Shark In The Park

Shark In The Park

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  423 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Timothy Pope has a brand new telescope and he's testing it out at the park. Children will delight in peeping through the die-cut holes and guessing what Tim has spotted. Is that really a shark he can see? Turn the page and find out . . .
Published February 1st 2007 by Corgi Childrens (first published January 1st 2000)

Luthfayah
A wonderful story about a boy called Timothy Pope, who got a brand new telescope. He takes it with him to the park and you won’t imagine what he could see! A Shark in the Park! The little fin that he kept spotting turned out to be other objects leading him to look for something else- only to his amusement another shark in the park! I read this book during circle time for a nursery class who absolutely enjoyed the repetition, getting them to join in (more like shouting!) as a group for repeated w...more
Leyoh
This is laugh out loud funny with bright and exciting pictures to get the readers imagination going, I would recommend it is not one to read before bed.
Kelsey
In Shark in the Park, Timothy Pope visits the park with his telescope. He spots a shark fin and worries several times. Each time the shark fin turns out to be something else. Children may enjoy the surprise behind each die cut. Finally, Timothy's dad arrives to take him home as a duck spots a shark fin the park.
The clear and consistent font lends the book to print awareness. The pattern of the shark fin surprise and the three times that Timothy sees a shark fin could help children develop narra...more
Amy Musser
In rhyming text, Sharratt’s story follows the adventures of a little boy named Timothy Pope who repeatedly thinks he sees a shark in the park! Each time Timothy looks through his telescope he sees a close up of something that could be a shark’s fin, but it turns out to be a cat’s ear or a crow’s wing. The repetitive text and the bright illustrations, make this a great book for storytime.

Read More at Picture-Book-a-Day: http://picturebookaday.blogspot.com/2...
Amanda Harris
Timothy Pope has a brand new telescope! When he takes it to the park, he seems to keep seeing what looks like a shark. Is there a shark in the park?? Read and find out! This is a great read aloud. Have the kids look up, down, right, left, and all around as you find out together if there is a "Shark in the Park".

I love this book. It's short, easy to read, and funny. If you are doing a group read aloud and the kids have read or listened to it before, they will surely yell out what's in the park be...more
Lindsey Johnson
Sep 22, 2009 Lindsey Johnson added it
Shelves: pbgs-1
I really like how it has a hole in almost every page pretending it is like a telescope. This book is very short and really easy to read. I think this book is for second graders and younger. It makes the children wonder what he is seeing in the telescope. Through the telescope it looks like it could be a shark fin but then when you flip the page it is from a bird’s wing or something else. Reading this book you could really make it intense for the little kids. I can see them not being able to sit...more
April
I am a big fan of Nick Sharratt's stories for children and Shark In The Park is a fun tale. Fabulous for introducing rhyme to young children.
Library Quine
Timothy Pope takes his telescope to the park and sees sharks everywhere (except every shark he spies turns out to be something else when he isn't looking through the telescope). There is a nice repetitive section of text which children might like to join in with (I'd prep them in advance to do a set of actions with it too). The story itself has a repetitive element too, which gives the opportunity for asking children to predict whether it will be a shark (or not), or to guess at what he might re...more
Tracey Young
Children love this book, it is fun and interactive. It is about a young boy called Timothy Pope who is looking through a telescope in the park. The children are able you look through holes in the book to see what Timothy can see for themselves. They get very excited when they peep through the holes and guess what Timothy has spotted. Each picture in the book challenges the children to think. This brightly illustrated book contains clever rhymes and pleasant repetition so children can begin to ch...more
Claire
Great for reading aloud
Mckinley
About shapes, fun and well done.
Chloe Avery
Shark in the Park by Nick Sharratt
This book is about a young boy Timothy Pope who has a brand new telescope. The boy decides to test his new telescope in the park and sees what he believes is a shark fin. Is there a shark in the park? When I read this book with children they really enjoyed the lens-shaped cut out pages and guessing what Timothy maybe seeing through his telescope. I believe the illustrations in this book are a key part of its charm. The book also contains allot of repeated direct...more
Tricia
Really clever title showing view through telescope of things areound the park...but the partial always appears to be a shark fin. Of course, my shark-obsessed child loved it. Irony is the last page that reveals the true location of the shark. Toddlers would enjoy...brief text but also fun for preschoolers who will get the picture play more than the younger children.
Chelsea Horton
I was not a big fan of this book, but I know children will really like the story. A young boy has a telescope and thinks he sees a shark in the park, but he sees parts of other things like a cat ear, a crow's wing, and his father's hair. I thought it was a silly story, but the illustrations bored me a little. They were too child-like for me to enjoy.
I love this book! It helped get me my job in Novi, and I re-read it this past week in preparation to use it in storytime. Didn't end up happening as I always prepare about five times more books than I need, but I still love it. Kids love animals, and shapes and this combines those in a silly and clever way.
Jade
A fun and interactive picture book creatively written and illustrated. Lots of repetition so that children are able to join in with the reading and have the opportunity to use their voices in different ways such as chanting and shouting. It is an exciting read and very catchy.
Becky
Nov 25, 2009 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool and up
From the Goodreads description:

Timothy Pope has a brand new telescope and he's testing it out at the park. Children will delight in peeping through the die-cut holes and guessing what Tim has spotted. Is that really a shark he can see? Turn the page and find out.
Lori
Another book like "Who Ate All the Cookie Dough", with great repetition and rhyme that our boys like so much. We read it at least 7 times today and our toddlers "read" and laughed it to us. What is it that Timothy Pope really sees through his telescope?
Michelle
Always a hit with the children, great surprises and they love the rhyming throughout.
Sharmin
Shark in the Park as title hints as a rhyming book, which is great for childrens interest. It is a fun and exciting book which children can easily get in to. I would recommend this for children in Nursery or Reception.
Katmarie24
This book was part of my Orff class yesterday. They demonstrated a musical composition activity to accompany it for 1st graders. Excellent lesson, now I have to go buy this book!
Bryony Jensen

Timothy Pope goes to the park with his new telescope in this fab book by Nick Sharratt. The repeated refrain makes this a great story for sharing with groups of children.
Leonie
A fun respective picture book about a boy who mistakes various things for a shark (in the park) as he views the world through his telescope.
Donna Edwards
Me and my daughter just love Nick Sharratt he is the first person we go to on the book shelves when we go to the book store or libary
Katie
Really cute. Gave to J for Christmas and he enjoys it because it's short and he can "read" it on his own.

Plus, he loves sharks.
Barbara
Aug 25, 2008 Barbara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: PreSchool - Gr 1
Great cover! Playful, rhyming, repetition, concepts of left-right, up-down, and holes in pages to poke through...great for ST's.
Dannie
If there's "mystery" or guessing involved, my 4yo loves it. This was no exception. And it rhymes, which is also a hit.
Elizabeth
Aug 03, 2010 Elizabeth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Leslie Elsasser
Fellow Sunset Beach goers were not as amused as I was about Santi's recitation of this wonderful book last weekend.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
I think I could have used this book when my older brother told me that sharks lived in the blue carpet in our house...
Angie
This book has all of the perfect elements for a ST read: colorful, repetition, rhyming, humor, etc. I love it!
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • A Boy and His Bunny
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Clip-Clop
  • Banana!
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball
  • What! Cried Granny
  • Lemons Are Not Red
  • Ten In The Den
  • The Three Little Fish And The Big Bad Shark
Nick Sharratt is the author-illustrator of numerous books for children, including The Foggy, Foggy Forest and Dinosaurs’ Day Out. He lives in Brighton, England.
More about Nick Sharratt...
The Foggy, Foggy Forest What's in the Witch's Kitchen? Don't Put Your Finger in the Jelly, Nelly! Ketchup On Your Cornflakes? Shark in the Dark