Start by marking “Interrogations at Noon: Poems” as Want to Read:
Interrogations at Noon: Poems

Interrogations at Noon: Poems

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Winner of the American Book Award

Dana Gioia, an internationally known poet and critic, is notably prolific with his essays, reviews, translations, and anthologies. But like his celebrated teacher, Elizabeth Bishop, Gioia is meticulously painstaking and self-critical about his own poems. In an active 25-year career he has published only two previous volumes of poetry. Altho
Published March 1st 2001 by Graywolf Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Interrogations at Noon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Interrogations at Noon

Don
Oct 16, 2014 Don rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: us, poetry
Gioia gave a brilliant lecture this week in D.C. on poetry and read one of his own poems. I was much taken and was glad to be able to read this book of his. He spoke to the unity of poetry, music, and dance, and how they connect with us at a physical level through how our brains are wired to derive pleasure from rhythm, rhyme, movement, and words, and not just as intellectual constructs. Openly advocates returning poetry recitation to the curriculum so that students get a chance to experience it ...more
Tony Rabig
Worth the price of admission just for "Summer Storm" and "Unsaid."
Jilly
wow very predictable. why did this win the American Book Award?
Jennn
Interrogations at Noon was thoughtful, each poem was quietly building strength. Less like a punch in the face and more like a letter you're not sure you should send. I didn't find the title poem satisfying, however, and I thought it was a little bland.

"Failure" was good - the idea already thought of, but eloquently written.

"Divination" was a good example of repitition and was tightly bound together.

As stuffy as "Elegy with Surrealist Proverbs as Refrain" sounds, it was actually very captivating.
Seth Holler
When I started this volume last week, I was disappointed by the first dozen poems. I started over today from the beginning and found them all lovely. Strange. I don't think I know the extent to which my disposition shapes my reading. Also I don't like the style of the cover illustration.

Afterthought from Evelyn Waugh: "Elegance" is a quality in writers who recognize that "no two words are identical in meaning, sound and connotation."
The rating system on Goodreads is lacking.

Four of the poems in this slim collection I would rate five stars (Interrogations at Noon, The Bargain, Summer Storm and Unsaid), the rest I would give two. It averages out to be about three stars overall but that doesn't really mean anything.

I don't know if in five years time I would rate them the same. I've found poetry to be pretty subjective. In my case it comes down to the visual and emotional strings that the poet can pull and that depends on my b
Black Elephants
When I first read this book of poetry, I wasn't sure what to think because of the voice. Who was talking? The poet? A persona? I liked the poems where I could be certain, like in the poems that were inspired by other poets (Seneca), written to be songs (Three Songs from Noseferatu) or translations.

Then I got to hear Gioia speak, and I found it interesting to learn that he writes every poem from a persona, or at least 99.99% of them. I believe that's different from many modern day poets who write
Bryant
Gioia now heads the National Endowment for the Arts, but he's also a poet. He experiments in these poems, which makes me admire him. In this collection he tries on rhyming couplets, surrealist elegy, satirical ballad, free verse translation of Seneca (!), and even includes portions of his libretto for the opera Nosferatu. Slim and tender.
Elia
Words is one of my all-time favorite poems and Long Distance sums up perfectly how it feels to be separated from someone you're in love with. Gioia's poetry is accessible and so human. This is one of my favorite books of poetry.
John
Oct 16, 2008 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Poets and those who enjoy poetry
My bias is toward poets who are more direct in what they are saying. This work I found a mix of stunning and hard to grasp poems. Still, the poems that reached me were enough to make me want to read more of this talented poet.
Penny
Gioia's poetry exudes tenacious attention to word choice, rhyme, rhythm, and themes. While not overt, there exists an undercurrent of spiritual depth that draws the reader into the author's experience and toward self-reflection.
Emily Wood
very into form, can feel a bit preachy at times. i have started reading his latest, Pity the Beautiful and it seems much more personal
Jeremy
Blown away by this; favorite poetry I've read since Franz Wright. I plan on getting the rest of his stuff.
Christina Borgoyn
Some thought-provoking pieces included in this collection.
Colin
Dec 16, 2007 Colin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who appreciates poetry
This is an outstanding collection. Enough said.
Ie
Very generous with cliches.
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Becca
Becca added it
Nov 08, 2014
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
P.J. O'Brien
P.J. O'Brien marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Karla
Karla added it
Sep 20, 2014
Anna
Anna added it
Aug 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Dana Gioia is an internationally acclaimed and award-winning poet. Former Chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts, Gioia is a native Californian of Italian and Mexican descent. He received a B.A. and a M.B.A. from Stanford University and an M.A. in Comparative Literature from Harvard University. (Gioia is pronounced JOY-uh.

Gioia has published four full-length collections of poetry, as well
More about Dana Gioia...
The Art of the Short Story Can Poetry Matter?: Essays on Poetry and American Culture Pity the Beautiful: Poems The Gods of Winter Twentieth-Century American Poetics: Poets on the Art of Poetry

“The daylight needs no praise, and so we praise it always- greater than ourselves and all the airy words we summon.” 3 likes
“What if we had walked a different path one day, would some small incident have nudged us elsewhere the way a pebble tossed into a brook might change the course a hundred miles downstream?” 2 likes