Start by marking “Soul Drinker (Soul Drinkers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Soul Drinker (Soul Drinkers, #1)

Soul Drinker (Soul Drinkers #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  342 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The human Imperium is in a perpetual state of war against alien aggressors, but the lines between humanity's defenders and enemies are blurred. Now on a mission to retrieve an ancient relic, the Soul Drinkers Chapter of the Space Marines is forced to make an impossible choice between remaining loyal to the Emperor of Mankind and being true to themselves.
Published November 19th 2002 by Games Workshop(uk) (first published November 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Soul Drinker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul Drinker

Jean-Luc
It is a truth universally acknowledged that Space Marines do not look before they leap. To be blunt: Space Marines, the genetic heirs to The Emperor of Mankind, can be pretty damn stupid.

This is the first book in the Soul Drinker saga, a 6-book exploration of the Adeptus Astartes' complete lack of self-reflection. I accidentally read the last book in the saga first as it was serialized in Hammer and Bolter's 1st year, which severely ruined this book for me. They are Space Marines, yes, but not y
Stephan
I must say that from time to time it's interesting to read about the genetically enhanced super soldiers of the Imperium of man. I can't really say that this was one of the better though.
We get to follow a chapter in a downward spiral. Slowly tainted by chaos, but still never quite falling...
The writings not always the best with a lot of over the top characters and events. But the story as a whole, with infighting between different imperial factions is very well handled. The way the Mechanicum,
Callum Shephard
This introduction to the series isn’t that good. While not the worst thing Black Library has ever published it has very distinct problems in pacing, direction and general logic.

Set in the dying days of the forty-first millennium (no change there) the Soul Drinkers are active throughout the Imperium. A fleet based chapter with a glorious history, their acts have been well documented and their deeds remembered. From the dark days of the Second Founding to helping end the mad reign of Goge Vandire,
Dylan Murphy
Nenia Campbell

|| Twitter || || Facebook || || Booklikes || Pinterest ||

A friend lent the omnibus edition of the first three Soul Drinkers books to me. I guess it's based off a video game series -- which I haven't played, although I do love me some science fiction. The Warhammer universe is space opera meets military science fiction. If you haven't played the games, there is a wiki for it (what isn't there a wiki for these days?), although it isn't very helpful.

In SOUL DRINKER, the first book in the seri
Michael T Bradley
Andrew Ziegler
Good origin story about a hardcore bunch of ass kickin Marines who seemed to recognize the rot that has taken hold of the Empire that they have sworn to protect. However, I think it was pretty obvious that they were being given the gift of Change by Chaos and not the Emporer, so the big reveal kind of fell flat. However, their decision to rebel against Chaos and become warriors of "right" no matter the cost and no matter the fact that they dont have any allies on either side of the war was prett ...more
Karl
Soul Drinker isn't great writing, but it's not terrible either. As a background story for Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000 game it does its job. It's hard to say how it would read to someone not familiar with the game, but I suspect it might be quite confusing. I also thought there wasn't much difference between the characters. But overall, it was fairly entertaining. Hey, at least I finished it!
Dennis Liggio
Not your typical Space Marine novel. Starts slow, but eventually gets interesting. The story of space marines forced into turning their back on the Imperium due to a conflict between duty and administration. They become renegades, but still try to serve the Emperor.
Ben
Ben Counter is my favourite author.

Soul Drinker was excellent.

The story flowed really well, the characters were complex and the action was so well described I felt as though I was there, even if I wished I wasn't. The writing is very powerful.
Scooter
This was most likely to be the first book I read from Ben Counter and it did not dissapoint.

I thought it kicked butt the first time I read it and thought the same when I read it again recently.

Two thumbs and two big toes up.
Kurt Criscione
The fact that all the Black Library books have 1 of five plots... perhaps I should say patterns... or theme... whatever you want to call it i'm becoming tired of it, which is sad as I have many more of their books to read...
Patrick
Great 40k space marine action, with the key addition of having a truly unique chapter in a truly unique situation. Loved the antagonist. Enjoyed having mechanicus involved. Great story.
Dave Kirlin
It was a good novel, although I thought the transitions between some of the larger time periods (such as when they find Brokenback and when it's operational) was a bit odd.
Kamal Sawyer
A fair enough first bk in the Soul drinkers chapter. The mutant bit is a bit to absorb at first but the last bk in the Soul drinkers series justfies everything. Worth the
Bomber
Bomber marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Tim
Tim added it
Jul 24, 2015
Benjamin Brown
Benjamin Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Daralis
Daralis marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Lady Nightfall
Lady Nightfall marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
George Sinclair
George Sinclair marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
  • The Armour of Contempt
  • Rynn's World
  • Sons of Dorn
  • Dark Apostle
Ben Counter, as well as making several contributions to Inferno magazine, has written the Soul Drinkers and Grey Knights series and two Horus Heresy novels for the Black Library. He is an ancient history graduate and avid miniature painter with a bronze demon under his belt.
More about Ben Counter...

Soul Drinkers (7 books)
  • The Bleeding Chalice (Soul Drinkers, #2)
  • Crimson Tears (Soul Drinkers, #3)
  • Chapter War (Soul Drinkers, #4)
  • Hellforged (Soul Drinkers, #5)
  • Phalanx (Soul Drinkers, #6)
  • Daenyathos (Sould Drinkers, #7)
Galaxy in Flames Battle for the Abyss Grey Knights (Grey Knights, #1) The Soul Drinkers Omnibus (Soul Drinkers, #1-3) Grey Knights: The Omnibus (Grey Knights, #1-3)