Start by marking “Shark Swimathon” as Want to Read:
Shark Swimathon

Shark Swimathon (MathStart: Level 3)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Shark Swimathon The Ocean City Sharks have to swim 75 laps by the end of the week, and every day they figure out how many laps are left to go. Swimming and subtraction are all part of the fun!
Published December 26th 2000 by HarperCollins (first published November 15th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Shark Swimathon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shark Swimathon

Juso
Mar 22, 2013 Juso rated it really liked it
"Shark Swimathon" is a wonderful book about teaching kids how to subtract two-digit numbers. The book is about a team of sharks, Flip, Flap, Gill, and Stripes. Their coach, Coach Blue challenges them to make 75 laps in a week in order to win some tacos! After each day, the sharks swim a certain number of laps and Coach Blue subtracts that amount of laps from the 75 laps that they will have to complete by the end of the week. Coach Blue shows how subtracting occurs, first by subtracting the ones, ...more
Dolly
Oct 08, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is another fun story in the MathStart series by Stuart J. Murphy. We like these books; they incorporate math principles into the story and show how math is fun and necessary for everyday life. This story shows how to track progress toward attaining a goal through math. The illustrations are fun, and while the story is a bit predictable, it was also entertaining. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Ashley Sparks
Apr 18, 2010 Ashley Sparks rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
I found this in my first grade classroom's library. This is a good book about teaching children how to borrow and subtract double digits. The fun story will keep your kids engaged while they learn at the same time. I am always interested in books about math concepts because they seem to scarce( I could be wrong). I think it's good that you can have a fun story that teaches children a math concept at the same time. It's the best of both worlds!
Deanna Donald
Mar 14, 2011 Deanna Donald rated it really liked it
This is a great book when teaching double digit subtraction. The students become engaged in this book as they have to solve double digit subtraction problems to see how many laps the sharks will have to swim in order to win the race. Its a great read especially for teaching a lesson on double digit subtraction as students can definitely relate to races as students are involved in sports!
Chelsea Ulrich
Jun 06, 2011 Chelsea Ulrich rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
This book would be helpful for subtraction and could even work with multiplication and division. Students could work on subtracting the laps on their own as the sharks completed them and then check to see that their answers were matching the sharks. I could see using this book to give students the chance to try invented strategies and share their strategies with classmates.
Seth Lebaron
Nov 30, 2012 Seth Lebaron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math, word-problem
This book is great for working with subtraction of two-digit numbers, addition, and multiplication. The Addition could even be designed like the grapes of math book the teach the multiplication.
Michaela
Nov 22, 2011 Michaela rated it it was amazing
Filled with tons of two-digit subtraction examples and would be a great way to integrate literature into the math lesson of introducing 2-digit subtraction.
Katherine Fountain
Jan 18, 2013 Katherine Fountain rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
Great for introducing or reviewing subtraction with regrouping
Myles
Aug 01, 2011 Myles rated it liked it
I didn't really like it that much. It was all about math.
Christen Griego
Mar 06, 2013 Christen Griego rated it liked it
K and 1st
subtraction
J4
J4 marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Maureen
Maureen rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Knight
Knight rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
andrea y harris
andrea y harris rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
M
M marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Inara
Inara rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Sunyoung
Sunyoung marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Kim T.
Kim T. rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Jen Dixon
Jen Dixon marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Andrea Starks
Andrea Starks marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Angel Correa
Angel Correa marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Zoya
Zoya rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2015
Harold Eberhart
Harold Eberhart marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
PICTURES & WORDS, STORIES & BOOKS
MathStart http://www.mathstart.net
I See I Learn http://www.iseeilearn.com

I was one of those kids who talked all the time in class. I loved telling stories. One day in the 4th Grade, my teacher said, “You tell such good stories, maybe you should try writing some of them down.” “Wow,” I thought. “She thinks my stories are good.” That’s when I started to real
More about Stuart J. Murphy...

MathStart: Level 3 (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Ready, Set, Hop!
  • Too Many Kangaroo Things to Do!
  • Betcha! Estimating (Mathstart, Level 3)
  • Divide and Ride