Start by marking “The Street Philosopher” as Want to Read:
The Street Philosopher

The Street Philosopher

I like the Setting here...Also the TIME PERIOD makes it interesting.
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Street Philosopher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Street Philosopher

Maria
Jun 16, 2016 Maria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no-one
Shelves: historisch
Het leek me boeiend om te lezen over de Krimoorlog en over hoe het voor oorlogscorrespondenten in die tijd geweest moest zijn verslag te doen van het strijdtoneel. Daarnaast vind ik het Victoriaanse Engeland altijd fascinerend. De auteur is historicus dus wat dat aangaat zat het ook wel snor.
Maar toch vond ik het boek, eerlijk gezegd, helemaal niks. De feitjes zullen wel kloppen maar het verhaal voelde nergens ècht. Teveel bloederige slagvelden zonder oprechte emoties, teveel ongeloofwaardige ro
Barb
Maybe this book isn't for everyone, but it was perfect for me. I loved the witty sense of humor, the amusing, slightly annoying, defiantly antagonist Mr. Richard Cracknell, the hostile perfectionist Lieutenant Boyce, and their very serious yet somehow comedic rivalry that unfolds on the battle ground of the Crimean War.

I thought the author did a wonderful job of bringing each character he created to life, I loved them and hated them accordingly. Thomas Kitson, writer for the London Courier, has
Antonia
Feb 21, 2011 Antonia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
i am overwhelmed, really. and really quite happy that i finished it finally. it is a good novel, very good even. however, i could only give it three stars because it took so much out of me emotionally. the author drew me in deeply and i felt deeply for the characters. given the amount of injustice, bad luck, forlorn hope and love, and descriptive battle (including bodily injuries and their aftermath) it was quite an ordeal.
i enjoyed reading words i hadn't for a while, it was pleasant to read a n
Maya Panika
Apr 14, 2012 Maya Panika rated it it was amazing
To paraphrase Edmund Blackadder, this is a journalist's tale; a rollicking roller-coaster of a good read.

Set during and after the Crimean War, this is an historical novel of an unusual kind that heavily favours characterisation over tedious detail and blood. There is plenty of the latter, especially when the Crimean War is under way, but always with an eye to the teller of the tale – the eyes of five very different men and two women.

The novel switches back and forth between the events of the C
Tocotin
I had to stay home and asked my SO, who was going to Shibuya, to buy me something, whatever, at the BookOff. This is the book I got. I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know much about the Crimean War beforehand, so I'm happy I read this. The plot is quite unusual: it involves three war correspondents, an evil officer, his beautiful French wife, and a painting by Rafael, and the story is set in the Crimea and in Manchester after the war. Queen Victoria makes an appearance, and surprisingly there is no ...more
Niall Fitzpatrick
May 10, 2016 Niall Fitzpatrick rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book more as it's set around the Crimea War of which I know little and of mid 19th cen Manchester of which I read a good bit of in the novels of Gaskell. The actual Crimea scenes were interesting, the inhospitable conditions and the general chaos of war are well depicted although I did find some of the battle scenes hard to follow with a lot of the military terms needing fuller explanations for the unacquainted with that era of warfare.

My biggest problem with this b
Leah
Jan 05, 2016 Leah rated it liked it
This is pretty different from my usual reads - set in the Crimean War in 1855, it's filled with gory descriptions and death. Yay!

But in all seriousness, it started out pretty okay and gradually got better - telling the story from about six different characters' perspectives. This was great in some areas, but not in others. One of the main aspects that drove the storyline was the enmity between the 'bad guy' and one of the side characters, which I felt left the protagonist sort of useless and not
Jane Schoelkopf
Jun 08, 2009 Jane Schoelkopf rated it really liked it
Not the kind of book I usually find myself reading - all a bit gung-ho about the Crimean war, very blokey, i thought at first. But it held hidden secrets..! One of those books you just have to keep on reading to find out what happened next. The plot is fairly convoluted and the narrative jumps back and forth between different periods of time, but it held me gripped and a bit surprised at how easy it is to enjoy a different genre! And I learnt all about the Crimean War to boot!
Katy
Dec 29, 2015 Katy rated it liked it
Thomas Kitson was in the Crimea as an embedded newspaper correspondent but witnessed an act of betrayal that made him stop writing and start nursing the injured soldiers with Mary Seacole. Fast forward a few years and he's the society gossip columist for a Manchester paper, but some faces from his past are gathering in town. I liked Thomas, and the woman he starts to fall for, but many of the other side characters seemed unrealistic, and I think I'd have preferred a book about Mary Seacole herse ...more
Lucy Cokes
Jan 08, 2013 Lucy Cokes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When this book sat on my 'to-read' shelf I seriously thought it was written by a woman: something about the design of the cover made me think it was going to be one of those romantic historical fictions - akin to Elizabeth Chadwick, maybe. How wrong I was!

Plampin's novel journeys from one side of the war to another, a war that maybe is looked over. It mentions in the back that the Crimea was a mixture of the Napoleonic wars and the First World War - and it is, in the way that our usual perceptio
Brad
Apr 17, 2012 Brad rated it liked it
The Street Philosopher – by Matthew Plampin

From the thickened grit of the Crimean War to the dimly lit and civilised streets of Manchester in the 1850s, author Matthew Plampin offers love, mud and almost everything between them, in his novel The Street Philosopher.

With the Russians now invading Turkey and the British on the front line, promising art critic for the London Courier, Thomas Kitson, has left the London lights and fashioned a life as a war reporter. Joined by his senior reporter Richa
Dawn
Jan 20, 2015 Dawn rated it did not like it
Well I can't really write a very detailed review for this one as I couldn't encourage myself to finish it. According to the other reviews it does get better and maybe I should have stuck with it, but in general if a book hasn't grabbed my attention within the first fifty pages then it's never going to. I found this book slow, confusing as it jumps back and forward in terms of time and location and lacking in characterization. Maybe that is the reason I have never heard of Mathew Plampin before.
Elke Lenders
Oct 31, 2015 Elke Lenders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
De Krim in de 19de eeuw. Een verslaggever die zijn verleden als oorlogscorrespondent niet achter zich kan laten en een romance tussen Richard en de getrouwde Madeleine die niet veel goeds voorspellen. Een goed boek, maar bepaalde details blijven me op een of andere manier niet bij. Misschien moet ik het later nog eens lezen.
Kay Rose
May 01, 2014 Kay Rose rated it really liked it
Not usually my thing, but this book drew me in and kept me reading till the end! Love the characters and the Crimean setting was depicted really well - would certainly read more by Matthew Plampin if he's followed this up.
Grace
Jul 31, 2013 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-read
When I began reading this book, after the first few pages, I considered giving up or abandoning it because I didn't think it would be the sort of book that I would enjoy. Ultimately I did enjoy it, although I found the style a bit plodding and was put off initially by the very descriptive account of the Crimean war. I'm glad that I persevered with it, the story although a bit convoluted I did enjoy it in the end.

The style in which it is written moves backwards and forwards over time to build the
Michael Heath-Caldwell
Aug 30, 2013 Michael Heath-Caldwell rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-history
A very well written book based on the Crimean War, delving rather sharply in to the problems of the British Army and Navy, and the rather tense relationship between leading officers that led to the Charge of the Light Brigade - in the wrong direction. More useful background information was in Hell Riders: The Truth about the Charge of the Light Brigade-which is a far more documentary book about the campaign.
Clint
Apr 19, 2012 Clint rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. A work of historical fiction, it explores the troubled relationships between two war correspondents covering the disastrous Crimean War in the 19th century, and the subsequent events that take place between them upon return to society. The book is an interesting take on the oftentimes rigid class distinctions in Victorian England, as seen both in the military (with often disastrous results) and within Victorian society. I recommend it as a page-turner that you won ...more
Martijn Onderwater
Uiteindelijk was dit best een leuk boek, met een pakkend verhaal, wat spanning, en flink wat vraagtekens. Persoonlijk vind ik het ook altijd leuk als, zoals in dit boek, meerdere verhaallijnen tegelijk gebracht worden. Helaas blijf ik toch moeite hebben met het lezen van vertalingen; ook in dit boek is duidelijk merkbaar dat sommige zinnen geen natuurlijk Nederlandse structuur hebben. Verder heeft de vertaler platte Engelse taal-accenten vertaald naar Nederlandse accenten, en dat komt erg kunstm ...more
Sophie
Feb 15, 2015 Sophie rated it it was ok
Bit meh about this. Not a fan of the battle scenes.
Brooke
May 11, 2013 Brooke rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I struggled with this book, but to be fair, probably many of my reading sessions for the first half of the book were a bit too short to allow myself to get into it. The characters are interesting (I should have kept a running list to keep them straight in my head), and I enjoyed the bits that focused on the characters and their relationships. I found the bits about the war to be a bit tedious, but I am not at all a war enthusiast
Megan Kelosiwang
Oct 18, 2015 Megan Kelosiwang rated it really liked it
Shelves: europe, england, kindle
A story rich in atmosphere. I love historical fiction but the Crimea is not an era I know much about. I enjoyed the characters and the storyline managed to hold together a wide array of people and places easily. A book written by a history buff filled with relish, delight and a justifiable amount of outrage.
Karen
Aug 04, 2013 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janette Fleming
Jul 30, 2010 Janette Fleming rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book with a duel narrative one taking place during the Crimean War and the other in Manchester in 1857. You learn about the horrors of the disaster that was the Crimea and the war correspondences of the time. Full of strong, unforgettable characters and driven by a compulsive storyline.
Jay Aitch
Apr 22, 2013 Jay Aitch rated it liked it
This book was a real education for me as I didn't know a great deal about the Crimean war. Twists and turns, love and treachery all beautifully woven together by a skilled author. I'd recommend it but it's not an easy read, it's intense and at times exhausting but well worth reading.
Kevin
Apr 24, 2014 Kevin rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the way in which the story was presented in two different time-frames but was ultimately underwhelmed by the ending. A great read but I felt that it lacked the explosive ending that would have lifted it to being a classic.
Hywel
Mar 04, 2009 Hywel added it
This historical thriller, set during the Crimean War, was written by a friend of mine and has only just been published, so I'm encouraging everyone to read it. Only three chapters in so far - will add more when I've made more progress.
Angel
Jan 30, 2010 Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this entertaining and a bit mind opening. I realise it is fiction but it made me wonder about the time of the Crimean War. I will be reading more about this war and the causes of it.
Sarah Churchill
May 01, 2013 Sarah Churchill rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I really struggled with this book, and kept leaving it half read to go and read something else. Maybe the first half of the book was too slow, but I just didn't want to finish it.
Linjea
Apr 07, 2010 Linjea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mooi verhaal over de engelsen in de Krimoorlog. Goede beschrijvingen van de ontberingen tijdens deze oorlog en verschil tussen de elite en het gewone soldatenvolk.
Dennis
Nov 18, 2014 Dennis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Ik registreerde een boek op BookCrossing.com!
  • House of Ghosts
  • Devil's Dream
  • Knights of the Cross (Demetrios Askiates, #2)
  • Transgression
  • De verborgen geschiedenis van Courtillon
  • Two Trains Running
  • Gods Go Begging
  • Small Wars
Matthew Plampin was born in 1975 and grew up in Essex. He read English and History of Art at the University of Birmingham and then completed a PhD at the Courtauld Institute of Art, London. He now lectures on nineteenth-century art and architecture.
More about Matthew Plampin...