Start by marking “Interrogations at Noon: Poems” as Want to Read:
Interrogations at Noon: Poems

Interrogations at Noon: Poems

Winner of the American Book Award

Dana Gioia, an internationally known poet and critic, is notably prolific with his essays, reviews, translations, and anthologies. But like his celebrated teacher, Elizabeth Bishop, Gioia is meticulously painstaking and self-critical about his own poems. In an active 25-year career he has published only two previous volumes of poetry. Altho
Published March 1st 2001 by Graywolf Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Interrogations at Noon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Interrogations at Noon

Tony Rabig
Jun 03, 2011 Tony Rabig rated it it was amazing
Worth the price of admission just for "Summer Storm" and "Unsaid."
Jilly
Jul 06, 2007 Jilly rated it it was ok
wow very predictable. why did this win the American Book Award?
Jennn
Apr 20, 2009 Jennn rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2009
Interrogations at Noon was thoughtful, each poem was quietly building strength. Less like a punch in the face and more like a letter you're not sure you should send. I didn't find the title poem satisfying, however, and I thought it was a little bland.

"Failure" was good - the idea already thought of, but eloquently written.

"Divination" was a good example of repitition and was tightly bound together.

As stuffy as "Elegy with Surrealist Proverbs as Refrain" sounds, it was actually very captivating.
Black Elephants
Oct 07, 2011 Black Elephants rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
When I first read this book of poetry, I wasn't sure what to think because of the voice. Who was talking? The poet? A persona? I liked the poems where I could be certain, like in the poems that were inspired by other poets (Seneca), written to be songs (Three Songs from Noseferatu) or translations.

Then I got to hear Gioia speak, and I found it interesting to learn that he writes every poem from a persona, or at least 99.99% of them. I believe that's different from many modern day poets who write
May 04, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
The rating system on Goodreads is lacking.

Four of the poems in this slim collection I would rate five stars (Interrogations at Noon, The Bargain, Summer Storm and Unsaid), the rest I would give two. It averages out to be about three stars overall but that doesn't really mean anything.

I don't know if in five years time I would rate them the same. I've found poetry to be pretty subjective. In my case it comes down to the visual and emotional strings that the poet can pull and that depends on my b
Seth Holler
May 29, 2014 Seth Holler rated it really liked it
When I started this volume last week, I was disappointed by the first dozen poems. I started over today from the beginning and found them all lovely. Strange. I don't think I know the extent to which my disposition shapes my reading. Also I don't like the style of the cover illustration.

Afterthought from Evelyn Waugh: "Elegance" is a quality in writers who recognize that "no two words are identical in meaning, sound and connotation."
Bryant
May 23, 2007 Bryant rated it really liked it
Gioia now heads the National Endowment for the Arts, but he's also a poet. He experiments in these poems, which makes me admire him. In this collection he tries on rhyming couplets, surrealist elegy, satirical ballad, free verse translation of Seneca (!), and even includes portions of his libretto for the opera Nosferatu. Slim and tender.
John
Oct 16, 2008 John rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Poets and those who enjoy poetry
My bias is toward poets who are more direct in what they are saying. This work I found a mix of stunning and hard to grasp poems. Still, the poems that reached me were enough to make me want to read more of this talented poet.
Penny
Jan 10, 2013 Penny rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-books
Gioia's poetry exudes tenacious attention to word choice, rhyme, rhythm, and themes. While not overt, there exists an undercurrent of spiritual depth that draws the reader into the author's experience and toward self-reflection.
Elia
Jan 02, 2008 Elia rated it it was amazing
Words is one of my all-time favorite poems and Long Distance sums up perfectly how it feels to be separated from someone you're in love with. Gioia's poetry is accessible and so human. This is one of my favorite books of poetry.
Jeremy
Jun 10, 2010 Jeremy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Blown away by this; favorite poetry I've read since Franz Wright. I plan on getting the rest of his stuff.
Joanne Gass
Jan 08, 2015 Joanne Gass rated it it was amazing
Because Dana Gioia was coming to speak to the Patrons of the Library, I read all of his poetry. I love it. Enough said.
Emily Wood
Mar 21, 2013 Emily Wood rated it liked it
very into form, can feel a bit preachy at times. i have started reading his latest, Pity the Beautiful and it seems much more personal
Fritz
Fritz rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2007
Bianca
Bianca rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2008
Quincy Lehr
Quincy Lehr rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2014
Leslie Vogl
Leslie Vogl rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2014
Paul Dyczkowski
Paul Dyczkowski rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2011
Christina Borgoyn
Feb 11, 2013 Christina Borgoyn rated it really liked it
Some thought-provoking pieces included in this collection.
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2009
Simeon Berry
Simeon Berry rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2007
Doug Wilson
Doug Wilson rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Ie
Sep 12, 2013 Ie rated it did not like it
Very generous with cliches.
Mica
Mica rated it liked it
May 31, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2015
Davina
Davina rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2011
Sarrah
Sarrah rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2011
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Evan
Evan rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dana Gioia is an internationally acclaimed and award-winning poet. Former Chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts, Gioia is a native Californian of Italian and Mexican descent. He received a B.A. and a M.B.A. from Stanford University and an M.A. in Comparative Literature from Harvard University. (Gioia is pronounced JOY-uh.)

Gioia has published four full-length collections of poetry, as wel
More about Dana Gioia...

“The daylight needs no praise, and so we praise it always- greater than ourselves and all the airy words we summon.” 5 likes
“What if we had walked a different path one day, would some small incident have nudged us elsewhere the way a pebble tossed into a brook might change the course a hundred miles downstream?” 5 likes