Start by marking “Wyrmhole (Jack Stein Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Wyrmhole (Jack Stein Series #1)

Wyrmhole (Jack Stein Series #1)

Jack Stein lives and works in the crowded, semi-organic city known as the Locality. He's hired by the Outreach Mining Company to investigate the mysterious disappearance of one of its mining crews on an uncolonized planet. But his psychic dreams are full of strange mystical symbols and red herrings, making Jack wonder if Outreach truly wants the miners found. And the ...more
Published October 7th 2003 by Roc (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Wyrmhole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wyrmhole

Sunset by Jay CaselbergThe Jackal Dreaming by Jay CaselbergAustralian Dark Fantasy & Horror 2007 by Angela ChallisOctoberland by Jack FisherPowers of Detection by Dana Stabenow
Jay Caselberg's Works
17th out of 38 books — 2 voters
Sunset by Jay CaselbergThe Jackal Dreaming by Jay CaselbergThe Star Tablet by Jay CaselbergWall of Mirrors by Jay CaselbergMetal Sky by Jay Caselberg
Caselberg
6th out of 46 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Kae Cheatham
Jul 15, 2010 Kae Cheatham rated it liked it
Shelves: spec-fiction
SF Mystery
Interesting concept of a psychic investigator in Future Earth. Good characterization. The story seemed to fall apart near the end: characters appeared that didn’t seem necessary and I’m not convinced of the logic presented for solving the case. Protagonist Jack seemed a bit dense about some of the mid-book clues. The title also gave away a good part of the mystery.
Nathan Burgoine
Jan 01, 2013 Nathan Burgoine rated it it was ok
This was a promising set-up, a psychic detective in a future Earth. The psychic PI, though, was somewhat soft: he certainly worked with his intuitions, but after the first few, I was thinking, "Um, buddy, shouldn't you be working some more typical investigating as well?" Also, he's... well, a bit dense.

The mystery is this: some miners on a far-flung asteroid have gone missing, and the big corporation who hired him seems a tad shifty. A clerk working for the company gives the detective some infor
Jim
Jun 23, 2007 Jim rated it liked it
Jack Stein, Psychic Investigator. It's a great hook, and Jay Caselberg brings in some wonderful ideas over the course of his debut novel Wyrmhole.

Stein is hired to investigate the disappearance of a miner. He's also hired to learn more about a lost handipad (PDA) that comes into his possession. Naturally, the cases are related, leading him into a web of business deals and betrayals.

I wanted this book to be more than it was. I never felt all that connected to the protagonist, or to any of the cha
Gary O'Brien
Mar 16, 2016 Gary O'Brien rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those that like science fiction or mysteries
Wyrmhole is a mystery set in an future that is much different than any I have ever imagined.

It is a story about a P.I. (Psychic Investigator)that lives in a city that is constantly rebuilding itself as it travels across the land.

He has a very difficult case that may be beyond his abilities.

The characters have real depth and seem to be real people.

I recommend this book to anyone that likes mysteries or science fiction (or both).
David
Jun 21, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Maybe a bit less than 4 stars. Private Detective story - multiple clients, various suspects, thugs, woman trying to seduce him to sidetrack his investigation, corporate mischief, wheels within wheels, etc. Interesting future setting. Not what you'd call a hard-boiled PI. The PI is a "psychic investigator" - but that's essentially intuition, "luck" and some dreams which have clues if you can figure out what they mean. So it didn't really incite my aversion to "psychic powers" in SF.
Brett Bydairk
Dec 22, 2013 Brett Bydairk rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, mystery
Jake Stein is a psychic detective, and not a good one. He gets a case, then a related one, and stumbles around finding things out, getting beat up and finally figuring things out with much help from a precocious young girl.
There are clues the reader has put together, but not Jake; I can't tell if it's supposed to be that way, so I guess it is, to show us just how bad he is.
Mildly entertaining.
Chip
Aug 21, 2013 Chip rated it it was ok
First read this and its sequel some years ago. Just saw them and two others in the series available in a $9.99 omnibus kindle edition, which I bought. Upon the re-read, time apparently has been kind to my memory of Wyrmhole. It was ok, but not great. Both Richard K. Morgan and Peter Hamilton have done the science fiction detective story far better.
Elissa (crz4drwho)
Jan 02, 2011 Elissa (crz4drwho) rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2010
Very interesting concept of a futuristic world. I am not sure how much I believed in the main character. At times he seemed dense and wimpy. The story also was a bit choppy or disjointed in areas. The ending was pretty anti-climatic. I did however was really intrigued by the character of Billie. I wouldn't mind knowing more of her story.
Tasula
Feb 13, 2012 Tasula rated it liked it
I gave this book only 3 stars because I didn't think the writing style was enthralling. I DID think the idea of a city that ages and renews itself was very interesting, and some of the characters in this book were very well written.
Karenb
Feb 03, 2014 Karenb rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, ocls
GOod for a beach read. However, upon writing this review a month later I cannot recall how it ended. That says a lot.
Mikec2012
Mikec2012 rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Lt
Lt rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2011
Jonathan Lovatt
Jonathan Lovatt rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2015
Joseph
Joseph rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2014
Deidre
Deidre rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2012
Peter Roach
Peter Roach rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
William McNeill
William McNeill rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Wanda Laloggia
Wanda Laloggia rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2016
Bernt Ove
Bernt Ove rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Janin
Janin rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2011
Colin
Colin rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2014
Toni
Toni rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2007
Jacob
Jacob rated it it was ok
Nov 04, 2011
Joe Randazzo
Joe Randazzo rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2012
M Lewis Hansen
M Lewis Hansen rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2014
john
john rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2016
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Ceil
Ceil rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2011
Dawn
Dawn rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2014
Frank
Frank rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Thinning the Predators
  • Grounded! (Nicole Shea, #2)
  • Forests of the Night
  • Runner (Run #1)
  • Wolf's Trap (Wolf Cycle, #1)
  • Deadstock
  • Recursion (AI Trilogy #1)
  • Carve the Sky
  • Hard Candy
  • Scardown (Jenny Casey, #2)
  • Circuit of Heaven
  • The Lifeship
  • Forged By Fire (Dragon Temple Saga, #3)
  • A for Anything
  • There and Back Again
  • Crash Deluxe (Parrish Plessis, #3)
  • Days of Atonement
  • The Shadow Runners (2176 Series, #3)
Jay Caselberg is an Australian author based in Europe. He has lived and worked in multiple countries around the world, at last count, around 70. He thinks of himself primarily as a short fiction writer and poet who also sometimes writes novels. His works span science fiction, fantasy, horror, literary and combinations of all of them.

Pen Names: James A. Hartley.
More about Jay Caselberg...

Jack Stein Series (4 books)
  • Metal Sky (Jack Stein Series #2)
  • The Star Tablet (Jack Stein Series #3)
  • Wall of Mirrors (Jack Stein Series #4)