Start by marking “Intellectual Foreplay: A Book of Questions for Lovers and Lovers-to-Be” as Want to Read:
Intellectual Foreplay: A Book of Questions for Lovers and Lovers-to-Be

Intellectual Foreplay: A Book of Questions for Lovers and Lovers-to-Be

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This solutions-oriented guide offers problem solving and behavior changing strategies for people working on their most intimate relationships. The book provides readers with: enhanced knowledge of their own and their partners' beliefs, values, habits, desires, goals, likes, and dislikes; ideas for opening communication and deepening a relationship; skills for making health ...more
Published January 20th 2000 by Hunter House

To ask other readers questions about Intellectual Foreplay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intellectual Foreplay

Elizabeth
While browsing the shelves at my public library, I came across this very interesting book. I had been poking around the relationship section looking for something fun and/or helpful to read. I had already picked up one of those “how well do you know your significant other” books, but this one intrigued me more. Mostly because the title was interesting. lol

Some backstory: I’m really bad about asking deep, probing questions, especially about personal matters. It’s just not something I like to brin
Jaclyn
This is a great book for anyone who really wants to develop their relationships. It's designed specifically for people who are thinking about becoming, or already are, romantically involved. However, the author also notes that there are certain sections that are really good for any relationship, and there are some that are also appropriate, and even important, for roommates and people thinking about living together.

I love getting to know you type books, and I particularly like this one because I
Pete Storm
While it's a little touchy feely and has a definite hippy vibe, I like the premise. "Here's a bunch of questions you can ask before you jump into bed with someone"

The advise is pretty good in terms of how to approach the questions and how to work them into conversations. The anecdotes support the text fairly well, and the narrative of the method works out pretty well.

We're pretty deep into our marriage, so a lot of the questions weren't relevant, but a couple provoked some thought.
John
Apr 20, 2007 John rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dating & married couples
Great book for people wanting to establish or round out a relationship. It's filled with questions dealing with married life. The idea is that potential spouses take time to ask the questions so that they can determine how they both see the answers. This can help to identify potential problems and bring both people closer as they work out a solution.

Great read for anyone dating and wondering if this is the one or a married couple who needs to discuss things.
Julie
Difficult book to rate for me. I think a lot of the questions are very good and important, but they are questions I've already asked or been asked for the most part. Does that mean they are obvious, or does it mean that when you're in a long-distance relationship these sorts of questions tend to come out? I don't know.

So, I'll recommend the book with the caveat that the questions might be really helpful OR really obvious.
Jim
An interesting approach to new or existing relationships. The premise is that people usually spend more time and effort researching and buying a house than they do when looking for a partner. Poses questions to ask a potential partner that may help one to really understand who the other person is and how well a relationship with them might work. Good reading, and I've used the questions in practice with varying success.
Roxanne
Sep 28, 2011 Roxanne marked it as unfinished
Shelves: self-help
F and I have two copies of this book--we started reading it together when we were long-distance, talking about the questions over the phone. It was really interesting, but then we got engaged and he moved here before we could finish it, and now we're well on our way to knowing everything about each other.
mlady_rebecca
It's a book for couples, but I used it as a source of self-exploration. Another fill-in book from 2001.
Jen
Oct 19, 2014 Jen added it
I'm on page 61, and actually, it's really helpful so far!
F
F added it
Dec 10, 2014
Jade Harlot
Jade Harlot marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Maryjoy Montederamos
Maryjoy Montederamos marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Clarissa Moreno
Clarissa Moreno marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
The Kid
The Kid marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Lori Thomas
Lori Thomas marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Shyla
Shyla is currently reading it
Oct 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Art of Kissing
  • The Long-Distance Relationship Survival Guide
  • Keeping the Love You Find
  • 1001 Ways to Be Romantic
  • Too Good to Leave, Too Bad to Stay: A Step-by-Step Guide to Help You Decide Whether to Stay In or Get Out of Your Relationship
  • The Film Encyclopedia: The Most Comprehensive Encyclopedia of World Cinema in a Single Volume
  • Quick and Easy Thai: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • The NPR Guide to Building a Classical CD Collection: The 350 Essential Works
  • A Blueprint for Your Castle in the Clouds: Make the Inside of Your Head Your Favorite Place to Be
  • Jung on Active Imagination
  • Mars and Venus Together Forever: Relationship Skills for Lasting Love in Committed Relationships
  • If2...: 500 New Questions for the Game of Life
  • Cavemen, Monks, and Slow Food: A History of Eating Well
  • 100 Simple Secrets Of Great Relationship
  • So, You're A Creative Genius, Now what?
  • America's Obsessives: The Compulsive Energy That Built a Nation
  • The Homebrewer's Garden: How to Easily Grow, Prepare, and Use Your Own Hops, Malts, Brewing Herbs
  • The Post-College Guide to Happiness
Way of the Winding Path: A Map for the Labyrinth of Life Virtual Foreplay: Making Your Online Relationship a Real-Life Success The EROS Equation: How to Unlock the Love in Your Life How to Love Your Marriage: Making Your Closest Relationship Work Intellectual Foreplay: A Book of Questions for Lovers and Lovers-To-Be