The Beast Master (Hosteen Storm, # 1)

The Beast Master (Beast Master / Hosteen Storm #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,320 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Hosteen Storm, a man with the ability to command all animals, takes seeks asylum on the planet Arzor after his own has been destroyed. His mission : to seek out the man who killed his father.
Paperback
Published by Tor Science Fiction (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Beast Master, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beast Master

David
Andre Norton is a name that has been around in Science Fiction for many years. For some reason I have never picked up a copy of one of Norton's books, but when I saw this title at a recent library sale, I picked it up. I was pleasantly surprised.

First I was shocked that this novel was so completely different from the movie title by the same name that was obviously a rip off of this concept, if not a license that strayed far from the actual story. This was NOT a fantasy world, but really a hard-c...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Before I start this review I know something I'm going to say will offend some. Please read what I said and not what you "think" I said. Okay?

Andre Norton was a good writer and a lot of her work is what I think of as "youth" reads or (in it's day) "teen reads". I ran across her when I was in Jr high school. I realize "Jr high school is a term that isn't used anymore but it referred to 7th and 8th grades.

This book tells a pretty good story opens just after an interstellar war has ended in which h...more
Lyndon J Nobles
I was originally drawn to this book by the title. The Beast Master movie was one of my favorite movie as a child and I was eager to find out what kind of book inspired such a unique movie. However, the title is where the similarities end. The film makers apparently took the title, the concept of a man using animals as his personal army, and ran in a totally opposite direction that what Andre Norton went.

This book has almost nothing to do with the movie. Where the movie was a sword and sorcery r...more
Juushika
After war destroys Earth, a survivor and ex-combatant with the unique ability to lead a team of animals travels to the settler planet of Arzor to exact personal revenge. I read The Beast Master as a precursor to the companion animal trope; Norton's concept of select men with intimate, near-psychic bonds with animals would later inspire authors like Lackey and McCaffrey towards Valdemar and Pern, and as a forerunner The Beast Master is existent, intriguing, and unsatisfying. The human/animal bond...more
Valerie
I'm not sure this is the edition I have. My edition has a picture of a T rex, which is evidently meant for a yoris. Norton usually had more control over the cover art.

If all you've encountered are the movies or the tv show, you should know that they apparently paid Norton for the title, and then ignored everything else. This is a subtle, nuanced story of a young man who's lost all but his team, and rejects all offers of a new life, choosing instead to pursue his grandfather's revenge fantasies--...more
Theresa
the beginning of the story explaining the role of beast master in a post war universe, a good book to read, especially when going to the grand canyon area, because of the main characters heritage... Has great detail and two great stories.

how he was connecting to the world of his future a good story about finding home is not what you thought, or feared, and that love does not always have to come from those who are like you.

xiks are beaten and back, the war is over so they thought. now a new myste...more
Fantasy Literature

I first found Andre Norton on the shelves of my elementary school library in fourth grade. I have no idea which of her novels was the first one I read. I just know whichever one it was, it was far from the last. One after the other, bound only by whatever limit our library put on me, I read all I could find on the shelves. And then I read them again. And then again. By the time I left that school in sixth grade, if you picked up one of her books and looked at the sign-out card (yes kids...more
Marla Shin
The only book of hers ever made into a movie, but they changed EVERYTHING but the title and the fact there were animals. She even had her name taken off the movie, and never again sold movie rights. If you've seen the movie, forget it. The protagonist in this book is a space-traveling Native American, rather thoughtful and cerebral. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Anne Hamilton
As a kid, this was my favourite book. I borrowed it and re-borrowed it and re-re-borrowed it from the town library.

Then one day a new librarian came to town. She took one look at the title and one look at me and said sternly, 'You shouldn't be taking out books like this. It's for adults.'

'No, it isn't,' I told her. 'I've read it at least a dozen times. I'll show you exactly where it comes from in the children's section.' My plea was to no avail. I asked her to check the catalogue. She did but m...more
Jeffrey
classic Norton science fiction with Hosteen Storm, an American Indian veteran of Terran special forces, where he used his special talents of telepathy to communicate with animals to infiltrate enemy installations, emigrates to Arzor after a galactic war with the Xik ends with the destruction of Terra (Earth).

On Arzor, Storm is on the hunt again. First against Quade, a rancher that Storm's grandfather was against. Storm however discovers a kinship with the alien Norbies who live on Arzor and begi...more
Susan
I was reminded of this book this evening, and how much I enjoyed it. It has no relation to the 80s movie of the same name, not even the animals are the same. The movie should be avoided, but the book is a gem.
Brian Layman
What an EXCELLENT BOOK! The person who took this novel and turned it into a movie should be drawn and quartered. This is science fiction space travel story of the intersect of cultures, in the aftermath of an Earth shattering war (literally) compared to the movie which was about the palest, thinnest, white-bread barbarian you've ever seen set in a sword and sorcery age. The movie was not about a Navajo descendant veteran leaving behind a devastated Earth to travel on a personal mission to anothe...more
Amy!
Aug 20, 2014 Amy! rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy! by: Gina & Jim
Really enjoyable. It's a pretty quick read, and once the action gets started, it really sucked me in.
S.A. Bolich
I loved this book from the time I first read it in high school. The pathos of the plot, with a character attempting to adjust to the loss of his entire planet, made me stop and appreciate even more how much I love the one I stand on. As always, Andre Norton handles the tale of the outsider finding acceptance very very well. This is her most common theme, and somehow she makes it work every single time.

I for one cannot believe what a hash Hollywood made of the movie supposedly based on this book....more
Paul
This is one of my favorite books by Andre Norton. it is the far future, there was an interglatic war, we won but the enemy distroyed earth. one on the survivores is a Beast master, a commando that lead a team of animals by training and telpathic mind touch,
Hosteen Storm, a Navaho his team, Surra a dune cat mutated to the size of a puma, Baku the african Black eagle and Ho and Hing, meercats, diggers and saboteurs. The war is over but Storm hunts a man he belives resonsible for his fathers death...more
Paige
This is one of those books I search for in every used books store I wander into. EVERY used books store. I picked up the copy I have 20+ years ago in a teen "ohah" moment after having seen the cult classic movie version. Wasn't I surprised that the movie was only loosely based on the book...like almost only the title. And what a book! Wonderful. A human story on SO many levels. NOTHING like the movie or the TV series that was on a few years ago. I highly recommend the original to anyone who come...more
Murphy
This has been one of my all time favorite books. The combination of space and Indian culture is fascinating. The mental bonds between men and animals also holds a certain appeal. Andre Norton was my first "read everything you can find by her" authors. I was sad when she died. Now I find books by her that I didn't know about. ( I love Amazon.) I'm now reading the 3 last Beast Master books ahe wrote with a helper. A giant BOO HISS to the movie and TV versions. No relation to the books AT ALL! Do n...more
Unicorn-san
I thought it time for me to have this story read. My what poetic license was used that went into the movie... only the idea of a guy being best buds with his 4 animal friends. So, the real story is sci-fi, not fantasy. I had enjoyed it all the same, and I plan to read more of the series.

BTW, I do have an old copy of the book.
Mandy
This book was fairly well-constructed right up to the cheesy ending. Some things were very predictable, however. I read this one to see whether I'd be interested in reading any more of the Andre Norton stuff I have on my shelf, and I don't think I will. The more book jackets I read, the less interested I have.
Lynne
Someone recommended this author to me. I had never tried any of her books and my friend suggested this series. I enjoyed it. Fairly easy to get into the book. Hosteen Storm can telepathically communicate with his team of animals. I enjoyed the book and I like the main character and his animals.
Fredrick Danysh
Navaho Holsteen Storm is a commando with a team of specially trained animals. When Earth id destroyed by nuclear attacks, he heads for the planet Alzor to kill a man that he never met. On the planet, humans and aliens live under an uneasy peace. Storm is caught in the middle and must adapt.
Keith
I don't see the book I read in the 1960's. A well written original story about Hosteen Storm (Beast Master)an ex Navaho soldier. His planet has been destroyed and he seeking the man who killed his father. He has with him some genetically enhanced animals. He has a telepathic bond with them.
Joanne
Excellent science fiction novel in which people of great empathy with genetically modified animals were bonded into surveillance teams for an interstellar military and also used for exploration and assessments of newly discovered planets being considered for colonization.
Lore
One of my first Norton books. I started reading her books when I was ten years old. She is still my favorite, all time author. I miss her a lot. This is one of her books that is on my read-once-a-year list.
One of my favourites from teenage years. I still reread it every few years, it reads like an old friend. I loved the Indian (Native American) take on the space age and the seething conflict of emotion.
Nigel
The first Andre Norton I've read and it was a real page-turner. I found it to be inventive, well-written and thought-provoking sci-fi, playing out events in an off-world, post-earth setting. Recommended.
Murray Writtle
All the bits just fit together so satisfyingly. This is Cowboys and Indians all mixed up with Rudyard Kipling. It is positive even in a fading post apocalyptic future.
Penny Dreadful
Not her best but well worth the reading of... Much better than the craptastic movie named the same, do not get them confused.
Howard Curzer
Cowboys, indians, animals, and aliens in the old space-opera style. Norton makes it work.
  • The Prince (Falkenberg's Legion, #1-4)
  • Conqueror (Raj Whitehall, #3-5)
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
  • Beginning Operations: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #1-3)
  • Out of Time's Abyss (Caspak, #3)
  • Voyager in Night (Age of Exploration, #2)
  • Ragamuffin (Xenowealth, #2)
  • Fury
  • Treaty at Doona (Doona, #3)
  • Midnight Revelations (Werelove #2)
  • Sunborn (The Chaos Chronicles, #4)
  • Between Planets
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • DearS, Vol. 1
  • Tom Swift and His Flying Lab  (Tom Swift Jr, #1)
  • Sentenced to Prism (Humanx Commonwealth, #12)
  • The Seedling Stars
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male"...more
More about Andre Norton...
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)

“To the spectator the ex-Commando might be standing impassively, the meerkats clinging to him, his hand resting lightly on Surra’s round skull, the eagle quiet on his shoulder. But an awareness, which was unuttered, unheard speech, linked him with animals and bird. The breadth of that communication could not be assessed outside a 'team,' but it forged them into a harmonious whole, which was a weapon if need be, a companionship always.” 0 likes