Start by marking “All The Trouble In The World” as Want to Read:
All The Trouble In The World

All The Trouble In The World

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,179 ratings  ·  66 reviews
A writer for Rolling Stone and the #1 bestselling author of Parliament of Whores and Give War a Chance, O'Rourke gives us his hilarious take on the problems of the world. From overpopulation, famine, and plagues to ecological disasters, ethnic hatred and poverty, political correctness will never be the same.
Paperback
Published November 10th 1995 by Picador (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about All The Trouble In The World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All The Trouble In The World

Adrienne
His subtitles to the chapters are excellent. Overpopulation: Just enough of me, way too much of you. He helps you realize it's not population density that's a problem, it's lack of freedom and rule of law. And people who claim to worry about overpopulation are really just disguising their racism (Too many brown people).

Famine: All guns, no butter. Somalia is the case study for how you can actually have a lot of food around and people will still starve due to political repression. It was so absur
Pat
Kind of weird to read a (what is admittedly a well written, for the form) right wing screed from the mid 90's today. LOTS of stuff that would go over like a fart in church, i.e. constantly tying abortion to black people (Fun fact, actually worked at an abortion clinic, VERY high percentage of white people there. Solid majority.) throwing the homeless under the bus as a bunch of crack addicts, and a wierd, overwhelming obsession with Gore and Hillary. I guess it's nice to be reassured that the in ...more
Erica
"We are no longer in grave danger of the atomic war which, for nearly fifty years, threatened to annihilate humanity and otherwise upset everyone's weekend plans. The nasty, powerful and belligerent empire that was the Soviet Union has fallen apart. It's nothing now but a space on the map full of quarreling nationalities with too many k's and z's in their names--armed scrabble contestants."

"It was a world in which "nigger" was not a taboo name, but the second half of "Beavis and Butt-head" would
Jesse Broussard
Very enjoyable and informative (with particular eloquence on the subject of famines and overpopulation).

Worth reading once, and worth referring to after that.

"Sorry Al (Gore), for calling you a fascist twinkie and intellectual dolt. It's nothing personal. I just think you have repulsive totalitarian inclinations and the brains of a king charles spaniel."
Kelly
I think P.J. O'Rourke is really funny. He travels around the world trying to discover the causes of why some places suck and others do not. He's irreverent, he notices and appreciates absurdities and his facts are well researched. Learning about bureaucracy, economics, disasters, famine, etc... has never been so much fun.
Bill
This book wqas very influential in disturbing my innocent liberal view of the world. I especially liked the chapter comparing the population density of Fremont California to Bangladesh. While this book didn't turn me into a reagan republican it did puncture some of my more liberal assumption of the world. :-)
Hai Quan
It is political incorrect to say the great majority of all people in the the U S if not the whole world are stupid, apathetic,brainwashed zombies or sleepwalkers.

Proof ? No need to look further than the fact the pea size brain cowboy G.W.Bush Jr. was elected not just one time, but also the second time as the Prez of the Evil Empire.Under the Emperor Bush ruling , everywhere you went , you hear blatant lies, self-serving rhetoric, arrogant accusations and threats, and nonsensical blabbing .They w
Raegan Butcher
One of the funniest writers in the world.Practically everything by O'Rourke is worthwhile.
Melvyn Harris
I'd been meaning to read some of P. J. O'Rourke's work for a while now - finally I made time to and it was worth the wait. Knowing his credentials as a political humourist I knew more or less what to expect. In this book he investigates fashionable(*) worries such as over-population, famine, plague, multi-culturalism, ecology, the environment and economics. On the way he takes a swipe at the political classes who seem unwilling to deal with these problems, who cannot seem to devise any solutions ...more
Andrew
Let me say this up front, I am a PJ O'Rourke fan. If you find his particular brand of Libertarian tinged conservatism offensive, you probably will not enjoy this book. On the other hand, if it doesn't bother you, this is a funny and informed look at a lot of issues that worry modern Americans. His personal take on famine and pestilence is not exactly gentle, but its fun. This is my second favorite of his books after the immortal parliament of Whores. While neither as rapier sharp nor as spot on ...more
WT Sharpe
Even those of us on the other side of the political fence must admit--if only begrudgingly--that P.J. O'Rourke can be very funny and entertaining.
Noah
Although I applaud anyone who maintains a chapter-long analogy between Fremont, CA and Bangladesh, this book feels overreaching, in terms of both its scope and its contrarianism. It's overly long, and sometimes O'Rourke sounds like he has run out of steam and has resorted to playing the character of himself. Like Peace Kills, I preferred the first chapter, a summary of his general sentiments. I have to conclude that O'Rourke works best when he's covering everything that's wrong with the human ra ...more
Anthony
I can't deny that the guy can be funny, even if his politics are unpalatable.
Gerald Kinro
Funny. O’Rourke pulls no punches in going after the fashionable worries, those that appear constantly in the news but about which most of us are rally ignorant about. O’Rourke travels the world to explore real problems-- overpopulation, famine, plague, and multiculturalism. While reading this, I felt that we in America have it pretty good compared to many in India, South America and the like. The author does the job of informing us with humor and not by whining which many books of this type will ...more
Jben
Not great. Probably the book that begins his progression from Amusing Libertarian Writer to That Bore At The Bar Who Thinks He's Funnier Than He Really Is. Cringe-inducing commentary on the environment. Worth it only for the reportage from the then-new Czech Republic and the Balkans.
Martyn Kinsella-Jones
Of all the O'Rourke titles I've ever bought, this has to be my all time favourite. P J takes his sarcastic scalpel to all sorts of political sacred cows and finds himself answering the question 'Where's the beef?' My current copy goes everywhere with me as a kind of 'dip into' read for all those moments when the world seems a little crazier than usual. Down to Earth in a screaming re-entry trajectory kind of way.
Graham Polando
Occasionally hilarious (as always), but the political shots felt cheaper (and more dated). Parliament of Whores is brilliant political humor--this just doesn't quite measure up. Can be skipped.
WR
My boss pulled this book off a shelf in his (rather extensive) collection, highlighting it as a really funny book. And indeed it was! I found myself laughing out loud many a time, and yes, the subtitles are so, so hilarious! Also quite amazed that the Problems of the 1990s still seem current today. Or maybe that should be tragic,
Danelley
Sep 04, 2008 Danelley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Danelley by: Adam
P.J.O'Rourke always gets me thinking. I like his wit, and his conclusions are so interesting. The section on Famine was especially eye-opening.

Just watch out for language! There can be quite a few cusses in his books.
Susan
I read this a long time ago, and I wonder if my opinion of it would change if I read it again today. I remember this book being funny, and that he's a clever guy and a good writer. I don't recall agreeing with a lot of it though.
Benjamin Alexander
very funny..very insightful. the ending will surprise you. Jason Farley says he's a Christian, though when he wrote this one, I don't think he was. Some of his other books are way dirtier than this one.
Big Mike
O'rourke is a drunken Irishmen with some out of whack bullshit typical rich white man ideals. That being said for whatever reason i find his books a sad yet brilliant commentary on the state of things.
Courtney
Rhetorically fun in teensy-tiny doses. Easily gets old and hard to care about, but worth picking up just for the commonplaces in the first 10 pages. His message exposes folly without answering in hope.
Patrick
I own a copy of this book, but some one borrowed it and never returned it. I'm pretty sure it was Geoff... from years ago. :-) I suspect it's somewhere, still lurking at his parent's place.
Curtiss
P.J. takes a look at the world's various trouble spots and gives his opinion as to the primary cause and (sometimes) a cure for them; told with his characteristic wit & insight.
Deane
PJ is always funny, but this one is best read at the time it was read. The best of the most timeless PJ would be Parliament of whores and eat the rich.
Linda Robinson
Just goes to show what happens when one overcomes a prejudice: for a conservative O'Rourke uses his brain and his words more than most. Cheers!
Micah Harding
Anything provocative that involves both travel and humor will please me. I'm glad to see that O'Rourke has a couple of other similar titles to try.
Daryl
Mar 13, 2008 Daryl rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in seeing the world from a different perspective.
Is anyone wearing their brown ribbon?

Mr. O'Rourke has the ability to effectively deliver his points, in spite of brilliant satire and humor.
Rebekkila
Oct 05, 2012 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Page Count for ISBN 0871135809 2 13 Oct 12, 2013 12:01AM
  • Shut Up & Sing: How Elites from Hollywood, Politics, and the UN are Subverting America
  • Useful Idiots: How Liberals Got It Wrong in the Cold War and Still Blame America First
  • The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western Success
  • Unhinged: Exposing Liberals Gone Wild
  • The Declaration of Independents: How Libertarian Politics Can Fix What's Wrong with America
  • Who Let the Dogs In?: Incredible Political Animals I Have Known
  • Hollywood vs. America
  • Dave Barry Talks Back
  • Letters from London
  • Hidden Order: The Economics of Everyday Life
  • Guilty: Liberal "Victims" and Their Assault on America
  • The Way Things Ought to Be
  • In Defense Of Women
  • 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America: (And Al Franken Is #37)
  • Capitalism and the Historians
  • Civil Rights: Rhetoric or Reality
  • Reflections in a Jaundiced Eye
  • The Tyranny of Clichés: How Liberals Cheat in the War of Ideas
P. J. O’Rourke was born and raised in Toledo, Ohio, and attended Miami University and Johns Hopkins. He began writing funny things in 1960s “underground” newspapers, became editor-in-chief of National Lampoon, then spent 20 years reporting for Rolling Stone and The Atlantic Monthly as the world’s only trouble-spot humorist, going to wars, riots, rebellions, and other “Holidays in Hell” in more tha ...more
More about P.J. O'Rourke...
Parliament of Whores: A Lone Humorist Attempts to Explain the Entire U.S. Government Holidays in Hell: In Which Our Intrepid Reporter Travels to the World's Worst Places and Asks, "What's Funny About This" Eat the Rich: A Treatise on Economics Give War a Chance: Eyewitness Accounts of Mankind's Struggle Against Tyranny, Injustice, and Alcohol-Free Beer Age and Guile Beat Youth, Innocence, and a Bad Haircut

“When are the world's political parties going to get appropriate symbols: snake, louse, jackal, ... trash can, clown face, ... dollar bill with bat wings on it?” 13 likes
“Being gloomy is easier than being cheerful. Anybody can say "I've got cancer" and get a rise out of a crowd. But how many of us can do five minutes of good stand-up comedy?
And worrying is less work than doing something to fix the worry. This is especially true if we're careful to pick the biggest possible problems to worry about. Everybody wants to save the earth; nobody wants to help Mom do the dishes.”
7 likes