Start by marking “Home for a Bunny (a Big Little Golden Book)” as Want to Read:
Home for a Bunny (a Big Little Golden Book)

Home for a Bunny (Little Golden Book)

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,961 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Generations of children have followed this furry, lovable bunny on his journey to find a home. Margaret Wise Brown’s simple yet playful tale is beautifully complemented by Garth Williams’s exquisite artwork.

From the Hardcover Library Binding edition.
Hardcover, Big Little Golden Book, 32 pages
Published February 11th 2003 by Golden Books (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Home for a Bunny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home for a Bunny

Caleb
Apr 17, 2009 Caleb rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those curious about where bunnies live
Recommended to Caleb by: I think the Easter Bunny gave it to me originally...
Shelves: picture-books
I read this several thousand times growing up, and just re-read it as an adult for the first time. It's considerably less suspensful than I remembered it being. (Spoiler: The best place for a rabbit to live isn't a bird's nest or a frog's bog but in a rabbit hole).

A warren? Is that what you call rabbit den/holes? This book doesn't say. The art is by Garth Williams, who wrote and drew the anti-living-in-sin book "The Rabbit's Wedding," which I did not realize until just this weekend.

Becky B
Sep 30, 2012 Becky B rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this story and the illustrations as a young child. To this day I think I can still recite almost the entire book.
Russell
Apr 06, 2015 Russell rated it it was ok
MWB typically knocks it out of the park when bunnies are involved. Just thinking about The Runaway Bunny gets me misty-eyed. But this rabbit romp reaches and falls flat. (view spoiler)
Heather
May 03, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book as a child. My mother read it to me about 1,000 Times. My father read it to me about 2,000 times. I had it memorized. My son's loved it too. With a celebration of spring, a wonderful story mixed with beautiful illustrations by Garth Williams, this book is a must-have for all young children.
Margaret
Apr 23, 2014 Margaret rated it really liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press Junior Kindergarten
Very cute. Picture and story from my childhood now I'm able to share with my girls in a lovely large golden book format. Perfect for spring all season long and a good add on bunny theme around Easter.
Adrienne
Jul 17, 2009 Adrienne rated it it was amazing
Fond memories of my mother reading this to me. I thought the ending was so beautiful. Also, my mom would always say "Home for a bunny" when we were done with our errands.
Jobiska (Cindy)
Jul 26, 2011 Jobiska (Cindy) rated it it was amazing
Margaret Wise Brown words + Garth Williams illustrations = Love
Shala Howell
Sep 17, 2009 Shala Howell rated it really liked it
Sweet little story. Pleasant to read over (and over and over ...)
Megan B
Jun 14, 2012 Megan B rated it it was amazing
Great book AND perfect for emerging readers
Robert Beveridge
Margaret Wise Brown, Home for a Bunny (Golden Press, 1956)

Margaret Wise Brown is, of course, best-known for Goodnight Moon. It's a classic for a reason, even if it does break its rhythm in one very conspicuous place (“and a young mouse” is missing two syllables). If you're familiar with Brown past that, it's probably because of The Runaway Bunny, and I have often wondered how popular that book would still be were pictures of it not cleverly introduced in Goodnight Moon. But Brown wrote a large n
Anne Hennessey
Nov 15, 2015 Anne Hennessey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Home for a bunny is a wonderful tale about a little bunny looking for a house to make his home. This picture book is repetitive, so even a child of two after a view readings will be able to start repeating the story line or by looking at the pictures.
I used this book in preschool with a Neighborhood theme. We discussed that there are a variety of houses but the one you choose becomes your home.
I love love this picture book!
Rbettermann
A bunny comes down the road in the Spring and is looking for a home. He is looking under a rock, under a stone, or under the ground. Robin and frog and even the groundhog helps bunny to find a home. I would use this picture book for grades k - 2. I would read to my students as a read aloud and talk about the different animals that are presented in the story.
Jane
May 04, 2016 Jane rated it it was amazing
Home for a Bunny is a beautiful children's book about a little bunny looking for a home. The illustrations are soft, colorful and delightful for children to picture the story as it is read to them.
Karen
Apr 22, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet, beautiful book about Spring. And bunnies. It is impossible to go wrong with a LIttle Golden Book written by Margaret Wise Brown and illustrated by Garth Williams.

Jay
Dec 21, 2015 Jay rated it it was amazing
My review of Mr. Dog earned a "caution - spoilers" red flag.

So, let's forget the plot of this "bunny" book, such as it is, and hop right to the reasons -- two, of them -- you should buy it and read it aloud to your child,your children, your sweetheart, or anyone else you care about, yourself included.

1) Margaret Wise Brown wrote it.

2) Garth Williams illustrated it.

Margaret Wise Brown had a "thing" for rabbits, and no one illustrates them cuter, cuddlier and more appealingly (from a child's pe
Jessica
Feb 24, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I ever read alone as a child. Now it is my son's favorite. We read it together at least once a week at bedtime.
Lavonne
Apr 06, 2014 Lavonne rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It doesn't get much better than Margaret Wise Brown. Kids need to hear this kind of prose. Lyrical and fun.
Nathan Grant
Mar 26, 2016 Nathan Grant rated it it was amazing
Great classic Golden Book. My daughter loves the bunny and really thinks the groundhog is funny.
Marya
May 18, 2015 Marya rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Maybe it's just nostalgia, but the Whispering Rabbit is WAY better than this generic bunny book.
Emilee
Apr 19, 2016 Emilee rated it it was amazing
We love this book. Easy to read. Beautiful pictures.
H.L. Stephens
Sep 04, 2014 H.L. Stephens rated it it was amazing
Another favorite from the Golden Books collection.
Cindy
Mar 15, 2016 Cindy rated it liked it
Such a lovely ending
Indah Threez Lestari
109 - 2016
Kim T.
Jan 17, 2014 Kim T. rated it really liked it
My kids and I really liked this book. It was simple, cute, and educational. We were able to talk about what we saw and problem solve each scenario.

I would definitely recommend this book.
Alisha
Jul 07, 2015 Alisha rated it liked it
A great childhood book.
Modboy
Aug 21, 2010 Modboy rated it liked it
Simply put bunny is looking for his home. He asks the other animals where they live, always places unsuitable for a bunny. That is until he meets another bunny.

Williams' art is pleasant and MW Brown's story is sweet but I could not get into the rhythm of the text. The rhymes don't always match up and they're often missing when you expect one although children probably won't mind.
T Crockett
Apr 02, 2016 T Crockett rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are great. I love the face on the baby robins and that skunk cabbage (a sign of spring here in New England) is part of the landscape.

The woodland critters that the bunny meets aren't especially nice or interesting. It's one of those super repetitive books for little ones. I'd say the target age is around 2 yrs old.
Robin
May 25, 2013 Robin rated it liked it
Have I read this book before today? Possibly since this is a Golden Book in an oversize format. This is such a wonderful story about a rabbit looking for a home. And the illustrations by Garth Williams are captivating. Although I tend to use a lot of newer books, this is an old favorite that I will offer during a storytime this summer, I think!
SeriouslyJerome
You just can't go wrong with a Margaret Wise Brown book. Garth Williams illustrations make it even better.

The excitement built as Pippa anticipated the results of a bunny asking various animals if he could join them in their homes, in the hope of finding his very own. I think Pippa was disappointed when he finally did...
  • The Bunny Book, Richard Scarry's (a Little Golden Book)
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • Baby Animals (A Little Golden Book)
  • I Can Fly
  • The Fuzzy Duckling (a Little Golden Book)
  • Prayers for Children
  • Doctor Dan: The Bandage Man
  • The Shy Little Kitten
  • My First Counting Book
  • Santa's Toy Shop (a Big Little Golden Book)
  • The Happy Man and His Dump Truck
  • Richard Scarry's Best Mother Goose Ever
  • Tootle (a Little Golden Book)
  • Pete the Sheep-Sheep
  • On the Moon
  • Kisses for Daddy
  • Hello My Name Is Bob
  • We Like Kindergarten
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...

Little Golden Book (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • 101 Dalmatians
  • ABC Is For Christmas (Little Golden Book)
  • Animal Daddies and My Daddy
  • Baby Dear (Little Golden Book)
  • Beach Day (a Little Golden Book)
  • Bible Stories From the Old Testament (A Little Golden Book)
  • The Big Enough Helper (a Little Golden Book)
  • The Biggest, Most Beautiful Christmas Tree