Start by marking “Honk If You Are Jesus” as Want to Read:
Honk If You Are Jesus

Honk If You Are Jesus

It is Adelaide in 1994. Infertility expert and gynaecologist Mara Fox is disillusioned with her work, her life, everything. Mara soon gets a top job that proves to have dire consequences. Other books by Goldsworthy include "Readings from Ecclesiastes", "Zooing", "Bleak Rooms" and "Maestro".
290 pages
Published (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Honk If You Are Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honk If You Are Jesus

L.M. Vincent
Jan 15, 2017 L.M. Vincent rated it really liked it
A well-crafted and well-written charmer of a book, a "proximate" ski-fi and (gentle) medical thriller, with a marvelous premise and satisfying outcome, by one of Australia's highly respected writers.
Booksy
Nov 10, 2013 Booksy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
A wonderful short novel from a short story master (his collection of short stories "Gravel" left me in a thoughtful mood for days and days after I finished reading it).
Quirky, sometimes acerbic, most of the times, good-hearted Australian humour - a mixture of science fiction (or, is it "speculative fiction" I seem to be forever confused now about this genre, after Margaret Atwood launched a debate in this topic of genres), medical thriller and a bit of love story (this bit was mostly unsatisfyi
Debra Tidball
May 25, 2015 Debra Tidball rated it really liked it
This was a quick, easy and enjoyable read - I finished it the day I bought it. The premise of this story about a church leader's involvement in genetic engineering is absorbing, and the setting is delightfully absurd - where else in Australia but the Gold Coast would you find a Biblically inspired theme park, complete with the ability to walk on water? Hilarious and perfectly apt! Whilst I found it hard to warm to most of the characters (perhaps that's the way it is in these high-end scientific ...more
Karen Hunt
Dec 13, 2012 Karen Hunt rated it liked it
Peter Goldsworthy did a Meet the Author in the Barossa (hence the rush on his books). Another thought provoking book that was quite ahead of its time when written. About an obstetrician who does research into infertility. Without realising, she has been used to be part of a plan to ‘resurrect’ Jesus using 2000 year old genes! A good read.
Vivienne
Jun 24, 2013 Vivienne rated it it was ok
I found this book mean spirited in tone and character. I didn't like any of the characters in it and though the subject matter could have been funny it was just nasty, not to mention far fetched. If it had been funny it would have felt more believable.
余馨
Aug 20, 2008 余馨 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
What could have been a fun idea in the hands of Tom Robbins, couldn't pique my interest. Having heard a bit about this author I was disappointed. Unexpected writing style. Unexpectedly not published by Mills and Boon. Not enough euphemisticly worded sex scenes for them, I suppose.
Jane
Aug 09, 2015 Jane rated it liked it
Shelves: own, read-in-2016
Entertaining, easy to read story.
It projects into 'the future' a combination of the excesses of evangelical christianity and genetic engineering.
Seems a bit dated now and the characters are a bit two dimensional but it is a fun read.
Roslyn
Jun 20, 2008 Roslyn rated it really liked it
Funny tale of genetic engineering and religion. Good for a laugh, but with some interesting ideas to ponder.
John Sheahan
Mar 29, 2014 John Sheahan rated it really liked it
This was an absolute hoot. But, I was teaching in a Catholic High School at the time and it never actually made it into the classroom. Pity.
Murray Gunn
Jul 31, 2012 Murray Gunn rated it it was ok
Shelves: drama
Well written for easy reading, but I wanted more on the conflict at the end. I felt that the last 20% of the book should have been the focus for 80% and the leading 80% could be cut down to 20%.
Sharon
Feb 11, 2014 Sharon rated it it was ok
Read this book because it was part of the year 11 english requirement for my daughter. Absolute rubbish and not quite sure how it fits with EDUQ curriculum.
Lee Mavin
Aug 30, 2013 Lee Mavin rated it it was amazing
This is up there with the top Australian narratives of all time! I loved this book so much. Such a classic.
Ian
Ian rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2009
Louise Smith
Louise Smith rated it did not like it
Apr 29, 2014
Joanne
Joanne rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2008
Asher Nowlan
Asher Nowlan rated it really liked it
May 18, 2012
Lachlan
Lachlan rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2011
Sophie
Sophie rated it did not like it
Oct 13, 2012
LotusBlade
LotusBlade rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Ian Tymms
Ian Tymms rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2014
Louise Allana
Louise Allana rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2014
Matt John
Matt John rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Lucinda Gail
Lucinda Gail rated it it was ok
Sep 02, 2014
Antonio Perio
Antonio Perio rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2017
Deborah Laurie
Deborah Laurie rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2013
Renae
Renae rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2012
David Finch-Quadrio
Jul 01, 2010 David Finch-Quadrio rated it it was ok
Reads like a bad airport novel
Zebrallama
Zebrallama rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Liz Hunt
Liz Hunt rated it did not like it
Dec 15, 2014
  • 10 Short Stories You Must Read in 2011
  • The Jesus Man
  • The Service of Clouds
  • Wake in Fright: Filmed as The Outback
  • Dreaming Again: Thirty-five New Stories Celebrating the Wild Side of Australian Fiction
  • Swords And Crowns And Rings
  • The Shiralee
  • Dark Places
  • Girls' Night In
  • They're a Weird Mob
Peter Goldsworthy grew up in various Australian country towns, finishing his schooling in Darwin. After graduating in medicine from the University of Adelaide in 1974, he worked for many years in alcohol and drug rehabiiltation. Since then, he has divided his time equally between writing and general practice. He has won major literary awards across a range of genres: poetry, short story, the novel ...more
More about Peter Goldsworthy...