Start by marking “Bolan: The Rise and Fall of a 20th Century Superstar” as Want to Read:
Bolan: The Rise and Fall of a 20th Century Superstar

Bolan: The Rise and Fall of a 20th Century Superstar

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Exploring the making - and undoing - of the self-styled 20th century boy Marc Bolan, this book provides a portrait of a pop obsessive, a chameleon whose remarkable life allows us to explore the subterranean worlds he inhabited.
Published September 1st 2006 by Omnibus Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Bolan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bolan

Tosh
Marc Bolan and T.Rex were very much part of my teen years. Marc Bolan represented a foreign force (from the U.K.) that made one realize that there was something "out" out there. I dug the catchy aspect of his idiotic lyrics, but when sung by him, was pure poetry on (almost) highest level. But then David Bowie came on the scene and totally tore the T.Rex need out of my life. But many years later I have come back to the sound of T.Rex and realize what a remarkable and eccentric talent he was.
Mark
minnie
Excellent biography brilliantly researched ,honest and portrays Marc asintelligent ambitious and utterly charming 'til he hit the cocaine of course!
Maj
I got this book because I kept bumping into Bolan in connection with some of my favourite artists for many years now, grew fond of some of his songs but had only little knowledge about his life story, apart from his tragic demise. I can tell Paytress did a great job researching, even if my prior knowledge was not deep. He quotes a lot, lets people with different points of view talk etc. The book gave me insight into both Bolan's music and life, his personality. It does not paint Marc in the best ...more
James Gent
The story of how Mark Feld of Stoke Newington became Marc Bolan of the Ballrooms of Mars. A detailed, honest, informed biography.
Jen
This book was interesting and I learned a lot not just about Marc Bolan and T. Rex, but about the whole 70s British music scene. I guess I wasn't ready to see Marc Bolan for who he really was though. Not knowing much about his personality beforehand, it threw me a bit.
Stefan Wikstrom
Stefan Wikstrom is currently reading it
May 27, 2015
Kali
Kali marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Magnolia
Magnolia marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Christa
Christa marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Carella Ross
Carella Ross marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Conor Crockford
Conor Crockford marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Kae
Kae marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Enzo Thebaker
Enzo Thebaker marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Evetselyod
Evetselyod marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Al Toker
Al Toker marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mark Paytress is a journalist, author and broadcaster. A regular contributor to MOJO magazine, his work has also appeared in numerous publications including The Guardian, Radio Times, Q, Rolling Stone, Crawdaddy, Maxim, La Repubblica and Record Collector.

His books include Bolan: The Rise & Fall Of A 20th Century Superstar (Omnibus Press), Break It Up: Patti Smith’s Horses And The Remaking Of R
More about Mark Paytress...
Siouxsie & the Banshees: The Authorised Biography Vicious: The Art of Dying Young BowieStyle Break It Up: Patti Smith's Horses and the Remaking of Rock 'n' Roll I Was There: Gigs That Changed the World