Start by marking “Crocheting Adventures with Hyperbolic Planes” as Want to Read:
Crocheting Adventures with Hyperbolic Planes

Crocheting Adventures with Hyperbolic Planes

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews

With more than 200 full color photographs, this non-traditional, tactile introduction to non-Euclidean geometries also covers early development of geometry and connections between geometry, art, nature, and sciences. For the crafter or would-be crafter, there are detailed instructions for how to crochet various geometric models and how to use them in explorations.

From th

Published February 23rd 2009 by AK Peters

To ask other readers questions about Crocheting Adventures with Hyperbolic Planes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crocheting Adventures with Hyperbolic Planes

notgettingenough
I personally am not able to review this book. If you want a full understanding of why, do go here:

which explains the great knitting/crochet divide. It is quite funny.

It will simply never bother me that I can’t knit hyperbolas. I’m sorry if this offends any crocheters. On second thoughts, no I’m not.

Still, this book has interest for a few reasons. One is that it won this year’s Oddest Booktitle of the Year award ahead of:

Afterthoughts of a Worm Hunter by Da
Christine
Dec 08, 2014 Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: crochet, math
My husband bought this book for me at the MOMath in NYC, I've dipped into it all year at my bedside table.

There are plenty of photos, but since they are strange and rare, they are not always sharp and clear. The crochet sections themselves would have benefited from a glance from Lindsay Stevens or the Stitchstud, both wonderful technical editors for crochet patterns; it's so much easier to read about crochet when it's written conventionally, even if British and American publishing do use differe
Jasmine
Sep 17, 2014 Jasmine rated it really liked it
It was smaller than I was expecting- think a large hardcover picture book. Except for math geeks. And probably not for very little kids. Maybe a sixth grader (or precocious fourth grader), rereading over the years and getting more and more understanding from it.
Still, it's a fun book. Title may be a little misleading, as it's more mathy than crochet-y, but I'm enough of a math geek that it was just as satisfying.
Anne
Sep 09, 2015 Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
Non-Euclidean geometry explained with crochet. Math, not craft. As nearly as I can tell, it would be a good way to learn the math involved. Unfortunately, it's not a great crochet bookm though some of the projects are inspiring,
Valerie
Sep 22, 2010 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all my students, Zach Shiner, Lizzy Ruiz, Brandon I.
Shelves: math, education
Sadly, no patterns...but I got to see one of her hyperbolic planes at the Exploratorium, and it was very cool. Finally, a craft I can get behind....

This book gave me so many ideas for class...hyperbolic plane hats for every student and a little known Lewis Carroll play, and some easy ways to introduce topology. I can't wait to do projects.
Stacy
Jul 18, 2013 Stacy rated it really liked it
This book is really cool, but I would not recommend it unless you have some sort of an interest in math. She delves a lot into mathematical history; there's actually a lot more of that than there is crochet. But it's still an interesting read. Lots of fun theories to think about and she does a pretty good job helping you to visualize them.
Pat
May 25, 2013 Pat rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It has been a few decades since my college math classes, but Daina Taimina managed to keep my interest. I may have to read parts of the book a few times to understand the concepts, but I'm already crocheting a hyperbolic plane to help me visualize. The profuse illustrations in the book will assist also.
Valerie Sherman
May 17, 2010 Valerie Sherman rated it liked it
I would have rated it higher if she gave specific pattern instructions to make some of the crazy awesome corals and hyperbolic planes in the book!
Ellen
Jul 17, 2014 Ellen rated it really liked it
Another book of maths and crochet. This one is beautifully illustrated, but information about how to create the shapes is not provided.
Christina
Sep 18, 2011 Christina rated it liked it
Shelves: own, 2011, craft
Very interesting, but I didn't quite have the math skills to follow all of it.
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Lesley Vick
Lesley Vick marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Stephen Wynn
Stephen Wynn marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Emanuel Landeholm
Emanuel Landeholm marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Pelin
Pelin is currently reading it
Mar 10, 2016
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Steve
Steve added it
Feb 11, 2016
Caterina Capponi
Caterina Capponi marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Miroslav
Miroslav marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Kimmie
Kimmie marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Pat
Pat rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Duc Minh Tran
Duc Minh Tran marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Norma
Norma rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Melloryl
Melloryl marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015