Start by marking “Charley Harper ABCs: Skinny Edition” as Want to Read:
Charley Harper ABCs: Skinny Edition

Charley Harper ABCs: Skinny Edition

A classic ABC board book featuring the colorful wildlife illustrations of Charley Harper. Young children can learn their ABC's through the delightful and graphic images of animals created by American illustrator Charley Harper. This small gem is sure to become a classic, and is a beautifully designed and educational book for Harper fans, both young and old.
Board Book, 20 pages
Published November 1st 2008 by Ammo Books (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Charley Harper ABCs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charley Harper ABCs

Liesl
Lovely geometric illustrations! The collages on the opening and closing pages in particular are striking. I wish that U, W and X represented animals like the rest of the letters since their associations interrupt the flow, but this is a minor quibble. I like how a brief biography of Harper is included at the end along with a couple of pictures.
Laura Harrison
Mar 09, 2015 Laura Harrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gotta love anything with Charley Harper illustrations.
Hend Alalwani
Personal reaction;
I really like this book because children can learn from it three things which are different colors, alphabet, and different kinds of animals and letters.

Purpose/use in the classroom,
Read aloud for children whose age between one to six years old. Children at those first years can learn different types of colors and animals like ape, monkey, zebra orange, blue, and red.

Children in first grade can read it by themselves, and they can learn new words with the alphabet.

Teachers and
Kelly
Dec 18, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
As you'd anticipate, the art is striking. Most of it young children "get." Some if they don't. (For example, the aesthetic of "O is for owl," "P is for pig," "T is for turtle," and "Z is for zebra" can be a big confusing, especially for the youngest children who are still working to recognize reality, let alone its abstraction.) Similarly, while the book doesn't claim to be an ABC animal book, it seems to aim for that goal, tossing in other bits of nature as needed ("N is for nest," "U is for un ...more
Esti
Sep 26, 2011 Esti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charley Harper's ABCs is one of many board books to proclaim “D is for dog,” but one of few to do it so beautifully that adults will be as captivated as children. Published just after the artist's death, the book is as much a tribute to his art as an alphabet primer, with pictures that, though they still illustrate the words chosen for each letter, span a range of styles and will definitely merit second glances. The large text and vibrant colors will captivate small children, while the fine deta ...more
Lisa
Jun 20, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to help learn animals and letters.
My only complaint is that they have animals for every letter except for letters U, W, and X.

For you Charley said "U is for Underwater","W-is for web", and "X is for How many X's can you find?"

I wish he stuck with animals and put "U- is for Urchin", "W-is for Walrus" and "X-is for X-ray fish."
So that part of the book bugs me, but the illustrations of the book are great and I would still buy the book for my family.

Jessica Lowery
Jun 28, 2013 Jessica Lowery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
This book is a simple ABC board book with gorgeous animal illustrations for each letter of the alphabet by the iconic Charlie Harper. I used to have his Big Golden Book of Biology when I was a girl, but now it’s impossible to get unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars for a collector’s edition. However, small children’s books like this one allow a new generation to see his beautiful geometric nature paintings.
Katie
Ages 0-4. This nice chunky board book introduces youngsters to the ABCs—and to a famous Ohio artist! Parents, too, will revel in this stunning collection of Harper’s animal and nature prints, featuring stark color contrasts and precise lines. The association between the letter and the illustration is very clear, thanks to the simple text—“A is for Ape, B is for Bird”—and makes the book a great teaching tool.
Heather
May 31, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, alphabet, board-books
24 months - We already have a number of ABC books and I wasn't sure we needed another but three things sold me, the beautifully drawn graphics, the simple colored backgrounds that make the letters and words jump out and the $1 price tag at Goodwill. I'm glad I bought it. It took ten minutes to flip from the inside cover, O was fascinated by all the images. After we've read this book a few times it will be a great crib book for "quiet time" (nap time).
Amy Adams
Nov 21, 2014 Amy Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
ABCs by Charley Harper is a straightforward ABC book in the "A is for Ape..." format. Each double page spread features one letter and associated word on the left side and one of Charley Harper's animal pictures on the right side. It's colorful, graphic, and appealing. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a book with great animal pictures or someone who wanted an alphabet book.
Janessa
Sep 25, 2008 Janessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The artwork in this ABC collection will inspire the naturalist in every child. Each page further opens the eye to the natural world around us. I especially love Harper's ingenuity on letter 'X', where the reader is told to count the x's made by the criss-cross of waterskippers legs skimming across the water.
Rachael
Jun 26, 2008 Rachael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books, favorites
This was my introduction to Charley Harper, and I stood with it in my hands, dumbfounded that I had never before heard of this man. I love his art. My one qualm about this book - which does not affect my enjoyment in the least - is that it is actually too big and thick for infants/toddlers to hold with their tiny little hands. Luckily, I am not an infant or toddler. Usually.
Emmy
Apr 15, 2009 Emmy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A is for ape. B is for bird. C is for crayfish. So starts this wildly creative ABC board book by the renowned Charley Harper. There are lots of colors on each page and the illustrations are completely original. The design person in me is always delighted to find children's book with a clean, but bold, aesthetic.
Ronni
Jan 23, 2014 Ronni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: athena
On top of the classic animal illustrations and the creative/diverse choices (think crayfish, quail, vulture...), this book is a work of beautiful design. Don't forget to let your littles "read" the end papers! And even though I'm not the target audience, I can't resist noting that got a little thrill from the inclusion of an "about the author" for this board book.
Greg Majewski
Feb 07, 2014 Greg Majewski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: walter
THANK YOU for not doing something dumb with X like "X is for X-Ray." Charley Harper must not have ever drawn a Xantus's Hummingbird.

I also think P is funny. Even though "P is for Pig," the illustration is of a piggy bank overlaid on the blueprints of a house.
Wendy
Since I enjoy Charley Harper's art I enjoyed this book. It seemed a bit obvious that the pictures were not made specifically for this children's book but instead were just compiled from Harper's art. Made for pleasant and different reading/viewing with the little one.
jacky
A pretty good alphabet book. Each page spread has a solid colored page on the left with the letter and the word representing it, then a beautiful nature drawing on the right. I did not like the X page that didn't really have word or nature drawing, thus interrupting the pattern.
Modboy
Jul 24, 2010 Modboy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone looking for an artistic approach to the ABCs.
Charley Harper's art is very beautiful and seems to come from the perspective of a graphic designer. Although it's just the ABCs and I'm already quite familiar with the alphabet I find myself thumbing through this from time to time.
Danica Midlil
Oct 02, 2011 Danica Midlil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Endpages are fantastic! This book absolutely had me ready to go out and purchase it until the "P is for pig" page. LAME! And why is some of the art so very pixelated? They really couldn't find an original to copy instead? This lowered the quality for me significantly. Bummer!
Oct 03, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not think this book has good pictures to support the letters (abc's). The pictures were confusing. I probably wouldn't recommend this book to children that are just beginning to learn the Alphabet.
Gail
Beautiful, but boring. I wonder if Charley Harper would have wanted his art to be compiled into a board book. I'm not sure the book would interest little kids (ie. A is for...., B is for....), but it has beautiful illustations for kids/adults to look at, and for that, I think it's good.
Samantha Penrose
Jun 18, 2008 Magda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
M IS FOR MONKEY
Jj
Feb 12, 2014 Jj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am pretty wild about the endpapers in this book. I want them to be made into wallpaper so I can cover a whole wall with them.
Micah Stav
Jul 26, 2011 Micah Stav rated it liked it
Grandma and Grandpa gave me this book.
Susan Klemetti
May 01, 2013 Susan Klemetti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
One of the best ABC books, very artsy
Mamafeelgood
Beautiful artwork.
K
Dec 31, 2008 K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely the most beautiful ABC book I've ever seen; one of the most visually stunning children's books I've seen period.
Melissa
Huge Charley Harper fan, so I loved this. El seemed to like the images, too.
Heather
Cute ABC book with nice illustrations. I loved the jellyfish.
  • Bruno Munari's Abc
  • Pantone: Colors
  • The Hidden Alphabet
  • Roadwork
  • ABC3D
  • That's Not My Monkey...
  • The Tree House
  • 8: An Animal Alphabet
  • Eric Carle's ABC
  • Paul Thurlby's Alphabet
  • The Little Yellow Leaf
  • I Spy: An Alphabet in Art
A Modernist artist. He was best known for his highly stylized wildlife prints, posters and book illustrations.

More about Charley Harper...