Ember from the Sun

Ember from the Sun

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In the blue ice of an arctic cave, a scientist has made an extraordinary discovery: a woman's body, frozen for 25,000 years in a near-perfect state, with pliant tissues, vessels filled with blood--and an embryo waiting to be born....

They called her Ember, the child of their heart, born to surrogate parents who refused to yield her after birth.Raised among the Quanoot India...more
Published June 9th 1997 by Dell (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Ember from the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ember from the Sun

Linda  Branham Greenwell
First I will paste what the review says:
The story begins as Dr. Yute Nahadeh discovers a well-preserved, frozen Neanderthal woman in Alaska. As he studies the woman, he discovers that she was pregnant at her death. He decides to implant the embryo and create a Neanderthal to study firsthand. He finds a hungry, homeless teenage couple to serve as the surrogate parents. After the birth of the child, the couple decide that they cannot give her up and raise the baby girl named Ember. Neither of the...more
Tiffany
I loved the premise, but didn't get into it as much as I hoped. I don't know if I would have liked it better if another writer had tackled the project???
Ladyjexie
"full of that magical, awesome marriage of science and art"
It's possible that when I re-read it I may upgrade to five stars.
Mindy
Listened to this book driving to San Francisco. It was amazing! Made the time just fly by.
Dana Sieben
I'm only on page 65, so the writing could get better, but I doubt it. The story is very good and I find it interesting, but the writing is amateurish, especially when describing the character of Yute. I thought, at first, that he was a teenager by the way his lines were written and how he acted. He comes across as very very young, not a scientist at all. I assume he is scared of wolves, but to shoot a wolf his sister was feeding? There was no sense of urgency, no warning, just an unneccesary dra...more
Cynthia
Iris Boter
intrigerend gegeven, mooi geschreven maar wel wat langdradig en weinig to the point met bovendien wat te mooie toevalligeheden.
Carolyn F.
Audiobook. Mystical. I really enjoyed this audiobook. FYI the narrator is the same one who did the voice of Pocahontas. Ember is the result of an embryo miraculously being viable in the body of a cavewoman. The scientist doesn't tell the surrogate parents but they feel such a closeness to the baby, they take her home knowing that the scientist doesn't really want anybody to know what he did. The parents are also only 16. Ember looks different, talks different and is stronger. She goes to find ou...more
Linda
A secret gem. I found this book on my bookshelf without knowing how I acquired it, most likely at a library book sale. It sat there for years, with its nondescript cover, not at all screaming to me to be read.

But I'm so glad I finally picked it up. No one else I know has heard of this sweet book but it's well worth finding a copy! The gist is that a scientist finds a frozen neanderthal embryo and implants it in a young native woman's womb. The story follows the neanderthal girl growing up in an...more
Claudia Putnam
I read this many years ago. I didn't love the writing, and sometimes the story faltered, but the concept was intriguing. I think it may have been the first book to play with the idea of raising a neanderthal child in our world. For me what was interesting were what would be the differences and the similarities. How well would she pass? And what would make her an outsider no matter what? I'm not sure I would imagine all this in the same way, but I'm grateful for the food for thought.
George Stellingwerf
Wonderfully creative story that could have been written better. Thankfully the story is creative enough that a little suffering on the writing doesn't detract from it too badly. I did finish the book and enjoyed it. Some minor changes and the book would have gone from good to great.
nimrodiel
See where this book travels next, at: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/5...
Trey Palmer
Fantasy.. inconsistent, but entertaining, if a bit irritating at times.
Kaby
This story is so fantastically utter fiction and so wonderfully beautiful!
Willa Tsao
Willa Tsao marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Rebecca Ritz
Rebecca Ritz marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Evelyn
Evelyn is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2014
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Cindy Laing
Cindy Laing marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
  • Rabbit in the Moon
  • Kingdom of Cages
  • Season of Wonder
  • Fanpire: The Twilight Saga and the Women Who Love it
  • Suffer Little Children (Sister Fidelma, #3)
  • Hell Kat
  • Sea without a Shore (Moontide and Magic Rise, #2)
  • Keeper and Kid: A Novel
  • The Olive Harvest: A Memory of Love, Old Trees and Olive Oil. Carol Drinkwater
  • From Black Rooms (Violet Eyes, #4)
  • Port Eternity (Age of Exploration, #1)
  • Coffee And Kung Fu
  • Dress Rehearsal
  • Alpha & Omega: Call of the Hunt (Alpha & Omega, #0.5-1, 2-3)
  • Where Did I Come From?
  • People of the Owl (North America's Forgotten Past, #11)
  • Mute
I was raised in Kentucky hill country in a metropolis of 400 tobacco and hog farmers, where I belonged to the only Jewish family in the universe.

In my dharma-bum youth, I hitchhiked and jumped trains across the Western States and Canada and went through jobs from pizza chef to surgical orderly, massage therapist to rock-show stagehand.

After getting a journalism degree, I wrote for a few Florida...more
More about Mark Canter...
The Bastard: A Secret Never Told Down to Heaven Second Nature Orchard of My Eye La Fille Des Glaces: Roman