A Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians: Eastern and Central North America

A Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians: Eastern and Central North America (Peterson Field Guides #12)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  6 reviews
This newly designed field guides features detailed descriptions of 595 species and subspecies. The 656 full-color illustrations and 384 drawings show key details for accurate identification. More than 100 color photographs and 333 color photographs and 333 color distribution maps accompany the species descriptions.
Published May 15th 1998 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published January 1st 1975)

Jessie (saxgrl1)
Not my favorite field guide, but there are few Reptile and Amphibian guides out there. The description of Mudpuppies is slightly offensive to the southerner. "...but southerners, not to be outdone in coining colorful names, refer to it and all its relatives as "waterdogs." Throughout much of Dixieland, "mudpuppy" is also used by contry folk..." Is any of the elaborate discription necessary? How about "In the south, it is commonly referred to as a "waterdog."
Aside from that, an ok field guide. Sl...more
Alan
love it love it love it. All that information on all those southern endemics! Biogeography the same as the plants!

I've known this book since its first edition. It just keeps getting better... arguably the best of all the Peterson field guides.
Clif
This has a different cover than the version I have.

I read this book all the time when I was growing up, hoping I could tell which snakes we would have to avoid while on vacation in Florida and the like. Still one of my favorites!!
Naja
This field guide was actually first published in 1958, and has been continuously updated since then. Any field herper in their right mind should have this in their collection.
Sheri Fresonke Harper
Useful book for identifying all those creatures you run into in the backyard and out in the National Parks. Good photographs and descriptions. Regional maps are at the back.
Ken-ichi
This was one of my best friends growing up. I guess that says a lot.
Chad
Emily
Emily added it
Jul 14, 2014
Val
Val marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Tial
Tial marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Amanda Gayle
Amanda Gayle marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Nicholas Wilson
Nicholas Wilson marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Kansas Wetlands Amphibians And Reptiles In Kansas Amphibians, Reptiles, and Turtles in Kansas Natural Kansas A Guide to Great Snakes of Kansas