Start by marking “99 Drams of Whiskey: The Accidental Hedonist's Quest for the Perfect Shot and the History of the Drink” as Want to Read:

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Kate Hopkins knew there had to be more to whiskey than using it as a mixer. She had an unquenchable thirst to learn more about “the drink” and set out on an ambitious itinerary researching its history. Combining comprehensive research with informal narrative, Hopkins entertains and educates the readers on whiskey’s place in the history of the world. She visited historians ...more
Published May 26th 2009 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 99 Drams of Whiskey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 99 Drams of Whiskey

Salt by Mark KurlanskyAt Home by Bill BrysonThe Professor and the Madman by Simon WinchesterGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared DiamondA History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage
Histories of the Everyday
47th out of 205 books — 237 voters
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerChocolat by Joanne Harris
Best Traveling Vicariously
293rd out of 1,161 books — 1,119 voters

More lists with this book...

In reality, I give this book 2.5 stars, but because my wife recommended it to me, I rounded up.

I love whiskey and I jumped at the chance to read more about it in the hope of learning more. And I did learn more, it just wasn't as much as I had hoped to in 270 pages.

Hopkins does one thing really well throughout this book: she's a natural storyteller. While she tries too hard to be funny at times, the genuineness in her stories tend to balance that out.

What she does not do well is cover history. Th
Leslie Hickman
I found this to be a complete delight. There are some reviews that really put this down, I have a feeling they might be a whiskey snob. I actually am not a fan of whiskey, yet after reading this book I might have to try it again. The descriptions of the whiskeys were playful and actually was giving me a memory that I could identify. Very delightful read that hinted a bit about history & culture but mainly a trip full of delightful memories as well as some self-discovery. A really fun read.
The book was okay. At times, I wish that an editor had been a little more harsh, if nothing else to remove the incorrect homonyms, sentences that were obviously rewrites of the ones following them (which hadn't been removed), and things like that. The factual/historical sections often repeated information from earlier in the book, and made causal claims that had me wincing. My main problem with the book, however, was simply the writing style. The author is a blogger - a well-known one, from what ...more
Katy Wight
Part travelogue, part history book, part shopping list.

A thoroughly enjoyable account of a journey through the distilleries of Ireland, Scotland, the US and Canada with alternating chapters on the political and social history of the drink. Scattered throughout are useful reviews and tasting notes that will ensure this book has a permanent home on my reference shelf.
Kate is a very funny writer, and has done her research on whiskey. If you enjoy the drink, you'll enjoy this book. Fun descriptions of various distilleries around the world coupled with a very interesting history. Her descriptions of the whiskeys she tastes on her journeys are classic. A fun, quick read.
A really nice intro into the whiskey world. A mix of travel writing, tasting notes and history.

Some of the travel anecdotes are a little boring, but the research and pontificating on whiskey culture are interesting.

This book may lead to an expensive whiskey habit.
Caitlin Jellybean
99 Drams of Whiskey was so fun! I feel like I learned a lot about this most loved beverage and was inspired to pick some up myself to try it on its own, rather than in a whiskey sour as usual. It was a tad slow at times, but Hopkins was a charming narrator so it wasn't too bad.
Jun 23, 2009 Jyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fun
I really enjoyed this book. Unlike other books on history, this isn't a dry read. History is laced with a girl field trip spanning several countries drinking whiskey.

A very fun read and you learn a lot about the making and types of whiskey.
Darcie Kileen
If you are an amateur whiskey drinker (raises hand), this is a good place to start. A little history + travelogue of whiskey land + descriptions of whiskey = good introduction to a drink that I want to have right now.
Light but education travel-log/whiskey tasting journal following the history of whiskey across Great Britain, Ireland, Scotland and North America. If nothing else, I'm inspired to replicate the itinerary!
the perfect vacation book! So we go to Ireland, Sctoland, Canada and the U.S. in search of the perfect dram! A Fun book, lots of good info. The only problem? She didn't go to Islay!
While she may have consumed 99 drams, we didn't hear about more than maybe 15 of them.

Going back and forth between historical writing, third person writing and first person writing was annoying. I understand she was trying to explain history and relate her personal travels with her friend but there was no rational breakup between the three, you could experience all three styles in the same chapter multiple times.

That being said I did take three whiskey recommendations from book. Don't expect it
What a wonderful book. Not only is it a great idea for a vacation, to visit whiskey distilleries, but it is a great history of the whiskey making and distributing.
Skot Nelson
Not so much a Whiskey book as a book about tours of Whiskey facilities. The title is incredibly misleading: there are nowhere close to 99 drams in this book, and that's a mercy because you can get to the end more quickly as a result.

The writing here is the problem: it seems like Hopkins couldn't decide whether to write a travelogue, a memoir or a history of whiskey. She instead decides to shove all three into every chapter and the result is a mess.

The trip to Tornoto she describes is a particula
Feb 08, 2010 Sarah added it
Absolutely loved this book. Fascinating glimpse into the world of whiskey, with enough detail to keep your attention, but not overwhelm.
Made me want to drink some Whiskey! (OK,lots of things make me want to go drink whiskey...)
Let's just say that this booked turned my passing taste for whiskey into an insatiable thirst.
Erica N
Great book to read in preparation for a trip to Ireland as well as Kentucky, Scotland...
Jan Colt
Perfect armchair travel and drinking book for a home-bound vacation.
Mike McSorley
Fun to read. Good reading on a trip to Ireland.
Better than I had predicted.
It is amazing the things you walk by in life and don't realize the history that lies behind it. That is the case with whiskey. I walk right by it in the store not realizing the long history of it. That it got it start in Ireland and then Scotland or the other way around. Its beginnings in the USA and Canada. The difference between the types of stills, single malts and blends. To color or not to color. Drink it neat or with water. The bottom line is, whatever way you like it. This is a very well ...more

Based on the subtitle I thought this book would be 2 parts travelogue and 1 part history, but in reality those proportions are reversed, much to the book’s detriment. For confirmation of my assumption, I asked my wife, who said that based on the cover and subtitle she would guess the book would be 70% travel and 30% history.

The 70% that’s about the history of whiskey is dry and not so well written. The 30% where the author describes the various distilleries she visits and the inserts breaking do
Elizabeth Hunter
It's a little surprising how much I enjoy reading about whiskey, when it is not my favorite spirit, by a long shot. Thanks to having read a couple of other books on the subject in the past year and having visited Scotland and Ireland, much of the first half of this volume was a retread for me, but worth reading because it included more of Hopkins' blogger-style humor than the back half. That second part discussed whiskey-making in the US and Canada and was new information, although presented wit ...more
The author (Kate Hopkins) and a pal (Krysta) tour the world learning about whiskey. Or, to be more accurate, they tour the major players in the whiskey world---Ireland, Scotland, Canada and the United States. This book is the result.

The book alternates between two narratives---The first is the travelogue, with anecdotes about the many distilleries they visit, the people they meet, the whiskey they drink, and so forth. The second narrative is the history of whiskey, which Hopkins does a great jo
Donald Rycroft
My father: do you want to read that book about whiskey?
Me: no, I am note really interested, - thinking it would be some sort of treatise.

Then I read the first few pages and was hooked.

Kate Hopkins is a good story teller. I like the advneture of discovery to get to the roots of whiskey. While I am not a whiskey drinker generally, I have been known to have a scotch or rye on occasion. This book was an excellent light read into the history and evolution of the drink. I liked the light tone.

The on
Nov 11, 2010 Amber rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one.
Shelves: non-fiction, food
As someone who loves food and food history books this book was such a let down. Most of the history was very very dry and reworked from other books in an unimaginative way. Furthermore, her travels were repetitive, I understand the idea behind going to several different distilleries, but she didn’t reinvent the stories of them at all and made little to no mention about other people she encountered as fans of whiskey. I love travel books and I love food history books and this one is for sure one ...more
I set this book down in frustration several times, each time eventually convincing myself I should give it another try.

In retrospect, my first instinct was right. This is an entirely worthless book. It's riddled with factual errors. And the writing is unimaginably dry, broken only by the occasional overly-forced attempt at cheap humor. But I could forgive poor writing if the book contained interesting or useful information. Sadly, this is so incredibly not the case. The author shows a complete l
Fun read with a decent amount of information about the history and making of whiskey. I liked the way the book was structured, with a short bit of fact, an anecdote from the research trip and a review of the whiskey tasted. The anecdotes are fun and the whole book has a casual, friendly feel.

However the book suffers from Kate Hopkins not really doing much on her tour of the whiskey world by doing anything but going on distillery tours. Talking to a barrel maker, or even a bartender or two would
This is a charming book on whiskey, and I think an ideal introduction to the subject matter for someone nursing a developing interest in the history and variety of the spirit. It bogs down in the middle when the focus shifts from the rich whiskey history of Ireland and Scotland to cover the impacts of prohibition on the spirit in North America. Hopkins is at her best writing her tasting notes and positive experiences, but these both become less frequent when she gets to the subject of North Amer ...more
  • Beans: A History
  • Absinthe: History in a Bottle
  • Imbibe!: From Absinthe Cocktail to Whiskey Smash, a Salute in Stories and Drinks to "Professor" Jerry Thomas, Pioneer of the American Bar
  • And a Bottle of Rum: A History of the New World in Ten Cocktails
  • Boozehound: On the Trail of the Rare, the Obscure, and the Overrated in Spirits
  • Breakfast: A History
  • Near a Thousand Tables: A History of Food
  • Never Satisfied : A Cultural History of Diets, Fantasies & Fat
  • How Carrots Won the Trojan War: Curious (but True) Stories of Common Vegetables
  • The Rituals of Dinner: The Origins, Evolution, Eccentricities and Meaning of Table Manners
  • The Devil's Cup: A History of the World According to Coffee
  • The Empire of Tea
  • The Potato: How the Humble Spud Rescued the Western World
  • Drink: A Cultural History of Alcohol
  • Scotch Whisky: A Liquid History
  • Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails: From the Alamagoozlum Cocktail to the Zombie {80 Rediscovered Recipes and the Stories behind Them}
  • Cuisine and Culture: A History of Food & People
  • Hunger: An Unnatural History

“The farmers of western Pennsylvania laid the foundation of the American whiskey industry.” 2 likes
“Whiskey is many things to many people, but at the very root of its popularity lies the story.” 0 likes