Start by marking “The Tenderfoot Bride” as Want to Read:
The Tenderfoot Bride

The Tenderfoot Bride

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  602 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Will Tucker is a gruff impatient rancher, eager to hire an experienced cook and housekeeper so he can shift part of the workload from his own shoulders to those of the capable Widow McConoughy.

Then Linnea McConoughy shows up. She's young. Timid. And entirely inappropriate for the hardships and workload she's hired to handle. And she has secrets...
Paperback, Harlequin Historicals #679, 304 pages
Published November 2003 by Harlequin (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Tenderfoot Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tenderfoot Bride

Lisa Kay
Ranch in Colorado, USA
Photobucket
Poor Will Tucker. He not only has to put up with his cantankerous, widowed, elderly, step-mother, but now the cook and housekeeper his sister hired for his Colorado ranch is nothing but a timid little brown mouse. Expecting a sturdy, middle-aged widow, you can see why he is aggrieved. He doesn’t need “another lame piece of baggage.” But just wait until he finds out she’s pregnant! Whoa-doggies!

Photobucket

Nevertheless, the frightened young widow, Linnea McConaughy, is capable of muc
Penny Watson
Review for The Tenderfoot Bride (Harlequin Historical).

This is an oldie (2007) by Cheryl St. John, and I loved it soooooooo much that I actually bought a print copy after reading the ebook. And I NEVER do that.

This has a gruff hero with a heart of gold (which he tries to deny), a battered, determined woman who is desperate to make a new life for herself, a traditional western setting, and a slow, simmering, satisfying romance with a divine HEA. I loved the determination and strength of the her
willaful
Jul 24, 2011 willaful rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Americana romance
Love slowly blooms between a hard, difficult rancher and an emotionally scarred but determined woman. A simple, undramatic, but tender and satisfying romance.
Michelle Robinson
I just reread this book. It was really better than I remembered. What I didn't care for was the abrupt ending.
This couple doesn't really get together until the absolute end of the book and it feels as if we were cheated out of getting to enjoy their love.

Okay, I wrote the first part of this review, on my phone, I was in a hurry.
Initially, I didn't remember reading this particular book. However, the more I got it into the book, I remember the stepmother and her relationship with Tucker. She seems
Adl2614
A refreshing surprise! LOVED this book and the accurate detail of daily life in a rugged world and of one whose world is shadowed by fear of her past! A great story of overcoming your past and accepting the good that comes your way. Will be reading again soon!
Linda Sims
Will Tucker needs a housekeeper on his ranch he asks his sister to advertise and find him a suitable candidate. When Linnea arrives she's not what Will was expecting at all, instead of the sturdy middle aged widow he thought would arrive, instead is this diminutive woman who looks like she hadn't eaten in a month, her clothes were worn and dowdy. Not one to hold back his feelings Will's tirade almosts blasts poor Linnea right off her feet. But having to look after a ranch, his aged stepmother an ...more
Ana
For a short category historical novel, The Tenderfoot Bride does pack an emotional punch. As much as we romanticize the old West, life was difficult especially for women on their own. As a destitute widow, the heroine’s options are limited and she finds herself doing things she’d never imagined just to keep mind and body together. In general romance novels are fantasy but so many of them do reflect the reality of life on the frontier and this book does exactly that. ~ Ana, www.ireadromance.com
Laura V.
*ESTO ES MÁS UN DESCARGO QUE OTRA COSA, DE SEGURO HAY MIL SPOILERS*

No es una historia muy romántica, pero aun así me gustó. Creo que de una forma u otra ambos terminarían juntos. Porque ambos se necesitan. Y creo que se llevarían muy bien.
Pero hay cosas que no me gustaron. Creo de Linnea principalmente.
Porque aunque es joven y de cuerpo menudo, ella termina cerrándole la boca a Will quien creía que no aguantaría ni un día. Pero ella es perfecta.
PERFECTA: No se queja, no llora. Cocina como los d
Gisela
Will was a bit of an asshat in the first 25% of the book, and Linnea got on my nerves after Will proposed, she kept going on and on about her past but we find out her story at the very end. I wished it had happened sooner. I'll chalk it up to baby blues. I really enjoyed Linnea's growth, especially when she bought the glasses for Aggie and learned to read. Many people here compare this to Heartnreak Creek, this one's better.
Irisheyes
I would give this book a 4.5! The only thing that kept it from being 5 stars is I would have liked 1 or 2 more chapters after the hero and heroine got together. I felt like I waited patiently through the whole book for them to connect and then when they did it was THE END. Kind of felt a little cheated. Otherwise, it was a really awesome read. Great characters and great story.
Sasha
This was a sweet little book. I found myself all wrapped up in the characters and their feelings. I enjoyed it quite a lot.
Cassie
This is one of my favorite books. I have read it a dozen times. I just love it
Lisa
Nice historical detail and realistic characters.
Kay
When Linnea arrives to Will Tucker's ranch as their new cook, Will is fuming mad. He expected an old widow and not a young, meek looking little mouse. Despite a rough meeting and even a dismissal, Will gives Linnea a chance to prove herself.

Will is one of those ranchers who come off really tough and mean. But as we get into the story, we see that he's actually a softy. He takes care of his men, he's loyal and he has a heart despite his rugged persona.

Linnea is recently widowed and has had a rou
Naksed
If you are in the mood for a sweet, old-fashioned cowboy romance, The Tenderfoot Bride is for you. The plot device of bringing together two seemingly ill-fitted people in close quarters and watch the hostile sparks slowly burn into intense love is nothing new but this is so nicely written that, even though you know the inevitable conclusion, you thoroughly enjoy the journey to get there. An added bonus was a very realistic and charming setting of the every day life in a Colorado Ranch in the lat ...more
Maqluba
3.5

A nice, quiet, quick read about a crabby hero and a heroine with a sad past. She's lived a life of hell in the hands of her husband and he slowly gets her to open up to him and he opens up in return.

I thought that there could have been so much more to the story, it was definitely too short. The added drama at the end was a little rushed and quite frankly unnecessary, and I wish we could have had more hero/heroine dialogue instead of just being in their heads all the time. There were so many
Khaoula
This was a sweet story, but the development of the story was somewhat abrupt, there was no natural flow and smoothness to the change of events, it was as if the change appeared out of nowhere, no way to anticipate it, therefore, no way to believe it occurred so suddenly out of nowhere!, and if you can't believe it, you can't enjoy it that much.But not to discourage anybody from reading the book, it is actually a very nice story, great characters, and no drama.
Melanie
Sweet, cheesy, and clean. Frankly, I don't think there's much to recommend this book, other than the "awwww" factor in the romance. But it was entertaining.

The writing is fine. Mostly invisible, but I did hate the author's chapter breaks. For some reason, she loves cutting up a chapter in the middle of a scene. Every time. It was rather annoying. Most of the time, the chapter breaks didn't make any sense, but that's just me being nit-picky.

The story is a pretty standard abused and alone woman fi
Mary Lauer
Not as emotionally overwhelming as The Doctor's Wife. And a MUCH stupider title, but that is beyond the author's control ... not sure why they are supposed to be connected. I didn't see any common characters.
Lyuda
3.5 stars. Predictable but very charming story of love that blossoms between hard working rancher and widow with a very sad past (abusive father, husband, etc.)
Patois
Linnea, secretly pregnant, goes to work for Will and must prove to him that she can shoulder the load. Heartwarming. On my Kindle.
Christopher
A sweet, straightforward, and genuine western mail-order romance between a gruff hero and a woman who deserves a HEA.
Sidney
This was the cutest western romance. A very enjoyable read, with great character's!
PNR
Liked this despite my general disinterest in pregnancy story-lines.
Lovetoread
He is a cold, hard ass rancher. She is a young innocent girl, recently widowed having a baby with no place to go. That is the start of Cheryl St. John's novel The Tenderfoot Bride. Ms. St. John is one of my favorite authors and her books always strike a cord in me and The Tenderfood Bride was not exception. It is a story of shame, self discoveries, self forgiveness and new beginning.

The story begins with Will Tucker, a gruff impatient rancher, eager to meet the experienced cook and housekeeper
UnusualChild{beppy}
synopsis:
linnea is sent by will's sister to be his housekeeper. when will sees that she is young and small, he decides that she won't do. he starts to take her back, even though she's served a nice breakfast and cleaned the place up. as they spend a night on the trail, he hears her crying, and decides to give her a chance. linnea has nowhere to go, she can't read or write, and she's pregnant. if will turns her out, she will be destitute. she does the best that she can to ensure that will won't d
Layla
Linnea has only ever known hardship and abuse in her life. She finds herself alone and penniless and grasps the opportunity to work for Will Tucker, who needs a cook and housekeeper for his remote ranch. As Linnea is sent by Will's sister he expects a good sturdy woman to do the chores.

When Linnea arrives he is shocked to see a small and - to his mind - fragile woman. He instantly decides to send her home and abruptly tells her so. Linnea is used to being knocked back, but decides to clean the m
Joleen
I've read a lot of the old-west romances and they nearly all start and end similarly, with plot differences in between where there's conflict, then the guy decides he loves the girl and they get married and have babies at the end. This one is sweet, well written and just enough plot differences to keep your attention all the way through. Makes you smile and doesn't make you roll your eyes, like some do. So I liked it.
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Those romance stories where the hero and heroine are constantly at each other's throats, even to the very end, just wear me down. Not enjoyable in the least.

If I ever think to read another Cheryl St. John, I hope someone slaps me.
  • A Taste Of Heaven
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Texas Glory (Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • Short Straw Bride
  • Cold Night, Warm Stranger
  • Romancing Olive
  • A Reason to Live (Forrester Brothers, #1)
  • To Kiss a Texan (McLain, #2)
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • Rose (Seven Brides, #1)
  • Maverick Wild (Wild, #2)
  • A Convenient Wife (Montana Mavericks: The Historicals)
  • Montana Bride
Cheryl is the author of more than fifty books. Her first book, Rain Shadow was nominated for Romance Writers of America’s RITA Award for Best First Book, by Romantic Times Magazine for Best Western Historical, and by Affaire de Coeur readers as Best American Historical Romance. Since then she has received three more RITA nominations, a Writer’s Digest award for a feature article, and several Roman ...more
More about Cheryl St.John...
His Secondhand Wife Sweet Annie (The Copper Creek Brides, #1) The Preacher's Wife Joe's Wife The Doctor's Wife