Start by marking “The Ashes of Worlds (The Saga of Seven Suns, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Ashes of Worlds (The Saga of Seven Suns, #7)

The Ashes of Worlds (The Saga of Seven Suns #7)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  2,141 ratings  ·  88 reviews
Galactic empires clash, elemental beings devastate whole planetary systems, and the factions of humanity are pitted against each other. Heroes rise and enemies make their last stands in the climax of an epic tale seven years in the making.

Acclaim for The Saga of Seven Suns

"Anderson weaves action, romance, and science with a rousing plot reflecting the classic SF of Clarke
Mass Market Paperback, 720 pages
Published May 1st 2009 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about The Ashes of Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ashes of Worlds

D.w.
When reading a series if the Thank Goodness its over becomes the predominant thought, then it is clear something has been wrong with the series. That this series suffers from so many things and that the author handled it so poorly makes this a never again. Ever.

That others feel the same way shows that these opinions are not wrong. As always. Time scale. Sometimes you can from one spot to another in a few hours, traveling in space. Then later it takes weeks.

Further, that pregnancy that lasted fo
Dave Johnson
Joe Kendall
I so wanted to like this series. It had such a great concept and such a great start. And through out the whole series Anderson would capture those fantastic moments for a short while. But sadly they really were short moments. When he reveals that four of the alien species are in the book are just elementals, I was very disappointed for the cop-out. But I did my best to give him the benefit of the doubt and kept reading. But then the plot holes started to get overwhelming. Then the dialog started ...more
Weenie
I was a little disappointed with this last book, since the series start was so promising. This just became a little predicatable, I stopped caring for the characters in the end and couldn't wait for the end. Shame.
Tgut
A decent space opera, but could've been much better if it wasn't so long & the characters weren't so one dimensional.
Andy Klein
There are some spoilers so beware.

I found the entire Seven Suns Saga to be highly enjoyable fare. Mr. Anderson did a great job of creating a galaxy of different life forms - from the humanoid - Aldirins and Compys - to elementals - trees, fire, water, and gaseous - to insectoids and their mechanical progeny. The series wrapped up quite nicely although a tad bit abruptly. I do have a few criticisms, however.

The first I'll call my Gilligan's Island criticism. Time and time again I wondered why Bas
Razorbak91313
This is an interesting series but does take a little work to read. Also, I judge a book on how it is to reread and I found myself skipping many pages and sections due to it being a little too tediuos.
Jane
Finally finished! Enjoyed aspects, but got a little sick of the continued introduction of newer, bigger, more formidable enemies. Got a little silly rather than epic.
Allan
Finally, after seven books, its all over. Unfortunately, for me, this was the weakest in the series and the winding up of the story was somewhat predictable. I took a four year break between books five and six and now I remember why - it just got a bit tedious as more dangerous threats were added into the mix every time.

In essence what I'm saying is that it was just too long a tale. It was still a great story with interesting characters, cultures and aliens but one that could easily have been ti
Aramis
Why do I feel like I have to finish a series if I start it? This one was not worth it.
Rhenda Strub
This was so awful I couldn't stop listening to it.
Adam Wilson
This unsatisfying end to the series barely managed to squeeze a grudging 3 stars out of me. The series held my attention effortlessly for the first three novels but after that my attention seemed to be like a balloon with a puncture and by this book, I was nearly out of it. This series lost so much in the middle and is one of the few times where I will say that some massive cuts should have been taken out of the final four manuscripts. This should have been, at the very most, a five-book series. ...more
Luke
As a huge fan of Mr Anderson's work, i must say I thorougly enjoyed this series from start to finish. As i was reading them as they were published, I had about a years wait in between books.

I'd have them pre-ordered six months in advance and read them the second the showed up in the mail.

I must disagree with the majority of the reviewers here and say that I didn't find the story drawn out in the slightest. I though it was well paced, each chapter being a convenient lenght that you could read q
David
This is the 7th and final volume of the Saga of Seven Suns. I've you read the series up to book 6, you might as well finish it. This is a fast paced, epic conclusion to the series and in my opinion is one of the better books in the Saga.

The pros: fast action almost from the start, you get right to the meat of the conflict. The conclusion is suitably epic and satisfying. The series as a whole presents an interesting variety of social groups- Humans: the Hansa, the Roamers, the Therons, Ildirans,
Blarg
This is the 7th and final book in the Saga of the Seven Suns.

If you've read the first six books, you might as well read the seventh book. It wasn't a bad book per se, and there were plenty of compelling plotlines, but you should come with low expectations as it was highly predictable and stereotypical for the characters/clans that the authors created.

The Roamers remain scrappy and inventive, and are ready to face every challenge. The Chairman remains a power hungry jerk who continues to be one
Don Viecelli
From My Newsletter Number 28:

The first review is on the seventh and last book in Kevin J. Anderson’s Saga of Seven Suns called The Ashes Of Worlds. The story continues where book six left off with several worlds in flames and battles raging between the Rusa’h led Faeros against Mage-Imperator Jora’h Ildirans with help from the Roamers, Wentals and Verdani. The various forces are aligned against one another and some enemies like Sirix and his black Klikiss robots have joined with the Earth Hansa
Jim
This is the 7th and final book of the Saga of the Seven Suns. What a fantastic ride! Seven very long books, each hard to put down, with a multitude of story lines occurring at the time all over the galaxy.

Each book is written similarly...each chapter continues the story from the point of view of a particular character...and believe me, there are lots of them. If you forget, there is glossary of characters in the back of each book. And if don't read them one right after the other, there is summar
Peter
It's over. After a long seven book slog I am very happy to see the Saga of Seven Suns come to a close. The main thoughts I have about this is not how much I enjoyed the ride, or how I loved how the story came to a close. It's my relief that I don't have to pick up the next book. I know what you're thinking. If I didn't like the series then why didn't I simply stop reading after the first book, or after I stopped enjoying the series? Good question.

As a whole, there are probably more things I disl
Sebastien
Mar 15, 2012 Sebastien rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fan de la série seven suns
Shelves: science-fiction
Enfin nous y voilà, la grande finale est enfin arrivé. Du moins "enfin" ce n'est pas l'opinion de tous, mais à mon avis, après 7 livres, l'histoire devait se terminer. Sur ce point je n'ai aucune critique, ce livre termine et termine bien, il ne laisse presque rien de non résolu.

La seule chose qui me chicotte c'est le rythme que prend l'histoire dans ce livre. Dans les autre livres il y avait plein de bout long et smooth qui nous faisait prendre notre souffle ou par bout pouvaient même nous fair
Devon
The Saga of the Seven Suns Book Seven: The Ashes of Worlds
This science fiction space opera/ epic are one of the most exciting books of our time. The large cache of characters is woven into an intricate web of events and twists that will leave most readers flabbergasted. This story is the perfect balance of action, science, and romance. You will never get bored reading a book from the saga.
“The Ashes of Worlds,” the seventh and last book in “The Saga of the Seven Suns,” takes place over the spa
Paul
Last of a seven-book series, this is space opera on a grand scale. Galactic empires clash, and elemental beings wipe out entire star systems.

The Klikiss are an insectoid, hive-mind race who were thought to have been extinct for the past several thousand years. Well, they're not extinct, and they want their old colony planets back. The Klikiss are the sort of beings who don't take No for an answer. They are also in the middle of a major "civil war" to see which hive, or breedex, will dominate. Wi
Heather Koehler
The Ashes of Worlds is the conclusion to the Saga of Seven Suns.

I admit, when I began the book, I was skeptical that all the myriad plot threads could be wrapped up in 650 pages. I was right to worry, and yet I wasn’t. The plotting in the seventh novel was lacking the depth and intensity of the previous books. Some of the finales felt contrived. Mostly, though, the conclusions were satisfying, if predictable. I think it would have been impossible to pull an ending out of left field with a saga
Edward
Nov 07, 2008 Edward rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: get the series done
Shelves: sf

Better than the 6th book.

I agree with whoever compared The Chairman to the Dr. Smith character in "Lost in Space." So obnoxious, and I keep asking myself "Why don't they just lose/kill/restrain him?" and I think "Why am I still wasting my time on this?" But I know "Lost in Space" has the Robot and "The Saga of the 7 Suns" has the awesome aliens so I keep at it even though I feel like an idiot.

The ending of the book began well, pulling all the diverse plot lines together and making good sense of
Vincent Wood
It is finished. While my three star rating fits for this book, it also fits for the series as a whole. It was a good series, but not great. It had its moments of fun and excitement and it also had its tedious and boring moments as well. This final book wrapped up all the remaining loose strings to give the series closure. Although in my opinion, the series should have been over at the end of book five with many of the various plot lines not even implemented or given a much smaller role in the ov ...more
Nor'dzin Pamo
All in all the Saga of the Seven Suns was a good read. It lost its way a little in the middle in terms of pace a interest, but all the pieces were nicely pulled together (like thism!) at the end which was satisfying. I wished I had not read some of the reviews on Amazon before buying the final few books as they created some sense of dissatisfaction which was not wholly warranted. For example the Ildiran civil war is not an unnecessary deviation from the main story, it is a crucial part of the pl ...more
Brian Kelly
Book 7 of a fairly interesting sci-fi series about life living in very different places from earth.
John Shumway
** Save review for the series:
This was a fun series to read. The semi long winded way of writing reminds me of the Dune prequels and conclusions he helped write. Not that I'm really complaining it’s just a lot to get through.
The story is big but the character list is bigger, and you get plenty of detail. I was able to read the entire series with only 1 or 2 forced distraction books to get a break from the story. Which for me means it’s pretty good if I don't get too sick of it after 7 books.
If
Rizzorat
So its Done.

I read the Saga straight from the First to the last book. Over 3 Months it took and....it was great.

The Story in its content is epic. Brilliant Character development and a story worth reading. I especially liked the short chapters (most of the saga was read in the train on my daily run to university) so i could read the saga in small pieces.

Everyone who likes SciFi will enjoy this series and even if not. I dont think the Saga if the 7 Suns couldnt be read by anyone. Space ist just t
Matthew Hester
Seven books in this series and not one of them able to rate higher than two stars.
I liked the story enough to slosh my way through them all, but it was hard going at times.

Anderson had some neat ideas, but like all his writing prior, I was infuriated by his execution.
His writing always comes off as being a little too -- light.
I'm not looking for grand prose or anything, but it almost seemed like he took his audience for children and tailored the writing that way.
Michael
A nicely wrapped up ending to what has been a thoroughly engrossing series. I'm somewhat sorry to see the Saga end but I felt that it ended well. Nearly all the plot threads were tied up neat as you please here at the end. Once again, the characters really drive this story home and make it feel real. I've enjoyed the entire Saga - even when it seemed like the good guys couldn't catch a break - and I look for forward to Anderson's next endeavor. Well done!
  • The Orphaned Worlds (Humanity's Fire, #2)
  • Crossing the Line (Wess'har Wars, #2)
  • Polystom: Two Universes in One Reality
  • The Machine Crusade (Legends of Dune, #2)
  • The Temporal Void (Void, #2)
  • Expendable (Expendables, #1)
  • Coyote Horizon (Coyote Chronicles, #1)
  • Hilldiggers (Polity, #2)
  • Singularity (Star Carrier, #3)
  • Dirge (Founding of the Commonwealth, #2)
  • Victorious (The Lost Fleet, #6)
Pseudonyms: Gabriel Mesta, K.J. Anderson

He has written spin-off novels for Star Wars, StarCraft, Titan A.E., and The X-Files, and is the co-author of the Dune prequels. His original works include the Saga of Seven Suns series and the Nebula Award-nominated Assemblers of Infinity. He has also written several comic books including the Dark Horse Star Wars collection Tales of the Jedi written in coll
More about Kevin J. Anderson...
Jedi Search (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #1) Dark Apprentice (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #2) Champions of the Force (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #3) Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5) Darksaber (Star Wars)