Start by marking “Life-Size Zoo: From Tiny Rodents to Gigantic Elephants, An Actual Size Animal Encyclopedia” as Want to Read:

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  276 ratings  ·  37 reviews
An elephant's trunk is so nimble, it can pick up a single blade of grass, and yet so strong, it can knock over a tree. Giraffes have eyelashes. Sloths hang from trees for days at a time without going to the bathroom. These are just some of the insights featured in Life-Size Zoo. Acclaimed wildlife photographer Toyofumi Fukuda visited Japan's premier zoos to capture remarka ...more
Published April 7th 2009 by Seven Footer Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Life-Size Zoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life-Size Zoo

Amy Brown
Most awesome book with photos the size of actual animals or parts of animals (like an elephant's head or a rhino's horns which apparently are made out of hair!) Lots of fun facts. Will be a hit with any kid.
Michelle
Filled to the brim with amazing interactive features, every single part of this fabulous book is covered with information. From the end pages which feature thumbnail-sized, full-body photographs of the different animals featured in the book complete with the official name of the animal and its vital statistics to the brilliant, giant, fold-out features and additional fun-facts in the margins—not a single inch space is wasted. Life-Size Zoo is a wonder to behold and will absolutely delight animal ...more
Raina
Aug 07, 2009 Raina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: j, nonfic
I sure wish I was still doing outreach, if only to booktalk this book! It's primarily comprised of life-size photographs of popular zoo animals, with fun facts (many regarding methods of defecating), as well basic info about this particular animal. The presentation is totally fun, with fold-out pages for some of the more massive animals. You can totally feel the fact that it originally came out in Japan.
My only issues with it are that I wish they had a small scale photograph of the whole animal
Esther
Published in 2009 by Seven Footer Press
Interest Level: K-2nd Grade.

This is a terrific informational book about animals for younger kids or slightly older kids who have can read small print. I enjoyed looking at the headshots of the animals and the various sizes that were represented in the book. The only problem I had with the book was the small type used to show the informational bits on the sidepanels of each two-page spread.

The variety of animals is astounding for a short children's encyclope
Beth
This oversize book of photographs is packed with fun facts about various zoo animals. The photos are "life-size" -- so even though the book is large, the larger animals were cropped down to only a head (or an eye, in the case of the elephant!). My three-year-old wanted to read this one several times.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
I like this book so much. I pushed it off on several parents seeking books for their kids. How could someone go wrong with this book?

Here are things I liked about it: An information sheet about the animals on the front endpapers. A table of contents created to be like a zoo map (oh so clever). A part of the animal presented in full life-size. Things to look for on the drawing, up close. Cool facts about the animal.

And what great choices for animals: a panda, zebra, tiger (those scary teeth), g
Sep 03, 2010 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Sarah by: some library journal
This is the first of the _Life-Size_ books; I received the next one, titled _More Life-Size Zoo_, first...but they don't need to be read in order; after all, it's a nonfiction book!

This book is just as neat as the first one I read: the photographs are big and clear and have a handful of facts about the animal on each picture.

My favorite animals in this book include the red panda and the sloth: interesting animals include the aardvark and the anteater; and the animals that grossed me out were the
Kristy
This book is cute, but a huge pain in the ass for a library book.
Madeline
Super cool!
Lots of fun facts, really fun!
Lorelle
Because it was available at my local library, I used the second book "More..." first in my classroom. My students loved it and wanted more. So I borrowed this book via inter-library loan and my students still couldn't get enough! The huge photos really draw the kids in. My one wish, however, is that the text features didn't take such a back-seat role in that the font is far too small and is barely noticeable.
Tara
Although there is no story, this book is interesting, informative, and fun. When I read this for storytime, I would ask the kids what the animals was, and then read the little blurb about the animal. I liked pointing out different things about each animal, like "Wow! This tiger's tooth is as big as my finger :) I didn't cover all the animals, I think I skipped about three or four after the capybara.
Mandy
Actual-size animal photos, a zoo-like table of contents, animal facts, questions to involve the reader...this book has it all. It presents a decent amount of information in a very kid-appealing way through the photos, fun lettering, and clean, colorful layout. I especially love the "Time for a Close-Up" section on each page, which asks the reader to notice specific details in the animal photo.
Madkropotkin
I highly recommend this book for all of you who have children. Especially those children that love animals. My son is an animal fanatic and I try to get him animal books whenever I see them. When I got him this one, we were both amazed. The theme is original and fun. The photographs are brilliant and the fun facts really give you a chuckle. Highly recommended!
Elizabeth
This lovely book is already on my fall outreach shelf. Oversize, outstandingly detailed close-up photographs of animals accompanied by details about those animals will grab div 2 students and get them to go back to this book again and again.

Mentioned at Reality Rules: bookbetsy.blogspot.com
An Abundance of Books
My students and I prefer the Steve Jenkins' Actual Size books, especially when sharing with a class, but LIFE SIZE ZOO is great for kids who enjoy Jenkins' books or animals in general. The pages are packed with interesting information and the high quality life size pictures are great. And the fold out zebra - everybody goes nuts over that one.
Diane
Good, quick introduction to different types of animals. The close up photography is fascinating. The size of the book, however, is a deterrent to purchasing: won't fit on most library shelves (without turning it on its side) and won't fit in a student's backpack. This increases the likelihood that the book will be damaged.
Cornelius
For first grade children, this is an excellent book to read to children so they can learn about different animals. I would use this book in the classroom to give the children the opportunity of being at the zoo while actually being in the classroom since the book has wonderful illustrations of a different animals.
Meredith
This whole series of books is amazing! So much information about animals and in a fashion the kids LOVE!!!! Too bad they are such big books, I would love to purchase these books but would need a bigger bookshelf to house them!
Claire Freeman
This is one of the coolest non-fiction books I have ever seen. Students get to see animals the size that they would be in real life. They also get to learn fun and interesting facts about each character!
Dan
This is a wonderful non-fiction book for my unit on zoo animals. It has great large pictures of animals and gives little facts on the side. My students enjoyed looking at this book.
Sara
Very cool! Oversized book with actual size pictures of animals. In some cases, the pictures are of only small parts of the animal, but it's life-size.
Sally
You can count the hairs on the zebra's chinny chin chin; see the human-like ear on the gorilla; see every bump on the tiger's tongue. Very cool.
Justin
This is perfect for any child who has a facination for zoo animals. My son has worn the book out. it is clearly one of his favorites.
Victor
A King family favorite.
Kara Curtin
This was so fun to see the actual size of the animals head. Great comparison lesson. Concept book that has awesome pictures.
Lisa
This is so cool, for kids ages 2 and up. Even as an adult I learned facts I didn't know about common zoo animals.
Jamie
Mar 17, 2010 Jamie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jamie by: Chris
Shelves: booklegger
great actual size pictures, interesting facts. Kids really like this.
Melanie Swider
Love the life-size photos of all the animals - very engaging for the kids!
Marti
Really cool book w/ life-size pics of zoo animals and lots of fun facts!
Lisa Lesyshen
Super cool photos of animals along with great info about them!
  • Down, Down, Down: A Journey to the Bottom of the Sea
  • Wolfsnail: A Backyard Predator
  • Mermaid Queen: The Spectacular True Story Of Annette Kellerman, Who Swam Her Way To Fame, Fortune & Swimsuit History!
  • An Egg Is Quiet
  • Redwoods
  • Feathers: Not Just for Flying
  • Owen and Mzee: The True Story of a Remarkable Friendship
  • Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau
Life-Size Aquarium More Life-Size Zoo: An All-New Actual-Size Animal Encyclopedia Life-Size Farm Life-Size Zoo. by Teruyuki Komiya Animales Al Natural 3.: Un Zoologico Portatil.