Start by marking “The Impact of God” as Want to Read:
The Impact of God

The Impact of God

St John of the Cross testifies to a God who longs to meet us in our deepest need. Whilst rejection and imprisonment played their part in the life of this sixteenth-century Spanish friar, John's poetry and prose reveal the beauty and power of a wondrous God. It gives us courage to believe in the possibility of change in our own lives, however unlikely or impossible this may ...more
Published September 21st 1995 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published September 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Impact of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Impact of God

Tania
Sep 12, 2012 Tania rated it it was amazing
This book really pressed into the idea of connecting with the heart of God. I pondered the writing for days and months and even shared thoughts out of it with several discipleship groups that I meet with. I was challenged to be more present with God in the deepest place & space of my heart/soul. St John of the Cross had an amazing story of connecting the deepest with God when he was imprisoned for years and actually felt the most abandoned. It was during this time where he discovered the pre ...more
Ona Kiser
Jan 10, 2014 Ona Kiser rated it it was amazing
A really thoughtful and tender exploration of the life and teachings of St. John of the Cross. Easy to read and short. :)

After further consideration I'd say this is a really genius book, as it is practice focused, discussing St. John of the Cross's life and work in terms of how one can understand and apply his ideas, experiences, wisdom and teachings in ones own spiritual life.
Judy Olmanson
Apr 14, 2013 Judy Olmanson rated it it was amazing
Wow! I'll re-read this many times for its lucid exposition on John of the Cross, the meanings and impact if his writings for us today. It's a should, must read for anyone seeking God.
Ann Yeong
Jan 06, 2013 Ann Yeong rated it it was amazing
An excellent guide to St. John of the Cross. Introduces the saint's spirit and writing simply yet powerfully. A soul-probing read!
Christy Baker
Apr 02, 2016 Christy Baker rated it did not like it
Shelves: religion
This was one of the books I was requested to read and write a short reflection paper on for a spiritual direction program I am in. I really wish I could say I enjoyed it, but in truth, I ended up finally skimming the book thoroughly as I was bored silly reading it. I'm a firm believer that different books speak to us as different times, but I had not, in truth held out high hopes for this one as it is a look at the life and writings of St. John of the Cross, whose original writings I had read wh ...more
Nita
Nov 22, 2010 Nita rated it it was amazing
the only way to understand the narrative of St. John of the Cross. beautifully written, a powerful understanding of suffering
Patrick Riviere
Jul 11, 2016 Patrick Riviere rated it it was amazing
Fantastic little book on John of the Cross and, incidentally, the spiritual life as a whole. Highly recommended.
Les Walters
Jan 27, 2012 Les Walters rated it it was amazing
A great guide for reading and understanding St John of the Cross
Gina
Sep 27, 2012 Gina rated it it was amazing
I love this book!
Allison de Laveaga
Apr 05, 2015 Allison de Laveaga rated it it was ok
This book is a commentary on the books of the 16th century mystic St. John of the Cross. There are some intriguing passages in this book, for instance the idea that an experience of God is always marked by faith, hope and love or that an experience of dryness does not always mean a lack of God's presence or that an experience of warmth proves his presence. However, I found this book difficult to read. It's esoteric, without many tangible examples. Also, I hadn't read St. John's works so I found ...more
Michele Devall
Jul 07, 2016 Michele Devall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clear, deep and expressive

This book is very helpful to the person seeking help for dryness in prayer. St. John of the Cross can be difficult to understand without a knowledgeable guide. Matthew proves to be a trusty companion in seeking out guidance and encouragement through John's guidance. Easy to comprehend and full of insight. Highly recommend!
Marie
May 05, 2016 Marie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone looking to deepen their inner life
Father Matthew brings this 16C saint and mystic into focus for the modern spiritual aspirant by his generous interpretations. Matthew shares John of the Cross' hardships and in the end surrender to spiritual growth in a way that makes it accessable for all. Profound and inspiring. Thank you Father Matthew!
Patricia Bossle
May 01, 2015 Patricia Bossle rated it it was amazing
The most powerful book on spirituality that I go back to over and over again.
Lyndon
Apr 14, 2013 Lyndon rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
I like to think of this work as 'the contemplative life for the non-contemplative'. Mining the poetry, biography and commentary of St. John of the Cross, Matthew calls the reader to spend a few chapters journeying with the Spanish saint into the depths of life with God. 'Ascent', 'night' and the 'canticles' reveal a unsentimental yet penetrating analysis of love, faith and hope; all of which delineate the space of God's activity in our lives, and in the world.

This was a welcomed read for Holy We
Andrew Plasom-scott
Apr 15, 2015 Andrew Plasom-scott rated it it was amazing
This is a deep and powerful book, leading one gently by the hand through the life, thinking and writing of St John of the Cross. Now that I have finished, there are only two things to be done: go back to the beginning, and buy some of St John of the Cross's own texts. Highly recommended for anyone interested in a profound and challenging spirituality.
Andy
Feb 21, 2011 Andy rated it it was amazing
The author's writing is interesting and at times has a stream of consciousness feel but he gets across some deep insights of John of the Cross. This is the kind of book you'll want to go back and re-read certain chapters and sections. Fr Matthew reveals John's "nighttime", it's healing power and how Jesus is our encounter with God. He also touches at the end on prayer and John's advice for his novices on how to find God in times of arid prayer. Good and deep stuff!
Declan Huerta
Aug 11, 2013 Declan Huerta rated it really liked it
Una introducción muy buena a la doctrina de "noche oscura" en San Juan de la Cruz. La edición española, en Monte Carmelo, lo subtitula "claves para una lectura actual de San Juan de la Cruz", lo cual se corresponde con el libro. Una vez terminado, tienes muchas ganas de acudir a los textos. Y eso en mi caso tiene mérito, porque con otra "introducción" al santo quedé muy descontento en general.
Adam
Jun 29, 2014 Adam rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
I've never read any of the writings of St. John of the cross but this book provides great insight into his thoughts and teachings. St. John of the Cross is able to explain profound truths that we know in our heart yet are unable to describe. Some parts of the book were a little deep and hard to read but overall I thought it was good book.
Jan  Kristensson
Jun 14, 2013 Jan Kristensson rated it it was amazing
It's a must for those who like to understand St John of the Cross!
A great book!
Adelle T
Adelle T marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Daniel Ciucci
Daniel Ciucci is currently reading it
Sep 22, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Amanda
Amanda is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2016
James Burand
James Burand rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2016
K E
K E rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
Mary Riviere
Mary Riviere marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Aleta M. Nichols
Aleta M. Nichols rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Regan Sweeney
Regan Sweeney marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Eleanor
Eleanor is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2016
steven borello
steven borello marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016