Start by marking “ART/WORK: Everything You Need to Know (and Do) As You Pursue Your Art Career” as Want to Read:
ART/WORK: Everything You Need to Know (and Do) As You Pursue Your Art Career

ART/WORK: Everything You Need to Know (and Do) As You Pursue Your Art Career

Find Out What They Didn't Teach You in Art School

The most comprehensive guide of its kind, Art/Work gives artists of every level the tools they need to make it in an art world so competitive one dealer likens it to "The Sopranos, except nobody gets killed." Whether you're an art school grad looking for a gallery, a mid-career artist managing a busy studio, or someone j
Published March 24th 2009 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about ART/WORK, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ART/WORK

Lou
Jan 12, 2012 Lou rated it liked it
Shelves: art-writing
some fairly good advice and a good resource to have on hand, some of the quotes make me feel like never making art again, just to not risk running into any of these egomaniacs who run galleries, particularly whoever the hell was writing from connor contemporary in dc. ugh.
Emily
Mar 31, 2017 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books-read
This is such a great resource for artists, even if you've been around the block, or just graduated from art school. The authors have a lot of experience dealing with both artists and the art world, which gives you an insiders look on what works and what doesn't. I really enjoyed the quotes inside that correspond with the points they are making. I think this will definitely help me with my career, and I'm glad I bought a hardcopy so I can refer back to my notes and highlighted passages.
Илья Сидоренко
Jan 22, 2016 Илья Сидоренко rated it really liked it
«А ещё у неё оранжевая обложка, которая будет потрясающе смотреться на вашей книжной полке» - написали авторы, приводя список причин, ради которых стоит приобрести эту книгу. Я бы добавил, что у нее крутое название, но не только это повлияло на желание прочесть эту книгу. Я надеялся найти полезные советы для писательской деятельности, хоть эта книга и предназначена для художников. И нашёл, пускай и немного.

Авторы

Авторы этой книги известные люди в сфере искусства, которые уже много лет помогают х
Sean
May 11, 2013 Sean rated it it was amazing
This book was incredibly useful to me. After art school I felt like I learned how to make art, but next to nothing about how to have a career as an artist. Of course, unless you wanted to teach at the University level or work at a coffee shop for the rest of your life. This book laid out some very basic things that are helpful in understanding the nuts and bolts of pursuing a career as an artist from graduation to gallery representation. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyon ...more
Kim
Oct 28, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing
As an artist who is about to graduate from grad school and was terrified of what to expect, this book definitely calms the nerves and is a MUST have for any artist - new or someone who has been at it for years. It clears up the processes, gives you good practices, and has overall incredible advice for almost any situation you'll encounter. Best of all, you learn to cover your butt in case something unfortunate happens! Invaluable!!
Cheryl
Mar 10, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was ok
Mostly skimmed through this since there were SO many quotes making it tedious to read. It is also geared for the US market with taxes and copyrights and way too much info on galleries which is not useful in this area.
Raquel
Feb 03, 2016 Raquel rated it really liked it
Quite simply a collection of essential basics for professional art practice you should have been taught at art school - but weren't. Written from a US perspective however still very relevant for artists working anywhere in Europe and internationally.
Darcy
Jun 30, 2017 Darcy rated it really liked it
Excellent resource! I give it 4 stars only because the pages of quotes (albeit decently insightful) were a bit excessive.
Arpita Choudhury
Mar 01, 2017 Arpita Choudhury rated it really liked it
A useful book if you are delving into the fine art world. Some of the guidance was obvious and they completely skipped over the importance of social media.
Ingrid
Feb 23, 2017 Ingrid rated it really liked it
Quite informative. I'm looking forward to reading the updated edition when it releases in July.
Nov 26, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
ART/WORK should be read with a pen and pad of paper handy, as well as a measure of intestinal fortitude to help you stomach the TRENDY/HIP title, whose attitude occasionally carries over to the text. By and large extremely helpful, Bhandari and Melber only really fall down in their assumption that anyone reading the text comes to it fresh off an art school education. That premise causes them to skimp on the specifics in a way that can be, to say the least, maddening. Still, it serves admirably ...more
Samantha Johnson
May 25, 2014 Samantha Johnson rated it it was amazing
This book has a great deal of current, useful information and it is written plainly, and even with a bit of humor. It is easy to understand and includes resources for more information. Anyone who wants to become a professional artist, or any professional artists who need help developing and maintaining relationships with their galleries, should read this book. It would be a good idea for gallery owners to do the same as well in order to help understand where their artists are coming from.
Kian
May 19, 2014 Kian rated it really liked it
If you're lost in the world of art business and do not have any idea how selling artworks to galleries and other institutes works then this book is for you. It tells you all the necessary steps, dos and don't and introduces you to a basic marketing tricks. I criticize it for giving too many advises from artists, curators and gallery owners. It has an easy language and you can read it quite fast.
Emily
Dec 19, 2015 Emily rated it it was ok
I must admit that the fact that I HATED the university course I had to read this for, so it may have colored my opinion of the book. But the quotes on every other page, and the layout of this book made it tedious to say the least. Slogging through that, though, there is a lot of good information for someone who wants to work as a gallery artist.
Drew Coffman
May 10, 2016 Drew Coffman rated it it was ok
An interesting concept for a book, and though certainly geared to artists trying to create a name for themselves, certain bits were applicable to all artists in general. Sadly, the book is bogged down by legal aspects, forms, and (bafflingly) a ton of quotes. It's more of a manual than it is a book, but perhaps it's a manual that many need.
Tyrannosaurus regina
A lot of useful information on both sides of the artist / gallery relationship, though large chunks of it were U.S. specific in ways that were not necessarily relevant for me. A real heavy hand with the quotes, give a wide variety of views. Essentially, there is no one right way to handle things that everyone agrees on.
Jazmin Wilkins
Jun 10, 2014 Jazmin Wilkins rated it really liked it
A great guide to working as a professional artist. Although it is geared towards the US market, it is still gives practical advice for any artist anywhere. The example documents (like contracts and budget lists) were particularly useful.
Justin
Aug 25, 2010 Justin rated it really liked it
Quite possibly the most complete current work on cultivating and navigating a career as an artist. Filled with practical information. Numerous quotes from art world insiders provide perspective, and a real feel for how the art world really works.
Carrie
An excellent resource

Whether you are an emerging artist, mid-career, or very experienced, this book is an excellent up to date tool full of template examples of various forms, useful quotations and advice for how to succeed in the art world.
Allison
Mar 15, 2012 Allison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fine-arts
Great resource material for all the paperwork and business side you'll need.
Nicole Aptekar
Nov 09, 2012 Nicole Aptekar rated it it was amazing
If you're thinking about being an artist who sells things, you should immediately buy and read this book. Straight up, now.
Jamie Town
Apr 02, 2012 Jamie Town rated it it was amazing
Very useful for people who are looking to pursue a career in the art world. A lot of the information was over my head but when I continue into a art career, I will refer back to this book.
Ann Tracy
Apr 30, 2016 Ann Tracy rated it it was ok
i didn't learn anything new from this book. i could see the blank form samples being helpful to a new artist, but frankly you can find these things with google searches.
Ystokoe
Feb 19, 2010 Ystokoe rated it really liked it
Everything they didn't teach me in (my) MFA. really good reference tool. Recommended by Michael Berube
Carol
May 29, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Great resource book. I liked the way it was broken down into specific area that must be setup or thought about when starting an art career. This is one I will use for reference in the future.
Kamarin
Kamarin rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2012
Violetdian15yahoo.Co.Id
Violetdian15yahoo.Co.Id rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2015
Timothy Winkelman-Milling
Timothy Winkelman-Milling rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2015
  • How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist: Selling Yourself Without Selling Your Soul
  • The Artist's Guide: How to Make a Living Doing What You Love
  • The Art Museum
  • 100 Artists' Manifestos: From the Futurists to the Stuckists
  • Living and Sustaining a Creative Life: Essays by 40 Working Artists
  • Draw It with Your Eyes Closed: The Art of the Art Assignment
  • The Rules of Art: Genesis and Structure of the Literary Field (Meridian-Crossing Aesthetics)
  • Vitamin Ph: New Perspectives in Photography
  • The Value of Art: Money, Power, Beauty
  • Theories and Documents of Contemporary Art: A Sourcebook of Artists' Writings
  • A Short Guide to Writing About Art (The Short Guide Series)
  • Participation