Start by marking “Home for a Bunny (a Big Little Golden Book)” as Want to Read:
Home for a Bunny (a Big Little Golden Book)

Home for a Bunny (a Big Little Golden Book)

4.23  ·  Rating Details ·  2,086 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Generations of children have followed this furry, lovable bunny on his journey to find a home. Margaret Wise Brown’s simple yet playful tale is beautifully complemented by Garth Williams’s exquisite artwork.

From the Hardcover Library Binding edition.
Hardcover, Big Little Golden Book, 32 pages
Published February 11th 2003 by Golden Books (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Home for a Bunny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home for a Bunny

Apr 17, 2009 Caleb rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those curious about where bunnies live
Recommended to Caleb by: I think the Easter Bunny gave it to me originally...
Shelves: picture-books
I read this several thousand times growing up, and just re-read it as an adult for the first time. It's considerably less suspensful than I remembered it being. (Spoiler: The best place for a rabbit to live isn't a bird's nest or a frog's bog but in a rabbit hole).

A warren? Is that what you call rabbit den/holes? This book doesn't say. The art is by Garth Williams, who wrote and drew the anti-living-in-sin book "The Rabbit's Wedding," which I did not realize until just this weekend.

Becky B
Sep 30, 2012 Becky B rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this story and the illustrations as a young child. To this day I think I can still recite almost the entire book.
Apr 06, 2015 Russell rated it it was ok
MWB typically knocks it out of the park when bunnies are involved. Just thinking about The Runaway Bunny gets me misty-eyed. But this rabbit romp reaches and falls flat. (view spoiler)
May 03, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book as a child. My mother read it to me about 1,000 Times. My father read it to me about 2,000 times. I had it memorized. My son's loved it too. With a celebration of spring, a wonderful story mixed with beautiful illustrations by Garth Williams, this book is a must-have for all young children.
Margaret Chind
Apr 23, 2014 Margaret Chind rated it really liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press Junior Kindergarten
Very cute. Picture and story from my childhood now I'm able to share with my girls in a lovely large golden book format. Perfect for spring all season long and a good add on bunny theme around Easter.
Jul 17, 2009 Adrienne rated it it was amazing
Fond memories of my mother reading this to me. I thought the ending was so beautiful. Also, my mom would always say "Home for a bunny" when we were done with our errands.
Shala Howell
Sep 17, 2009 Shala Howell rated it really liked it
Sweet little story. Pleasant to read over (and over and over ...)
Megan B
Jun 14, 2012 Megan B rated it it was amazing
Great book AND perfect for emerging readers
Jobiska (Cindy)
Jul 26, 2011 Jobiska (Cindy) rated it it was amazing
Margaret Wise Brown words + Garth Williams illustrations = Love
Jaime Contreras
Oct 18, 2016 Jaime Contreras rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is the first book I read to my eldest back in 1986. It was Christmas and I enjoyed spending time reading the tale of a bunny looking for a new home. My daughter loved the bunny drawings. I also got hooked on Ms. brown's books. I have read many throughout the years. I hope to read them to my grandchildren.
Emily Garrison
Sep 23, 2016 Emily Garrison rated it it was amazing
This Little Golden Book has been in our home for as long as I can remember. It originally cost $.89 and was copyrighted in 1961. As a bunny hops along in the countryside, he encounters many other animals; a robin and her babies in the tree, a frog in the bog, a groundhog in a log but could not figure out where the perfect home for a bunny might be. Finally, he runs into another bunny and figures out the perfect home for a bunny. A darling little story with beautiful pictures!
Robert Beveridge
Margaret Wise Brown, Home for a Bunny (Golden Press, 1956)

Margaret Wise Brown is, of course, best-known for Goodnight Moon. It's a classic for a reason, even if it does break its rhythm in one very conspicuous place (“and a young mouse” is missing two syllables). If you're familiar with Brown past that, it's probably because of The Runaway Bunny, and I have often wondered how popular that book would still be were pictures of it not cleverly introduced in Goodnight Moon. But Brown wrote a large n
Sep 11, 2016 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A family favorite from Margaret Wise Brown. Eye pleasing illustrations and poetic narrative carry this story along and entrance toddlers and preschoolers alike. Lyrical language makes it a fun read for both the young and old.
Dec 21, 2015 Jay rated it it was amazing
My review of Mr. Dog earned a "caution - spoilers" red flag.

So, let's forget the plot of this "bunny" book, such as it is, and hop right to the reasons -- two, of them -- you should buy it and read it aloud to your child,your children, your sweetheart, or anyone else you care about, yourself included.

1) Margaret Wise Brown wrote it.

2) Garth Williams illustrated it.

Margaret Wise Brown had a "thing" for rabbits, and no one illustrates them cuter, cuddlier and more appealingly (from a child's pe
Anne Hennessey
Nov 15, 2015 Anne Hennessey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Home for a bunny is a wonderful tale about a little bunny looking for a house to make his home. This picture book is repetitive, so even a child of two after a view readings will be able to start repeating the story line or by looking at the pictures.
I used this book in preschool with a Neighborhood theme. We discussed that there are a variety of houses but the one you choose becomes your home.
I love love this picture book!
May 25, 2013 Robin rated it liked it
Have I read this book before today? Possibly since this is a Golden Book in an oversize format. This is such a wonderful story about a rabbit looking for a home. And the illustrations by Garth Williams are captivating. Although I tend to use a lot of newer books, this is an old favorite that I will offer during a storytime this summer, I think!
A bunny comes down the road in the Spring and is looking for a home. He is looking under a rock, under a stone, or under the ground. Robin and frog and even the groundhog helps bunny to find a home. I would use this picture book for grades k - 2. I would read to my students as a read aloud and talk about the different animals that are presented in the story.
Aug 21, 2010 Modboy rated it liked it
Simply put bunny is looking for his home. He asks the other animals where they live, always places unsuitable for a bunny. That is until he meets another bunny.

Williams' art is pleasant and MW Brown's story is sweet but I could not get into the rhythm of the text. The rhymes don't always match up and they're often missing when you expect one although children probably won't mind.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read during Preschool Class Visit on 5/9/12:

Read at Preschool Story Time on 4/12/13:

Read at Preschool Story Time on 8/22/13:
You just can't go wrong with a Margaret Wise Brown book. Garth Williams illustrations make it even better.

The excitement built as Pippa anticipated the results of a bunny asking various animals if he could join them in their homes, in the hope of finding his very own. I think Pippa was disappointed when he finally did...
Mar 19, 2009 Peggy rated it it was amazing
We read this one often. It's sweet and simple. Bunny looks for a home and asks the other animals around where their homes are. Eventually he lives in a hole under a rock with another bunny friend. The artwork is the best part, at the end of the book, the bunnies' home looks so cozy you want to crawl in with them.
T Crockett
Apr 02, 2016 T Crockett rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are great. I love the face on the baby robins and that skunk cabbage (a sign of spring here in New England) is part of the landscape.

The woodland critters that the bunny meets aren't especially nice or interesting. It's one of those super repetitive books for little ones. I'd say the target age is around 2 yrs old.
Feb 21, 2015 Schmobes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good level 2 book. Lots of repitition of words. But a cute story, and the illustrations by Garth Williams are fabulous. I like having Kiddo read what he considers "real" books, books I would read to Kutey--it gives him confidence.
May 04, 2016 Jane rated it it was amazing
Home for a Bunny is a beautiful children's book about a little bunny looking for a home. The illustrations are soft, colorful and delightful for children to picture the story as it is read to them.
Sarah Johnson
Apr 22, 2009 Sarah Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I was surprised by how much the toddlers really liked this book when I read it to them in story time this week. Warning... the second or third page talks about how a bunny can't live under water because it will drown. Not that big of a deal, but some people care about that kind of stuff.
Jun 22, 2008 Beth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
This has been my favorite book since I was a child. Both my grandmother read it to me constantly, and it was one of the first books I read by myself (The Foot Book by Dr. Seuss was the first). The story is so sweet and cute.
Apr 07, 2010 Shyla rated it it was amazing
Truly the first book I ever remember. I still own my childhood copy, the cover has been halway ripped off and the pages are dog eared but I will never part from it. I lvoe the end when Bunny finally finds a home of his own.
Jeffiner Singleton
Aug 26, 2011 Jeffiner Singleton rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Such a cute and cozy book. I LOVE the pictures (Garth Williams is one of my all time fav illustrators) and the simple text. Me and my son have a special rhythmic way of reading this that makes it almost like a song with a chorus that repeats here and there.
Ashley Fortson
Sep 18, 2011 Ashley Fortson rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is more for younger age children. The bunny in the story goes around to all kinds of animals and ask if the place they live is his home. Finally at the end of the book the bunny finds a perfect home for himself.
Andd Becker
Oct 08, 2012 Andd Becker rated it it was amazing
The pictures by Garth Williams are outstanding. Spring creatures include robins, a frog, a groundhog, and two bunnies.
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • The Bunny Book, Richard Scarry's (a Little Golden Book)
  • Baby Animals (A Little Golden Book)
  • The Fuzzy Duckling (a Little Golden Book)
  • My First Counting Book
  • Doctor Dan: The Bandage Man
  • Prayers for Children
  • The Happy Man and His Dump Truck
  • The Shy Little Kitten
  • I Can Fly
  • Santa's Toy Shop (a Big Little Golden Book)
  • Tootle (a Little Golden Book)
  • Richard Scarry's Best Mother Goose Ever
  • Pete the Sheep-Sheep
  • The Poky Little Puppy's First Christmas
  • On the Moon
  • We Like Kindergarten
  • Wombat Divine
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...