the book a great teaching tool.
Jessica Lowery
This book is a simple ABC board book with gorgeous animal illustrations for each letter of the alphabet by the iconic Charlie Harper. I used to have his Big Golden Book of Biology when I was a girl, but now it’s impossible to get unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars for a collector’s edition. However, small children’s books like this one allow a new generation to see his beautiful geometric nature paintings.
Rachael
This was my introduction to Charley Harper, and I stood with it in my hands, dumbfounded that I had never before heard of this man. I love his art. My one qualm about this book - which does not affect my enjoyment in the least - is that it is actually too big and thick for infants/toddlers to hold with their tiny little hands. Luckily, I am not an infant or toddler. Usually.
Ronni
On top of the classic animal illustrations and the creative/diverse choices (think crayfish, quail, vulture...), this book is a work of beautiful design. Don't forget to let your littles "read" the end papers! And even though I'm not the target audience, I can't resist noting that got a little thrill from the inclusion of an "about the author" for this board book.
Emmy
A is for ape. B is for bird. C is for crayfish. So starts this wildly creative ABC board book by the renowned Charley Harper. There are lots of colors on each page and the illustrations are completely original. The design person in me is always delighted to find children's book with a clean, but bold, aesthetic.
Janessa
The artwork in this ABC collection will inspire the naturalist in every child. Each page further opens the eye to the natural world around us. I especially love Harper's ingenuity on letter 'X', where the reader is told to count the x's made by the criss-cross of waterskippers legs skimming across the water.
Gail
Beautiful, but boring. I wonder if Charley Harper would have wanted his art to be compiled into a board book. I'm not sure the book would interest little kids (ie. A is for...., B is for....), but it has beautiful illustations for kids/adults to look at, and for that, I think it's good.
Danica Midlil
Endpages are fantastic! This book absolutely had me ready to go out and purchase it until the "P is for pig" page. LAME! And why is some of the art so very pixelated? They really couldn't find an original to copy instead? This lowered the quality for me significantly. Bummer!
jacky
A pretty good alphabet book. Each page spread has a solid colored page on the left with the letter and the word representing it, then a beautiful nature drawing on the right. I did not like the X page that didn't really have word or nature drawing, thus interrupting the pattern.
Modboy
Jul 24, 2010 Modboy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone looking for an artistic approach to the ABCs.
Charley Harper's art is very beautiful and seems to come from the perspective of a graphic designer. Although it's just the ABCs and I'm already quite familiar with the alphabet I find myself thumbing through this from time to time.
I did not think this book has good pictures to support the letters (abc's). The pictures were confusing. I probably wouldn't recommend this book to children that are just beginning to learn the Alphabet.
Janet
Stunning animal illustrations in the graphic art style in the abc concept book. Teaches abc's, animals, and art appreciation. Harper was a gifted illustrator. Will look at more of his works.
Indira
This book is gorgeous, eclectic and just lovely, like my dear friend, Amy, who sent it for Luxmi. A greattake on the ABCs with amazing artwork. C is for crayfish, of course!
Tom
Just received this in our monthly Citrus Lane package for Violet. Absolutely love the illustrations by Charley Harper. I'll have to see what else he has available.
Karen
This is the most beautiful ABC book I've ever seen. We - both parents & baby - can't get over the illustrations. Even at just under a year, Daze is totally sucked in.
SmarterLilac
Tee hee. This charming book has totally, well, charmed me. How come I've never heard of this terrific, and sadly deceased, illustrator before?
Rissie
Beautiful! This is a nice introduction to the alphabet and and art. I highly recommend this for toddlers (and the aunts who love them).
Jj
I am pretty wild about the endpapers in this book. I want them to be made into wallpaper so I can cover a whole wall with them.
K
Absolutely the most beautiful ABC book I've ever seen; one of the most visually stunning children's books I've seen period.
Rachel
I saw this on the shelf at our local bookstore and was instantly captivated by Charley Harper's art. I want to see/know more!
Heather Lander
I think that the endpapers in this book are fantastic! I want them made into clothes and paintings.
dennis
beautiful art, wonderful style. going to have to check out other works he has done
Ami
A Charley Harper "best of", in the form of a board book. Niiiiiice.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Wonder Bear
  • First 100 Words
  • Big Plans
  • Big Fat Hen
A Modernist artist. He was best known for his highly stylized wildlife prints, posters and book illustrations.

More about Charley Harper...
Charles Harper's Birds and Words Charley Harper 123s: Skinny Edition Beguiled by the Wild: The Art of Charley Harper Charley Harper: Colors Charley Harper Coloring Book