Start by marking “Final Argument” as Want to Read:

Final Argument

A riveting tale of justice at all costs, by the bestselling author of Trial. A prestigious lawyer's lush life suddenly becomes a nightmare when he learns that his conviction in a case 12 years earlier has put the wrong man on death row.
Published May 1st 1994 by Island Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Final Argument, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Argument

Doug Meyn
Jul 28, 2013 Doug Meyn rated it it was amazing
Almost didn't read it after looking at some of the reviews but glad I did. Interesting look at the world through the eyes of an honest but very imperfect lawyer with a "screw up and it will bite you in the ass" lesson spun in. Yes, somewhat predictable, maybe dated but darned entertaining. And I don't get hung up on legal technicalities; having spent way too much time in courtrooms I wouldn't be able to enjoy any work of legal fiction if i was bothered by a little creative license. I paid for en ...more
Eileen Goudge
Aug 26, 2013 Eileen Goudge rated it liked it
An engaging courtroom thriller. Well-written, with just enough spice to add flavor to a bubbling stew of conflicts. No huge surprises in terms of plot twists, but it moved at a brisk pace. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good page-turner.
Prescottl
Dec 01, 2016 Prescottl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent legal thriller/courtroom drama about a prosecutor of a man given the death penalty and who later becomes the man's defense attorney.
Ronda Bird
Feb 19, 2017 Ronda Bird rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was intriguing from start to finish. I can't wait to read another Clifford Irving book!!
Harold Kasselman
Aug 24, 2014 Harold Kasselman rated it really liked it
Ted Jaffe has practiced law on both sides of the courtroom table, but he never thought he would be defending a man that he prosecuted for capital murder. An act of infidelity will bring Jaffe to his knees in his legal career in this ethical dilemma-based courtroom drama. Jaffe is convinced of the innocence of a black man whom his gut tells him 13 years earlier was convicted because of some corruption in the earlier trial. Jaffe is obsessed with proving him innocent even at the risk of losing his ...more
Marcia Raven
Really enjoyed this author and will check out other titles by him. Brings great perspective on capital punishment and the lives of so many black young men. People that have trouble with Black Lives Matter could help educate themselves and have a better understanding of many issues of the race situation in the USA. It's not a political book but a good crime and justice story.
Don Lund
Apr 05, 2009 Don Lund rated it it was amazing
For an almost perfect site, their inability to get it right is just frustrating; this book's title does not end in "s". The real title is
"Final Argument."

As for the book itself ... expect to spend a late night because it is hard to put down. This is a wonderful story with many legal twists and turns. One becomes strangely sympathetic to Ted Jaffe's conundrums as defense attorney as he tries to remove the noose from around Darryl Morgan's neck that he had put there years before as a state prosecu
Scott K
I'm not an easy one to please when if comes to courtroom 'thrillers' as some can be so drawn out which is why I had 'Final Argument' on my 'Want to Read Self' for a long time. But at long last I thought I give it a try and can I enjoyed 'Final Argument'

Being a goody two shoes prude I would of preferred less or no sex but I'm in the minority so I'm trying not to be a killjoy on the book for those who don't care. It isn't loaded with all sex and infidelity but feel I alert my fellow prudes.

I enjo
Dale
Jan 27, 2014 Dale rated it really liked it
What Would You Do?"

Imagine you're a defense lawyer but you used to be a prosecutor. Now,imagine you find out a career criminal that you put on Death Row is really innocent of the crime because you discover that the witness statements you used were all lies. Now, imagine that he's going to die in a month. What do you do?

Throw in a heaping handful of racial politics, Florida's fascination with the electric chair and the main characters fractured family life and you've got Clifford Irving's Final
deb
Jun 22, 2015 deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read clifford irving when he was originally published. when this author showed up on my kindle recommended list, it surprised me and I decided to re-read the novels of the past. It proves that a creative plot with unexpected outcomes and strong well written character's will withstand the test of time. The character's may lack cell phones, tablets and the latest forensic science, but that goes unnoticed. To anyone who remembers clifford irving or to new readers, this is a solid piece of legal/c ...more
Mary K Russell
Jan 23, 2016 Mary K Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breathless

Very few books build up to such a climax. The story leads you on, knitting all the characters together, giving you all kinds of information, some of which seems irrelevant. Then, at the end, is the court hearing, with any justice at all threatened by the impossible deaths of those absolutely necessary to testify. At the last possible minute, new, essential testimony is given, the truth explodes. What an ending!
Ron
Feb 18, 2015 Ron rated it liked it
Having read Clifford Irving's earlier novel "Trial" I wanted to follow up by reading "Final
Argument" where he again deals with the subject of an attorney taking on a very difficult case with long odds. This time the story centers around a Florida death row inmate days away from execution who's conviction is in doubt. An interesting book with a dramatic and surprise ending.
Denise
Aug 07, 2014 Denise rated it liked it
This was a good murder/trial story. An easy, fast read that told an interesting story with some interesting characters. The lawyer telling the story was deeply involved in the case, which gave the plot some twists and turns. I would recommend this book and plan to look at other Clifford Irving books.
Donna Shaw
Apr 27, 2015 Donna Shaw rated it liked it
I enjoy murder trials. This was a good story about a lawyer who put away a young man for murder who claimed to be innocent. Twelve years later, and the death penalty is about to be enforced. The lawyer believes that he was sending an innocent man to his death. He decides he has to stop this from happening.
Maureen
Aug 13, 2014 Maureen rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable court room suspense. A prosecuting attorney wins his case and puts a young man behind bars with a death sentence. Twelve years later as the death row sentence looms a month away the former prosecutor learns about new evidence on the case and becomes his defender. Keeps one guessing as to what the outcome will be.
Rsallie
Pretty good

The is the first book in some time that I finished. The protagonist was flawed but not deeply, so I found him to be relatable. The story was well trod material, but over all, well done. I will read more by this author.
Martin Gafner
Sep 27, 2011 Martin Gafner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roman eines Justizdramas. Staranwalt Ted Jaffe entdeckt durch Zufall einen Zeugen, der vor Jahren in einem Mordprozess, in dem er die offentliche Anklage vertrat, falsch ausgesagt hatte. (Spannend, suffig)
Djrmel
May 16, 2011 Djrmel rated it liked it
Decent courtroom mystery, with better use of supporting characters than most. The Florida setting was interesting, especially with the details offered about their legal system and their use of capital punishment at the time the book was written.
Adam Childs
Sep 16, 2016 Adam Childs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good characters, great atmosphere. Not a terribly complex plot but neither was it straightforward - I wasn't quite sure (although I had an idea) of who did what until close to the end. Perhaps a little 'Perry Mason' at the end but not enough to worry about.
Hazy
Dec 16, 2016 Hazy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eh. Not that bad, but really drags down in the middle, mainly because of the side-plot about a family member who's a drug addict. The ending is also pretty predictable and, as a legal thriller, it's not really that fun to read.
Judi Dalton
Feb 24, 2015 Judi Dalton rated it really liked it
I think lawyer mysteries are a favorite of mine, partly because I usually learn something new about the law . This is the second book of his I've read and I will look for more. Interesting story and people
Deborah Craigen
Jul 31, 2016 Deborah Craigen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best!

I immensely enjoyed this legal thriller. I hope this author has written some more books for me to read. This book kept my attention from beginning to end and was never slow moving.
Patricia Spagnoli
Final Argument

This was an excellent book. I don't know how I could have missed it when it was originally released. Clifford Irving is an excellent writer and I look forward to reading his other books.
Gloria Hargrave
Jun 20, 2014 Gloria Hargrave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One good read.

simply spell binding,an excellent look into the story behind the story. cops and lawyers deal with the same people 24/7. they speak the same language, a thin line between the two.
Pamela Small
May 26, 2014 Pamela Small rated it really liked it
It is always a treat to discover a new author, and I am so glad I happened upon Mr.Irving! Courtroom drama and legal thriller and superb story telling ala John Grisham. Can't wait to read more from this author!
Sue
Feb 24, 2016 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Not only a well written courtroom drama, but also a fascinating and suspenseful story with superb character development. I will definitely read more of Clifford Irving's books.
Diane Wachter
RDC-M V 5, 1993, 11/93. A prominent lawyer discovers that he may have sent an innocent man to death row 12 years ago, and must now undo the mistake, even if it costs him his world. Very good.
Oma
Jan 11, 2016 Oma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clifford-irving
I enjoyed this book. I didn't like the main character at first...wasn't the best husband, father and made serious mistakes as a lawyer. But as the plot continued, Jaffe finally redeemed himself!
FRANKLIN E. COHEN
A must read for lovers of legal thrillers

Exciting to the end . Great characters well flushed out by Irving and as good as a Gresham story. Enjoy.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 08, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
good plot but too much junk
  • Shadows on the Mirror (Sarah Fortune, #1)
  • Angels Passing (DI Joe Faraday, #3)
  • Pay Off
  • The Color of Night
  • The Reunion
  • Undone
  • Wasted Years (Charles Resnick, #5)
  • Diary of a Small Fish
  • Shocking True Story
  • Betrayal
  • Out of the Sun
  • The Amethysts
  • The Alchemist
  • Ruthless Game
  • Quiet as a Nun (Jemima Shore, #1)
  • The Pinocchio Syndrome
Clifford Irving is the author of 20 published books & just released 12 of his works as Kindle/Nook eBooks; he is currently writing a memoir called Around the World in 80 Years.
More about Clifford Irving...

“Could be. Unlikely, but” 3 likes