Start by marking “Shark In The Park” as Want to Read:
Shark In The Park

Shark In The Park

Timothy Pope has a brand new telescope and he's testing it out at the park. Children will delight in peeping through the die-cut holes and guessing what Tim has spotted. Is that really a shark he can see? Turn the page and find out . . .
Published February 1st 2007 by Corgi Childrens (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Shark In The Park, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shark In The Park

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakTurtle Wish by Murielle CyrGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Picture Book recommendations for Library Storytime
21st out of 109 books — 44 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
499th out of 1,946 books — 1,273 voters

More lists with this book...

Feb 08, 2009 Lori rated it really liked it
Another book like "Who Ate All the Cookie Dough", with great repetition and rhyme that our boys like so much. We read it at least 7 times today and our toddlers "read" and laughed it to us. What is it that Timothy Pope really sees through his telescope?
Lindsey Johnson
Sep 22, 2009 Lindsey Johnson added it
Shelves: pbgs-1
I really like how it has a hole in almost every page pretending it is like a telescope. This book is very short and really easy to read. I think this book is for second graders and younger. It makes the children wonder what he is seeing in the telescope. Through the telescope it looks like it could be a shark fin but then when you flip the page it is from a bird’s wing or something else. Reading this book you could really make it intense for the little kids. I can see them not being able to sit ...more
Nov 24, 2009 Tricia rated it it was amazing
Really clever title showing view through telescope of things areound the park...but the partial always appears to be a shark fin. Of course, my shark-obsessed child loved it. Irony is the last page that reveals the true location of the shark. Toddlers would enjoy...brief text but also fun for preschoolers who will get the picture play more than the younger children.
Nov 25, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preschool and up
From the Goodreads description:

Timothy Pope has a brand new telescope and he's testing it out at the park. Children will delight in peeping through the die-cut holes and guessing what Tim has spotted. Is that really a shark he can see? Turn the page and find out.
Jul 31, 2010 Joella rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, shark
I think I could have used this book when my older brother told me that sharks lived in the blue carpet in our house...
Amanda Harris
Nov 17, 2010 Amanda Harris rated it really liked it
Timothy Pope has a brand new telescope! When he takes it to the park, he seems to keep seeing what looks like a shark. Is there a shark in the park?? Read and find out! This is a great read aloud. Have the kids look up, down, right, left, and all around as you find out together if there is a "Shark in the Park".

I love this book. It's short, easy to read, and funny. If you are doing a group read aloud and the kids have read or listened to it before, they will surely yell out what's in the park be
Dec 17, 2011 Jade rated it really liked it
A fun and interactive picture book creatively written and illustrated. Lots of repetition so that children are able to join in with the reading and have the opportunity to use their voices in different ways such as chanting and shouting. It is an exciting read and very catchy.
Chloe Avery
Jan 18, 2012 Chloe Avery rated it really liked it
Shark in the Park by Nick Sharratt
This book is about a young boy Timothy Pope who has a brand new telescope. The boy decides to test his new telescope in the park and sees what he believes is a shark fin. Is there a shark in the park? When I read this book with children they really enjoyed the lens-shaped cut out pages and guessing what Timothy maybe seeing through his telescope. I believe the illustrations in this book are a key part of its charm. The book also contains allot of repeated direct
Library Quine
Timothy Pope takes his telescope to the park and sees sharks everywhere (except every shark he spies turns out to be something else when he isn't looking through the telescope). There is a nice repetitive section of text which children might like to join in with (I'd prep them in advance to do a set of actions with it too). The story itself has a repetitive element too, which gives the opportunity for asking children to predict whether it will be a shark (or not), or to guess at what he might re ...more
Tracey Young
May 03, 2012 Tracey Young rated it it was amazing
Children love this book, it is fun and interactive. It is about a young boy called Timothy Pope who is looking through a telescope in the park. The children are able you look through holes in the book to see what Timothy can see for themselves. They get very excited when they peep through the holes and guess what Timothy has spotted. Each picture in the book challenges the children to think. This brightly illustrated book contains clever rhymes and pleasant repetition so children can begin to ch ...more
May 07, 2012 Sharmin rated it really liked it
Shark in the Park as title hints as a rhyming book, which is great for childrens interest. It is a fun and exciting book which children can easily get in to. I would recommend this for children in Nursery or Reception.
Jul 18, 2012 Leyoh rated it really liked it
This is laugh out loud funny with bright and exciting pictures to get the readers imagination going, I would recommend it is not one to read before bed.
Sep 30, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It helped get me my job in Novi, and I re-read it this past week in preparation to use it in storytime. Didn't end up happening as I always prepare about five times more books than I need, but I still love it. Kids love animals, and shapes and this combines those in a silly and clever way.
Chelsea Horton
Nov 21, 2012 Chelsea Horton rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I was not a big fan of this book, but I know children will really like the story. A young boy has a telescope and thinks he sees a shark in the park, but he sees parts of other things like a cat ear, a crow's wing, and his father's hair. I thought it was a silly story, but the illustrations bored me a little. They were too child-like for me to enjoy.
Maggie KutsBorg
Read with a mixed group of toddlers/preschoolers. They really enjoyed this, which isn't surprising - it's a hoot. I made it interactive by having the kids make telescopes with their hands to look up/down/all around with Timothy.
Amy Forrester
Mar 07, 2014 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
In rhyming text, Sharratt’s story follows the adventures of a little boy named Timothy Pope who repeatedly thinks he sees a shark in the park! Each time Timothy looks through his telescope he sees a close up of something that could be a shark’s fin, but it turns out to be a cat’s ear or a crow’s wing. The repetitive text and the bright illustrations, make this a great book for storytime.

Read More at Picture-Book-a-Day:
In Shark in the Park, Timothy Pope visits the park with his telescope. He spots a shark fin and worries several times. Each time the shark fin turns out to be something else. Children may enjoy the surprise behind each die cut. Finally, Timothy's dad arrives to take him home as a duck spots a shark fin the park.
The clear and consistent font lends the book to print awareness. The pattern of the shark fin surprise and the three times that Timothy sees a shark fin could help children develop narra
Apr 17, 2014 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I am a big fan of Nick Sharratt's stories for children and Shark In The Park is a fun tale. Fabulous for introducing rhyme to young children.
Jun 01, 2014 Luthfayah rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story about a boy called Timothy Pope, who got a brand new telescope. He takes it with him to the park and you won’t imagine what he could see! A Shark in the Park! The little fin that he kept spotting turned out to be other objects leading him to look for something else- only to his amusement another shark in the park! I read this book during circle time for a nursery class who absolutely enjoyed the repetition, getting them to join in (more like shouting!) as a group for repeated w ...more
Mar 04, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books, humorous
Working on ya Boston accent? Tired of saying "Pahk ya cah in Hahvid yahd"? Then this is the book for you! It's wicked funny!
Mar 16, 2015 Jennie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching
This is a great story about a boy called Timothy Pope who has got a brand new telescope which he takes to the park and through it he sees a SHARK! The 'sharks' fin he keeps seeing ends up being other objects until he leaves at the end and a fin is poking out of the duck pond!

I have read this book to nursery and reception age children who loved shouting out There's a shark in the park! Children who didn't normally like to talk during circle times were joining in with the shouting too, which was
Sep 02, 2015 Fatima rated it it was amazing
Shark in the park is a story about a boy named Timothy Pope who is testing out his new toy a telescope in the park. He looks up, he looks down, he looks right and then left with his telescope and then he thinks he sees a shark….is it a shark? Or is it something else?
This is an enjoyable story with allot of repetition and rhyme. This book can be read by independent young readers. It is a funny colourful story which even as grownups we can appreciate. This can be read to a class at the end of the
Timothy Pope scans the park with his new telescope, each time seeing a SHARK! Each time it's actually something benign like a cat or crow. The "shark fin" is revealed through round die cuts. Great for storytimes.
Mar 16, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
this is really quite cute.

explanation for my sudden shelving of numerous children's books : because why not? and also, this is what happens when you start working in a children's bookstore and have to familiarise yourself so as to be able to make recommendations to customers. (not that I'm complaining because hello, I get to read at work!!!)
Renate Robey
One of my favorite readaloud books. A little boy goes to the park and thinks that he sees a shark. Make sure to point out the little twist hidden in the final pages of the book- after the books seems to have ended. This is a very interactive book and great for dialogic reading.
Jun 05, 2016 kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Picture Book, Telescopes, Parks, Stories in Rhyme, Storytime

Through his telescope a little boy keeps seeing what seems to be a shark in the park, but by turning the page the reader can see and identify the whole object.
Jun 06, 2016 Rossy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Loved it!
Cute, colorful illustrations, rhymes, and of course, Timothy Pope with his new telescope, thinking everything he sees in the park looks like a shark :)
ESF Tsing Yi
Children love Nick Sharratt's humorous illustrations and infectious rhymes, and this is a great read aloud, with lots of lovely detail for children to spot and discuss. There's a glow-in-the-dark sequel which is just as much fun: Shark in the Dark!
Stef Rozitis
Sep 07, 2016 Stef Rozitis rated it really liked it
It's a lot of fun and invites the involved read. The "shark" in each case turns out to be something else, but this is not just a rewrite of the boy who cried wolf. There is ambiguity and readers are encouraged to see beyond the obvious fear discourses available to them (in a cosy situation where making mistakes is ok).

A book that destabilises the obvious (and simple enough for two year olds to enjoy)
Niena Ramirez
Sep 29, 2016 Niena Ramirez rated it really liked it
Shelves: el230
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • Clip-Clop
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • The Three Little Fish And The Big Bad Shark
  • Banana
  • A Boy and His Bunny
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • Whatever
  • The Kiss That Missed
  • Ducks Don't Wear Socks
  • Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball
Nick Sharratt is the author-illustrator of numerous books for children, including The Foggy, Foggy Forest and Dinosaurs’ Day Out. He lives in Brighton, England.
More about Nick Sharratt...