Start by marking “Access Denied (Turing Hopper, #3)” as Want to Read:
Access Denied (Turing Hopper, #3)

Access Denied (Turing Hopper #3)

In this latest entry of the Agatha Award-winning series, Artificial Intelligence Personality Turing Hopper tracks a fugitive's credit card purchases. Soon Turing and her friends are lured to a vacant house, and what they discover there could get them all deleted.
Mass Market Paperback, 251 pages
Published November 1st 2005 by Berkley (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Access Denied, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Access Denied

Sharon
Sep 22, 2015 Sharon rated it liked it
I started this series on the 3rd book so I was left with a number of questions about the AIP (alien intelligence personality) ,named Turing, that narrates a large portion of the book. Never the less I found it to be an charming story about Turing who simultaneously tries to solve a mystery,keep her identity (or non-identity) a secret and understand and support the humans who assist her in her/it's? endeavors. This light mystery raises (but does not solve) the serious questions of what ...more
Elsi
Mar 23, 2009 Elsi rated it really liked it
I am impressed with this series. Andrews has taken the cozy murder and inserted some sophisticated technology to do computer and artificial intelligence and come up with a masterful cross-over between science fiction and mystery. I've ordered the sequel and I'm hoping it won't be the last in the series.
Margarette Kramer
Aug 06, 2011 Margarette Kramer rated it it was ok
wasn't very interesting...some of it was complicated. i didn't like that fact that there was no chapters.
Natalie
Feb 28, 2011 Natalie rated it liked it
Can't wait to see what happens in the next one! The human characters are more involved and knowing the premis saves a ton of reading time...liking each one better than the last one!
Rachel
Feb 24, 2011 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller
An interesting concept, the AI amateur detective. Not near as good as the Meg Langslow series.
Jun 16, 2009 Jennifer rated it did not like it
Shelves: no-thanks
I just can't get into a sentient computer as the heroine. Sorry.
Bea
Nov 24, 2016 Bea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second series that I set out to finish this quarter. Unlike the paranormal one, it is unclear to me whether there will be more books in the future or not. Currently the series ends at #4 (next book).

I would classify this one as a cozy nerd mystery. By that I mean that the ordinary people in this series are a mix of PIs and techies who are working with and supporting an AI computer, who is the prime protagonist named Turing.

Per Wikipedia, "(Alan) Turing is widely considered to be the
Ed
Apr 14, 2013 Ed rated it really liked it
#3 in the Turing Hopper series. This 2004 entry in the next to last in the series, so the series doesn't have the legs of the author's Meg Langslow series that has 13 entries through 2012. This series though is quite enjoyable and its relatively narrow focus no doubt accounts for it's short life. Although I imagine it could be read as a stand-alone, I would recommend reading it from the beginning - You've Got Murder (2002).

Turing Hopper series - "Artificial Intelligence Personality" Turing Hoppe
Angela
Access Denied is the third book in the Turing Hopper series by Donna Andrews, and so far it's been the only one that really never quite gelled for me. Plot-wise, we've got Turing and her human allies trying to dig into what looks like credit card fraud on the surface--and what may actually be illicit activity on the part of Nestor Garcia, the criminal they last saw making off with T2, Turing's clone sister. There are some not half-bad subplots involving Turing needing to work at understanding wh ...more
Flewts
May 22, 2016 Flewts rated it it was amazing
The third in this series which features a character which is an artificial intelligence. Donna Andrews writes delightful characters and plots that leave me guessing, and I know when I pick up one of her books, it will be a winner.

One thing I didn't like as much with this book was the long passages in italics that signified the artificial intelligence character as the narrator. I don't remember having a problem with the previous books, so I'm not sure if it's that these passages were longer, or i
April
Feb 25, 2015 April rated it liked it
Third enjoyable installment in the Turing Hopper mystery series starring a kindly, chatty, female AI as the heroine detective. The 2004 copyright makes some things out of date, but overall, it's still a good story with enjoyable characters and an exciting plot. In this one, Turing continues looking for T2, her copy, which has been taken by the evil master criminal Nestor Garcia. Her friends continue to try to protect her and befriend a computer, as they also look at a credit card fraud case that ...more
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Overall the book was good, what I didn't like was that there were no chapters. I think I've read a book by this author before and that was something I didn't like then either but didn't recognize the author so didn't remember that!

I generally like any books with computers involved and this storyline has a computer with a personality that runs a few companies and helps solve crimes with the few that know that Turing isn't a person but a computer.
Christine
Mar 10, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book! It was my first experience with artificial intelligence as the main character and even narrator for many sections. Although it is the 3rd book in the series enough information is provided to make background clear.
Turing is an artificial intelligence personality (AIP). Together with her human friends she does some sleuthing to uncover a credit card scam, nab a killer and gains new info about her missing clone, T2.
Mark Baker
Mar 15, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, 2004
Artificial Intelligence Personality Turing Hopper is excited to finally have a clue to the location of a criminal she needs to track down. However, her PI friend Tim gets accused of a murder when he goes to investigate. The characters are still very real, both human and AIP, and the plot is fast moving. Just read the series in order.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Cara Noyes
Jun 25, 2014 Cara Noyes rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I need to find book 2 in the series and read it to fill in some of the gaps. But overall I really enjoyed this story. Turing is quite a main character! Clever. I liked the way they included lawyer Sam into the elite circle of knowing Turing's true identity. But Nestor and T2 are still out there .... I prefer more resolution at the end of books. But this sets up too for a sequel... Has T2 turned to the dark side?
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
Another cute mystery from the Turing Hopper series. This one continues the larger plot started in the second book, but is a bit more focused with tighter writing. The characters are starting to come into better focus, particularly Tim who never felt particularly realistic in the first two books but is starting to flesh out a bit better. A light, easy read.
Judy LeBlanc
Aug 06, 2013 Judy LeBlanc rated it it was amazing
a very quick read, my son had been after me for some time to read this book, he enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm glad I finally read it, now to find the fourth and last book in the series. It's an old series by Donna Andrews but a good one. Nice for a summer evening on the deck kind of book.
Mary
Mar 12, 2009 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Part of mystery series featuring Artifical Intelligence (AI) "Turing" as our protagonist. Comic. Nice characters; they all grow along the way--especially Turing.
Science fiction readers will have to accept that this is NOT good science fiction but rather a mystery featuring a non-human character.
April
So, the main character is an artificial intelligence which makes the good and bad parts of the book. It's interesting and you're learning along with her and her friends to deal with an AI. However, the angst and hand-wringing is a bit extreme after a bit. Still, I'd probably read another one.
Jackie
Jul 09, 2009 Jackie rated it liked it
The next Turing Hopper book in the series. Good light reading. I'm excited I only have 1 book left in the series so I can move on to something else. Still its great reading for the metro where I don't want any deep thinking after work.
Faith
Sep 27, 2011 Faith added it
didn't really enjoy. Was OK, but probably won't read others in the series. I do like another series by the same author.
Joy
Mar 15, 2015 Joy rated it really liked it
If Turing investigates a stolen credit card ring too deeply, her hacking might be noticed and her identity exposed. It has to be done, because the FBI has suspicious eyes on her friends.
Monica
Jun 01, 2013 Monica rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Enjoying the series with Turing the sentient computer, King Fischer, another sentient computer, and human friends. In this book there is a computer credit scam going on that the group must stop.
Sunshine
Oct 01, 2015 Sunshine rated it it was ok
bored me and i didn't like it but I also did not realize it was part of a series until I finished so perhaps if you start at the beginning, you'll like it
Anne McCannon
Mar 27, 2016 Anne McCannon rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan of this series and of Donna Andrews. I love reading books set in areas I know and live in.
Barbra
Jun 13, 2009 Barbra rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Read this story for the 2nd time and it is just as humorous and the 1st time I read it. The conversations between the AIP's are truly a pleasant surprise, and totally funny.
Michele
Oct 11, 2014 Michele rated it really liked it
this series isn't really my cup of tea on the surface, but I keep reading because I like me the characters so much
Dec 17, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
In this series, the murder is a subplot. The real story is Turing Hopper and our culture's assumptions about what constitutes "human."
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2009
Karen Nicholson
Karen Nicholson rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2010
  • Skating on the Edge (Rebecca Robbins, #3)
  • How Spy I Am (Never Say Spy, #5)
  • Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)
  • Killer Dust (Em Hansen Mystery, #8)
  • Even Cat Sitters Get the Blues (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #3)
  • Goody Goody Gunshots (A Candy Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Man Docking (Bed-and-Breakfast, #21)
  • Town in a Strawberry Swirl (A Candy Holliday Mystery #5)
  • Madness in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #4)
Donna Andrews was born in Yorktown, Virginia, the setting of Murder with Peacocks and Revenge of the Wrought Iron Flamingos, and now lives and works in Reston, Virginia. When not writing fiction, Andrews is a self-confessed nerd, rarely found away from her computer, unless she's messing in the garden

More about Donna Andrews...

Turing Hopper (4 books)
  • You've Got Murder (Turing Hopper, #1)
  • Click Here For Murder (Turing Hopper, #2)
  • Delete All Suspects (Turing Hopper, #4)